PDA

View Full Version : Game purchased in the US, played in the UK. No option to update or buy songs in store

RobertC2012
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Hope someone can shed a bit of light on this for me. Purchased Rocksmith for PS3 in the States last year as I couldn't wait for the UK release date. Once back here I found that I couldn't connect to the store to buy additional songs or gain access to check for updates to the game. Figured it was because it hadn't been released here in the UK yet.

After almost a year I still can't access anything. I can play the game fine, no problem but wish I could get new songs. When trying all it comes back with is "There are no items currently available. Please check back later for new content".

Any ideas...?

Thanks.
Rob

oyvindogland
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I just got help with this from moe5555, and here is what he wrote:

I'm also in Norway, and I recently figured out how to do it (for the PS3, I assume that's what you have, since XBox games are region-locked):

Set up a new user account on your PS3, and use that one to set up a new PSN account, with a (fake) address in the US. That's straightforward. You can now download the free DLC for Rocksmith, for instance (the three Christmas "gifts"; Carol of the Bells, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and the last one I don't remember).

It however turns out you can't just buy DLC stuff with your credit or debit card directly, since they are not registered with US addresses. So you have to get hold of "PSN credit" valid for the US by buying a PSN card. I bought one here:

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/

They are available in amounts of $10, $20 and $50, as you can see, and the shop adds a ~10% fee. They will send you a scan of the code on the card to your email within a few minutes of buying it. That's it, you're now ready to buy that sweet Rocksmith DLC, just go to the shop from the main menu, then to "Songs", then choose "Add credit" or something like that when you pick a song.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if you run into any problems.

I got this to work pretty easily, but if you have any problems you can just ask me, or probably moe5555.

Good luck ;-)

Th3Pa1nK1Ll3r
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I have imported Rocksmith too, you need US account to be able to buy DLC.

RobertC2012
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Great thanks, will give this a try.

Is this for game updates as well?

oyvindogland
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I have no idea if this is for updates as I only bought it two weeks ago, but it seems like it should work for the updates aswell ;-)

Th3Pa1nK1Ll3r
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Great thanks, will give this a try.

Is this for game updates as well?

Yes.

KinchBlade
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi OP
I am in Ireland with PAL PS3 and US game. As suggested, creating a US login works perfectly fine for DLC and for updates - no issue there on either front so don't worry.
I use Bestbuy to buy USA PSN credit becasue its easy and there is no 10% surcharge, $50 costs $50. bestbuy will allow international customers to buy Virtual PSN cards - do a search and you should find a couple of threads on it

Cheers!

mbarsott
08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
That's odd. I have access to DLC through PS store with any of my 3 PS3 accounts: one American, one Brazilian for my VISA, and one Brazilian for my Mastercard. I do not buy stuff with my American account because I do not have an American credit card anymore, but anything I get with any user is available to all my PS3 users.

oyvindogland
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Probably a difference between Brazil and Europe :P

shihdo122
08-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I decided to import the game as I couldnt wait any longer, set up an american profile and loaded the game, immediately it started by updating the game and then when i went to the in game store i was able to download the free holiday pack ( good take on a couple of classic carols lol) once this worked fine i got a us psn card through the interweb and was able to download and install songs without problems. The only problem I have had up to now is when i contacted ubisoft support about a sustain problem I was informed they would not be able to help me untill the european release had happened. Other than that the game/dlc works fine and the sustain problem is not sufficient to stop me playing any of the songs at the minute.

shihdo122
08-04-2012, 06:28 AM
PS the dlc I have shows up on all the profiles on my ps3 so can be played on all profiles same as any uk dlc from playstation uk store.

oyvindogland
08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Seems a bit odd that ubi is reluctant to help you just because the game has not yet been released in the UK, wouldn't think it has anything to do with legal bullsh*t or anything.. Maybe they won't answere you because they have no idea how to :P

buffs_star
10-12-2012, 08:11 AM
i have the same problem.. Im in Australia and couldn't wait the year for it to be released. I have an US import that i bought through Amazon. Cant download anything through the game, DLC or the bass expansion. You think that Amazon might just mention this being a problem, but NO they quite happy to take my $$.. Anyhow, i can buy songs via the playstation Store, but they don't appear in the game. So whats the answer? i have to make an USA user profile ? Is that all i'll need to do and is it easy to do this?
cheers!

shihdo
10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
i have the same problem.. Im in Australia and couldn't wait the year for it to be released. I have an US import that i bought through Amazon. Cant download anything through the game, DLC or the bass expansion. You think that Amazon might just mention this being a problem, but NO they quite happy to take my $$.. Anyhow, i can buy songs via the playstation Store, but they don't appear in the game. So whats the answer? i have to make an USA user profile ? Is that all i'll need to do and is it easy to do this?
cheers!

the psn stores are region specific. if you buy an american disc and try to download from au psn the songs wont be recognized by the game (check the code on the spine of the box, is it blus30670? )
if so you will have to buy from usa psn check the post a bit earlier on in this thread. it will work as long as you are buying dlc from the same region as the disc is released.

Nematod180
10-12-2012, 05:23 PM
cheers!

Yes, that's what it takes, and it's easy to create an us account, just google up any us adress to fill in the forms with.
The tricky part is adding funds to the us account as it won't accept non us credit cards...
The solution to that is to buy PSN cards, preferably the ones where the code is delivered via email to avoid long deliver times. Bestbuy used to be a god place to buy them but now they don't sell them any more so I switched to an Canadian account. The Canadian DLC work with the US copy.
I buy the canadian cards from here https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=16436

Of course you need an canadian account for buying from the Canadian PSN store but that is easy to create..