PDA

View Full Version : Where is that SUN ANTI ALIASING correction post?!?!

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I can't find it!

Viper_42
03-31-2005, 01:59 AM
if there is a fix I would like to know it as well.

vodkamike
03-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Do you mean the one talking about using Shift+PgUp and PgDwn for adjusting antialiasing?

Nin-Urta
03-31-2005, 05:38 AM
The software AA also distorts my sun-glare... now I use neither.

Antrodemus
03-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Yeah, this so-called "software anti-aliasing" is little more than a soft-focus, or "bloom" effect, which may look OK in Deus Ex 2 or Prince of Persia 2, but it makes SHIII look like a nicey-wicey, fluffy postcard scene. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's a real swine tho' - enabling (real) anti-aliasing makes everything (except the Sun) look great, but the Sun looks like cr@p, whereas disabling it makes the Sun & surrounding atmosphere look fantastic, but leaves you with 1999-stylee jaggy-vision everywhere else... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

A.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-31-2005, 07:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antrodemus:
enabling (real) anti-aliasing makes everything (except the Sun) look great, but the Sun looks like cr@p, whereas disabling it makes the Sun & surrounding atmosphere look fantastic, but leaves you with 1999-stylee jaggy-vision everywhere else... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, if only we had the ability to set the resolution to 1600x1200, this wouldn't be such a big issue.

LOL. I guess the whole 1024x768 discussion is coming back to haunt all those people who said that 1024x768 would be fine with anti-aliasing.

Seriously though, will the developers be able to fix this?

AloNkap
03-31-2005, 08:16 AM
I have a problem with that too.. The sun looks really weird, like a light ball.. where is the glare effect? where is the beauty of it? all I see is a little white ball that has bad textures.. :P

Charlie901
03-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Anti-Alaising, Asiotropic Filtering and "Bloom" effect are three different options.

You can run AA and AF independant of the games "Bloom" effect.

To turn up the "Bloom" just press "Shift-PageUP" to adjust upward and "Shift-PageDown" to adjust downward.

I prefer a slight "Bloom" effect myself, cause it really gives you that nice sun glare.

To test "Bloom" level just adjust while looking at the sun.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
That bloom effect merely blurs the entire image slightly. I find the results are immediately obvious and distracting. If you turn up anti-aliasing and bloom, you get an out-of-focus image, and I'm not at all sure that it fixes the sun problem anyway.

Frederf220
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
The second you use any bloom at all the sun goes from it's lovely glarey self to a yellow disk.

Unfortunately I'm not using bloom at all and the SUN IS A YELLOW DISK.

I'm on AF App controlled (what setting does SHIII use for AF when I do app controlled?

I'm on AA 8xS manual.

I'm on bloom off.

Wolftooth
03-31-2005, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlie901:
You can run AA and AF independant of the games "Bloom" effect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't. As soon as I turn Bloom on, AA goes pear-shaped (as far as I can tell, this is because it switches from hardware AA to software AA, and, for some reason, software AA doesn't work very well). However, if I turn Bloom off entirely, the sun is just a plain circle in the sky with no glare effect.

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-31-2005, 06:19 PM
So let me get this straight, if I leave AA on, I will have sundisk as I do now but everything else looks good.

If I shut off AA, then my sun will look right but I will have LAG? and all else will be ugly?

Thats putting aside the bloom page up down trick, yes?

Pr0metheus 1962
03-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Well I'm now completely happy. I just got a Radeon X800 All-In-Wonder card (replacing my old GEforce Ti4200) and upgraded my RAM to 1.5Gigs, and now I have no framerate issues at all, even when close-up to explosions; I also have no UZO spray bug, and I can turn anti-aliasing way up and the sun still looks perfect. This game really works best with a Radeon X800.

So if you have the cash, get a Radeon - the difference is amazing.

TASKFORCE1x1
04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 7 2004.