PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Ubi and Cyan

AcidArrow
02-01-2004, 04:23 PM
First of all I'd like to say that I'm not representing anyone here, and that is just some of my own thoughts. But I have a feeling a lot of people will agree.

So. We have Uru (I'm talking about the single player portion), a game I think a lot of us love (or at least like), that even though it was very well done, had the feeling of an "introduction" to it. And with an "introduction" that good, someone would certainly have high hopes for the main part.

The main part (which is UruLive), and I'm talking about the state it is right now, IS wonderful, but a lot of frustrating too. It shows a lot of potential to become an experience we will all love but... It has it's good share of problems. While this IS beta, a lot of people are starting to lose their faith. Some of the major problems that plagued the beginning of the prologue are still here and actually, are much worse than they were originally.

Now, I believe that when Live launches officially, we will have a solid experience, and when I say solid I don't mean lots of new content, I believe those will come in time too, but I mean a problem-free game. I say these because I still have faith in the developers and I still haven't lost my patience. Other people are less patient (and I don't say this as a bad thing), but since they are still here, well they still hope this could be a wonderful experience. What we need from the developers/producers, is little more info of what is going on. If we're left without new info, we might start thinking that something's wrong and start discussing wacky theories (and you know we're sooo good at that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

So, to end this. I believe that you are listening to us, you know what our current issues with the game are. All we need from you right now is a confirmation of that and maybe a tiny bits of info on what's ahead.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

AcidArrow
02-01-2004, 04:23 PM
First of all I'd like to say that I'm not representing anyone here, and that is just some of my own thoughts. But I have a feeling a lot of people will agree.

So. We have Uru (I'm talking about the single player portion), a game I think a lot of us love (or at least like), that even though it was very well done, had the feeling of an "introduction" to it. And with an "introduction" that good, someone would certainly have high hopes for the main part.

The main part (which is UruLive), and I'm talking about the state it is right now, IS wonderful, but a lot of frustrating too. It shows a lot of potential to become an experience we will all love but... It has it's good share of problems. While this IS beta, a lot of people are starting to lose their faith. Some of the major problems that plagued the beginning of the prologue are still here and actually, are much worse than they were originally.

Now, I believe that when Live launches officially, we will have a solid experience, and when I say solid I don't mean lots of new content, I believe those will come in time too, but I mean a problem-free game. I say these because I still have faith in the developers and I still haven't lost my patience. Other people are less patient (and I don't say this as a bad thing), but since they are still here, well they still hope this could be a wonderful experience. What we need from the developers/producers, is little more info of what is going on. If we're left without new info, we might start thinking that something's wrong and start discussing wacky theories (and you know we're sooo good at that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

So, to end this. I believe that you are listening to us, you know what our current issues with the game are. All we need from you right now is a confirmation of that and maybe a tiny bits of info on what's ahead.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

don_carlos
02-02-2004, 09:17 AM
the way uru-live has been launched is more or less a catastrophy. it's still almost impossible to play the game.
trying to run around in the city to find markers (and now to find them in time) has for me nothing to do with "the spirit of MYST". sorry cyan, i am disappointed!
:-(

digitalshaman
02-02-2004, 09:59 AM
The fact that Ubi and Cyan are keeping quite about this, the weekend downtime, and general lack of knowledge is a serious problem. I have only just recently finished Prime, so I am probably better off then the people who finished it in days/weeks and have had no recent pleasure from uru, and in time i'm sure i will be one of them. Two major things seems to be in extreme need of attending to:

1. Knowledge/Support and Relations
I have had an annoying poproblem with the way my uru graphics are drawn, thus I have needed support and knowledge to help fix this. Where the hell is that? If ind the whole of the Ubi website inconsistant and slow, the forums over complicated and there support program un responisve and pointless; leaving me completely alone only with the help of the public. As well as this I have never been able to play Live, much like the majority (I think) The 3 Servers never seem to be running at the same time, pings are rubbish and all i get to is a black screen after my relto. This is where relations come in to the picture, there is a very weak relationship between Cyan/Ubi (dare I pair them) and the public, and that only being the sometimes unprofessional and unrepresentative Mods. And whilst they can be very helpful they give no security and even they seem unaware. This is a game it should make us enjoy ourselves not be left feeling frustrated or anxious, or even worried about Cyan/Uru! I want to know what is going and the status of everything all the time, thats not right, for starters everything should work anyway. And what is this business of 'accidently' inviting everyone, everyone seems to of accepted that but how on earth is that possible? Yes this is the Prologue Beta or whatever, but it shouldnt be, they shuold of delayed the game so they could finish it for godsake.

2. Priorities
Many people have been saying this and I think it is totally true. Why are they even bothering to add more and more things like animations, sounds, age parts, etc etc etc when there are so many BUGS all over uru. Prime holds a huge Teledahn bug, missing textures in Edir Gira (is that the garden one?), Live holds MASSIVE server problems and i'm sure bugs within the game, and the whole of uru suffers from severe resource wastage and with my gfx card (rad9800pro) and other people with this card's graphics to be screwed up.

Basically:

STOP ADDING NEW CONTENT AND FIX THE CURRENT CONTENT, TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WHEN AND WHAT JUST HAPPENED, GIVE US REAL SUPPORT, WE DONT WANT TO BE ALONE

ps. all i want is for someone from cyan or uru to read this thread but i'm sure they wont, do they visit these forums? Maybe some mods can forward it on to them?

Naquiel
02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, i have said this befor, and now im going to say it again. I hope they fix the current problem in the city soon befor they loose alot more ppl.

I know the devs did say that there will be other things for ppl to do in the game so they would not mind much that the city will be full from time to time, but this is an answer that many will not except when the game goes live and when they start paying subscription fees.

I even listed solutions on helping the community by ether making the city a personal linking book so we would have the choice of adventuring in the city alone or with friends, but i dont think the devs will hear from the general public. There are many things that we the community have given as alternatives to the problems, but we mostly go unheard.

I am getting tired, and if the devs get smart and listen to some of the community(especialy the others that have played many other online games), the devs might get a better picture of the needs of the players. I am cool and i am usally the last person to give up on things, but here im comeing close on leaving. I always give bug reports, but im getting tired of reporting the same bug over and over but in the hundred of places it happens.

So another thing i would like to see the devs do is to just go in the game and get a few of the players and just go hunt down the bugs. See what might be the problem. Just recently in SWG, the devs did a special visit just to eliminate CTD problems and i know it would help here. So to help hunt bugs better, the devs should be a little more active with the players to help fix the current game breaking bugs.

But then again i really dont think the devs would care to listen to us when it comes to us wanting to give suggestions.

Kuhlade
02-02-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't normally double post but I feel this really belongs here as well as my previous post.
I was invited to beta test early last year, sent in my essay and was invited with open arms. Problem was, my machine didn't even come close to meeting the requirements. Sooo, spent the summer and fall in a deep depression, feeling left out and abandoned. Santa heard my prayers and provided me with a great new machine so I was on my way. Felt like a come-lately when I first logged on but quickly became imersed in the game. Finished Prime and have been working Live since Christmas. It has been frustrating and stressful, to say the least, but I do agree with the others. If they would only communicate with us, make us feel we are a part of this, not white rats running their mazes for them. Most of us here are true fans, with a history of devotion to the games. With a few crumbs of encouragement, delivered on a regular basis, we will stay. We will stay and work with enthusiasm to get this project up and running. We have glimpsed the glory of what this can be, I believe with all my heart that there is hope.

digitalshaman
02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
well said..

I found out about uru 3 years ago and have been saving a for a PC. I finally get one only to play the singly player portion which wasnt even proposed a few years back. And where is everyone from the old forums. I joined here in june 2002 most people are 2003/4. Weird

Uru prime is great, I had a lot of fun, i hope there isnt a huge gap between me playing prime and live.

AcidArrow
02-02-2004, 11:04 AM
don carlos, UruLive hasn't launched yet.

Ze Pedro
02-02-2004, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digitalshaman:
ps. all i want is for someone from cyan or uru to read this thread but i'm sure they wont, do they visit these forums?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They will. They do. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

don_carlos
02-02-2004, 12:23 PM
acidarrow, of course uru live was launched...
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

...and i'm sure everybody knows that it is the prolog/beta version

i personally believe, they should have waited a while instead of frustrating thousands of fans...

hogarth...
02-02-2004, 01:03 PM
That is the eternal question when it comes to software release - do you hold off until you've squashed as many bugs as you can find, or do you release the current build and collect some revenue while you finish up with the bug fixes?

Either way, you face challenges and peril.

In this case, I'm glad Cyan is still in business, and I sympathize with all the flak they're catching. (It's not undeserved, but I sympathize!) I hope things turn around soon.

In Atrus as hogarth
KI # 04660700

reidsb
02-02-2004, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

STOP ADDING NEW CONTENT AND FIX THE CURRENT CONTENT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly.

Khatie_
02-02-2004, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ps. all i want is for someone from cyan or uru to read this thread but i'm sure they wont, do they visit these forums? Maybe some mods can forward it on to them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do read them, really, we do. We'll report when there is something to report... honestly.

I promise. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm Kha'tie! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Syphro
02-02-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm just glad people are calming down.

This forum is not like SWG and is not just yelling at Cyan anymore but the patient people have begun to speak up in a civil manner.

As a MYST fan I don't think I'm ever going to abandon URU. But play it regularly? When I joined the prologue this Christmas I was on almost everyday. But recently I've been finding myself using other games that are more reliable.
I understand there are bugs but I also agree that Cyan and/or Ubi is more concerned about building the community and RPG aspect then they are about fixing the thing first.
Before you build up you need a good foundation.
Without fixing these original bugs there has been a snowball effect that is becoming more serious by the day.

But in the end it's not about the bugs, it's not about the fact that the servers are down.

We WANT TO HELP. We joined the beta to help form a game in one of our favourite universes.

We love Myst and the chance to help form the sequel to the franchise is an honour to us.

But, from what I've been reading I'm not alone, we feel rejected and ignored.
Even if we are not, and I doubt we are, we need the feedback to know we are making a difference and not just pounding our heads into the wall.

The first and really only thing to work on is proper support and open communication.

I want to know, and I want to help.

If the server is down, it's down. If there is lag there is lag.

But that doesn't mean you can't tell us the server is down and that you understand there is lag.
Even if it's something we already know we'd like to know from you. Not from the grapevine.

Anyways, I guess I wanted to thank my peers for staying civil.
It's nice to know we're not all jerks like the players in GunBound.

AcidArrow
02-02-2004, 04:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guinevere4719:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ps. all i want is for someone from cyan or uru to read this thread but i'm sure they wont, do they visit these forums? Maybe some mods can forward it on to them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do read them, really, we do. We'll report when there is something to report... honestly.

I promise. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm Kha'tie! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well some of us either know or strongly believe that. For the rest of the people though you have to be a little more active on bringing info to us... I'm not trying to tell you or anybody else how to do their jobs or anything (I know it sounds like that, but that's not how I mean it)...

Cheers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Syphro
02-02-2004, 05:51 PM
even if the report is that they are acknowledging what we are saying would be appreciative.
Even if they say that the server is down.
Rather than getting it up a week later and saying it's been down for the past week I'd like to know that it's down now so I don't waste my time.

maztec
02-02-2004, 09:32 PM
I would like to request that people go look back a month when we were having problems with the content that existed and lag already. Take the time to notice how many people were screaming and crying for new content at that time, that they would be happy with it despite all the lag and other problems.

Then now...

Then please also take the time to consider that the people who create new ages and content are not the same people who build the games engine. The bugs in the game are generally related to the game engine and servers, not to the content itself. So new content coming out is going to happen, otherwise thos people are just sitting and twiddling their thumbs while waiting fro the others to fully debug things..

So, get new content when it's available, or twiddle our thumbs with nothing to do?

Can't satisfy everyone http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maz

---
Have you had your D'LA today? (http://www.dniactivities.org/)
Katran KI#: 2831843
Atrus KI#: 4941719

Naquiel
02-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Well i didnt say that i didnt want new content, i was mostly complaining that the devs should keep the content rolling in but be in more contact with us to help defeat the bugs we see. Also if we do get new content, please dont put it in the city or any other area that we are limited.

You see it is good to think of all the pros and cons to what is put out for us to play with. If the cons are bigger than the pros, then the what is needed is a little time to work on the thing we need to make the pros bigger. As in dont give us stuff in the city to do when we really cant get in the city.

Its simple to see that when you have hundreds to thousands of ppl that want to play but cant because that place to play is limited to just a handfull at a time, you will have very angry ppl that really dont want to play because they feel left out. So in the future, think about what your going to give the community before giving it to us. If it will hurt, then try something else to help please us.

And i will say that the city sould ether be like a hood with many versions of itself that ppl can go to, or a linking book that we can have the choice of adventuring alone or with some friends when we want to.

don_carlos
02-03-2004, 03:17 AM
@ maztec
do you actually know, that it is impossible to play on atrus? if you do, then why don't you or cyan communicate instead of finding excuses. we don't need excuses, we need information! just tell me what's going on.
e.g. atrus not possible, will be fully up again at xxxx

ok?

digitalshaman
02-03-2004, 09:27 AM
The fact is maztec, the majority of people who cant play uru are missing out, i dont want places to keep getting bigger, with more and more things, eg the Great Zero. The reason I dont want them being added yet is because i'm, and many others are missing out!

And if this is not the case, and in fact this stuff should be there when the real uru live starts then thats fine, but oh look, No one has told us!

Also it strikes me that this D'LA is a distraction from the fact that there isnt much to do in Uru live... i know its weird but i really hope this is true and that when Live starts properley there will be vast amounts to do like puzzles/interacting etc etc. Again i may be totally wrong because I havent actually played Live, just listened to peoples thoughts.

I hope someones got some good insights into what i've raised.

sowkrdan
02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
The flip side to all of us working together to solve new puzzles and explore new areas. To boldy go where no one has gone before, well, except for the D'ni, Bahro and DRC.

The problem will again be that we will all talk about the puzzles and solve them all ridiculously soon and then be sitting around twiddling our thumbs.

I may only be speaking for a minority of us who have a serious delayed gratification issue and suck the forums dry of all the nudges, hints and spoilers we can find. I would probably be still playing Prime and trying to figure out the whole path of light/shadow in Kadish.

I don't think the developers will ever provide enough new areas (completely new or add-ons to the existing ones) to satisfy us continually. I do appreciate the different Guilds and Associations that are making this experience as much of a community as possible, since there will continue to be repeated episodes of hurry up and wait.

Overall, I think this is a quality product, but the quantity is still lacking.

One more thing...stop sending me the latest news about Uru if there isn't actually anything new to report. Glad the sound and music guys are proud of their work, but doesn't do much for me when I need to mute to reduce lag. When I turn it back on, I am impressed, but I don't play the game to stand around for hours soaking up the ambience of the soundtrack and mood music.

http://img9.photobucket.com/albums/v25/sowkrdan/sneeze.jpg
Teledahn Allergy Sufferer
KI: 00062605 (Katran)
'landogardner (in cavern)