PDA

View Full Version : New Levels??

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 03:50 AM
I can play this game multiplayer all day long and not get bored of it BUT I'm sure as heck getting bored of the levels. 8 levels is not enough. Does anyone know if there are more levels in the works or if they're going to create a map editor so we can all make our own?

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 03:50 AM
I can play this game multiplayer all day long and not get bored of it BUT I'm sure as heck getting bored of the levels. 8 levels is not enough. Does anyone know if there are more levels in the works or if they're going to create a map editor so we can all make our own?

DisTurBeD_MuNkY
04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
Apparently they're going to release 2 new maps "shortly after release" or something.. its taking a while though, eh?

\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
Gamertag: Digger21
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\

http://www.imageshack.us/img1/2130/sig3.jpg

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 03:59 AM
sure seems like it. I'll console myself by thinking: "they're holding off on the new levels cause they're making a patch that's going to fix the mic, lag, shadow, install, and lobby browsing bugs"

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Black..Lotus
04-21-2004, 10:48 AM
lol, keep up the positive thinking dreamer

KANDLER
04-21-2004, 10:56 AM
sure..new MP maps would be great, but id like some new single-player missions. the whole SP game was way too short.

Colevant
04-21-2004, 10:59 AM
stupid lag cuased dbl post, mabad

MP Name(PC): CCCRRAAACCKKK

Colevant
04-21-2004, 10:59 AM
id like a whole newly coded game that wasnt a direct xbox port. I own a pc, and i dont wanna buy xbox crap, orelse i would have bought a damn xbox.

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah same here. I've always preferred pc games because there's freedom to do more with them. The trend in the gaming world the last few years, to start making games for consoles first, is really getting on my nerves. An xbox is a 733mhz cpu with a 64meg vid card. I have a 3ghz cpu with a 256mb vid card. I don't feel like downgrading.

Animus21
04-21-2004, 12:42 PM
hopefully they release these 2 new maps tomorrow... along with a tsunami update lol...

bubbaganoosh
04-21-2004, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Styphon57:
I've always preferred pc games because there's freedom to do more with them. The trend in the gaming world the last few years, to start making games for consoles first, is really getting on my nerves. An xbox is a 733mhz cpu with a 64meg vid card. I have a 3ghz cpu with a 256mb vid card. I don't feel like downgrading.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more. I wish they would go back to making games for PC first them porting them out to console. The whole problem, IMO, is console makers pressure software developers to make the games for them first (they have the marketing muscle so the developer caves). PC users are at the bottom of the pile (which is stupid cuz PC games look way nicer to me).

I do get satisfaction that games like HL2 and Doom III will not be ported to consoles, PC only (so far as I've heard). Score one for our side http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/mockface.gif

Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

KANDLER
04-21-2004, 01:00 PM
big whoop. its a sad fact that the XB puts nearly all other console systems to shame. why compare it against a PC?

its almost like they arent even in the same category. PCs are upgradable...you can invest alot of money in one. an XB comes ready to deal w/ just about any game thats made for it. it plays DVDs w/out buying any kind of sftware, stores as many MP3s as most comps, and allows for LAN connection gameplay.

personally, im very happy w/ my XB and the stellar graphics and gameplay it provides me w/. im also very glad i havent shelled out hundreds of dollars in upgrades like an idiot. I pay the 1 time fee for XB live and suddenly i get great online gameplay w/ guarenteed content downloads, ranking systems, friends lists, and first crack at patches and new options.......man...doesnt XB suck.

all you PC users are just damn lucky that Bungie heard all of you b*tching and decided give you Halo. (hopefully MS and XB game devs will return to making XB only game titles.)

console systems and games are the future of gaming...get w/ it. just wait til' XB2 drops.

by the way Halo 2 drops the same time for all systems, but was concieved w/ XB users in mind. hence XBL being revamped (today) to handle the intense MP gameplay associated w/ games like Halo 2.

the_gonzo_zone
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Hate to break it to you but both HL2 and Doom 3 are coming to Xbox. Consoles are easier to make games for...as time goes on your going to see more and more games being console first and PC second. I love my pc but console games are where the industry is going. There is way more money to be made making money for consoles than for pcs...its just a bigger market.

slavebunny
04-21-2004, 01:09 PM
half-life 2 and doom 3 are both in development for xbox.

xbox gamertag: slavebunny

Colevant
04-21-2004, 01:12 PM
only a bigger market cuase people settle for crap cuase they are to cheap and lazy to get a pc that can do so much more.

bubbaganoosh
04-21-2004, 01:16 PM
I stand corrected. That's ok though, I know those two games will look way nicer on the PC than a console.

Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

DisTurBeD_MuNkY
04-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey Kandler, I don't know where to begin.. It puts NEARLY all other consoles to shame? how many other consoles are on the market today really, 2? nearly all is what.. 1? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

1 time fee for XBox live.. yeah, 1 time fee.. then a year later you pay another one ti.. lets leave that there http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And you should feel lucky that you're going to get Doom III and Half Life 2 ported to XBox (damn us PC users, tarnishing the XBoxs good name with ports!) Cause hell only what, about a half or mabye 80% of the XBox game library is made up of ports or multi-platform releases?

Have you ever played a DVD on XBox? It needs a DVD Playback Kit.. hell, you're not buying Software, but you're sure as hell buying additional hardware to play DVDs.

Before I get flames for being a PC fanboy, or PS2 fanboy or something.. I just want to state that I have a Gamecube, PS2, XBox and PC and I buy whatever games I like for each system. So I'm generally impartial.

KANDLER
04-21-2004, 01:18 PM
take a look around your local game store....id say theres WAY more crap PC games out there than XB or PS2...actually...no, there are alot of gay PS games out there....and gamecube games are basically for kids only.

if being cheap saves me hundreds of dollars, fine...sh*t im cheap, but oddly receive more online game options w/ my XB than all u SCPT PC users.....weird.

what more does a PC need to be able to do? what magical things can ur PC do that and XB cannot? or should need to able to do for that matter?

in response to Digger,

ur right on several levels.

1) PS2 and CG are tough competition, and i was thinking about older consoles too (dreamcast, etc)
2) your right, $50 a year. which is still nothing compared to how much your getting in return. i kinda forgot since i won a years free subscription w/ my game.
3) the DVD hardware is $15.00....thats nothing compared to the vast amounts of hardware required for most PCs to play DVDs...unless they come w/ the software.

DisTurBeD_MuNkY
04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, possibly more crap PC games.. u know why? cause there are like 50 times more PC games than XBox games.

Also, your totally right.. Gamecube games are kids titles, Resident Evil, Metroid, Metal Gear Solid.. all highly recommended for 5 year olds. I'd say perhaps Zelda too.. but I presume you'd merely write that off as being a childs game because it takes a different approach to graphics than you'd like it to.

Also, comparing the XBox to older consoles is irrellevent as far as technology goes, for obvious reasons, which is why I mentioned just PS2 and Gamecube as being current.. but those older consoles have classic games, and have caused the evolution of gaming into what it is today.

Also, lets not forget that PS2 outsells both XBox and GC. Despite my personal feelings, thats fact. Personally I think developers are largely the cause for the bad PS2 games, as earlier titles on the console look fantastic, and a lot of new ones are very bad graphically.

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KANDLER:
take a look around your local game store....id say theres WAY more crap PC games out there than XB or PS2...actually...no, there are alot of gay PS games out there....and gamecube games are basically for kids only.

if being cheap saves me hundreds of dollars, fine...sh*t im cheap, but oddly receive more online game options w/ my XB than all u SCPT PC users.....weird.

what more does a PC need to be able to do? what magical things can ur PC do that and XB cannot? or should need to able to do for that matter?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PC's can do about ten thousand things an xbox can't. And even when xbox2 comes out, PCs are still going to be more powerful. True, xbox doesn't have to run the OS that a PC does but it doesn't account for much. Especially seeing as how 64bit processors are here now.

Nevertheless, I highly doubt PC games are going to fade away. computers are getting cheaper and more popular every year. Furthermore, games are getting larger and larger. How big of a hard drive is xbox 2 going to have?

But getting back to my original question and reason for this post, we need more levels. =)

Pseudo_Catalyst
04-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks styphon, i actually forgot what this thread was about, lol

If you think I'm in that dark corner down the hallway, I'm in the dark corner you just walked by.

PKstigmata
04-21-2004, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KANDLER:
take a look around your local game store....id say theres WAY more crap PC games out there than XB or PS2...actually...no, there are alot of gay PS games out there....and gamecube games are basically for kids only.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, you know, because Resident Evil is definitely the type of game you can leave your five year old with while you go and buy the groceries. And let's not forget, kiddie games are all crap because they're targeted at a different demographic!!! Play Super Monkey Ball, or Super Smash Bros. Melee, or Super Mario Sunshine, and tell me those aren't fun http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

if being cheap saves me hundreds of dollars, fine...sh*t im cheap, but oddly receive more online game options w/ my XB than all u SCPT PC users.....weird.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>More online game options with SCPT. What else do you get that we don't with SCPT? No new weapons, or levels... Oh, you get the completely standard headset. I'll admit, that's a high point.

what more does a PC need to be able to do? what magical things can ur PC do that and XB cannot? or should need to able to do for that matter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This one's a toughie. Let's see.... How does EVERYTHING sound? Word processing, Internet browsing, Email, MSN, movie editing, Photoshop, mod developing, level editing, coding, voice chat programs... There's no good reason why people should not "need" to be able to do any one of those things on a computer.

Granted, the Xbox does kick a lot of ***. Hell, I'm gonna buy one and a 12-month XBL subscription just for Halo 2. But the PC is where all the hardware and software updates end up first. That's one advantage we've got over consoles, right on top of a list of about a hundred others :P

----------

Gametag: stigmata
Pandora Tomorrow Multiplayer: Only on PC!

KANDLER
04-21-2004, 02:44 PM
i heard the XB2 is running on totally different components, things no other game comp, has seen.

in a newsletter i read a month or so ago, it said they may intergrate 3 separate HDs. then again, i also heard a rumor that MS is doing away w/ a HD all together and is going to use a totally new form of data storage. (for this i can guarentee that the cost of an XB2 will be extremely high, compared to the starting cost of the orginal XB.

an XB does everything it needs to, and its graphics are still good enough to compete with those of a PC. why else would so many peeps buy it?

and yes, more levels.

nice points Styphon

poseyjmac
04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
why else? well because people buy xbox because its cheaper than buying a whole computer, and its less complex and more user friendly. they can pop in a game and go.

Colevant
04-21-2004, 02:48 PM
the graphics do not compete with pc. well, maybe a low end pc. but those of us with good comps see how consoles arent really worth it.
New storage would probably be memory sticks, but those wont come out for awhile.
The graphics on farcry and doom3 for the xbox will have to be really tweeqed down, and i bet the fps will be around 30 for xbox, where our computers could pump out a infinite number of fps depending on how good our hardware is. The good part about being upgradable is, things can only get better whereas consoles are stuck.
And if u know ur pc parts well, u can get urself a computer thats way faster than the xbox for not that much more than what the xbox had cost when it first came out.

(SmokeCheeba)
04-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Are you kidding me??? I have a powerful PC with a good video card and I'd say that the xbox does a damn good job in the graphic dept, It just comes down to the developer and the money they spend. I;ve seen xbox games that look alot better on the xbox then the PC (a tricked out PC).

I;ve compared Xbox vs PC graphics (a good vid card) in SC:PT and I'd say that the xbox looks better.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3774/another.jpg

Colevant
04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
if the game looks better on xbox, is cuase the company didnt port it good enough to the pc.

Styphon57
04-21-2004, 03:03 PM
exactly. My graphics card alone give my computer the ability to display things an xbox can't.

BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A @#%$ #!@$%#$% level editor in the works?

Colevant
04-21-2004, 03:06 PM
they need to release a level editor for this game, cuase no one has patients to wait for a company to make 2 lvls every 4 months. lol

The_Lurker
04-21-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't mean to bursts anyones bubble, but it just seems to me that consoles are becoming more like PCs. With all this talk of hard drives and videocards in the new consoles, it's pretty easy to believe.

PS2's catch line is "Computer Entertainment System". It even has Computer right in the title.

Granted, consoles are gamer-tailored, so maybe that's where things need to go. To the consoles only I mean. If there was a gaming device that could pull of the flexibility of a PC (Mods, patches, tweaking and so on) BUT had the developer alure of a console (lets face it, the majority of "big name" companies work almost exclusively for consoles) than I'd be sold.

But as it stand, the Xbox is still in its infancy and doesn't yet have the flexibility I'm looking for.

In an ideal world the word "multi-platform release" would be obsolete. And there would be only one console we would need to buy to satisfy our needs.

But, instead we're stuck with virtually 4 different platforms that is almost impossible to get the gaming satisfaction from a single one. You're always stuck saying "But that game looks SOOOOO good!" only to fine out it's for Y console.

I just want to play really cool games, screw what platform it's on...

(SmokeCheeba)
04-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Do what I do, rent the system for a couple days. It costs about 20 bucks.

Im gonna do this for MGS3, and Resident Evil 4.

Predator_SYIH
04-21-2004, 04:06 PM
1. Pc has more games because its been out YEARS LONGER THAN HE XBOX! Jeez, you can't even compare that because of the difference alright.

2. Xbox has sold more because its been out longer than the xbox has been alright. If they released at same time who knows what would of happened.

3. PC's cost a crap load more than xbox and they need updates CONSTANTLY! and there are always viruses and all the bull crap. Also there are not many good online games for the PC, some are decent (Americas Army, BF1942, Battlefield vietnam for example) But then there are all those crappy games, icewind dale sucked, diablo was easy and got boring, etc.

oh and you people that are level 8 on the xb and everything need to get a life and start playing people your level instead of 2s' and 1s'. 5-10 points a game and to get in te 1700+ points. YOU NEED TO GET TO KNOW PEOPLE! thats tooo much game play. And if ur a bouncer and leave when u get ur *** beat so u don't lose those points, and just about every 6 plus person i've played with does, your a puss and should play frees instead. So yeah, try something hard instead.
http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/PredatorSYIH/pedsig.gif
"Kill 'em all, let god sort 'em out"
"Mess with the best, Die like the rest"
"Power can not be given, it must be taken"
"Hell will take over"

(SmokeCheeba)
04-21-2004, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Predator_SYIH:
2. Xbox has sold more because its been out longer than the xbox has been alright.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif - I dont get it.

Oh yea, and the PC games are full of hackers, another reason I play more on the xbox then my PC.

CanadianKnight
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Oh good. Another PC vs. console discussion. Because THAT isn't old or anything. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I used to be a dedicated PC gamer. Then I bought an XBOX. While the XBOX may be a 733 processor, that isn't the issue. The issue is that there is a single configuration of components, so those components can be used at 100% of their capacity. The XBOX (or PS2 or GC) are dedicated gaming machines...what they do, they do well.

PC's, on the other hand, can have infinite conifigurations due to their inherant upgradability. As such, software has to be written to take advantage of any or all possibly configurations. As such, PC components may not be used to their full capabilities. Sure PC's can do more, but I view them more as a jack-of-all-trades type situation.

SCPT works well on both systems. It looks great on both systems. I wouldn't say that either looks superior over the other though.

HOWEVER, given the choice between sitting in my home office, at my desk in front of my monitor, or sitting on my comfy couch with a huge TV screen and surround sound... I'll take the XBOX. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. So can we all quit comparing thee size of our units now? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SC-Titan
04-21-2004, 04:40 PM
jeez what a funny thread!!

if u don't own a PC then get out from under your rock and get one, its 2004 for gods sake!

if u want to tgame on a PCc and have the money to do so, then great more power to you.

if u like the xbox for the ease of use then great more pwer to you.

i personally loved gaming on my pc but due to lack of money and time to keep in top top shape(which is needed to play the latest and greatest games), i finally went the xbox route, and i love it, its so easy!!

oh and i am cool with the amount of levels at the moment, but thats only cause i haven't played a ton yet. if i had i might want some new ones.

http://ssxtitan.250free.com/bigbugeyes.jpg

KANDLER
04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PKstigmata:
take a look around your local game store....id say theres WAY more crap PC games out there than XB or PS2...actually...no, there are alot of gay PS games out there....and gamecube games are basically for kids only.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, you know, because Resident Evil is definitely the type of game you can leave your five year old with while you go and buy the groceries. And let's not forget, kiddie games are all crap because they're targeted at a different demographic!!! Play Super Monkey Ball, or Super Smash Bros. Melee, or Super Mario Sunshine, and tell me those aren't fun http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

if being cheap saves me hundreds of dollars, fine...sh*t im cheap, but oddly receive more online game options w/ my XB than all u SCPT PC users.....weird.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>More online game options with SCPT. What else do you get that we don't with SCPT? No new weapons, or levels... Oh, you get the completely standard headset. I'll admit, that's a high point.

what more does a PC need to be able to do? what magical things can ur PC do that and XB cannot? or should need to able to do for that matter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This one's a toughie. Let's see.... How does EVERYTHING sound? Word processing, Internet browsing, Email, MSN, movie editing, Photoshop, mod developing, level editing, coding, voice chat programs... There's no good reason why people should not "need" to be able to do any one of those things on a computer.

Granted, the Xbox does kick a lot of ***. Hell, I'm gonna buy one and a 12-month XBL subscription just for Halo 2. But the PC is where all the hardware and software updates end up first. That's one advantage we've got over consoles, right on top of a list of about a hundred others :P

----------

Gametag: stigmata
Pandora Tomorrow Multiplayer: Only on PC!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

concerning gamecube games...im sure the older people who liked CG wanted some decent bloody games. they cant just corner the kiddie market

what does XB have that PC doesnt....um for the moment,a ranking system. and im not too sure, but i believe XBL subscribers were the first to get ahold of the newer levels for the first SC (vselk inf, sub and Kola cell). and am i wronge when i mention that it took a much longer time for PCers to recieve any kind of patch?

i agree the headset sucks as*. ive already gone through 3 because theyre made of the cheast sh*t ever.

what do word processing, movie editing and e-mail have to do w/ gaming?.....we all know its a computer. as far as MSN messenger, photoshop, web browsing and level editing are concerned....XBL should provide those very, very soon. as we speak, XB is performing mainteance on the system.

its widely speculated that this system update is the fabled "tsunami", or XBL version 3.0. this tsunami is a massive content update which will allow many new online gameplay options, including clan creation and custimazation, MSN messenger (though i believe this happens a little later), recorded voice game invites, and many others.
also, logos made in photoshop are believed to intergrated somehow, so clans can have many ways to customize their team.

XB already has a voice chat program...its called the XB live dashboard.

im not argueing that PCs are bad for gaming, because theyre far from it. i just dont believe in having to pay for new graphics cards, or having to download neccesary punkbuster and patch programs to be able to hear and play w/ people.

oh, and a level updater has been spoken of as part of this new tsunami content. but MS has also said that even though XBL 3.0 maybe released soon...not all the content will be available tomorrow as of 6 am when XBL comes back up.

[This message was edited by KANDLER on Wed April 21 2004 at 03:54 PM.]

DaRizat
04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I hate PC gaming because I have a P4 2.0 Ghz, with a GeForce4 and 256 of ram, and thats not enough to run this game. I have to go out and buy a BETTER GeForce card that costs almosts as much as an entire CONSOLE just to play one game. Then 3 months later the same thing happens. Youve got to upgrade like every year, whereas with a console you get 4 or 5 good years out of it.

Kyrandos
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colevant:
id like a whole newly coded game that wasnt a direct xbox port. I own a pc, and i dont wanna buy xbox crap, orelse i would have bought a damn xbox.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Splinter Cell (original) was made for the PC, then released on subsequent systems after a port was done.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is a MODIFIED Splinter Cell (original) engine, which, as you remember, was a PC game originally.

Now, how is SC:PT an xbox port again? Lol.

http://internettrash.com/users/kyrandos/Kyrsig.jpg

col2004
04-22-2004, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Wed April 21 2004 12:00 PM
big whoop. its a sad fact that the XB puts nearly all other console systems to shame. why compare it against a PC?

its almost like they arent even in the same category. PCs are upgradable...you can invest alot of money in one. an XB comes ready to deal w/ just about any game thats made for it. it plays DVDs w/out buying any kind of sftware, stores as many MP3s as most comps, and allows for LAN connection gameplay.

personally, im very happy w/ my XB and the stellar graphics and gameplay it provides me w/. im also very glad i havent shelled out hundreds of dollars in upgrades like an idiot. I pay the 1 time fee for XB live and suddenly i get great online gameplay w/ guarenteed content downloads, ranking systems, friends lists, and first crack at patches and new options.......man...doesnt XB suck.

all you PC users are just damn lucky that Bungie heard all of you b*tching and decided give you Halo. (hopefully MS and XB game devs will return to making XB only game titles.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

may i add that u sir, are a nobhead....

an xbox literally is a cut down PC meant for gaming, the games are all created on the Direct X platform which pc uses (hence name Xbox). what u see as "stellar graphics", are nothing compared to what a high end pc can do. the xbox versions are slightly cut down in the graphics area, cause it can only do so much, so really the pc version has a lot more in it as far as visual effects go, and you have a version that can only do what an XBOX IS CAPABLE OF (dont get me wrong the graphics are good). besides "you are upgrading like a like fool", but instead you do it every 4 years or so when the consoles catch up to the next big Hardware upgrade. first PC's upgrade, then consoles follow...then they are stuck like that for their lifespan whereas pc's hardware gradually upgrade every few months as newer meatier hardware is realeased, untill the standard is well beyond the capabilities of the consoles...then the consoles have to upgrade to match the new requirements needed to run the next-gen games. u seen the unreal 3.0 engine yet?? it leaves the likes of doom 3 in the dust, cause it uses the new G force NV4 architecture...what does that mean 2 u? it means they have to release a new XBOX cause the xbox would be brought to its knee's when it has to run games that will run at this standard, this is a huge upgrade and beyond current hardware. basically the xbox 2 will a faster up to date processor and one of these next gen Nvidia or ATI chipsets. which after 6 months wont be top of the line anymore, then will be fazed out to middle of the road after a year, then beyond that will become low end.. 2BH XBOX GAMERS ARE PC GAMERS, wid a machine that only runs games.

http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/col2004/col2004.gif

PC Gamertag:

S-AS_Sc0p3 / S1l3nt_Sc0p3

keeblerelfe
04-22-2004, 05:22 PM
In response to people who claim that PC gaming is extremely expensive...

A few years ago, we bought a pretty standard PC. The price on it doesn't count, unless you include the cost of a TV with the price of your Xbox. Guess how much it cost me to upgrade it to a system that can play SCPT and Call of Duty on high detail levels and 1024 x 768 with only very occasional framerate drag? Hmmm, about $190 U.S. (about 230 Euro at this date). That sounds awful close to the price of an Xbox, not to mention the games being cheaper and not having to pay for Xbox Live.

I am not hating on the Xbox, nor on consoles in general. That standardization has its high points; it's rare that I play with someone who has a mic in any game but SCPT, and there are a lot of laggy and/or cheat-filled servers out there that are not as common in online console gaming. My PS2 also has lots of exclusive titles that I enjoy immensely that would be difficult to play with a mouse-keyboard setup. I just like playing on a platform that lets me speak on message boards about games, follow a link to a site with new mods and maps, download a new map, instant message a friend, get him to download it too, play online with him, enter a chat room with some more friends, tell them, send them a few screenshots of the map, and set up a date and time for a LAN party than can be uploaded to a PDA. No, I don't do all of that, but it's nice to know that I can.

keeblerelfe
04-22-2004, 05:25 PM
"I have to go out and buy a BETTER GeForce card that costs almosts as much as an entire CONSOLE just to play one game."

Thats you own fault for buying a Geforce 4 MX http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
My GF4TI42 128 along with 512 SDRAM (yes, the old crappy obsolete kind) lets me run the game on high with 1024 x 768 resolution.

Styphon57
04-22-2004, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Lurker:
I don't mean to bursts anyones bubble, but it just seems to me that consoles are becoming more like PCs. With all this talk of hard drives and videocards in the new consoles, it's pretty easy to believe.

PS2's catch line is "Computer Entertainment System". It even has Computer right in the title.

Granted, consoles are gamer-tailored, so maybe that's where things need to go. To the consoles only I mean. If there was a gaming device that could pull of the flexibility of a PC (Mods, patches, tweaking and so on) BUT had the developer alure of a console (lets face it, the majority of "big name" companies work almost exclusively for consoles) than I'd be sold.

But as it stand, the Xbox is still in its infancy and doesn't yet have the flexibility I'm looking for.

In an ideal world the word "multi-platform release" would be obsolete. And there would be only one console we would need to buy to satisfy our needs.

But, instead we're stuck with virtually 4 different platforms that is almost impossible to get the gaming satisfaction from a single one. You're always stuck saying "But that game looks SOOOOO good!" only to fine out it's for Y console.

I just want to play really cool games, screw what platform it's on...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree. I play PC games because they tend to have better graphics and be a bit more in depth. I play RPG's and most of the good ones are computer based. That's why I support pc games.

I really DO hope that consoles become just like little mini gaming pc's. Then there could be a standardised format, that would only need a few slight alterations, to be compatible for sony's console of the day, microsuck's console of the day, and a PC. The quality and selection would increase for all gamers....

And since I'm dreaming, I'd like to win the super lotto.