PDA

View Full Version : what raven shield misses

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 03:13 AM
i love this game and i commend the developers on a good job.. but i think it lacks a few things..

combat knife - nice and fun, and a good last resort if all ammo runs out..

better planning in multiplayer missions - eg being able to choose armour without having to get an admin.. seeing other people's kit.. so you can organise your kit to work with the others.. (not too many nades.. make sure someone has breaching charges etc)

i thought i'd start with those..

anyone else got any ideas?

keep it positive

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 03:13 AM
i love this game and i commend the developers on a good job.. but i think it lacks a few things..

combat knife - nice and fun, and a good last resort if all ammo runs out..

better planning in multiplayer missions - eg being able to choose armour without having to get an admin.. seeing other people's kit.. so you can organise your kit to work with the others.. (not too many nades.. make sure someone has breaching charges etc)

i thought i'd start with those..

anyone else got any ideas?

keep it positive

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Yeah, those are good ideas /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Although the Knife might have to come in a pack, and chances are you won't run out of ammo (Unless it's an EXTREAMLY long game...)

But I'll think of some and post them up /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center><FONT COLOR="#B8860B">[b]<font size="1">http://www.desiredfx.net/sigs/files/furiousgopher.jpg
Don't Make The Gopher Furious
Forum Gopher

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Knife = negative...

not very R6-like...considering they arent assassins or ninjas....

---------------------------------------
Games do not affect children.

I mean if pacman affected us when we were kids, we would all be running around in dark rooms munching on pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 09:52 AM
a good support team http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 01:57 PM
actually Stevelord a knife is very R6 like. In fact they used them in the book. and it is a good backup

http://webpages.charter.net/wavweb/Picture1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
What about voice communication? Could be a good improvement or not?

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 05:44 PM
they should have a add on that gives u flash light on ur gun, cause night vision makes the comp laggy, this is off topic butt... can someone teel me what a router is ???
(yes i am noob...)

mess with the best, die like the rest.

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 05:58 PM
For me:

Cooking off hand grenades.

Trip wire explosive charges. (or at least trip wire flares)

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Commando_SBS wrote:
- combat knife - nice and fun, and a good last resort
- if all ammo runs out..
-
- better planning in multiplayer missions - eg being
- able to choose armour without having to get an
- admin.. seeing other people's kit.. so you can
- organise your kit to work with the others.. (not too
- many nades.. make sure someone has breaching charges
- etc)

Excellent ideas Commando. Seeing your teammates' kits makes so much sense. I've never even thought about it before. But man....that is something that should be included in future games (not sure if UBI cares or even if they could add it to RvS.)

As for cooking off nade? Gotta disagree. This was talked about before and a soldier would never cook off a nade.

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 07:36 PM
rossd387 wrote:
- actually Stevelord a knife is very R6 like. In fact
- they used them in the book. and it is a good backup

is this the book? i wasnt referring to the book at all...

there would be no reason to have one in this game. what? no ammo? if you run out of ammo in this...start using extra mags...or start playing better.

cooking nades is only interesting suggestion i see.

armor, shooting through objects, RPGs, knives, jumping, ropes, every gun that YOU think should be included, etc.....have all been mentioned 10000 times before.

I mean if pacman affected us when we were kids, we would all be running around in dark rooms munching on pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 08:37 PM
rossd387 wrote:
- actually Stevelord a knife is very R6 like. In fact
- they used them in the book. and it is a good backup

I don't remember that. If they did have a knife it wasn't used as a weapon, it would have been used as a tool (IE not killing people with it).

A knife would be a stupid idea in a [supposed to be] realistic game.

<center>http://members.cox.net/atlantisr0x/atlantis.jpg </center>

UBI, RELEASE THE SDK!!!

-Atlantis

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Tim Noonan had his knife he used to get to the PIRA soldiers in the truck, but he pulled his pistol. If it was only one, he could easily have taken him with his knife. They all have them, but never really get to use them in controlled situations.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p1e620cd395c91d7e43083a19a0db6a20/fb058cbe.jpg

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Eur0. wrote:
- Tim Noonan had his knife he used to get to the PIRA
- soldiers in the truck, but he pulled his pistol.

Like I said, they use the knife as a tool, not a weapon.

<center>http://members.cox.net/atlantisr0x/atlantis.jpg </center>

UBI, RELEASE THE SDK!!!

-Atlantis

XyZspineZyX
12-02-2003, 10:47 PM
bbbeeeeecccaaaauuuuussssseeeee he had his pistol, and there was a racket. if they were quiet, he would have slit their throats. Knives are used for many purposes, being a tool is only one of them.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p1e620cd395c91d7e43083a19a0db6a20/fb058cbe.jpg

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 12:46 AM
No professional would have actually considered trying to slit their throats. Its far too dangerous and brings unwanted variables into the situation. What if one of them had noticed him sneaking up behind and hosed him with his AK. You would only use a knife to attack someone in a one in a million situation.

But I liked that idea on seeing what your team is carrying and the stuff on premission planning those are good ideas.

<hr>

<MARQUEE BGCOLOR="#FG0000" LOOP="infinite"
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <font size="6">[b]Any Time, Any Where, Your Pizza Will Be There /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 02:22 AM
like any of you guys are actually special forces. I'm not, but my father was, and he still keeps his knife close by. More than his colt 1911, BTW.

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Knife- No. Its VERY hard to get close enough to a tango to put the pistol close to his head let alone cut him.

Flashlight- No. There is no better way to say "I'M OVER HERE! SHOOT AT THE MOVING LIGHT!" (PS: My game also lagged with Night Vision, it works normal if you upgrade your video card. I'm running on 256 Asylum Video Card now, and it works fine)

Trip Wire- Yes.

Maybe a few more pistols, but no freaken RPGs, Flamethrowers or crap like that.

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
I think a surefire or similar tactical weapon-light would be a great addition to the gear.

perhaps when you are storming a room to rescue hostages, you would rather the terrorists divert their attention to the multiple blinding lights, than the hostage they are guarding.

the hostages are probably not wearing kevlar. while R6 could be wearing heavy armor, including ballistic face-shields, kevlar helmets, kevlar vests etc. etc.

http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&sesent=0,0&strfnbr=6&pgname=military

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 08:33 AM
yes maybe the flash light idea wasnt too good, the knife idea is good, then it would be cool if could right click and he would throw the knife or something...then u wouldnt have to get too close. there should also be a button where u could kick the door down instead of having to use breaching charges.

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Admiral_K9 wrote:
- Flashlight- No. There is no better way to say "I'M
- OVER HERE! SHOOT AT THE MOVING LIGHT!"

lol very funny there Admiral /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

This is how i see it: out in the open, flashlights are hardly useful, and definitely not desirable, as they just attract attention (and fire).

However, in close-quarter, low-light situations, such as room clearing, they are quite useful. NVGs (Night Vision Goggles) may allow an operative to 'see' in low-light conditions, but remove the ability to see colour. While there are many 'cues' which you would instinctively use when identifying threats, even the slightest hesitation could cost lives.

Also, like someone said, flashlights could have a dazzling effect on the enemy, just not as much as, say, a flashbang would.

NOTE: these are my views only. if anyone has some professional insight here, it'd be much appreciated!

-----
"The gate's unguarded."
"Maybe they all went home."

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
- As for cooking off nade? Gotta disagree. This was
- talked about before and a soldier would never cook
- off a nade.

I'm not going to go into my own experience again. You are right it was talked out before. Only one comment:

If cooking off grenades is so bad and against army policy and all, why oh WHY is it in America's Army-- The Army's official game?

Also, I was thinking about trip charges. They would totally imbalance the game, due to the many many maps with chokepoints. Just set trip charges across all the chokepoints and you would have a game that would draw every time. Also people would be complaining about not being able to jump over the trip wire.

Trip Flares would be different. They could have an effect like a flashbang, and also light up an area giving an effect that would be visible wherever there was LOS to the flare. Sort of an early warning device of sorts.

Message Edited on 12/03/0305:01PM by jrrich0000

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
um....soldiers have been and are still being taught how to cook off a grenade. thats a fact...

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 08:07 PM
SteveLord wrote:
- um....soldiers have been and are still being taught
- how to cook off a grenade. thats a fact...
-

Yah, but I get tired of arguing about it. It's in America's Army for God's sake! Would the Army put something in their 'uber-realistic' game that they don't teach-- and is supposedly so dangerous that you get court-martialed for even mentioning it (according to some I've heard-- not necessarily the guy I originally replied to)

"Logic, Watson! You see but you do not OBSERVE!"

Paraphrased quote from Sherlock Holmes

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 08:51 PM
um....soldiers have been and are still being taught
-- how to cook off a grenade. thats a fact...

what the hell does cook off a grenade mean ??

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 09:38 PM
cook off a grenade = pull the pin and release the lever, letting the fuse burn down. The advantage is that the enemy doesnt have time to run away when they see it, it just blows up in their faces.

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Eur0. wrote:
- cook off a grenade = pull the pin and release the
- lever, letting the fuse burn down. The advantage is
- that the enemy doesnt have time to run away when
- they see it, it just blows up in their faces.

Another advantage: you can air burst a frag, thus dramatically increasing its lethality.

disadvantage: cook it too long and you go home is many small envelopes.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 06:13 AM
I'll recall what I said about the flashlights. I can see how it could be of use. I had the image of running around in someplace like the Alpine Highway, and the Tango watching some moron run back and forth with a light on his gun. Provided the Alt fire would turn it on and off, It would make a fairly decent addon. (I'm more of a recon op, I dont like attention drawn to myself.)

I'll sticking with my knife = no though. If you could use it, more power to you. I personally have never gotten close enough to use a knife, so in my case, it'd be a waste on me. (I gotta admit, it'd be fun in multiplayer against the people with light Armor.) Throwing the knife I'd have to disagree with. Thats the point when the tango hiding behind the crate watches you throw a knife and leave it, then he grabs it, and makes a suicide run at you with it. Not good.

Cooking off gernades would be nice. (I havent heard that they stopped training it, last I heard, my dad was in the army, he was throwing Artilery simulators, and he had to cook them off, he pinged one off a tree, and made the thing bounce back into the trench, he dove on it. It made hime temp. blind and deaf.) Anywho, I agree with it. I hate it when you waste a gernade because the tango watch it fly in, hit them in the head, and still have enough time to run out of the blast radius.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 05:40 AM
I would love to just once be able to kick a door open I think it add a nice tempo to room clearing festivities and it could be a viable solution for the lack of a team quick order breach.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Kicking a door open puts the operative off balance and makes him vulnerable to anyone covering the door from the inside. Next?

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Not to mention, if you kick a locked door, and it doesnt break down, your operitive not only falls over, but any tango inside is now aware that your on the other side, thus giving them time to set up an ambush, or dispose of hostages.

SWS is in need of a Server. If you are interested, send me a message. Auto promotion comes with being a server.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Not to mention the fact that THAT IS WHAT BREACHING CHARGES are for. Lol, I'm done.

|OWNT|

Message Edited on 12/05/0307:03AM by Eur0.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Its funny some goot bits here.

Although I cant help but notice some people still think that because this game is multiplayer is has to be like doom or something. LOL.

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 03:58 PM
well then dont kick open locked doors...that simple.

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 07:50 PM
some thing RvS desperatley needs--
1. Better netcode (which hopefully will b provided with 1.5 patch)
2. Better team AI
3. Better weapon views (the weapon should not b on the right side, it should b down the middle cuz u have the weapon up against your shoulder and would b easier to look down the sights)
4. Iron sights
5. M3 shorty shotgun (attached 2 the bayonet lug on the M4A1, Delta operators used this during Black Hawk Down, although with CAR-15s and not M4A1s)
6. Crouching and standing support for LMGs and SRs (bipod only useful when your prone, should b able 2 use it on a ledge or windowsill when your crouching or standing)

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/414231/OICW.JPG

Soldier of the Future

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 12:05 AM
The knife thing is not that bad, i onced emptied a whole AR mag/clip whatever then my secondarey (yes i know i suck) and the guy who i was trying to kill did the same we both stood there with no ammo, and it takes a lot of time to reload, thought about using a knife then or using my AR as some sort of stick to clubber him...

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 03:43 PM
thats why u use semi-auto u get a lot better control of the weapon and kills him faster just need 2-4 bullets of any gun, but it would be cool to have a knife.

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
can someone plz tell me where the lobby is in ubi.com ?

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Just inside the front doors...lmao

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 07:39 AM
What about trip Wire FlashBangs ?

X_CaptainHowdy
02-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Here is a Tactical Survival knife i was working on for RVS but it was kinda shot Down by this guy.I dont know why it is standard R6 Gear.

http://forums.theplatoon.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24548

MD_Sennet
02-27-2004, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stikkypixie:
i onced emptied a whole AR mag/clip whatever then my secondarey (yes i know i suck) and the guy who i was trying to kill did the same we both stood there with no ammo..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhh, you can't run out of 2ndry ammo.

ZeroSniper0
02-27-2004, 03:47 PM
lol hehe, i bet he was just makin that up as an excuse to have the knife in game.

________
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/7191/seal_m4.jpg
"Of course you're afraid. Anyone who says they're not are either lying or need to see a shrink. You want to make the biggest hole possible to hide in. You'd get your spoon out and start digging if that'd help. But then your training takes over. You sight yourself up, check your pouches are closed, your pockets are done up, and your magazines are on tight..."
-Andy McNab, Bravo Two Zero

El_Scrat
02-29-2004, 05:18 AM
It would be great to have a "realistic" damages and wounds gestion. For the moment, if I shoot at the leg of a tango, he'll walk or run slower. It would be great to permanently neutralize a tango. You shoot him in the leg and falls so u can capture him alive.
Otherwise, a modelisation of blood losses would be cool too (like in Quake Urban Terror mod). If you are hit in the leg or abdomen (or a tango), you will bleed to death until you cure.
Being wounded at a upper limb should prevent you or a tango to shoot precisely.

Eur0.
02-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I think the guy was talking about running out of loaded ammo, and had to reload. He could have just taken a knife and gone at the dude. I don't think you need a knife to do that, just pistol whip him and break his neck. We need hand-to-hand more than we need a knife.

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v61/A11Eur0/Eur0rx8sig.jpg

Glock_mad
03-01-2004, 12:23 PM
A knife would be alright in the game, not really for killing though. The SAS use them for getting themselves out of traps that might have been set. i.e. nets
i think you should be able to have a scope and an extended mag. I dont know why they dont. it might be because of weight.
And there should be Glock 17's! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SoulFire382
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Of course you want glocks. Everyone wants glocks. Problem is, ubi will never give us glocks.

Ohhh! Beu-tiful! Pre-ttyy!! How do i blow it up!!?!?!?!?

U977
03-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I wish that we can use ironsights to aim (when using them you can only walk, not run)... And that if not using them, you shoot less accurate.

It's just that I love it, otherwise you might consider that the accuracy differene is already in game, and that only visuals are missing.

The realistic feel would be better with them, though.