PDA

View Full Version : Splinter cell blacklist impressions?

Dieinthedark
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Hmm comment specifically later but first NO MICHAEL IRONSIDE?!?!

On my phone il comment more later...what about the rest of you?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-04-2012, 05:58 PM
DO NOT WANT. It seems like they listened to none of the concerns from anyone....no Ironside, no moving bodies, no anything apparently except a knife for more brutal kills. Still no non lethal as of now. SMH.

Oh cool. SvM! What a joke. Ugh.

SailingBMWturbo
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
when i first saw it i didn't really know what game it was untill i saw the mark and ****ing execute >_> then i was like "oh gosh hope it's not splinter cell, hope it's not splinter cell" but then sadly it was >_> i don't want ****ING james bond wannabe game, i want the old stealth back! i'm sure the game is going to be really fun but it's not SPLINTER CELL, No lightmeter, No sound meter, No way to adjust the movement speed >_>

guess one of the best stealth series have died...

reddragonhrcro
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
when i first saw it i didn't really know what game it was untill i saw the mark and ****ing execute >_> then i was like "oh gosh hope it's not splinter cell, hope it's not splinter cell" but then sadly it was >_> i don't want ****ING james bond wannabe game, i want the old stealth back! i'm sure the game is going to be really fun but it's not SPLINTER CELL, No lightmeter, No sound meter, No way to adjust the movement speed >_>

guess one of the best stealth series have died...

I knew it that it was SC as soon as it started.I m pretty impressed by it tought i don´t get whats with the daytime mission hate,i mean it may be the only one over daytime also it makes things more challenging for stealth.Can´t wait for the demo.

newhenpal
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
From the "Screenshots!!" thread:

I knew that they were going to use SCC's co-op as a basis for single player, but I didn't think that they would infuse it with...Future Soldier? So now it would appear that the series has ditched the fugitive angle and now has a sci-fi bent.

And a daylight mission too? It was a mildly interesting proposition back in 2006, but Double Agent and Conviction have proven that they really have nothing going for them. Stop tryin' to make it happen, Ubisoft. Sneaking around in the shadows has always been Splinter Cell's forte. Let other titles like MGS or Hitman tackle stealth in the daylight.

Now either they're naming their DLC months in advance or they're withholding content again. Awesome if true.http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

Well, I guess at least a good deal of us "Negative Nancys" will just continue to be left in the dark...or the light, as the case may be.http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/frown.png That is unless E3 footage proves to be spectacular and in line with the original trilogy.

I see that Sam has his trusty OPSAT and Shadownet is making an appearance, so at least one can be assured that they really did play the previous games this time. Also, is that a health pack I see behind Sam in the first image on the site? Hmm....

The_5_Freedoms
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I was surprised with how much action gameplay they showed off -- lots of Mark & Execute running and gunning.

I was kind of hoping that they would show off more traditional stealthy Splinter Cell gameplay but I guess they decided action was the best way to break the ice.

I'm not worried about Sam's voice in that demo. I remember there was a trailer for Double Agent that didn't have Ironside's voice either and the reason for that was that they couldn't get Ironside to record the lines in time for debut.

@ newhenpal

The series hasn't had a fugitive angle since it was canceled in 2008.

H.A.R.M.s
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I knew it that it was SC as soon as it started.I m pretty impressed by it tought i don´t get whats with the daytime mission hate,i mean it may be the only one over daytime also it makes things more challenging for stealth.Can´t wait for the demo.What stealth? When Sam cut throat all way through level. Or when he ordered UAV attack on mounted machine gun.

It's CEll of Duty.Not Splinter Cell.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeahhhh...this is total bull****. I am really pissed. I got my hopes slightly up, gave them the benefit of the doubt...but they just decided to make it even worse. Seriously...this looks just like future Soldier....THEY ALREADY MADE THAT GAME. God ****....differentiate your games Ubi. Right now the only unique one is AC....ugh.

I didnt even care about mark and execute...I was thinking "yeah they kept it for casual fans but they are definitely going to show him KNOCK A GUARD OUT and not kill him, use NIGHTVISION, and HIDE A BODY" ...guess I was wrong that they'd incororate the BASIC ****ING PRINCIPLES of the game. Way to listen to the fans Ubi...

newhenpal
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM
There was a pre-rendered video from E3 2009 where Reed said something like "You can't hide from us, Fisher, we'll find you!". So apparently he was still a fugitive, even if they never directly mentioned it like anything else from Double Agent other than Sarah being (supposedly) dead. Well, whatever. Let's say that they're now ditching the "Third Echelon is trying to kill him and he's mostly on his own" angle because...apparently it no longer exists and he's the boss of a Fourth Echelon now?

Shomberlon
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
There was a pre-rendered video from E3 2009 where Reed said something like "You can't hide from us, Fisher, we'll find you!". So apparently he was still a fugitive, even if they never directly mentioned it like anything else from Double Agent other than Sarah being (supposedly) dead. Well, whatever. Let's say that they're now ditching the "Third Echelon is trying to kill him and he's mostly on his own" angle because...apparently it no longer exists and he's the boss of a Fourth Echelon now?

I'm guessing it has to do with the ending of conviction. I hope it is a case that he was unavailable to record his voice in time as the voice is as iconic as the inferred glasses symbol.

The_5_Freedoms
06-04-2012, 06:43 PM
No. You're wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1qHdxr4QtQ#t=0m30s

From what you're saying it seems like you didn't even play Conviction.

kalle90
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
My first thought was WTF.

They had the guts to show off a daytime mission? That right there is enough to elevate my concerns to 100%. They didn't put any effort in showing proper stealth. Just rush through the level killing everyone in an eyeflash. Oh but we have more fluid kill animations and Kinect controls to call in airstrikes?

I actually hoped Ironside wouldn't be in, because that would cement my opinion that this isn't Sam nor Splinter Cell.

EDIT:
Atleast Beland didn't seem as excited. Maybe he was told to keep it down? On the other hand he was so formal and official it makes me wonder whether even he is excited about this game.

The_5_Freedoms
06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I think Beland was excited in 2009 because no word of Conviction had been heard for nearly two years after it was supposed to be released and he had brand new gameplay to show off.

What we see now is an evolution of that gameplay so for him there's probably not a lot more to be excited about. Beland is also creative director so he would have been involved in Blacklist from the start. With Conviction, he only became involved in 2008 at which point the game had already been in development for three years.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I hope so too...sigh. But I don't care if he returns if the game feels even less like SC even with moving bodies.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
This day just got even worse. UGHHHHH. I was looking forward to seeing this and at the very least going "hm...well mark and execute is still in there" (cause I was 99.5% sure it would be) "but oh! look, the guy just knocked that guy out. And now he lifted him over his shoulder...omg! wait now what? hes varying speed and slowing down to sneak up on the guy...slit his throat! yes! cutting the flap, walking through, it's dark in here....no black and white....hes gonna use his goggles...NIGHTVISION! yes! mark and executing, grabbing a guy and classic interrogating him? yes! picking up an assault rifle...okay....having a firefight...ugh...fine...grabbing a guy and brutally interrogating him..."

Like I honestly thought they'd make the game a mix between CT and SCC after all the concerns...or at least a bit more in the stealth department. But no. Not really. they added in hiding bodies. Fantastic. The game still wont feel the same.

phantom-queen
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I think this was a short look into the gameplay, and the Ubisoft team knew they would be first of stage after the Halo4 trailer. They couldn't announce it from the shadows.

The stealth game play is a huge part of the series, SSC gameplay made shadow play a real skill required from the player. There is no tunnel gameplay were you have to be stealth but if you want a play from the shadows you can. I have faith this will come in to play, we just haven't seen it yet!

qJohnnyppp
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
The stealth game play is a huge part of the series, SSC gameplay made shadow play a real skill required from the player.
if you want a play from the shadows you can. !
You can but it's tedious and annoying. The game forces you to kill. It doesn't give you options. The only reason people (me included) played SCC stealthily is because they hoped it would work. It didn't.

phantom-queen
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like you caught it though, goodbye Mr. Ironside: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/06/04/splinter-cell-blacklist-video-michael-ironside/

kalle90
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
They also still have the ridicilous latency for enemy awareness. If I'm standing out in the open on a sunny day it shouldn't take even 0.001 seconds for a thug who's standing 20 meters away to notice me.

OniLinkSword
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
You know what? The E3 gameplay looked amazing. They did exactly what I hope they would do. They implemented elements from previous games with Convictions core system and made everything more fluid. I am a bit bummed out that Ironside isn't playing the role. I hope this new kid can pull it off. I would also like to see how they are doing SvM.

To the haters: Deal with it :cool:

DerSeeBaer
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
You know what? The E3 gameplay looked amazing. They did exactly what I hope they would do. They implemented elements from previous games with Convictions core system and made everything more fluid. I am a bit bummed out that Ironside isn't playing the role. I hope this new kid can pull it off. I would also like to see how they are doing SvM.

To the haters: Deal with it :cool:

I kinda have to agree, I mean did anyone REALLY expect them to go back to the Chaos Theory gameplay style? At least its kind of a compromise and it looks like fun.

newhenpal
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
No. You're wrong.

From what you're saying it seems like you didn't even play Conviction.
Something like it. Barely, but yeah. I don't quite remember every detail of that 1:50 long video. I do vividly remember those six hours playing Conviction, so yes, I played it.

AGENTxxxxx47
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Well I purchased every game on release since the first except Conviction.

As a stealth fan I feel completely left out again.

No non lethal take downs in the demo, no alternate night infiltration.

The enemy seems unmoved by sounds from Sam, unlike the first games.

This game is developed by developers who DO NOT like stealth gaming, it's that simple.

Look at the some of the old pre-Conviction release quotes

"Andréane says- “We’re not using the shadow stealth as a constraint or as an obligation. You don’t have to hide because you might get shot or killed with an automatic game over."

“Our creative director felt that waiting was not empowering. People would tell me you can stay in the shadows, leave your console and come back later and you still won’t get detected (in Chaos Theory)."

"Go and Google Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and look at the images. You're going to see some images of Sam, he looks as if he could be in the same world as Batman. He's wearing that ****ing wetsuit and he's super-built, and the rain and the goggles, and you look at him and you think he could be in the Batmobile with Batman."-Beland

"Beland doesn't like green night-vision sequences in games and told me that Fisher's goggles aren't used for anything like that"

"As I was playing them (The other Splinter Cells), I found them to be allot frustrating."-developer Conviction

"creative director Maxime Beland states over a sandwich in a café, “We wanted Splinter Cell: Conviction to be more about action"

OniLinkSword
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I kinda have to agree, I mean did anyone REALLY expect them to go back to the Chaos Theory gameplay style? At least its kind of a compromise and it looks like fun.

Yeah, I never expected CT2, and frankly developers shouldn't limit themselves. That's where COD keeps falling flat. They get a good idea and drive it into the ground.

OBMOC
06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
First Impressions!!

Love the new graphical look of the game. The characters have much better animations, The graphics of the engine look way better than Future Solider or Conviction. All and all the game is looking much better. Plus It's been revealed Spy vs Merc is returning which is freaking huge. I really hope the increase the mission variety and allow us to do other things besides kill everyone to reach an objective. I'd love to enter levels where killing isn't allowed or its mission failure, I'd love missions where detection fails the mission, I'd love missions where we are just gathering intel and eavesdropping on conversations. Etc.. Picking up unused gadgets, hiding bodies, and maps that actually take place at night and use a light meter.

As for Spy vs Merc,

1. Bring back the classic gameplay from Chaos Theory
2. Add a leveling system like COD for both sides and let us customize our loadouts for the spys and mercs.
3. Address the merc spawn killing of the spies by creating random entry and exit points for the spys.
4. Totally go over the top with all the gear, and gadgets for each side. Prox mines, laser mines, gas grenades, motion sensors, turrets, camera spikes, etc...

TOTALLY GEEKED, UBI MAKE IT HAPPEN THIS TIME!!!!

Don't make me start another petition for a legit spy vs merc.

phantom-queen
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
@qJohnnyppp I have played SSC with stealth at the heart, it's hard but possible. Silent deaths do occur (not as many as you may think) but its a dangerous mission. SolidSage posted a thread on just this style of gameplay with more details, I will need to go dig it up.

Jacksterlark2
06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
My thoughts: This looks like one really bad splinter cell game. None of the charachters look like themselves. They all look younger. Especially Sam; he looks like he's at least 50 years of age in conviction, yet in this game he looks like he is in his 30s. And what! No Michael Ironside! The game also looks like it is playing in the light! It doesnt look like stealth at all. While this is bad news for splinter cell fans, it still looks like a great action game. It's a shame to see splinter Cell come out of the stealth shadows and into the land of action games, but it still looks like a great action game. I actually thought that conviction was my favirite game, but in blacklist they completely took out the stealth. I would rather just have this game not even be part of the Splinter Cell Franchise. It looks great for an action game but it just doesn't belong in the Splinter Cell franchise.

Ristar85
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
SCB is a solo GRFS with a "one button to rule them all" function.

mattduck69
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
my thoughts- when the demo opened up and i heard "hi im maxime beland, creative director on splinter cell blacklist" i new it wouldnt be like the legacy games. especially when the first thing you see is Sam mark and execute 2 guys, then interrogate a man. But what got to me the most in that total action sequence was "wait he doesnt sound like Sam" and "wait he doesnt LOOK like Sam...they must've gotten a new protagonist". But no, the 20 years younger Fisher walks out of that ten, although i was glad to see him yet once again in his gear and goggles.

Whilst embodied with rage over what they've done to our beloved Sam i began to think, ''oh well maybe we will see some of the old mechanics? Raymond did promise us it would be going to its roots several months ago." Surley yes! i saw Sam pull out a knife and cut the tent! theres one thing! Then i saw the cover takedown Raymond also talked about earlier on this year, which i think is a very nice addition. But when i saw Sam marking three targets i knew the action was about to start...and now...killing in motion. While i love the idea and it does look pretty awsome, i still feel sadened that i hadnt seen atleast something i was wanting since conviction, variable speeds. That honestly is my number one thing i want in this game because it opens up ghosting!

while the demo moved on we saw Sam on drugs scailing a rockwall faster than ezio which i hope it cut from the game, they should make it that Sam shoots a line with his crossbow and rappels the wall, much more realistic than a 50something year old who's been to hell, come back to earth then back to hell again on several occasions climbing a 50 foot call in seconds. But as usual when my hope started to diminish, i saw Sam use a stick shocker! This brought joy to me to know that non-lethal was back!

But yet again Sam turns all actiony again for no aparent reason and calls a drone to blow up a truck. (which im my opinion wouldve been better if Sam just silently sticky shockered the guy who was on the gun?) Then Sam moves on to scail another monkey on drugs driven wall then blows a door, executes two dudes and forgets to put his safety on his gun which ends in the nim-wit techy to shoot himself. Oh and we got to hear more of the Sam who hasnt gone through puberty.
in conclusion my thought on the good and bad
GOOD-
-non-lethal
-cover takedowns
-old gear
-sticky shockers
-no black and white

BAD
-20 year old Sam
-Sam owning ezio in a climbing contest
-no Ironside :'(
-no good variable speeds(from what we have seen)
-drones
-Sams still angry for some reason?!
-Sams the head of 4E and also the field agent?!? not a good idea