PDA

View Full Version : My Final Montage For Phase 1

suprhero
03-26-2012, 07:02 AM
This is NOT what i originally intended to post. thnx for the block utube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tzr02hnnGA

JoshHardenburg
03-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Copyrights denied! lol that sucks.

Creepermoss
03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
There is a lesson to be learned here. As much as it sucks to have your video grounded, don't use copyrighted material (I'm guessing the music) in a video. You should re-upload it without the music, I like to see folks get wrecked.

logicgaming
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
There is a lesson to be learned here. As much as it sucks to have your video grounded, don't use copyrighted material (I'm guessing the music) in a video. You should re-upload it without the music, I like to see folks get wrecked.

Or you could just fill out the dispute form with youtube and paste this like everyone else:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Cuz you know,
he must be making so much money of off their music in his video.

Creepermoss
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Or you could just fill out the dispute form with youtube and paste this like everyone else:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Cuz you know,
he must be making so much money of off their music in his video.
You should probably go read the fair use act. Using copyrighted materials that you do not have permission of the copyright's holder to publicly display is copyright infringement (regardless of whether or not the person posting the video is making any form of profit), and is not protected under the fair use act. This was not enacted to protect pirates, or movie uploaders, but to protect citizens wanting to have a safe backup of their legally purchased music or video. It DOES allow you to make a hard copy of a CD, for instance, incase you lose or damage the original. It does NOT allow you to offer it to others for free, as you own a copy of someone else's protected materials, not the copyrights themselves.

The fair use act allows you to make copies of music or other materials that you have purchased, for PERSONAL USE. A publicly displayed video on the internet is not personal use, it's a publicly displayed violation of said copyright. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but forewarned is forearmed, and the fact that the company holding the copyrights is willing to forgo a lawsuit (to which they are legally entitled) in favor of asking the user to remove the video, is more than they are required to do by law. These music labels have groups of lawyers that specialize in copyright law, I'd be willing to bet they are more knowledgeable than your average youtube user.

suprhero
03-26-2012, 09:42 PM
That is the last time i go all out on a montage. im editing something else with little to no effort, thnx for the heads up, this just ******* me off. hope to be up in 1-2 hours

JoshHardenburg
03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Ya it such's but its a quick lesson. :) make sure you have the right to use a song before using it. Can't wait to see the video!

Creepermoss
03-26-2012, 10:14 PM
That is the last time i go all out on a montage. im editing something else with little to no effort, thnx for the heads up, this just ******* me off. hope to be up in 1-2 hours

SWEET! I think, out of all the vids I've seen, yours draw me in the most. I'd like to play, but watching vids is better than nothing, I suppose.

logicgaming
03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
You should probably go read the fair use act. Using copyrighted materials that you do not have permission of the copyright's holder to publicly display is copyright infringement (regardless of whether or not the person posting the video is making any form of profit), and is not protected under the fair use act. This was not enacted to protect pirates, or movie uploaders, but to protect citizens wanting to have a safe backup of their legally purchased music or video. It DOES allow you to make a hard copy of a CD, for instance, incase you lose or damage the original. It does NOT allow you to offer it to others for free, as you own a copy of someone else's protected materials, not the copyrights themselves.

The fair use act allows you to make copies of music or other materials that you have purchased, for PERSONAL USE. A publicly displayed video on the internet is not personal use, it's a publicly displayed violation of said copyright. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but forewarned is forearmed, and the fact that the company holding the copyrights is willing to forgo a lawsuit (to which they are legally entitled) in favor of asking the user to remove the video, is more than they are required to do by law. These music labels have groups of lawyers that specialize in copyright law, I'd be willing to bet they are more knowledgeable than your average youtube user.

Ok first off, you are giving youtube much more credit than they deserve,

Most likely any frag video that you upload these days will have the disclaimer notice on your video. With that being said, this is exactly what happened with OP's video:

YouTube's Content ID system automatically scans videos as they are uploaded for copyrighted material and blocks access to videos containing material which copyright owners have told YouTube to block. This system may either block access to a video entirely, or merely mute the audio, in which case the video will still be playable but with no sound. Because this system blocks all uses of copyrighted content indiscriminately, there is a high chance it will block material that is in fact "fair use" under U.S. copyright law, and you can easily get your video restored by disputing the content ID.

His audio got muted. With that said, let's take a look at the 4 factors that constitutes fair use:

Fair use is codified at Section 107 of the Copyright Act, which gives a non-exclusive set of four factors courts will consider in deciding whether a use is fair or not. These factors are

1. the purpose and character of the use,
2. the nature of the copyrighted work,
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used, and
4. the effect of the use on the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

1. The purpose and character of the use:

The OP is using it in a frag video. It's not for comercial use and he didn't cover the orginal song or altered it. Moving on.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work.

This is probably the least important part of the fair use test, and rarely makes the difference between a use being considered fair or not.

Since OP used music and not case studies, it's more likely to be taken down (see above). Next

3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used.

Not sure if OP used a whole song but it simply states that if you mashed up bits from different songs and not use the entire song, then you're gonna get away with it.

4. The effect of the use on the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Since OP did not cover or alter the song, this doesn't matter. Furthermore, OP is not trying to compete with the song's artist for money.

OP's frag video would fall under this category:

Anime music videos and film mashups ◦The video portion of such videos is very likely fair use as they only use small, highly edited portions of the original video footage. The audio portion is less likely to be fair use as these videos typically use an entire song, yet is still arguably fair use because of the non-commercial, transformative use of the song, low probability of harm to the market for the original song, and the impossibility of the average amateur video creator to license the song.

1.Go to your My Videos page.
2.Click on Content ID Matches in the left side bar.
3.Find the video you wish to dispute, and click the ****on that says View Copyright Info.
4.Scroll down to the bottom, and click the link that says I want to learn more about the dispute process.
5.Click the link on the bottom right side of the page that says Take me to the dispute form.
6.Select the second radio ****on that says, "This video uses copyrighted material in a manner that does not require approval of the copyright holder. It is a fair use under copyright law."
7.To the right of that ****on, type a brief explanation of why you think your video is fair use. When disputing content IDs for my anime music videos, I usually say something like, "This video is fair use under U.S. copyright law because it is noncommercial and transformative in nature and has no negative effect on the market for the original work."
8.Type your full name (your actual name not your YouTube username) into the signature box.
9.Copy the good faith statement into its box, stating, "I have a good faith belief that the material was disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification, and that I am not intentionally abusing this dispute process."
10.Click the continue ****on, and then say yes when it asks you to confirm.

Your video should then be automatically restored almost immediately.

I've been making frag videos for several years now, and I have never seen a company sue anyone over a song they used. They have every right to fill out a DMCA form and request that you take it down, but they never bother with small fries like online gamers. It'll cost them more money then it will cost you. With that being said, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong when I see a record label suing some kid who made a frag video.

Source: Me and my 12 years of uploading frag videos to youtube.
http://fairusetube.org/guide-to-youtube-removals

Creepermoss
03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
You clearly have more experience and info than I do when it comes to this stuff, so I will defer to your greater knowledge. This is (IMO) the best way to present any form of a counterpoint; via clearly written, well thought out words, with information and links provided.

My hat is off to you, I respect a man that proves his words respectfully. And I think it's nice of you to type up a walkthrough of how to accomplish getting the video back up. This forum needs more well informed folks such as yourself.

TheUnrest
03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
What song did he use?

chemzero
03-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Impressive... most impressive.

suprhero
03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Fixed... I guess :rolleyes:

Creepermoss
03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
This is NOT what i originally intended to post. thnx for the block utube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tzr02hnnGA

You got "tube blocked"........those dirty bastards.

logicgaming
03-29-2012, 10:17 PM
You clearly have more experience and info than I do when it comes to this stuff, so I will defer to your greater knowledge. This is (IMO) the best way to present any form of a counterpoint; via clearly written, well thought out words, with information and links provided.

My hat is off to you, I respect a man that proves his words respectfully. And I think it's nice of you to type up a walkthrough of how to accomplish getting the video back up. This forum needs more well informed folks such as yourself.

Hats off to you for not flaming me. The last time I had an intelligent and well-mannered discussion with anyone on a gaming forum was about 1 year ago.

I apoligize for my pretentious tone in earlier posts for this thread, as you can see I was gearing up my defense for a flame war. Glad that didnt happen.

V/R,
LARRY

FaLleNx_
03-30-2012, 06:24 PM
I like this CB community, its fun and reasonable to talk to..let's hope it stays that way in open beta =/

@Larry what's your YT channel? i kinda wanna see some of your frag vids =D:cool:

chemzero
03-31-2012, 12:25 AM
It's nice when everyone can just get along :D

I think the waffles help soften the atmosphere and make people more docile in general.