PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Cloaked Recons

Compassghost
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I've been playing a bit of Recon. I'm not sure if it's my rig and being set on medium/high or what, but cloaked Recons are very difficult to see, even up close. The first time I saw one, I wouldn't have realized it had I not known optic camouflage was in the game. The vaguely human body only two feet away, I would not have seen at all had I not been immobile and staring right at a human-shaped distortion bypassing me, and aiming at it certainly wasn't easy either. Compared to GRFS, where you can clearly see your own character in OptiCamode, in this, the chance of anyone spotting you is unlikely, even if they're looking right at you.

So, what are the best methods of detecting Recons? I say this both ways, since I've pretty much never failed cloaking and decloaking behind enemy lines.

Add in an Assault to the mix charging in with the shield while you provide cover fire and then inexplicably vanish, and you're pretty much out of anyone's mind.

How about this, what do the other abilities do to Recon when he's camouflaged?

Camo vs. Camo - Nothing
Camo vs. Oracle - Detected as a pattern.
Camo vs. Blitz - If hit, probably will fall over, will Camo fall off?
Camo vs. Heat - I assume you get CCed, but will you come out of cloak?
Camo vs. Aegis - Nothing
Camo vs. Blackout - I assume you decloak, but I don't know.

cra2yazn
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Oracle, Blackout, and Vector Detector are the best ways of spotting a cloaked recon. HEAT is hit or miss since the recon doesn't decloak for being hit with but will make them waste their energy since they can't sprint away.

Sowexly
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Blackout is underused IMO but I guess it isn't exactly easy to use too, but it sure is amazing during big fights.
You might notice it more as you play, I didn't know what to look for at first but after playing against some good recons I've picked up on some stuff.

Compassghost
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Well, Blackout can straight up counter Opticam by resetting the CD to begin with, so using it at the opener just shuts down their plans for a few minutes.

SiLeNCel2
04-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Blitz: recon will stay in cloak, good luck finding the body before he stands up. Also, the recon can cloak after being blitzed, so no - it won't drain his energy.
HEAT: you will see cloaked recons when using HEAT, but your teammates won't and you can't shoot them.

Personaly, i rely on my ears and sound hardware to find cloaked recons, since I also have a very hard time seeing them on medium graphic settings.
Fortunately, GRO has nice 3D sound and you can hear footsteps very precisely. A gun with high ROF is also helpful, just spray at the directions the footsteps come from...

Compassghost
04-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Blitzed two Recons today... meep. I think it should decloak, personally, since pretty much any other form of physical damage, such as shooting them, decloaks them.

DegenesisRein
04-29-2012, 09:03 AM
hehe, I don't know about being cloaked before the hit, but he first thing I do when I am blitz'd and knocked down is hit the cloak ****on.

So far I am 2 out of 3 on killing the blitzer that knocked me down before he realize's where I am at. Sucks to be on your back, but at least you have a good show watching the Blitz'r spin in circles looking for where he knocked you down at. Prop to Cort for pointing this out in one of his Let's Play video's.

Also heat pops you out of cloak or at least it should, anytime you take dmg your cloak is popped.

-Crow

Compassghost
04-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I hit two Recons who were cloaked. All I saw was my guy go "RAGH" and I go "What?" Can't see 'em running at full speed, and no chance of finding them either.

JPG1701
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Personaly, i rely on my ears and sound hardware to find cloaked recons, since I also have a very hard time seeing them on medium graphic settings.
Fortunately, GRO has nice 3D sound and you can hear footsteps very precisely.

I run on high graphic settings, but sound is my primary way of detecting cloaked recons. Sometimes I get real paranoid about it and look behind me if i hear something, even if its my own team.

DegenesisRein
04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Another thing I have been doing in lou of running cloak is running my recon with Oracle. Fighting on the frontlines with the rest of the assaults and spec's.

After hitting lvl8 I made the mistake of buying the Gunfire locator, and it's useful mostly, but far more useful is the Vector Detector. Vector detector has nailed my cloaked **** more times than i can count just by trying to sprint up the side.

When in doubt, empty the clip.

Compassghost
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Starting to see the cloaked Recons. Getting a lot easier now to see the body-shaped runner now that I know what I'm looking for, as long as I'm standing still.

skywarp00
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
footsteps ftw!!! fluff all the abilities hahahaha! But ya atm i just focus on hearing footsteps/movement to hunt them down!

SharathRavi
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
if the recons comes close to you to can see like a moving shape of the person, but it would do you any good if he takes you down first. And let your teammates kill him.

SinGamingZone
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
footsteps ftw!!! fluff all the abilities hahahaha! But ya atm i just focus on hearing footsteps/movement to hunt them down!

The problem is that sometimes the game is glitchy and there's no footsteps and sound when You step into cover. But You can clearly here anything else.

Annoying..