PDA

View Full Version : Bass is mixed too low

muzac989
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Any of the you other experienced bass players feel like the bass is mixed way too low? I'm playing with my bass volume at 100, and my music volume at 30, and I still feel sometimes as if I'm compromising my tone by having to dig in deep just to hear myself properly. I admit that I play bass with a feather touch but the biggest advantage of using your fingers over a pick is that you get superior dynamic control, and yet the current default mixing encourages people to always play as loud as they can when playing with their fingers. This is not a good habit; you don't want to always be playing up against the ceiling 'cause it leaves you with nowhere else to go. Makes me really wish they added access to the mixer in the pause menu.

Other then that the bass dlc is pretty sweet; "What's Going On" is easily my favorite song to play so far, and I can't wait for a funk song pack to come out.

Braintrust18
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
What are you outputing the sound with? TV speakers? I haven't tried bass DLC yet. I wonder if I will need a subwoofer turned up to hear the bass well. In Rockband 3 I could not hear the bass very well through my TV's speakers.

mesabassman
08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I am having no problems with volume. Actually my bass seems a little loud in the mix. I am using 2 B&W monitors with a B&W Subwoofer. My Yamaha TRB-5 has active pickups maybe that is the difference?

rcole_sooner
08-15-2012, 03:21 PM
LOL! I thought only we guitar players thought our mix was too low. LOL!

I have not tried the bass yet, so I really don't know about the mix. I just got a kick out of the title.

:D

Funk-n-Stein
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
I've found that it's like the guitar mix in this game.....inconsistent from one song to the next. Some songs it's OK, others, it's too low. I only played a handful of songs though before I started to get blisters on my fingers :P

HighTechAddict
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, I also found the bass to be very low when running through my surround system. Not even within the songs, but even in amp mode or just noodling around with it in menus and leading into songs. Same levels and volume as I normally play with the guitar that sound great, I found I could hear the actual bass strings a lot louder than anything coming out of my speakers. When I plugged in my headphones it really brought the bass up and I could hear my playing a lot more clearly. I'll be fiddling around with my levels and maybe crank up the sub a bit to see what I can to to help it out, but I don't want to mess with it too much because the system has been calibrated and levels set to movie and game sources prevoiusly. I'm concerned that if I set the sound levels for Rocksmith Bass, it's going to be overpowering the rest of the time.

No verdict yet for sure, but it did seem low to me as well at least out of the gate.

Funk-n-Stein
08-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Just curious, are those of you experiencing lower than normal bass levels using a bass that is passive? It definitely helps when I turn up the active EQ on my SDGR

Ryder35
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
my pbass is quiet through my amp but sounds finr in game. Using an AV amp and decent speakers.

HighTechAddict
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
My bass has passive pickups, sounds great thru my amp, and during the initial soundcheck the game told me that my levels were very high coming from the instrument and I should turn it down to avoid distortion. Based on that, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of adjusting levels on my surround setup. I'm just hoping that tweaking all that to make the bass sound good in game doens't screw up my levels for guitar, other games, and movies I watch on the same setup. Worst case, I can always just go to headphones when playing bass, but that's less than ideal.

One other point is that I'm pretty sure that mine should work with the game just fine, as it is an Epiphone Thunderbird that is almost exactly like the one pictured in all the bass menus in the game so far :cool:

Pancho X1
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Just curious, are those of you experiencing lower than normal bass levels using a bass that is passive? It definitely helps when I turn up the active EQ on my SDGR

yes, my basses do not have active pickups. I find the sound levels to be..... ok. I would like a bit more. but it's not awful by any means. I'm sure I could turn up my subwoofer or sound system volume overall but I also don't want to piss anybody off as I live in a condo with two shared walls. :D

and to be honest, I haven't messed with the in game volume controls at all. Will do that tonight though.

Braintrust18
08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I think you can turn down the backing music in the game settings. Turning the backing music down and turning the volume up should have the effect of increasing the bass mix. Of course you would also get very load menu sounds. Not sure what all is in the settings menu.

muzac989
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
I should have prefaced my post with the fact that I'm playing through a pair of B&W series 801s, a Rotel power, and an Adcom pre. My problems with the mixing has little to do with my setup and a lot more to do with my playing style and the difference between the 'live-ness' of different instruments.

I've been playing with passive pickups; I have active/passive pickups on my bass (Carvin 4-string bolt-on) that allow me to switch between active and passive, but I don't keep a battery in my bass and instead use the active mode as a killswitch. You shouldn't need active pickups anyways, I never liked them that much in the first place.

Really, I just wanted to complain about not having access to the mix in the pause menu, which always seemed like an obvious and useful feature to me but is almost never mentioned when it comes to features that should be implemented. The difference between active and passive basses highlights why this a needed feature.

muzac989
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I think you can turn down the backing music in the game settings. Turning the backing music down and turning the volume up should have the effect of increasing the bass mix. Of course you would also get very load menu sounds. Not sure what all is in the settings menu.

I've already done this (backing music at 30, bass at 100), and yes, the menu effects are pretty loud, and extremely annoying. It's made me extra fast with the mute button.

ravenreaver
08-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Mine sound more or less song appropriate. Sometimes it seems a bit low, but I'd say the biggest problem I have is that my bass doesn't sound deep enough. Then again that is a speaker problem and nothing to do with the game.

Jkr0
04-18-2013, 02:54 PM
I just got a bass guitar and was expecting to jam to higher ground to find out you can hardly hear the bass. Its louder using a guitar in emulation bass mode than using a real bass. I'm going to fiddle around with the stereo and see if I cant get it tuned in right hope it works. The bass sounds like a mouse fart compared to the lion fart of the guitar!! lol

Hopfrogg
04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I just got a bass guitar and was expecting to jam to higher ground to find out you can hardly hear the bass. Its louder using a guitar in emulation bass mode than using a real bass. I'm going to fiddle around with the stereo and see if I cant get it tuned in right hope it works. The bass sounds like a mouse fart compared to the lion fart of the guitar!! lol

Was reading through this old thread and thinking this is one of the few issues with RS that I don't have. My bass sounds just fine and it is passive pickup and I only use fingers and play with a light touch.

I would suggest going into "soundcheck" as I believe the game adjusts volume based on the output of your instrument. Maybe set it to medium volume then go and do the soundcheck so it will give you the proper adjustment.

I can assure you that the game is able to make your bass sound just fine, but this game is so dang quirky you gotta fiddle here and fiddle there to get things to work properly.

LvlNinety9
04-18-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm using a 94 P Bass Special and it varies from song to song. It doesn't have the active pups in it anymore but is rocking the Seymour Duncan. For the most part it sounds fine but there are a couple of songs where it sounds way to low.

elemenohpenc
04-18-2013, 08:39 PM
my passive pickup bass also sounds fine to me. never had an issue with the volume/mix.

Vector_Shift
04-18-2013, 09:19 PM
My bass with passive pickups sounded fine until I put half-round strings on it. They definitely are more mellow. But I just turned down the song volume, and it's all good now.

Hopfrogg
04-19-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm using a 94 P Bass Special and it varies from song to song. It doesn't have the active pups in it anymore but is rocking the Seymour Duncan. For the most part it sounds fine but there are a couple of songs where it sounds way to low.

Which songs? I have played just about every bass song on the game and don't recall any issues so I'd like to try the songs that are giving you the problem to see if I can duplicate it.

On the flip side... guitar wise, there were a bunch of songs that gave me volume/tone problems (ie Freebird always came across too 'crumchy')... bass wise, that is one of the things I have loved about the bass with RS, I haven't had those problems... but for each show I get "the output from your bass is too high" and have to disable/re-enable the port... it's a pain, but it is a workaround.