PDA

View Full Version : Question about He-111 Bombing

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I know your supposed to put the TAS into the bombsight but in the bombing training track & in the game manual it says that if the target does'nt remain in the crosshair use the Increase/Decrease Bombsight Velocity keys to correct this, In the training track it mentions that increasing bombsight velocity will make the target drift slower, My question is if i start messing with the velocity settings then my TAS won't be entered into the bombsight & if my Altitude & TAS are accurate (according to the chart) then why do i need to correct at all.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

Oberst Johannes Steinhoff (176 kills)

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I know your supposed to put the TAS into the bombsight but in the bombing training track & in the game manual it says that if the target does'nt remain in the crosshair use the Increase/Decrease Bombsight Velocity keys to correct this, In the training track it mentions that increasing bombsight velocity will make the target drift slower, My question is if i start messing with the velocity settings then my TAS won't be entered into the bombsight & if my Altitude & TAS are accurate (according to the chart) then why do i need to correct at all.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Don't know why it does that, but it does. I usually just enter the altitude to 50m accuracy and then adjust with speed. I think the problem maybe that the IAS to TAS chart may not be correct. Anyways, just adjust it some by changing the speed.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
That is corect. Your fooling the bombsite actually. I watch the bomb site to make sure the cross hairs are remaining constant. If not you can increase or decrease the speed until it stays where you want it to. Play with it a bit and you will see. It works very well, and your bombs will drop exactly where you want them to. Or at least where the crosshairs are at.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 02:43 AM
Maj_Death wrote:
- Don't know why it does that, but it does. I usually
- just enter the altitude to 50m accuracy and then
- adjust with speed. I think the problem maybe that
- the IAS to TAS chart may not be correct.

I also think that the IAS/TAS chart is not correct, Either that or the game is messed up

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 04:58 AM
The problem with the chart is that the IAS goes in increments of 50Km per hour, Now for me the He-111 tops out at 330-340Km per hour (even with 110% power & 100% prop pitch & a closed radiator), The chart has the TAS for 350kph (IAS) at 407kph (round down to 400kph) for 2500m, at 330-340kph how much do i lower the velocity setting because for 300kph for 2500m is 370kph (TAS), So if your IAS is between 300 & 350kph (IAS) what do i set the velocity at???

Sorry if this post is confusing/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ,I just need someone to explain this more clearly, I wish Stewarts HE-111 Guide was still available.

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi
You can just interpolate
Or use a flight computer if you have one.
Another way is to use the no cockpit view...if allowed in multiplayer, it will give you your TAS (True Air Speed), then complete the chart for the speeds and alt you usually use for your bomb runs...

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
So one of you that understands this, run thru the coplete targeting and setting up of bombsight one time. What exactly do we do to use bombsight? Like a quick tutorial.

This is JimRockford. At the tone leave your name and message; I'll get back to you.

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim,

The first thing you need to do, is assign keys for all the associated bombsight controls. Incr/dcr bombsight altitude, incr/dcr bombsight distance (angle), and incr/dcr bombsight velocity, bombsight automation, and the "level stabilizer". You should also map a key to return you to the pilot's station from any of the gunner/bombardier positions. This way, you press the "C" key to go to the bombardier's position, hit SHF F1 to look through the sight, and you can always get back in the pilot's seat with one key press without having to cycle through all the gunner stations.

You should also have rudder and elevator trim mapped to your stick if possible. These controls have a limited influence on the level stabilizer while it's engaged.

First thing to do PRIOR to getting within visual range of the target, is to make sure that your plane is trimmed up for horizontal flight as well as possible. Any power changes after engaging the level stabilizer will affect the plane's altitude, so make sure that your speed has stabilized as well. I normally try to fly from the IP (initial point) at a fairly slow speed (230-250Kph) just to give me a longer time to get everything set up. When you engage the level stabilizer, the a/c will usually begin a slight descent, so do not put your current altitude into the bombsight, use a lower figure by approximately 2-300 meters. Swing your bombsight out, by increasing the bombsight distance. A good angle to start with is around 65 to 70 degrees. Next put your speed in, and then your altitude. You can check your bombsight solution by engaging the bombsight automation to see if it is drifting forward or backwards. Disengage the bombsight, and begin making corrections with your rudder trim to get the vertical line of the sight lined up with your target. Don't forget to take that correction out once you're lined up, otherwise the plane will continue to turn. There is a key you can use to cancel rudder trim, but I can't remember what it is right now.

Once your cross hairs are over the target, re-engage the bombsight automation, and make corrections for drift with the incr/dcr velocity keys. The bombsight will automatically drop the bombs for you. QED

"Those people in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 02:02 PM
What? I can bomb easily with Heinkel from up to 7000 meters.. works fine for me /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I would just hope for more bomb variants for bombers (and more bombers !) .. like SC1000 and 10 SC70.. would do some more damage..

Official Sig:

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/shots/Vipez4.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Agreed

The biggest pain in the current He111 2 is the payload,the 50/70's are way to light to do anything else than blow up neatly parked aircraft, trains are a joke unless you place the bomb directly on the railcars i dropped within half a meter all along the side of a fuel train with 50's and not a scratch, at present level bombing is a pain as getting to a decent alt 5000mtrs and watch your bombs hit the target perfectly well with no result is a bit depressing, especially when a single TB3 can level a whole village in a single drop, when it eventually gets there that is /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif , and the He111 has trouble destroying a single factory.

H6 payload is very specific with torps and a tight pattern of SC250/500 but once again unless targets are tightly packed in the effectiveness is very limited.

So im not too sure if the sc50/70 are correctly moddeled for effecting damage but if i drop a bomb half a metre from a fuel truck i'd expect it to blow up.

Alpha

Heres a old web site made from converted power point for our bomber pilots.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alphas/Bombing%20help%20web%20pages.index%20htm

Message Edited on 09/11/0303:17PM by KG26_Alpha

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 05:59 PM
The SC70's are devistating against columns of soft targets such as hangers, train stations, supply depots and other such things. But hardened targets such as tanks and such are impossible. I can bomb with great accuracy up to 6000m (have yet to try higher) but the armaments are very limiting. I find the H-6's bomb load a little more useful. The 4xSC500's are devistating, but you do have to aim them right. Anyways, I hope that oleg fixes all the armaments in the upcoming free addon. The He-111's are very good bombers, we just need some more bomb loads for them.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Have you all noticed the huge difference in climb performance between the -2 and -6?!! I guess it's because of the -6's bomb load hainging out in the breeze, but I find that it takes forever to get to altitude in the -6, and almost impossible to stay in formation with a -2 if you're in a -6.

Just for the pure fun of it, there's nothing like a tight box of -6's dropping on a target off the lead's signal. A real hoot! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"Those people in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif