PDA

View Full Version : Something Wonky with Melee

Compassghost
05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I've been testing out melee for a bit, and something seems wonky. Specifically meleeing anyone in the back. From the sides, you can get an easy melee, but from the back, for example with a Recon, you can be right up to their backpackwith modelbox, and still not reach them with melee. It's hard to describe, but it just feels as if the melee range is so short that you can't hit a target unless you're meleeing them at a certain angle, be it the front or the side. Anyone able to verify this? I have some footage from the other day where I could not melee a recon as he cloaked from the back despite being right there and spamming melee like it was broken =_=

FireFrost
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I would like to be able to melee a proning guy when standing up rather than having to crouch. And I agree that the melee range seems a bit short, but if the hitbox is right on the spot then its only us.

Compassghost
05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Here's an older video, but you can see that I pretty much could not hit that first recon despite being right up to him and swinging my elbow like crazy. I ended up clearing the other two with less difficulty before hitting the cloaked one. Perhaps adding maybe half a foot would address the backpack-protects-from-melee without making it CoD Commando Lunge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s00SzkHLfc

RandomExpletive
05-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Melee feels completely wrong to me. Even in Gears of War, which has a similar camera setup, melee feels right, and you'll know when you've hit someone (I don't mean the chainsaw, there IS a regular melee ability in GoW)

If I'm within a couple feet of someone, looking directly at them, mashing my middle mouse ****on, i EXPECT to get that kill. and when they spin around after the second or 3rd attempt and kill me with 2 shots, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'd very much like to get a friend and put together some kind of video highlighting melee, and seeing if we can learn anything from reviewing the footage.

Question: Do Assault shields deflect melee? because if so thats a little disheartening, and if anything, should just require twice the amount of melee hits to kill a shielded assault from his back.

Compassghost
05-04-2012, 02:38 AM
No, they don't. I've meleed a Blitzer in the front before with his shield up and killed him.

Davynelord
05-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Here's an older video, but you can see that I pretty much could not hit that first recon despite being right up to him and swinging my elbow like crazy. I ended up clearing the other two with less difficulty before hitting the cloaked one. Perhaps adding maybe half a foot would address the backpack-protects-from-melee without making it CoD Commando Lunge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s00SzkHLfc

Ok, so whenever I have issues like this, meaning I'm missing people when I think I should have hit them, the first step is to see if I can eliminate the possibility of human error just in case that is the issue. So what I did was download your vid and step through it frame by frame...here is what I found...

1. the 1st recon you tried to hit, although you lined up the reticule on him for the first hit attempt, you hit melee before you were close enough to him (you simply were out of melee range). The next couple of swings you tried to connect with both were not lined up on him right and as you tried to compensate, you moved the reticule off to the left side of the target then swung and so you missed because of that.

2. the next 2 enemies you tried to hit you actually had the targeting reticule lined up perfect on them the whole time (except when the one attempt to hit when the guy went prone) but you were very close to them (closer than the 1st recon you tried to hit)...so you killed them easily.

3. the third recon you killed was actually the cloaker you missed the first time around, but this time you lined him up dead center...I guess he was looking through the scope the whole time and didn't see you kill his teammates even though he was behind you while you were killing them...sadly many new players to the game (Including myself when I first started) aren't aware their surroundings when you snipe.

So my conclussion here is that it was human error why you couldn't hit the 1st recon...Also another thing I think is worth mentioning is that the melee ****on should really be on the keyboard, not the mouse..especially if you have a very high DPI mouse. If for example, your melee ****on is middle mouse ****on and you have a high DPI mouse, being that you have to keep the enemy dead center (where your reticule would be if you had tried to shoot them instead), it is a high possibility that as you go to hit the middle mouse ****on, the mouse moves slightly enough to throw the aim off. In your vid this did seem to happen once or twice.

However, I should mention that the video seemed to be poor quality and thus the frame rate was low...therefore some frames were missing but not enough that you can't tell where the mistakes were made as far as accuracy goes. So overall there seems to be two issues here....the melee hit box is really really small and has extremely short range (I mean it is an elbow swing after all). Secondly, because of that you really have to be extremely accurate (more so than with a gun)....some people seem to try to line up their elbow or **** of the gun when trying to melee...from what I see in the video it seems you have to line up the target as you would if you were shooting them with a rifle...normally dead center of your screen.

EDIT: why is B U T T censored? It's not a foul or derogatory word... so the word B U T T O N is censored LOL!

Compassghost
05-04-2012, 07:35 AM
My melee ****on is the V. IF you turn it up, you can hear me mashing V to pieces. I have tried to melee other players from the back with no success at all. I have an easier time diving and meleeing than I do normal meleeing.

parskey
05-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I think some of it has to do with the difficult of judging short distances from the 3rd person perspective so maybe add a little more range to melee. Compass I agree that first recon that you couldn't melee was definitely a problem with the game you were right up on him swinging like crazy.

Krabat_XIII
05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Melee works fine. You have to aim.

In that video, the crosshair is clearly way to the left of the target. You need to aim with the crosshair, like everything else.

You can melee while standing against someone prone.

If someones model is in the general vicinity in front of you, it shouldn't be a free kill for just hitting a key.

Compassghost
05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Well then, they need to adjust the left-handed melee then, because it looks pretty incorrect when your elbow physically clips their backpack and does not count, and also basically defines a direct melee attack to the back as:

O <- enemy
_O <- you

If you are facing the same direction in terms of camera orientation, which would explain why I have an easier time meleeing from the side than I do from the back.