PDA

View Full Version : SvM info

DVS_Recon_088
06-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Is there any SvM info yet for the new splinter cell?

I know it has been confirmed , but any info?
That's the only thing that will make me buy the game is the SvM multiplayer mode.

Hopefully it is like Chaos Theory. Or atleast the Mercs are. I didn't like that heart beat censor for double agent.

Oh My Godmode
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Finally, a thread I can get behind :)

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I bet that players will play as spies with Mark & Execute and the mercenaries will be AI NPCs.

Oh My Godmode
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I bet that players will play as spies with Mark & Execute and the mercenaries will be AI NPCs.
Oh god no

Puppet627
06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
That's basically just co-op and we know that both co-op and SvM in the game so I kinda doubt it.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
That's basically just co-op and we know that both co-op and SvM in the game so I kinda doubt it.
You forget that Deniable Ops was also basically co-op (Hunter, Infiltration, Last Stand), with the exception of Face-Off.

Puppet627
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I didn't 'forget' it, I just chose to call it co-op.

What you're basically saying is that they've renamed Face-Off Spies vs. Mercs.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I didn't 'forget' it, I just chose to call it co-op.

What you're basically saying is that they've renamed Face-Off Spies vs. Mercs.
I didn't say that, I said:

Face-Off involved two spies with Mark & Execute abilities facing off against each other and a bunch of AI enemies. I'm suggesting that Spies vs Mercenaries in Blacklist will have two spies with Mark & Execute teaming up with each other against a couple of AI mercenaries.

Puppet627
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Face-Off involved two spies with Mark & Execute abilities facing off against each other and a bunch of AI enemies. I'm suggesting that Spies vs Mercenaries in Blacklist will have two spies with Mark & Execute teaming up with each other against a couple of AI mercenaries.
Which game mode in Conviction involves two spies against a couple of AI enemies and each other? Hmm.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Which game mode in Conviction involves two spies against a couple of AI enemies and each other? Hmm.
Face-Off?

EmmaJordan
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Spy versus Mercenary was truly - to this day - the best multiplayer game I ever played. No matter how bad Double Agent's single player game was, I played the multiplayer for endless hours.

I am glad that they are bringing it back. However, if Mark and execute shows up for spies.... well, the hell with it. Good luck getting anyone to ever play as merc.

Puppet627
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Why make it players vs. AI when you can have players against players? SvM was one of the biggest things fans wanted for the sequel and it's probably the only thing that might bring them back. If fans wanted to team up with another player against AI, they would play Hunter.

Screwing SvM up would be suicidal. Not literally.

newhenpal
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Repackaging Face Off as the new SvM is a scarily likely possibility. All they need to do is take the enemy AI of single-player, give him a helmet, visor, and flashlight, and they're set.

I can imagine the PR spin on this already, "We felt that our previous adversarial offering in Conviction, known as Face Off, was a perfect foundation for our new take on Spies VS Mercenaries in Blacklist. Not only is there a sole emphasis on spy action, but they now have Sam's latent abilities, namely Mark & Execute, which we could not possible deprive gamers of, regardless of what mode they play in our game."

NoBirdSing
06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Anything less than PT/CT style SvM is not truly bringing back SvM.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't know if you saw my answer to your question Puppet, but it's on the previous page (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/681278-SvM-info?p=8365407&viewfull=1#post8365407).

Why make it players vs. AI when you can have players against players?
That's a question that should have probably been directed to Conviction's developers about three years ago.

One of Ubisoft Montreal's goals with Conviction was to make the player feel powerful as Sam Fisher (and, by extension, Archer and Kestrel) -- that's why they introduced Mark & Execute.

Now, in previous games Spies versus Mercenaries involved two spies against two mercenaries. Spies had Sam's abilities from the single player campaign and played in third person while mercenaries played the game like a first person shooter. Some players expressed disappointment at having to play as the mercenaries because they didn't like the gameplay. I remember other players leaving the game when they were assigned to the mercenary team instead of the spy team. For them, going from playing as a Sam Fisher analogue to just a generic first person shooter guy was disempowering.

Conviction introduced Mark & Execute as a gameplay feature in the single player campaign, co-op campaign, and online multiplayer to empower the player. It now returns in Blacklist as a feature in the single player campaign. Based on what the developers have said in the past about Conviction, I predict that that Mark & Execute will also appear in co-op (assuming that there is co-op) and SvM.

Of course, giving spies the ability to Mark & Execute mercenaries would likely increase the amount of people who do not want to play as mercenaries. So, as a solution, I think they will make it so that players will be playing as spies with Mark & Execute against AI mercenaries. Not just any old enemy AI either, but ones that will be actively and aggressively searching for players like the mercenary bots on Double Agent Xbox 360 SvM.

SvM was one of the biggest things fans wanted for the sequel and it's probably the only thing that might bring them back. If fans wanted to team up with another player against AI, they would play Hunter.
We don't know if Hunter will be returning, let alone any of the other game modes. All that is confirmed is Spies versus Mercenaries.

Screwing SvM up would be suicidal. Not literally.
I do think they will have to handle it very carefully.

Repackaging Face Off as the new SvM is a scarily likely possibility. All they need to do is take the enemy AI of single-player, give him a helmet, visor, and flashlight, and they're set.

I can imagine the PR spin on this already, "We felt that our previous adversarial offering in Conviction, known as Face Off, was a perfect foundation for our new take on Spies VS Mercenaries in Blacklist. Not only is there a sole emphasis on spy action, but they now have Sam's latent abilities, namely Mark & Execute, which we could not possible deprive gamers of, regardless of what mode they play in our game."
Exactly. All they promised was Spies versus Mercenaries. They didn't say it would be the same SvM as in Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.

What I've proposed is, basically, spies versus mercenaries. You play as spies versus AI mercenaries.

newhenpal
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
You actually bought that whole "empowerment" angle? They didn't implement SvM in Conviction because they didn't have the time or the initiative. That's why. I guess them being incapable of squeezing their auto-aim gimmick into it may have had a little to do with the exclusion of SvM.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 05:57 PM
You actually bought that whole "empowerment" angle?
With Mark & Execute, yes.

They didn't implement SvM in Conviction because they didn't have the time or the initiative. That's why.
Did I say otherwise?

I guess them being incapable of squeezing their auto-aim gimmick into it may have had a little to do with the exclusion of SvM.
That seems to be what Beland suggests.

“It was really a question of not being able to do it.”

NoBirdSing
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I wonder how soon they'll reveal multiplayer information? Hmm...

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I wonder how soon they'll reveal multiplayer information? Hmm...
They're not allowed to talk about that.

NoBirdSing
06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
They're not allowed to talk about that.

At E3 maybe, but that ends in a few days.

The_5_Freedoms
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
At E3 maybe, but that ends in a few days.
Heh, I was paraphrasing Beland who always used to say, "I cannot talk about that." when people asked about Spies versus Mercenaries in Conviction.

NoBirdSing
06-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Heh, I was paraphrasing Beland who always used to say, "I cannot talk about that." when people asked about Spies versus Mercenaries in Conviction.

Ah. Haha, I remember that. I just want to know if it will be the true oldschool SvM or the watered down DA version. Or hell, knowing them, maybe even something entirely different.

Oh My Godmode
06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Anything less than PT/CT style SvM is not truly bringing back SvM.

I wish I could agree more than 100%

RKHarrsion
06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Just came here to make sure SvM was coming back in Blacklist after reading this...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-splinter-cell-blacklist-announced

IGN "The classic adversarial multiplayer mode Spies vs. Mercs also makes its return to the Splinter Cell franchise after its notable absence in Conviction."

I for one am so excited and also relieved that the best multiplayer ever will be returning again! Especially since my favourite FPS Halo has been well and truly murdered... I hope SvM is just like DA.

Please don't tinker with it Ubi

CoolBrinkman
06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Nooo DA took away the anxiety from removing yourself with cover by implementing the heartbeat sensor and remote hacking. PT and CT actually made you walk up to your objective and use teamwork.

I just hope they bring back the stun gun for the spies. Also bring back some retro maps like Invertigo and Cinema, with some extraction game modes please. ;)

reddragonhrcro
06-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Nooo DA took away the anxiety from removing yourself with cover by implementing the heartbeat sensor and remote hacking. PT and CT actually made you walk up to your objective and use teamwork.

I just hope they bring back the stun gun for the spies. Also bring back some retro maps like Invertigo and Cinema, with some extraction game modes please. ;)

Yes but the CT version was raher much way to hard for newcomers in both roles while in DA it was much more flexible and simple to adjust.

legacyzero
06-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Yes but the CT version was raher much way to hard for newcomers in both roles while in DA it was much more flexible and simple to adjust.
This statement is hard to argue. I would love to have a SvM just like Double Agent, but have it be more cusomizable! Also, a game browser like CT would be LOVELY! Not this random game thing from SCDA which made it hard to find a game.

St3aLtHy32
06-07-2012, 01:31 AM
This statement is hard to argue. I would love to have a SvM just like Double Agent, but have it be more cusomizable! Also, a game browser like CT would be LOVELY! Not this random game thing from SCDA which made it hard to find a game.

I love the CT version more than anything in the world, but I could compromise.

I think they could do similar to the DA version but with much more. Spies need their Shock guns back. Mercs don't need a heartbeat sensor. Spies need the ability to hold more than 1 gadget. The gadgets need to be more diverse instead of just "Press the bumper to drop this". Dedicated servers would be nice in a game that is all about precision timing.

michaelanjello
06-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Pretty much anything they do as long as mercs are first person and there is no mark and execute will make it good. What if mercs arent first person? What if theyre third? Then wat?

I hope its first. I mean if you grab cover and its third, im still ok with that. But walking around should be in first

michaelanjello
06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
I posted in another thread, how during the Gamespot show, Max said something like,

"Spies versus Mercs is back...... As a spy, you're in third person......"

To me, it seemed like he had more to say, on that topic, but cut himself short. My immediate thought was, "Would you bother to say SPIES are in third person, if the mercs were too?". Probably not. I would guess the mercs are, in fact, first person. otherwise - Why would he take the time to specify that spies "ARE third person"?

You know what I mean?

yeah, i heard him say that as well. And he also did say that the mercs were like Rainbow Six guys in that same video. So i bet they will be First Person. Thats a good sign. Thanks for pointing that out.

RKHarrsion
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I can't see how 3rd person Merc's would work? Been in 1st Person made you edgy and paranoid as well as leaving you exposed in the back. I really how SvM stays the same to many game titles and changing there games so often its hard to stay in love with them.

J.G.Barnes
06-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm just going to quote what I posted in another thread...

Here is the real reason why I'm here: Spies Vs. Mercs I know I'm not alone in saying SvM will be a buy or no-buy deal breaker if it's not handled properly. I haven't seen enough people asking about SvM here and it's kind of shocking to me since that was all the rage back when I played.

PT's multiplayer has had the most profound effect on me. Every multiplayer game in existence since then gets compared to PT's intensity and hugely rewarding SvM in my social circle. I've never in my life played a multiplayer game more gripping and original. I had nearly given up hope that I would ever experience anything remotely close ever again. Now, I wouldn't say you've restored hope, but Ubisoft and Splinter Cell are back on my radar. I'm now curious. And that's saying A LOT!

My heart skipped when I read Spies Vs. Mercs would be back. I got that physical sensation of warmth and nervousness all at the same time. This means something to me. I am begging you. If I could literally beg at your feet, I would gladly take that opportunity to desperately ask that you do not mess this up. Make it mature, intelligent, methodical, and progressive.

- How many players total in one game? How many on each faction?

- Any returning maps?

- Will the Spies and Mercs play styles remain wholly unique from each other?

- Deathmatch will not be a prominent game type, I hope? Please do your best to keep the primary game mode one that is appealing enough so that I don't have to jump from lobby to lobby because EVERYONE IS F**KING PLAYING DEATHMATCH! And when I create my own game in my own lobby I don't want to sit for literally 30 minutes at a time between matches because EVERYONE IS F**KING PLAYING DEATHMATCH!

- Please tell me there is no heartbeat sensor. If you only answer one question, please answer this one.

The adrenaline rush and sense of reward that surged through me executing the most perfectly paced, perfectly timed, and perfectly beautiful plan in Spies Vs. Mercs is unequaled in anything else I've ever played. Please, do not drop the ball on this. If I wanted explosive run n' gun action I'd play Battlefield. The reason we play Splinter Cell is because it's not Call of Duty. It's not Halo. It's not Gears of War. It is Splinter Cell and only Splinter Cell. Keep it that way with or without Ironside.!

RKHarrsion
06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I more or less agree but no heart beat sensor would leave merc well and truly screwed! I feel like the only time it helped you was in 1v1 situations were as I know from experience that I would get grabbed occasionally while gunning his buddy down. When both sides are truly focused on there tasks and not trying to snap each others necks SvM was perfect.

No Deathmatch please!

Oh My Godmode
06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Objective based game types are awesome, like story mode.

Mercs shouldn't have a proximity detector. They SHOULD have motion detection vision, emf vision as well.

The spies should have the heart beat detector from Chaos Theory.

I miss the intensity of the cat and mouse gameplay. I miss hiding and checking around with the heart beat detector to see if it's safe. I miss the nervous feeling of KNOWING the Merc is on te other side of the door or wall and you could be found at any moment. I miss the energizing feeling of knowing that the Merc has no real idea where you are until you make a move.

NoBirdSing
06-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Objective based game types are awesome, like story mode.

Mercs shouldn't have a proximity detector. They SHOULD have motion detection vision, emf vision as well.

The spies should have the heart beat detector from Chaos Theory.

I miss the intensity of the cat and mouse gameplay. I miss hiding and checking around with the heart beat detector to see if it's safe. I miss the nervous feeling of KNOWING the Merc is on te other side of the door or wall and you could be found at any moment. I miss the energizing feeling of knowing that the Merc has no real idea where you are until you make a move.

We can only hope Ubi has already acknowledged this and not turned it into something entirely differnet again.