PDA

View Full Version : HNGD to Me!

slabossiere
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I've been wanting to get something new for a few months now, specifically something in a Strat-style, and had decided to special order in a G&L Tribute with the blueburst finish over 6 weeks ago. Initially, I was told by the guy doing the order at the guitar store that it was in stock with their supplier (he had checked), so it would take 1-2 weeks to get in. I was already worried about ordering in a guitar I'd never played in-store, but decided to just go for it anyway.

Well, after 2 weeks and no axe, I started calling the store to find out a more exact ETA and maybe a tracking number. No luck. It took days to get a call back, and no one seemed to be able to tell me what was happening. In short, it took 5 weeks for them to discover that my guitar was backordered all the way back to the factory and there was no way of knowing when it would come in. I cancelled my order, and was a bit dejected for a few days. There isn't a lot of selection for Strats out here in Winnipeg, unless you like the standard tobacco burst finishes for the most part. So, I decided to wait and see what I could find in Calgary, as I was going out that way on a week-long holiday.

To make a long story short, I found exactly what I'd been drooling over before deciding on the G&L: a Mexican Fender Strat HSS in the Lake Placid blue finish and maple fretboard:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-l1JsqI0ldUg/UB7H-C8SHzI/AAAAAAAAAA8/VjL42P-gBPo/s640/2012-08-05%252014.19.30.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LWDrIMjQy4s/UB7HuxQH8OI/AAAAAAAAAAs/seqq1Kkuyv4/s640/2012-08-05%252014.15.25.jpg

These pictures aren't the best, but I'll see if I can get some better ones taken shortly. Either way, I'm glad I decided to wait and see what I could find in Calgary! This thing plays beautifully!

MrKev1n
08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Sweet!! Nice looking guitar. Do you know yet if there are any issues retuning to drop D for Rocksmith?

slabossiere
08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks! Not sure about the drop D yet, though, as we just got back not too long ago and my son jumped on the Xbox, but I should know after tonight. I'll play a couple of drop D tunes and report back.

LvlNinety9
08-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Nice axe man. I heard that if you don't get the American made Mexico is the best alternative to the Chinese made.

Spako29
08-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Congrats. Nice to see another 'Rocksmither' from The Peg. :)

slabossiere
08-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Sweet!! Nice looking guitar. Do you know yet if there are any issues retuning to drop D for Rocksmith?

Well, just ran some tests, and I had absolutely no problems with drop D. Went there and back again to standard a few times with no issues at all. In fact, now that I've got the strings broken in, the tuning stability seems very good, although no use of the whammy in Rocksmith so that would help a bit.

slabossiere
08-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Nice axe man. I heard that if you don't get the American made Mexico is the best alternative to the Chinese made.

For the price difference, a lot of guys will go for the Mexican made ones and just upgrade a few components such as the pups or the trem block. Not sure if I'll go there at some point, but for now this'll do. My brother in law has a very nice Korean made strat as well.

slabossiere
08-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Congrats. Nice to see another 'Rocksmither' from The Peg. :)

Cool! I was starting to feel like the only one around here, to the point where I was going to start a thread to see if there was anyone Rocksmithing in the general area. Interested in some multiplayer sometime? Feel free to PM me if you want.

PRS_Rocker
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Congrats. Nice guitar.

rcole_sooner
08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Very nice, and a cool story too.

HNGD!!!

MIM strats/teles are very solid guitars, right "out of the box". Plus, later down the road, with some mods and setups, they get even better. Good choice!

steeljake
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Very nice indeed! My first electric guitar was a Mexican strat in that same color.

Funk-n-Stein
08-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Happy NGD! I have a Mexican tele that i love. I did upgrade the pickups to Keystones.

slabossiere
08-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Having had more time to play with it and break it in a bit, I'm already realizing that I'm going to want to get some kind of lubricant and maybe upgrade the string tree. Every now and then I hear a bit of a high pitched "ping" noise when I bend or use the trem arm, and a bit of Googling suggests that this is almost always related to a bit of friction.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thinking of getting some Big Bends Nut Sauce or the Planet Waves LubriKit to tackle this.

WiiDaLoser
08-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone. Having had more time to play with it and break it in a bit, I'm already realizing that I'm going to want to get some kind of lubricant and maybe upgrade the string tree. Every now and then I hear a bit of a high pitched "ping" noise when I bend or use the trem arm, and a bit of Googling suggests that this is almost always related to a bit of friction.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thinking of getting some Big Bends Nut Sauce or the Planet Waves LubriKit to tackle this.
Sounds like it's binding at the nut. Started to have the same thing happen now that the weather heated up. Never had pings in the winter

I saw that nut sauce stuff but also found info about switching out the nut with a pre-cut tusq nut. Seems easy enough to do but need to research a bit more before I try it; like knowing if the pre-cut nuts need any extra filing.

Curious to see what others have to say

slabossiere
08-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Sounds like it's binding at the nut. Started to have the same thing happen now that the weather heated up. Never had pings in the winter

I saw that nut sauce stuff but also found info about switching out the nut with a pre-cut tusq nut. Seems easy enough to do but need to research a bit more before I try it; like knowing if the pre-cut nuts need any extra filing.

Curious to see what others have to say

Agreed. I've been doing some more reading (and careful listening) and it sounds like that's the case. I might try some lubricant for now, but I think I will look into a replacement nut and string guide down the road. I don't think the saddle is the problem here, so I won't mess with that.