PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking



the_fubz
06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
ok i was thinking of overclocking, my uncle says its not good for your system (it wears it out), and he knows a **** lad about comps so i believe him, but i want to get my 2.8ghz comp to 3ghz is that possible without doing harm?
i have ASUS P4R800-VM

350watt
usually stays below 80'F (24'C)
also looking into getting x800-xt when i get the money. Also hooked up to the power spply is one HD and one CD-RW/ROM
and i have 3 fans, power supply, cpu, and side fan, (if i can find it i will put in the intake fan)

i think that will be the info needed thanks

---
Sex on the T.V. can't hurt... unless you fall off

the_fubz
06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
ok i was thinking of overclocking, my uncle says its not good for your system (it wears it out), and he knows a **** lad about comps so i believe him, but i want to get my 2.8ghz comp to 3ghz is that possible without doing harm?
i have ASUS P4R800-VM

350watt
usually stays below 80'F (24'C)
also looking into getting x800-xt when i get the money. Also hooked up to the power spply is one HD and one CD-RW/ROM
and i have 3 fans, power supply, cpu, and side fan, (if i can find it i will put in the intake fan)

i think that will be the info needed thanks

---
Sex on the T.V. can't hurt... unless you fall off

MattUSMC67
06-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I dont think 200mhz is worth the risk. If u do decide to OC get a better heatsink and fan than the stock intel like the Thermaltake Spark 7 or the Thermalright SP-94 heatsink and a Thermaltake smartfan. Youll also need some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

The passage is intense, but if u complete the journey you will find your destiney among the worlds greatest warriors... The Few, The Proud, The Marines
http://home.comcast.net/~mattusmc67/wsb/media/109146/site1058.jpg

spike_the_punch
06-02-2004, 09:36 PM
i disagree...i have p4 2.4 (northwood) and i OC'd it to 3 gigs with no problem...all temps were in 35-45*C range (except when i ran prime95, but the system was still stable) all with stock cooling. maybe the 2.8 would run hotter with a smaller increase, but i'm just saying i upped by 600MHz and suffered no ill effects.

of course, the mobo could have something to do with it as well...i don't know that much about overclocking....i have a gigabyte GA-8S661FXM. good luck with whatever you do!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Bless America!

"Those who have long enjoyed such priveleges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." --Franklin D. Roosevelt

DreamWraith
06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
heres the rule i use: if you cant afford to replace it, dont oc it.

==================================================
http://www.renevo.com/members/carl/siggy.jpg (http://www.dead6.net)
Community Manager | 2D Artist for Renegade X: The Dead 6 (http://www.dead6.net)
Web Developer for RenEvo Software and Designs (http://www.renevo.com)

MattUSMC67
06-03-2004, 02:27 AM
The 2.8 is a good OCer I used to have one and I had it OC'd to 3.2 but I would never OC on the stock intel heatsink and fan buy a copper heatsink and a fan that runs atleast 4,000 rpm. Also I think that 200mhz OC is really no big deal if u want to get some more performance out of your CPU disable these Win XP Services.

Alerter - Disable
Automatic Updates - Disable
Background Intelligent - Disable
Clip Book - Disable
Computer Browser - If not on LAN Disable
Error Reporting Service - Disable
Fast User Switching - Disable
Help and Support - Disable
Indexing Service - Disable
IPSEC Service - Disable
Messenger - Disable
Net Login - Disable
Net Meeting Remote - Disable
Network DDE - Disable
Network DDE DSDM - Disable
Performance logs and Alerts - Disable
Portable Media Serial Number - Disable
Print Spooler - If no printer Disable
QoS RSVP - Disable
Remote Desktop Help Session Manger - Disable
Secondary Log On - Disable
Server - If Not on LAN Disable
Smart Card - Disable
Smart Card Helper - Disable
SSDP Discovery Service - Disable
Uniteruptable Power Supply - Disable
Universal Plug and Play Host - Disable
Upload Manger - Disable
Web Client - Disable
Windows Time - Disable
Wireless Zero Configuration - Disable
WMI Peroformance Adapter - Disable
WMDM PMSP - Disable
QoS RSVP - Disable

After I disabled these my 2.8@3.2 scored a 10,180 on SIS Sandra benchmark where previously it scored a 9,800

The passage is intense, but if u complete the journey you will find your destiney among the worlds greatest warriors... The Few, The Proud, The Marines
http://home.comcast.net/~mattusmc67/wsb/media/109146/site1058.jpg

poppachocks1
06-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Well, sure it can be done, but why do you want to? Better performance? Slightly higher benchmark scores?

mrmetal_53
06-03-2004, 09:30 AM
i dont know too much about overclocking, but i would say not to do it, especially if you dont know what you are doing. like poppa said, what is a 200mhz increase going to do for you?

-----------------------------
its true that one can change the world
a savior to mankind
but what if while you were busy
someone was left behind?

poppachocks1
06-03-2004, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrmetal_53:
i dont know too much about overclocking, but i would say not to do it, especially if you dont know what you are doing. like poppa said, what is a 200mhz increase going to do for you?

-----------------------------
its true that one can change the world
a savior to mankind
but what if while you were busy
someone was left behind?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very wise mrmetal. I feel overclocking is as much a bragging rights issue as anything. In any event, it's nothing for the novice to fool with. Even changing cooling solutions involves an element of risk, if you're not careful.

the_fubz: the modest overclock you are looking for could probably be done without that much risk, but what will it do for you? It's a pretty good bet that you would see NO difference in Far Cry. Your uncle has a very good point. I know that there are O/C nuts out there that will disagree, but the questionable benefits are overshadowed by the risks.

the_fubz
06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DreamWraith:
heres the rule i use: if you cant afford to replace it, dont oc it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think i will end up living with that but... the reason i wanted to do it is jsut that 3ghz sounds so much faster than 2.8 (and easier to say), so there is no real reason, and i didn't think it would heat it up that much, but since (to my knowldge) most of you people on these boards are mature and know what you are talking about i will leave it were it is, now one more question

i have asus probe (thats how i know my temps http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) and it says my ram its supported speed is 50ns 60ns 70ns, what exactly does it mean, and why would it say i have 4 open memory slots... i swear its only 2... but i could check

also is 350watts good for my power supply?

---
Sex on the T.V. can't hurt... unless you fall off

the_fubz
06-03-2004, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattUSMC67:
disable these Win XP Services.

Alerter - Disable
Automatic Updates - Disable
Background Intelligent - Disable
Clip Book - Disable
Computer Browser - If not on LAN Disable
Error Reporting Service - Disable
Fast User Switching - Disable
Help and Support - Disable
Indexing Service - Disable
IPSEC Service - Disable
Messenger - Disable
Net Login - Disable
Net Meeting Remote - Disable
Network DDE - Disable
Network DDE DSDM - Disable
Performance logs and Alerts - Disable
Portable Media Serial Number - Disable
Print Spooler - If no printer Disable
QoS RSVP - Disable
Remote Desktop Help Session Manger - Disable
Secondary Log On - Disable
Server - If Not on LAN Disable
Smart Card - Disable
Smart Card Helper - Disable
SSDP Discovery Service - Disable
Uniteruptable Power Supply - Disable
Universal Plug and Play Host - Disable
Upload Manger - Disable
Web Client - Disable
Windows Time - Disable
Wireless Zero Configuration - Disable
WMI Peroformance Adapter - Disable
WMDM PMSP - Disable
QoS RSVP - Disable
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And were do i turn these off, i have alot of services off, and some of those jsut don't remember were i did it from. I did the Tweaktown winxp twaeaking guide http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
boots up in 20secs

---
Sex on the T.V. can't hurt... unless you fall off

MattUSMC67
06-03-2004, 06:58 PM
In the control panel go to Administraitive tools then clcik on Services.

The passage is intense, but if u complete the journey you will find your destiney among the worlds greatest warriors... The Few, The Proud, The Marines
http://home.comcast.net/~mattusmc67/wsb/media/109146/site1058.jpg