PDA

View Full Version : Near Perfection

paulhager
03-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Thought I’d share a couple of screen shots from patrol 5 in the latest career. As noted in a previous thread, I avoided the dreaded Tambor bug and was offered (and accepted) a Balao to replace a Gato.

All of the kills on this patrol took place over a four day period in April 1943: the 12th, 13th, and 15th. The screen shots are from an attack on the 13th.

While leaving patrol from Area 7 (the Bungo Strait) in transit to the Guam area, HQ reported a large convoy approaching that was in easy interception range. Given zig-zags, I took a guess at the base course and hoped a combination of radar, passive sonar, and luck would allow me to attack it. Two or three hours before I estimated contact was possible, the interface stuttered. I went to TCx1 and submerged. From the sonar room, a fast moving ship or ships was approaching, bearing 280. I figured this was the convoy, now going fast. That usually means fast troop transports.

Closing in at 15 knots, radar picked up a contact which resolved into a large TF, course 200°, speed 20 knots. It was just before dawn, which briefly led me to consider a surface attack. However, I was barely 1,000 yards off the track of the center column of a 3-column formation and it would be difficult to get into firing position without being spotted. Trying to track the TF from long range wasn’t practical because it was moving too fast.

I was able to reach a position 3,200 yards off the track and send a report to HQ before submerging. “Sink capital ships,” was the response.

The center column consisted of two Ise BB’s and a CL – the near column was headed by a Mogami CA. I selected 6 torpedoes for the BB and 4 for the CA. Timing was critical – I wanted the two salvos to hit their targets at as close to the same time as possible.

The next two screen shots show the result:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/paulhager/01_04-13-43_0922_AF05.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/paulhager/02_04-13-43_0922_AF05.jpg

Screen shot #1 was taken after 3 hits had been registered on the cruiser and the first torpedo had struck the battleship. If you look closely, you can see torpedo #4 from the cruiser salvo about to strike the bow. Screen #2 was taken a few seconds later. The Mogami is blowing up, the Ise has just received hit #5 - #6 would miss.

Both ships sank in short order.

It’s an attack like this that makes up for wasting an entire six torpedo salvo and being rewarded with two hours of depth charging. This attack wasn’t perfection…but it was close.

tambor198
03-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Nice shootin, paul. :cool:

Magic452
03-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Outstanding shooting Paul.
Nice screen shots as well.

We really need more similies.

Magic

MWolfe1963
03-07-2012, 01:30 AM
That's hard to time, I've tried so many times with rare success with more luck involved than anything. I will shoot at multiples trying to score hits as close as possible, but never
figured out the exact math by seconds to make it work as I would like, not even sure it can be done. My best was an attack on 8 oil tankers that were fairly close together during a course
change and I hit 3 about the same time with the explosions from those 3 blowing up the other 3.

That's some great shooting.

paulhager
03-08-2012, 02:01 AM
That's hard to time, I've tried so many times with rare success with more luck involved than anything. I will shoot at multiples trying to score hits as close as possible, but never figured out the exact math by seconds to make it work as I would like, not even sure it can be done.

There are a couple of approaches. One is to precompute everything for given angles. That's the only way to do it when playing the German because the TDC is defunct (for me anyway), as I've previously documented. For the American, the torpedo track is displayed on the tactical map along with the running time. That makes things very easy. You simply note the firing time and when you've finished the salvo, should should be able to set up target two quickly enough to actually have to wait a few seconds for salvo two.

My best was an attack on 8 oil tankers that were fairly close together during a course change and I hit 3 about the same time with the explosions from those 3 blowing up the other 3.

That's some great shooting.

Indeed. I've never heard of anything comparable. I doubt anyone can match that.