PDA

View Full Version : No more progress

finnderful
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
So, not sure if anyone else has reached this point but I think most of my progress has come to a halt. When I got Rocksmith, I got interested in really learning to play the guitar well--I had noodled for years and could play fairly well. Rocksmith got me motivated and it was amazing the confidence it gave me as I began mastering songs and making real progress (4 hours of playing each day will do that). I started reaching out to other resources such as justinguitar.com and I am now interested in actually practicing to increase my skills instead of just playing.

So there I am getting things going and then I jump back into Rocksmith and I find that I have reached my peak as to what I can accomplish. I am now at the point where I can't level songs up anymore--I have either mastered the songs that are within my skill level or I find it impossible to make progress with the tools that they give us, ie. free speed/leveler/accelerator. The only way I can learn these impossible solos/licks is to jack them down to 30% speed and work on them over and over while I gradually up the tempo. I know that I could record the screen (good luck with that because if you miss too many notes the thing resets) or sit and transcribe it somehow or some other thing, but I find that spending that time on structured practice to get my skills up is a much better investment. So now I am stuck playing the same old songs and either avoiding events or totally redoing the set lists. I am still going to play because it is a ton of fun playing a lot of the songs, but I don't think I will try learning new stuff for a while unless I buy some more DLC or the variable speed is put in place.

rcole_sooner
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
At some point, learning anything new requires a little grinding, to get over a hump. Sometimes we need a break, sometimes we just need to hunker down and do it. The hunkering down and learning guitar, is often referred to as "woodshedding" in the guitar community. It means limiting distractions and really focusing on getting to that next level. We gotta reach down to find the want to sometimes.

The other half of the equation is material. If I am not interested in the material, I am not going to find any want to. Without want to, I won't. Pretty simple.

There is a lot of material left, in RS, that I want to learn. So I got my work cut out, for me.

Steel_Nirvana
02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
As rcole_sooner says, plateaus happen. I hit one a month or so into playing that had be about to throw my guitar. Luckily for me, I had a 3-week business trip that let me calm down and just tinker on a few things at my own speed without RS mocking me from across the living room. When I came back to it, I was able to break through the wall in a couple of weeks. Now I'm mastering songs I thought I'd never be able to qualify at 90K.

One of the things I've noticed in my own learning is that if I'm banging my head against the wall on a particular section of a song, there's probably a fundamental technique I'm screwing up that's causing the impasse. I know "Angela" combo is on everybody's "boringly easy" list, but the little solo in there kicked my but.t every time. It's such a breeze otherwise, I found it really annoying, and wasted a bunch of time in the leveler and accelerator trying to "get it." Then I realized it wasn't the solo I wasn't getting, but that I was fundamentally weak on multi-finger hammer-ons. The fact that they came pretty quickly, interspersed with the double stops, just made me suck worse. So I worked on that a bit, and really concentrated on my fingering (uh, so to speak), and was able to master it. Sure, it's not "Hanger 18," but the same principles may apply. :D

That said, I would like to see Free Speed made over into everyone's wish for user-selctable speed and difficulty. That would help practicing individual techniques without fundamentally changing the core of the journey, which I quite like.

Good luck!

katts666
02-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I am having same problem but thanks to update where i can now reduce the amount of points to qualify i can now progress with game . I also have a hard time seeing what fret to play because the square is same color as string and is not hightlighted enough to distinguish until it get close to where you have to strum it

finnderful
02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I get all that, and I totally agree, but for me to "grind out" these portions, I need some way to see the solo slowly. I have even tried pausing the game to see what is going on--side note: it would be awesome if you could pan through the tab while paused. Some of the tab just goes by too quickly. I would love to just be able to focus on something and work at it until I finally got it, but they need to release the tabs or give us speed control. An extreme example is Free Bird, technically I can do everything in the solo, but good luck trying to see what is actually going on. This is just venting and regurgitating all the same requests that we have all been making, so it's nothing new =) Honestly I just can't imagine that during the design phase there wasn't a single person that said "guys, to learn this stuff, I really need to be able to slow it down and keep it slow until I am ready to move on".

rcole_sooner
02-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I feel your pain, in that regard. If I get to the point where I need that, I try 2 things. I hit pause in the leveler and work on the notes I can see. Or I go into the accelerator, and miss notes until I get it to a speed I want, which is a very painful process at times. At least with 30 lives, it is less painful than before.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to view whole sections like a sheet of tab, but I guess that is not how this game works. So I live with this game.

I have tried using online tabs, but most are so different, from RS, that it does not help much.

It is the gamer in me, that sees RS as a game, and is willing to grind it out, using the interface provided. Sometimes it frustrates me, and other times I don't think it is so bad.

Steel_Nirvana
02-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I can't speak for the devs, but I imagine the concept is RS as more of a coach than a fancy metronome to let the players do their own thing. They probably thought the accelerator would do what people are wanting: go into leveler until you can't progress, then switch to accelerator until you can do it at full speed, rinse, repeat. And if you're a coach, the first thing you'll realize is that if you don't challenge your students, they won't improve. Can you imagine a coach saying, "Okay guys, here are the plays. Work on them on your own, and I'll see you at the Super Bowl"? :D

I'm just glad I've got no desire to be the next DragonForce, and can ignore those pesky MegaDeth songs. Hopefully, they'll re-tool Free Speed in the next update, whenever that is.

Doos
02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't know how far you've progressed through each individual song, but along with the other fella's suggestion that a little time away can work wonders, might I also make a suggestion?

Play a few songs that you hate.

Not songs that you hate playing because of bends/solos etc. but songs that you don't like listening to. A song that every time you see it pop up you think 'Man.. I hate the way that song sounds..'

The reason I suggest this is because I know for *me* that the songs I don't actually like listening to usually have a bunch of bits in them where they aren't necessarily difficult, but they offer up notes/chords etc. that I don't usually play. It's almost like my ear doesn't like stuff my fingers wouldn't recognize.

For me this was kind of easy, because I actually don't like most of the music in Rocksmith. I'll play it all day long, but I would never listen to 90% of the songs offered on my own.

...and just to pull from my own experience again.

I was getting bored with the setlist and found myself in your same position, plateauing. I bought Space Oddity and had a lot of fun with it, because I love the song. Now I'm continuing to have a lot of fun with it because I can play it decently but there is still a ton of room for improvement.

Right now I'm working on making each of the chords ring as true and cleanly as possible. I have a massive problem with sloppy fingering (*ahem*) and playing a song that 1) I recognize 2) I like and 3) that I'm half way decent at playing gives me a lot of joy when I make F to C transitions cleanly etc. etc.

The F chord has always been a bane to my guitar playing existence, for whatever reason.. but now.. not so much.

Anyway, if you keep trying, you'll succeed. No matter what any one of us suggests.. you'll find something if you keep looking.

Good luck to you sir! And Happy Playing!

Bluesman95
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Like others said plateaus happen there are quite a few things to suggest to help break the plateaus.

A few things I tell students who get frustrated.

1. Switch styles of music. try playing country, classical or metal if you are stuck. It may help you focus on techniques different for a few weeks.
2. Work on strumming patterns for a week or scales trying different timing. Try iit with w reggae time signature.
3. Pick up a Bass guitar mess around with that.
4. Do a musician study lot of times when i get in a funk I will spend a month working on styles of different guitarist like George Harrison, or Hendrix, just learning their styles songwriting techniques ect.
5. Take a week off come bac with a fresh presepective.

Most important thing is keep it fun enjoy it when it gets to the point that your getting mad or not enjoying it find out where it was fun and relax and do it that for a while before grinding it out a again.

SeattleSauve
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'm close to hitting my wall too on master unlocks. I'm at 113 of 128 master unlocks on disc, and the ones that are remaining are either really complex solos (ricochet single note, star spangled banner), painfully tight solos (Sunshine of your Love), or ones where the 100k is just so tight that I'd have to grind on the songs for a while to get them (Gobble Combo, Play with Fire Single, Chimney Combo, Burnished Combo 2)...

What I'm doing is shifting my goals a bit...
1) Going back and starting to attempt 200ks on songs I've already masterred
2) Playing sections on songs I've already masterred more cleanly

Alohilo
02-17-2012, 09:44 PM
You might actually enjoy tabbing out a few songs, even ones you already know. I spent a good portion of yesterday in GP6 tabbing out Ricochet from the first solo onward to the end. That will be a whole lot easier to practice than via the game, and I actually divided up parts from each arrangement to make a single sheet that you could play almost all of it from (the ending tremelos on the single note track is the only time it uses the low E string, otherwise tuned to D on the combos). I was pleased with the result because it forced me to actually give a **** about tying in all the note lengths etc together, good practice for other guitar applications. This would have taken a small fraction of the time with pen and paper, so don't let that deter you too much. And those whirlwind legatos in solo3 (combo) are really what I wanted down on paper, that'll be fun to learn. :D

Like others have said challenging yourself is often the key to breaking through a slump. I like the idea of playing songs you normally skip over, I've got a date with Jenny O the next time I'm in a rut. Right now I have my ukulele in my hands and I actually haven't played it since I got RS. I'm loving the new guitar stuff I now know and can apply to it, it's a brand new experience for me now. Two hand tapping on a uke is weird but fun, and SSB sounds great ;)

You could also play stuff you already know with different or odd fingerings. Playing all power chords with my middle and pinky is something I do every now and then.

SeattleSauve
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
You might actually enjoy tabbing out a few songs, even ones you already know. I spent a good portion of yesterday in GP6 tabbing out Ricochet from the first solo onward to the end.

Are you going to share the ricochet tab? :)

Alohilo
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Are you going to share the ricochet tab? :)

Sure! Though I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do that would be.

RocqueFloyd
02-18-2012, 01:50 AM
My advice, play more Ducks :)

SiliconSicilian
02-18-2012, 02:23 AM
I have hit the wall multiple times since I started playing at Christmas. Take a break and come back to it. After a while, you'll hit another learning spike.

kittendaddy2
02-18-2012, 02:30 AM
I feel your pain, in that regard. If I get to the point where I need that, I try 2 things. I hit pause in the leveler and work on the notes I can see. Or I go into the accelerator, and miss notes until I get it to a speed I want, which is a very painful process at times.
Just had to echo this aside. I've started tremelo picking solos I'm working on in the accelerator so it'll be sure to register a lot of mistakes and lower speed, but this whole process feels a bit... stupid. And then I get one lucky run at low speed and it jumps me from 80% to 100% :P. Seriously, the software is clever as hell, it just needs to be a little less clever sometimes.

But as far as plateauing, I've hit that too. When I'm at that point, I try to find something that emphasizes a particular skill or just play other songs in other means. Try recording yourself and really listen to what you play - you'll find there's generally a lot of subtle things you can still improve. Are your chords clean? Are you holding notes the right length? Rocksmith doesn't penalize you for hitting wrong (extra) notes, so there may be ways to improve that have nothing to do with Rocksmith's definition of mastery, and those can be done with the tool as well.

Of course I take guitar lessons, too - it's a good idea if you can. Rocksmith is a great suppliment to instruction, but in terms of learning new techniques, a good teacher is invaluable.

SeattleSauve
02-18-2012, 02:47 AM

You really like the ducks games eh :)

If the games were structured a bit differently I'd probably play them more, but I find the delta between when the game gets challenging and when it goes nuts to be too small for me.

So I basically never play the games anymore.

Alohilo
02-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Try scale runner. After months of RS it's still my favorite, though I haven't played it all month (been working on songs mostly with my time in-game). It's a workout for each finger, you'll be surprised what you can accomplish after a 10-30min scale runner warmup before hitting the song menu. When I started on RS I was lucky to see 1mil point scores on a run, now a poor run is anything less than 14m, and anything under 13m means I just picked up the guitar for the first time that day. I'd pay 20$ or more just for that minigame ;) You can pick a scale to play that has more notes on what might be your "weaker" fingers and help get em up to speed. Power up that pinky! :D The delta you're talking about quickly disappears in that one, as it seems to reach a maximum incoming rate of notes, and once you can handle that speed it becomes a game of "try not to fall off till the end" then one of "how fast can I play all these notes and have them still register by the game?"

I often suggest the game to my friends and use that minigame as a clincher, once they play it and see the scale selection, it's "game over" for their $80 :D

fatherrock
02-18-2012, 03:51 AM

and he is right.

If you hit the mother of all walls...your at your skill limit...that is your BASICS skill limit.

Time to become stronger...lay off the songs.
Grind the mini games, and force yourself to do better on them. Why grind just them.
Same reason athletes pump iron...it takes your brain out of the equation.

Mini games don't require much thinking...just doing and it builds speed
and muscle memory. You need more of that.

Do mini games exclusively for 3 -4 days, then try the songs again.
still need more ? do it again.

Build guitar muscle.

Rock On !

SeattleSauve
02-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Try scale runner. After months of RS it's still my favorite, though I haven't played it all month (been working on songs mostly with my time in-game). It's a workout for each finger, you'll be surprised what you can accomplish after a 10-30min scale runner warmup before hitting the song menu. When I started on RS I was lucky to see 1mil point scores on a run, now a poor run is anything less than 14m, and anything under 13m means I just picked up the guitar for the first time that day. I'd pay 20$ or more just for that minigame ;) You can pick a scale to play that has more notes on what might be your "weaker" fingers and help get em up to speed. Power up that pinky! :D The delta you're talking about quickly disappears in that one, as it seems to reach a maximum incoming rate of notes, and once you can handle that speed it becomes a game of "try not to fall off till the end" then one of "how fast can I play all these notes and have them still register by the game?"

I often suggest the game to my friends and use that minigame as a clincher, once they play it and see the scale selection, it's "game over" for their $80 :D

Yeah, scale runner is my favorite out of the games, though I find it hard to read the interface - I think they could have done something that used the normal rocksmith interface for this one somehow...I can usually get somewhere between 7-8MM on a scale, but didn't get it to the point where I was getting 14MM. Maybe I should go in and play it a bit more.

rchiav
02-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Sure! Though I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do that would be.

The biggest tab site (at least to my knowledge) is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ My suggestion would be to post it there and then link to it from here.

Alohilo
02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
It takes awhile to get used to the scale runner display, at higher nps you'll end up watching the back of the screen and playing notes right as they appear.

I thought about UG but I think I can find a better export option that will let me post straight into a thread. Wish I didn't work today, I could get it to you guys sooner.