PDA

View Full Version : Rocksmith Sales - Are they sufficiently good that we can expect Rocksmith 2 next year

KinchBlade
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi all
I saw an interesting stat from fatherRock in another thread:
"... By week 10 they sold 280,733 Xbox 204,738 PS3 Gross Retail 37 mil. After all expenses, stores cut, ect. they prob profit is 30% so about 11 mil ..."

Are they decent numbers? Is Rocksmith a success? Not just within its almost microscopically narrow ganre but in general terms (I know its no Skyrim or wahtever but...)?

I suppose what I'm really asking ( as per the title) is : is it doing well enough that we might expect to see further development* after the imminent mega-patch or even a Rocksmith 2

* I'm assuming they'll keep their word and release a PC version at some point

Kinch

lizardkng71
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I certainly hope so. Take the lessons theyve learned and make a better product. (not that Im complaining about the product we have...)

supotco
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think so though. So far they have probably sold around 700k. I don't think that is enough for them to make another one. I just hope they keep supporting this one at least.

Plus I wouldn't want another one, I think the current one is fine and just needs to improve the UI a little. Other than that we would only be getting more songs ans that can be done through DLC.

Bluesman25
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
There sales would be much better if they advertised a bit. It seems like they're relying mostly on word of mouth. Almost everyone I've talked to never heard of the game before I mentioned it to them (including a lot of guitar players as well). I'm thinking that once they get some of the issues solved, they will advertise a bit more. I'm sure that there will eventually be a Rocksmith 2, if they come up with enough significant changes. There is so much that they could do with this game.

exolstice
01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
There sales would be much better if they advertised a bit. It seems like they're relying mostly on word of mouth. Almost everyone I've talked to never heard of the game before I mentioned it to them (including a lot of guitar players as well). I'm thinking that once they get some of the issues solved, they will advertise a bit more. I'm sure that there will eventually be a Rocksmith 2, if they come up with enough significant changes. There is so much that they could do with this game.

They had full page ads in most guitar magazines and banners on a lot of websites... I even saw a TV spot for it. What more do you want? Billboards? Skywriting?

Bluesman25
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
They had full page ads in most guitar magazines and banners on a lot of websites... I even saw a TV spot for it. What more do you want? Billboards? Skywriting?

Fair enough. I haven't seen any of it though (But I don't watch TV and haven't bought a new guitar magazine in years). I guess that I figured if they were advertising I'd at least find a few people that I know who have heard of it.

smedford
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Now that the technology is available and the groundwork is laid, I am sure this is not the last of this type of game. Someone will make one.

smooth52
01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I tell everyone i can I heard about RS from TV. My wifes boss starts lessons this week and she told him about RS.

KilaRoach
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
These sales are actually very good when you consider ALL the facts.

The PS3 sales were heavily affected by the bugs. After the first couple weeks PS3 sales were about half the XBOX sales.

These numbers only reflect sales in America. No European sales and No Asian sales. With Euro and Asia added in, these numbers would likely be double.

These numbers do not include any PC sales. The PC sales would likely add another 50% to the total.

So once they get the bugs ironed out and solve the legal issues in Europe and Asia we should see a significant jump in sales.

We WILL see a follow up to this game and I expect other devdelopers to create their own veersions of this software. Maybe not as games but as instructional systems.

fatherrock
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Now here is the interesting thing

GH and rockband had big opening numbers then trailed off quickly

Rocksmith opening numbers were not huge...however, they didn't have a big drop after...sales are pretty steady
In business that usually means that advertising was lacking but word of mouth is good.

So, if sales stay steady...they will catch upto some of the GH versions...and make enuff profit to justify a Rocksmith 2.
I don't see it happening in 1 year after launch...but very well could be year 2 after launch.

Rock On!

bradiam
01-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I think what will be the thing that makes or breaks RS will be the DLC selection. There's obviously some good press going around and loads of interest. Now, if they can pull just one or two bands that declined to have their songs on RB and GH, that will help a lot. There's quite a few bands out there that didn't want their songs played on a plastic guitar or seen as a novelty, so they haven't licensed much. I think RS stands a good chance at pulling these bands in once it gets a bit more exposure and they see that this is a genuine music game, and not some gimmicky game with a peripheral controller that is little more than a toy.

The release is just getting the name out so they can market it to bands/record labels. Once that starts taking off, it's going to get really good.

Dasher3
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Now that the technology is available and the groundwork is laid, I am sure this is not the last of this type of game. Someone will make one.
When the PC version didn't come out I started looking around and found iPad apps. RockProdigy/GuitarProdigy (one of them is the Megadeath version) isn't really a game, but it lets you plug in your guitar and learn songs with the scrolling tab. You can slow down and loop to help learn. When you hit the correct note, you get the full backing track. When you mess up it's just you.

steel_string
01-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, sales seem to be unexpectedly strong, and it was hard to find a copy when I bought mine. Rock Band 3 sold around 1.1 million on the 360 and PS3 according to vgchartz, with RS selling 630k and still apparently having difficulty keeping stores stocked.

I'm not sure we'll see a sequel any time soon, though. The non-US releases and PC version won't be out for a while yet, and it might make more sense to sell DLC add-ons and lock customers into the existing platform than start over with a new release. One of the biggest mistakes made with the Guitar Hero franchise was the decision to sell a whole new game over and over. That left customers with no reason not to switch to a rival like Rock Band, since they had no long term investment in the GH franchise.

The one thing that argues for a Rocksmith 2 is that things seem on track for the XBox Whatever and PlayStation 4 around Christmas 2013. If they're going to be doing new releases on those platforms that year, anyway, it might make sense to just call it a sequel.

lizardkng71
01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I was in the local gamestop the other day looking for a second RS cable (they dont stock it, and you cant get it on their website, but Amazon has them in stock right now, they were on 3 week backorder just the other day), and noted that there werent any RS anywhere...so I asked, "You guys dont carry Rocksmith?", and the guy said "Oh no, we carry it, we just sell out of it as soon as we put it in the shelves." And this is in a small town in the middle of nowhere, with 3-4 other EBGames type stores nearby...which means theyre probably all selling out, all the time.

That was reassuring. :)

KinchBlade
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
That's very interesting, all the anecdoaal evidence in this thread sounds like its selling really well. My own view is that a PC version will sell very well as will the European version (where I am) particulalrly if the patch resolves many of the issues that are casuing negative word of mouth (As asn aside the lack of communication on what's in the patch will probably lead to a serious backlash when it isn't a global panacea for all functional wishlists - it better be good!)
I also believe that, if the numbers hold up that there will be a rocksmith 2 if only because it allows them to implement many of the good suggestions on here and elsewhere and therefore get better reviews. This gives them a new chance to sell to existing customers ( I will buy it without hesitation) and to sell to new customers who read the new reviews. At that point there will also be x months of dlc to sweeten the deal to for new customers.
Overall I'm pleased to hear that sales are good, I would hate this remarkable new toy to wither away from neglect

i3oosted
01-16-2012, 11:35 PM

I've never heard of it until some random post on a guitar forum. Then I did more research and found out it was getting really good reviews. I just bought it and I'm waiting for it to come from Amazon. I have heard ZERO from TV, mags, or websites. If they did all that, they need to revamp their marketing department, cause it sucks.

nyrang
01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Well according to vgchartz, in the USA RS sold 280k on xbox360 in its first 10 weeks. By comparison, Rock Band 3 sold 340k in the same time frame. The proportions on PS3 are very similar.

Honestly, I don't think RS could do any better. RB3 was a well established franchise and, with millions of plastic guitars and drums around (and widespread sales on controllers...) it was a much more affordable purchase for most people. Besides, even now sales are still holding up well.

I don't know if this is enough to justify a sequel, and DLC sales figures should also be checked in order to get the full picture. But again, if the game will turn out as unprofitable at the end of its life span, then it was probably a bad idea right from the start.

Evil_Pervert
01-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm gonna be honest I herd about power gig (I think that's the name) the commercials about the fat Guy on one leg got me interested. Then saw reviews and saw it was bad. Then I learned about rocksmith and saw great things. So ya I saw advertising for "rocksmith" from "powergig"

KinchBlade
01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
But again, if the game will turn out as unprofitable at the end of its life span, then it was probably a bad idea right from the start.

I'm not sure I agree it was a bad idea - in fact most of us are on here becasue we think its a great idea :-)
I suspect however that what it would mean is that there be no other repalcement coming after it for some time since this game had the advantage of the gametank hardware and initial research etc etc. and was still a "failure" (speaking hypothetically here of course) (although I found this the other day and looks intriguing, must download the demo... http://offbeatforum.com/jamorigin/#/OFFBEAT)

How much techology is in the rocksmith lead really? Is it just a bog standard 1/4" to usb. If so there is no real physical tech barrier to entry fo rsome other firm. If so then what were Gametank doing for so long to make it I wonder. But sticking to the point (I do wander a bit) if its basic hardware then the software can be replicated by some other firm leveraging the existing cable. I'd imagine anither vendor would want their pound of flesh selling a differnt cable though - thus was it ever.

Bluesman25
01-17-2012, 03:45 AM
I don't understand all the comparisons to Rockband or guitar hero. Rocksmith teaches you to play guitar, while the others you "pretend" to play guitar. This is a learning tool as well as a game. The others are only games. Even with the issues this game has, I would pay $300 for it without hesitation. If it stopped working today, I've gotten more then $300 worth of entertainment & skill improvement out of it. They should make a more powerfull edition of it geared towards existing guitar players and those serious about learning the instrument. They could easily charge more for it if done right.

supotco
01-17-2012, 03:53 AM
These sales are actually very good when you consider ALL the facts.

The PS3 sales were heavily affected by the bugs. After the first couple weeks PS3 sales were about half the XBOX sales.

These numbers only reflect sales in America. No European sales and No Asian sales. With Euro and Asia added in, these numbers would likely be double.

These numbers do not include any PC sales. The PC sales would likely add another 50% to the total.

So once they get the bugs ironed out and solve the legal issues in Europe and Asia we should see a significant jump in sales.

We WILL see a follow up to this game and I expect other devdelopers to create their own veersions of this software. Maybe not as games but as instructional systems.

The PS3 and xbox sales are similar and there are no euro or asian versions, just US

josephbloseph
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
I would be interested in a quick sequel to add some fixes and improvements, especially if it supported bass, as it would be good enough reason for me to buy another cable. Or another peripheral I would be interested in would be a footswitch or pedal to do some basic navigating, so I don't need to go to a 360 controller on a nearby table between songs. There have been some good lessons learned, particularly about having different features accessible at different times, like wanting the full tuner as an option when starting a song or set rather than the "close enough" strumthrough, the lessons and repeaters not having a "lives" system of kicking you out, and information at different levels of the chord book. I'd suggest other features like using kinect to record video and have the option to upload things like that to youtube, but additional load probably wouldn't help potential lag issues.
Of course, for all of this, I can probably wait for the next generation of consoles, which is probably soon enough to wait for a potential sequel.

Marauder359
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I would be interested in a quick sequel to add some fixes and improvements, especially if it supported bass, as it would be good enough reason for me to buy another cable. Or another peripheral I would be interested in would be a footswitch or pedal to do some basic navigating, so I don't need to go to a 360 controller on a nearby table between songs. There have been some good lessons learned, particularly about having different features accessible at different times, like wanting the full tuner as an option when starting a song or set rather than the "close enough" strumthrough, the lessons and repeaters not having a "lives" system of kicking you out, and information at different levels of the chord book. I'd suggest other features like using kinect to record video and have the option to upload things like that to youtube, but additional load probably wouldn't help potential lag issues.
Of course, for all of this, I can probably wait for the next generation of consoles, which is probably soon enough to wait for a potential sequel.

I think you'll get most of your wishes sooner than a sequel... the patch will hopefully take care of a number of the things you just mentioned. They also have said that they're considering adding bass to this game... so I'm still holding out hope that this game will still grow some from what it is now.

bradiam
01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
correction. They said Bass support IS coming to the game. I believe they mentioned somewhere around spring/summer 2012, but I could be mistaken on that so don't quote me. I do know that it will be sooner rather than later.

Marauder359
01-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Hadn't heard or read the confirmation, but if that's true, that's awesome! I just hope they don't try to sell the bass parts as add-ons like pro-mode in RB3... all of it for free (ie included in the price of the DLC), or none of it at all. If they do this, they'll make their money on bass players buying the game and the dlc, hopefully.

rcole_sooner
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Bass would be cool. I could dust off my old bass and start on a whole new set of finger blisters.

josephbloseph
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the bass stuff; I'm fairly new to this game, and even newer to these forums. I play a lot of Forza and keep pretty on top of news and updates for that game, but I guess I'll start keeping up with this one as well. I called my brother last night, and when I mentioned that I was playing this game, he wanted to know how it was (great), and if it supports bass. I know a bunch of the other things I mentioned would be easy enough to fix or update, but knowing software, even after they fix it in this game, it will still look/work better in the next version of the game. I'm with you Maurauder; I hope the Bass portions will be included in the DLC, or at least included in an all-encompassing "Bass pass" sort of thing if they can't "give away" the bass sections to the songs on the disc.

sratocat
01-18-2012, 12:41 AM
PC means pirated and am sure they will kill it if not for that very reason.
To me there is a big difference in playing a plastic guitar and a real one and I have never played RB or the likes. The real one is and will always be harder due to the fact that you have to go to school and learn how to hit the notes clean and pure without cheating or learning bad habits, I'm talking self taught or professionally schooled. Plus there are growing pains involved physically and mentally and it takes years of repetitive practice if you want to do it right. A real guitar game sounds good to the average JSP who never played, but all in all the air guitar will always win over the majority of the masses that's just my opinion. What they really need to do is go international with this game. Region coding to me is just plain stupid as far as sales are concerned. Not everybody can just pick up a real guitar and play it like Jimmy Page as we would all like to, and I think RB can get you pretty close to that in a alternative way of playing, just not using a real guitar.

How many people have bought this game thinking they will play like Jimmy Page in a matter of months only to learn the disappointing reality that playing a real guitar is just too hard!
Yea I've seen the youtube crap but anybody can say I learned to play within a matter of months after all it is the the internet! To me this game will test even the most seasoned vets due to the fact that the GUI is complicated in itself....

SynGamer
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I think a sequel on current gen consoles makes the most sense. Larger install base and cheaper to develop for, compared to creating a new engine for the new consoles.

JondThompson
01-18-2012, 05:53 PM
How much techology is in the rocksmith lead really? Is it just a bog standard 1/4" to usb. If so there is no real physical tech barrier to entry fo rsome other firm. If so then what were Gametank doing for so long to make it I wonder. But sticking to the point (I do wander a bit) if its basic hardware then the software can be replicated by some other firm leveraging the existing cable. I'd imagine anither vendor would want their pound of flesh selling a differnt cable though - thus was it ever.

It would have been a bad idea to do anything else. Putting any sort of processing into the cable itself would have added complexity, which in turns adds cost and power requirements. Think $50 cable. Instead they made a 1/4" to USB adapter, then processed the input in the CPU/GPU, which takes considerable development. They're on record to say that an electric guitar is a very noisy audio source, which is absolutely true. Just think of the variability due to pickups. Are you on a single neck pickup, single bridge pickup, dual pickups, acoustic pickup? All of these generate different tones, but RS doesn't care. Now let's add different string types. Oh, a different bridge? No problem.

RockSmith handles it all. That's a lot of programming, as you aren't even configuring which type it is.

In short, there isn't a lot of tech in the lead. However, there is a LOT of tech in the application itself.

KinchBlade
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
In short, there isn't a lot of tech in the lead. However, there is a LOT of tech in the application itself.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I still find the whole thing one level below miraculous. Hats off to the team that built it.

bradiam
01-18-2012, 06:40 PM
It would have been a bad idea to do anything else. Putting any sort of processing into the cable itself would have added complexity, which in turns adds cost and power requirements. Think $50 cable. Instead they made a 1/4" to USB adapter, then processed the input in the CPU/GPU, which takes considerable development. They're on record to say that an electric guitar is a very noisy audio source, which is absolutely true. Just think of the variability due to pickups. Are you on a single neck pickup, single bridge pickup, dual pickups, acoustic pickup? All of these generate different tones, but RS doesn't care. Now let's add different string types. Oh, a different bridge? No problem.

RockSmith handles it all. That's a lot of programming, as you aren't even configuring which type it is.

In short, there isn't a lot of tech in the lead. However, there is a LOT of tech in the application itself.

Actually, they have said many times that the cable itself handles the analog to digital conversion, and is a proprietary cable. You can't just use any 1/4 inch to USB cable with rocksmith. In fact if you plug this cable into your computer it is recognized as "Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter" as it installs the drivers, so there is tech development in there if the computer can recognize this particular cable over the others available.

There is a good deal of tech in the cable itself, and it handles the signal conversions. The software just interprets the digital signals it is fed from the cable. That's still a great achievement, but requires significantly fewer resources than if the software also had to handle ADC.

Evil_Pervert
01-18-2012, 08:48 PM
There wont be a rocksmith 2 or even 1 anymore "SOPA" cancelled it. We are all doomed.

steel_string
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Actually, they have said many times that the cable itself handles the analog to digital conversion, and is a proprietary cable. You can't just use any 1/4 inch to USB cable with rocksmith. In fact if you plug this cable into your computer it is recognized as "Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter" as it installs the drivers, so there is tech development in there if the computer can recognize this particular cable over the others available.

There is a good deal of tech in the cable itself, and it handles the signal conversions. The software just interprets the digital signals it is fed from the cable. That's still a great achievement, but requires significantly fewer resources than if the software also had to handle ADC.

Every USB device reports its name to the computer on connection. It's just an ADC and a USB controller, so it's not a terribly complex device. The real work is done on the console, where the signal is analyzed.

That said, it's nice to see such a cheap digital interface on the market. My Line 6 Pod Studio cost me $50 used (which is still a nice deal for recording, since it includes Pod Farm). I just wish Rocksmith would recognize and use some of the common interfaces, like the Pod Studio and FastTrak.