PDA

View Full Version : [PC] My cord is broke, and I cant find a replacement

KimmyGibbler69
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
As the thread states... My cord for rocksmith is broke and i cant find a replacement...

I had the game for about 3-4 months now... However I didnt start playing it seriously until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was busy platinuming another game... But anyway, I have probably about 16-20 hours total invested in this game, and the cord took a dump on me...

I was in the middle of an event. I did it during my 2nd of 4 songs. I put the game on pause, catiously and safely put my guitar down, and put my dinner in the microwave. 3 minutes later I unpause the game, pick up my guitar, and the cord is DEAD. Plug it into a 2nd guitar. still dead.

This was last night. Today I go to walmart, game stop, toys are us, and I called up a local music store.... NOBODY has the cord... just the game/cord combo.

Amazon and the internet is the only place that I found the cord for sale. But its 30 dollars..... I have to pay 30 dollars for a cord that will die on me after 20 hours of play? I'm an oldschool guitarist. We call them cords GARBAGE. My fender and my half stack has been using the same cord for 4 years now, with no problem at all. So I know i own a quality cord. This cord that rocksmith gave us is, well for lack of a better word, garbage, and is NOT worth 30 dollars...

So I'm going to call up ubisofts customer service hotline on monday, when they open. I'm going to see if i send them my broken one, if they can replace it, free of charge. If they can NOT do this, for free, i'm going to be ALL OVER THESE forums, warning people about the bad product they are selling. I only wish they can redeem themself with good customer service. If they do I will praise them on this thread.... only time will tell

If anybody from ubisoft is reading this. I dont have my reciept, but i stil have the chord, and the box it came in. If its a 90 day warrenty, i'm slightly over it, from the purchase date, but I only been playing the game for a few weeks. Can you please help me out? or am i screwed ? please help me out, and thanks in advance... I'll be checking this forum a few times a day. but i will be calling customer service monday morning... thanks again....

Joe d. :cool::mad::cool:

Aneurysm350
03-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Lots of people run the rocksmith cord to a tuner, or pedal, and then use a standard patch cable up to your guitar, that way the rocksmith cord never moves.

C.Linton
03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Over the 90 days warranty and no receipt anyway? You're screwed. You want another cord, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and pay the 30 bucks if you want to keep playing.

MrKev1n
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Heve you tried disconnecting and reconnecting it at the break-away section (close to the usb end)?

xX Alucard
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Your cord may not be broken. A lot of people don't realize that when you leave the cord plugged into your guitar it is constantly draining your guitar's 9-Volt battery, even when your Xbox is powered off. It drains your battery fairly quickly even with normal usage, and more than likely your 9-Volt battery is dead, and not the cord. A low 9-Volt battery is also the source of a lot of "noise" or "unwanted feedback" you may hear in the game that seems to "all of a sudden" appear after awhile. It is not "all of a sudden," it's "your 9-Volt battery being drained over time."

I'd try replacing your 9-Volt battery before jumping to get a new cord. At first I replaced the cord several times, but looking back I think that the drained battery was the source of the problem. I never realized that leaving the cord in my guitar (even when my xbox was off) constantly drained it-- kinda wish you'd get warned about such things right on the cover of the RS box. I have a feeling that I wasn't alone in failing to notice this, and probably is the reason that bestbuy discontinued selling the cord-- too many people kept returning it, unaware they were draining the battery.

I'm not saying that your cord isn't broken, I'm just saying there's a higher probability that either your 9-volt battery is dead, or possibly your contact point (the circular connecting outlet on your guitar) for the RS cord is loose and/or damaged. I'd say that other things could be the problem (like your guitar volume being too low or the cable coming loose from its extension to its USB part), but you mentioned it happened in the middle of a song, so I doubt any of those could be the reason.

Hopefully your cord isn't broken though-- it's a pain to replace them now

KimmyGibbler69
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Your cord may not be broken. A lot of people don't realize that when you leave the cord plugged into your guitar it is constantly draining your guitar's 9-Volt battery, even when your Xbox is powered off. It drains your battery fairly quickly even with normal usage, and more than likely your 9-Volt battery is dead, and not the cord. A low 9-Volt battery is also the source of a lot of "noise" or "unwanted feedback" you may hear in the game that seems to "all of a sudden" appear after awhile. It is not "all of a sudden," it's "your 9-Volt battery being drained over time."

I'd try replacing your 9-Volt battery before jumping to get a new cord. At first I replaced the cord several times, but looking back I think that the drained battery was the source of the problem. I never realized that leaving the cord in my guitar (even when my xbox was off) constantly drained it-- kinda wish you'd get warned about such things right on the cover of the RS box. I have a feeling that I wasn't alone in failing to notice this, and probably is the reason that bestbuy discontinued selling the cord-- too many people kept returning it, unaware they were draining the battery.

I'm not saying that your cord isn't broken, I'm just saying there's a higher probability that either your 9-volt battery is dead, or possibly your contact point (the circular connecting outlet on your guitar) for the RS cord is loose and/or damaged. I'd say that other things could be the problem (like your guitar volume being too low or the cable coming loose from its extension to its USB part), but you mentioned it happened in the middle of a song, so I doubt any of those could be the reason.

I plugged in my 2nd guitar to the broken cord, and it still didnt work.... than, i plugged my main guitar into my real guitar amp, with my real cord, worked perfectly fine. So it must be either a broken cord, or the battery, like you mentioned... However, i have no idea what 9 volt battery your talking about lol.... I plug the guitar directly into the playstation, i dont use a tuner or anything.. figured I didnt need to. But where is this 9volt your talking about? i'm totally lost lol. Are you talking about a tuner in the middle i'm not using? seems LAME to use that. Either or, i'm going to call ubisoft and raise hell, its rediculas i bought the game for 80 bucks, and I need to buy a new cord for 30 bucks every month at this rate.

Steel_Nirvana
03-31-2012, 09:53 PM
There seems to have been a bad batch of cords that affected some people. Just some basic troubleshooting: make sure you disconnect and reconnect all three connections before trying to return. Maybe they'll be nice and replace your cord for you if the warranty is only slightly out.

On the other hand, if you decide to make good on your threat to spam the forums if you don't get your way...I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy. ;)

C.Linton
03-31-2012, 11:03 PM

The only kind of guitar that uses a battery is an active one with a built in preamp. I would be willing to bet that most here have a passive guitar that uses no battery.

The_Penguin222
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Your cord may not be broken. A lot of people don't realize that when you leave the cord plugged into your guitar it is constantly draining your guitar's 9-Volt battery,

I'm confused. What quitar uses a battery?

I'd be interested in doing an autopsy on a bad RS cable to see what the usual failure is.

awsomemax007
05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
did they replace the cord for you cause im having the same problem with my ps3 cord

fdqtjp851zx
05-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm confused. What quitar uses a battery?

Parker P44, for one.

PTrash13
05-11-2014, 01:35 PM
If they won't replace it, before you throw it away, cut of the 1/4 inch plug and solder on a new one. That's the weak link in all cables and that is where I bet the issue may be. Worth a shot at least.

jagaroth40
05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
As PTrash13 said, cut a couple of inches off and solder a new one on. Had to do it on one of my cables and I'm thinking of doing it on the other as a decent jack looks so much better.

If you want pics and a quick tutorial I'm happy to oblige.

sh1kamaru-
05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Well, basically you can just keep the ADC and remove everything above it no ? I don’t remember if we have a tutorial like this but I’m pretty sure other people did that (btw, huge props for doing a search instead of just opening yet another topic on the same matter, welcome dude !)

jagaroth40
05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
You can go back as far as the ADC but the cable itself is pretty good, just the jack that's dodgy.