PDA

View Full Version : *Checkpoints not saving, Read and post here*

KryptoNyteLives
04-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Please followup with a confirmation if you have had similar issues. Please NOTE BEFORE READING, this is NOT an issue of selecting the level for checkpoint locations to appear. This is an issue of BOTH level AND checkpoint lists being completely empty, or the latest checkpoint saves being absent.

When moving from one level to the next, you will see the "Saving Game" message come up on the screen, however, if you 'escape' out you will find that both the "Level" listing and "Checkpoint" listing is completely empty and your game is NOT actually saving. The issue stands for some of us using Geforce cards and attempting to run the game in OpenGL (based on the others having similar problems here in this forum)

When I first ran Far Cry, there were many graphics glitches when using Direct3D9, so coming to this forum I found the config file fix to run the game in OpenGL. I tried it and saw better performance and fewer glitches, still not perfect, but far better.

When I first started seeing the issue of checkpoints NOT saving even though the game said they did, I shared the savegame directory on my home network allowing me to monitor that directory from another computer. In Direct3D9, with all its glitches, I was watching a savegame file created EVERY TIME the screen said it did. In OpenGL, upon moving to a new level, the game would no longer create the savegame file, even though it said it did.

Sending a report to UBI support, I received the canned email response with explicit instructions on defraging the hard disk, installing the latest video driver, you know, the stuff that every hardcore gamer already knows.

So I think back to my last Nvidia driver install. Every time I Uninstall my old Nvidia driver, reboot, and install the new one, all my desktop icons are all smacked up in the 800x600 area due to the typical screen resolution change. So the last time I upgraded my Nvidia driver, I just installed over top of the old one without uninstalling the old one. That turned out to be a big mistake, AND the primary reason why I was getting so many graphics glitches in Direct3D9. By uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia driver, I was able to resolve almost all Direct3D9 issues, and the game works well.

The issue of OpenGL games not saving still stands, perhaps this could be fixed. Please post here if you are having similar problems.

On a sidenote, I was reasonably ticked off at the "canned" email that I received from UBI support. In hindsight, however, I see that it prompted me to just think about each one of the issues in and orderly fashion, so I have to give a quick "thank you" for that one.

[This message was edited by KryptoNyteLives on Sat April 03 2004 at 09:13 AM.]

KryptoNyteLives
04-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Please followup with a confirmation if you have had similar issues. Please NOTE BEFORE READING, this is NOT an issue of selecting the level for checkpoint locations to appear. This is an issue of BOTH level AND checkpoint lists being completely empty, or the latest checkpoint saves being absent.

When moving from one level to the next, you will see the "Saving Game" message come up on the screen, however, if you 'escape' out you will find that both the "Level" listing and "Checkpoint" listing is completely empty and your game is NOT actually saving. The issue stands for some of us using Geforce cards and attempting to run the game in OpenGL (based on the others having similar problems here in this forum)

When I first ran Far Cry, there were many graphics glitches when using Direct3D9, so coming to this forum I found the config file fix to run the game in OpenGL. I tried it and saw better performance and fewer glitches, still not perfect, but far better.

When I first started seeing the issue of checkpoints NOT saving even though the game said they did, I shared the savegame directory on my home network allowing me to monitor that directory from another computer. In Direct3D9, with all its glitches, I was watching a savegame file created EVERY TIME the screen said it did. In OpenGL, upon moving to a new level, the game would no longer create the savegame file, even though it said it did.

Sending a report to UBI support, I received the canned email response with explicit instructions on defraging the hard disk, installing the latest video driver, you know, the stuff that every hardcore gamer already knows.

So I think back to my last Nvidia driver install. Every time I Uninstall my old Nvidia driver, reboot, and install the new one, all my desktop icons are all smacked up in the 800x600 area due to the typical screen resolution change. So the last time I upgraded my Nvidia driver, I just installed over top of the old one without uninstalling the old one. That turned out to be a big mistake, AND the primary reason why I was getting so many graphics glitches in Direct3D9. By uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia driver, I was able to resolve almost all Direct3D9 issues, and the game works well.

The issue of OpenGL games not saving still stands, perhaps this could be fixed. Please post here if you are having similar problems.

On a sidenote, I was reasonably ticked off at the "canned" email that I received from UBI support. In hindsight, however, I see that it prompted me to just think about each one of the issues in and orderly fashion, so I have to give a quick "thank you" for that one.

[This message was edited by KryptoNyteLives on Sat April 03 2004 at 09:13 AM.]

trayder
04-03-2004, 12:11 PM
"The issue of OpenGL games not saving still stands, perhaps this could be fixed. Please post here if you are having similar problems."

Im having the same problem. Game is not beeing saved when playing single mod

KryptoNyteLives
04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
You gotta be kidding me - no one else is seeing this issue in OpenGL?

Ryjor
04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
I have this issue too. It only happens on some levels and only in openGL. The quicksave/load didnt even work.

I was able to fix it a few times by messing with settings. If my advanced settings were higher than what the games autodetect set the general setting to, then it messed up. This only sometimes fixed the problem though.

But this never happens in d3d9. Performance on my ti4200 is crap in d3d9 though. But I got huge graphical problems in openGL along with the saving issue.

MehoKrljic
04-07-2004, 02:27 AM
Bad news, boyos, I am playing (or trying to play it) on ATI Radeon 9600 and, with autodetect settings, I'd get freezes (critical exception error) at several spots. So I set all the settings manually to minimum and the game seemed to run fine until i tried to eneter the buggy in the first level. The freeze hits me there again. And, my HDD is freshly formatted, I have the latest drivers etc...

Anyway, I get the same problem with missing savegames as well, and I am NOT playing with OpenGL, but with D3D.

Man, it's real funny how many performance problems this game has. Another six months in the development wouldn't have hurt it...

darklighter2a
04-07-2004, 06:58 PM
I too had this problem last night, however I am not running in OpenGL mode. I am running the game using DX9. I ran through the level to get the nightvision/heat sensing goggles and lost all level and checkpoint info. However, once I quit the game and launched it again I had the first checkpoint.

ify1
04-07-2004, 07:27 PM
I know this is waaaay off-topic but when I saw KryptoNyteLives say this it made me think of something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> all my desktop icons are all smacked up in the 800x600 area due to the typical screen resolution change. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a program called Restore Desktop, which is designed to solve the very problem you mentioned with icons being moved around during screen resolution changes. It'll handle screen resolution changes automatically or you can right click on your desktop and save/reload icon positions manually (I've had the game crash and the manual option was the way to go). I saw it on TechTV and must say it works a treat! I know this has absolutely nothing to do with game performance but I thought it might help with the icon thing.

Restore Desktop (http://www.softwarium.com/rdwin.html)

Sorry I don't have a solution for the disappearing save game problem. I did lose all my saves when I manually switched to and back from OpenGL ... but I just played through the game again. Hardly a solution, I know.

Ify