PDA

View Full Version : Ubi - Get with the game plan!

D aniel
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Dear Ubi -

It is with great pleasure I write to let you know how much I enjoy my high-end computer crashing every 10 minutes. The sheer joy of sitting through 20 minutes of immobility only to find that I have encountered a Call Stack Level 14 error that cant be copied or pasted - but you would like to have a copy of.

Never before have I had such an honor as the ones I get when I play Uru on your servers. The ectasy when I jump from the stone pillar in Gahreeshan to be stuck in lag for 5 minutes only to fall to my relto. (if I dont crash trying to get out).

Let us not forget the awsome times we've had when you lock my entire machine up for ages on end with my only recourse is to hit the BIg Red Button and hope I dont corrupt any important system files I may need for the OTHER things I do with my system.

I can only say that the GREAT art work and sound that Cyan has spent the past 5 laborious years on is so choppy that only a crack junkie would enjoy it. But since drugs are illegal, you seem to enjoy sharing that experience with the entire population - for that I want to thank you.

When you do start charging money for the NON-beta version I will be more than happy to send my 30 cents a day in to you (even though it will cost me $0.37 to mail each check). But like the game play, so too will be my payment - in unexpected choppy packets. Oh, the choppy package I send will have 1 check per penny made out to different authorized employees for your collective. In the event you are unable to assemble all the packets into one lump sum, please let me know via my electronic service. I will forward you my web address where you can request a different payment method that will be answered by an automated process. I can assure you, you will receive a response.

Now, as for your wonderful website with broken links in the main menu and frequent forum outages. I can be rest assured that after writing an informatative message to all my fellow players that when I submit I can usually expect to be informed that there was an error, with no recovery in my browser information to try again. Im sure all the member here enjoy it as much as I do, else we wouldn't be here now would we?

Oh, lest I forget. I deeply appreciate you spending almost all your resources on putting new game areas up instead of fixing what is already there. Such a great leap in wasting precious resources as developers is indeed a skill only the best companies can afford.

Sincerely - a 10 year Cyan Fan

D aniel
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Dear Ubi -

It is with great pleasure I write to let you know how much I enjoy my high-end computer crashing every 10 minutes. The sheer joy of sitting through 20 minutes of immobility only to find that I have encountered a Call Stack Level 14 error that cant be copied or pasted - but you would like to have a copy of.

Never before have I had such an honor as the ones I get when I play Uru on your servers. The ectasy when I jump from the stone pillar in Gahreeshan to be stuck in lag for 5 minutes only to fall to my relto. (if I dont crash trying to get out).

Let us not forget the awsome times we've had when you lock my entire machine up for ages on end with my only recourse is to hit the BIg Red Button and hope I dont corrupt any important system files I may need for the OTHER things I do with my system.

I can only say that the GREAT art work and sound that Cyan has spent the past 5 laborious years on is so choppy that only a crack junkie would enjoy it. But since drugs are illegal, you seem to enjoy sharing that experience with the entire population - for that I want to thank you.

When you do start charging money for the NON-beta version I will be more than happy to send my 30 cents a day in to you (even though it will cost me $0.37 to mail each check). But like the game play, so too will be my payment - in unexpected choppy packets. Oh, the choppy package I send will have 1 check per penny made out to different authorized employees for your collective. In the event you are unable to assemble all the packets into one lump sum, please let me know via my electronic service. I will forward you my web address where you can request a different payment method that will be answered by an automated process. I can assure you, you will receive a response.

Now, as for your wonderful website with broken links in the main menu and frequent forum outages. I can be rest assured that after writing an informatative message to all my fellow players that when I submit I can usually expect to be informed that there was an error, with no recovery in my browser information to try again. Im sure all the member here enjoy it as much as I do, else we wouldn't be here now would we?

Oh, lest I forget. I deeply appreciate you spending almost all your resources on putting new game areas up instead of fixing what is already there. Such a great leap in wasting precious resources as developers is indeed a skill only the best companies can afford.

Sincerely - a 10 year Cyan Fan

timd_jones
01-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Brilliant, biting sarcasm. I only hope that it will not fall on deaf ears.

However, someone please correct if I am wrong, aren't the ages in URU Prime, Gahreesen included, loaded and played directly from your hard drive and not Ubi's servers?

In game avatar name: Muntz

BacardiJim
01-26-2004, 10:22 PM
They can be played either way: online or offline. Some (a small portion) of the server overload is due to people playing the standalone single-player "offline" component of the game while connected online. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. URU was conceived (as best I can understand it) as a way to let you bring others into your "Prime" world to assist you in solving puzzles, making jumps, etc. This would explain why there hasn't been a single new puzzle introduced during the Prologue.

However, the reality of the situation is that playing Prime online merely A) clogs up the servers so it lags the chat and walking around of the URU Live players, and B) introduces lag and bugs into the Prime game that, as Marlboro so eloquently satirized, make the single-player game unplayable.

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

salgene
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM
I kinda feel the same way as the poster. I mean I've played other 3d online online multi player games and Yes theres lag, but its from your connection not from someone else linking into the same area as you.

Hate to bring up a competitor, but SOE has EQ. yes it has its faults and it isn't as graphicly intensive, but atleast when playing that, I don't notice when someone else zones into the same area as me.

At times EQ has over 2000 people (peak times) on an individual server.

I understand it takes time, but You guys need to tell us something and not that things are being looked at. thats one thing that SOE fails at, well sometimes. they are getting better.

If people are getting nailed by server lag (not connection or framerate lag) everytime someone else logs into the server, well that tells me your servers can't handle the load. time to get better servers and alot more bandwith. Not to many people want to pay for a laggy game where they can't get anything acomplished.

Just be honest with us and tells us what going on. Stop being so mysterious about things.

WinXP, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ w/512 meg , Geforce 256 DDR 32megs AGP video.

maztec
01-26-2004, 11:19 PM
I enjoy my frustrations in a similar veign. Albeit, my experience hasn't been quite so bad -- I've only had Uru crash completely on me twice and require a reboot. Although, I've had my fair number of network disconnects, authorization failures, and all that.. Also had that danged copy thing not let me copy it -- albeit I found out you can hit the tab key and the space bar to actually copy it -- cool!

Only one disagreement http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif People complained that they were concentrating all their resources into fixing the problems instead of putting up new game areas -- so they went ahead and started letting their age developers (which can't do much in the way of fixing physics or networking issues -- since that's not their department) produce and release some of the material they have. Thus, we could enjoy more. Of course this revealed more bugs and some more untested code.. But hey, that's why we're testers.

Then again, I'd be even angrier if I hadn't realized that this would essentially be a beta test for this portion of the game.

Oh well, frustrating to all of us, I'm sure http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Maz

---
Have you had your D'LA today? (http://www.dniactivities.org/)
Katran KI#: 2831843
Atrus KI#: 4941719

choda_boy_bear
01-26-2004, 11:20 PM
FWIW,

It has been a while since I received the call stack error, but it seems I remember finding a log in my URU directory with that information (in case you decide to mail it to support).

Good Luck

JimBear

Ivanova1
01-27-2004, 01:34 AM
The call stack error is saved as stackDump.log in the log folder. I've had it several times too. You can also copy using Printscreen.

D aniel
01-27-2004, 05:53 AM
To clarify -

My original post was in regards to the LIVE version not Prime (although Gahreeshan is worse now than when I originally played it in Nov and early Dec). Hence it was directed at Ubi not Cyan.

The lag is NOT my bandwidth nor my computing power. I have T1 (1.5mb) pipeline bothways. I also have dual processors (2.4ghz each) a 128mb nVidia geForce 4 card and half gig DDR RAM. All WELL above specs.

While I do realize that this is an open beta nd its free - I can be patient, but last nite after a week of trying to get into Gahreeshan was the straw on my camels back.

Cyan 'should' have used a NEW game platform instead of one that cant handle the new technology. Yes Uru is far more advanced than anything out there. Yes its different from most MMOGs, and yes it requires 1 helluva system. That should have been a que for them to look for a better platform -- hmmmm - www.butterfly.net? (http://www.butterfly.net?) I dunno just speculating here.

Anyway - the bottom line is UBI needs to get with game plan and do more to provide more for Cyan to break new ground once again!

Khatie_
01-27-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm a 10-year Cyan fan too.

I now work for Ubi.

So, I can't use sarcasm to answer... and trust me, I'm really great at it! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, this forum is for just what you're doing in it - venting frustrations, and telling us your serious concerns.

What you need to understand, however, in case you are not sure about this, Cyan and Ubi both ARE listening, reading and working very hard to solve what problems linger and capitalize on what strengths exist.

As always, thank you for continuing to join us, both in game and on the forums. These threads and posts are not going unnoticed. It's just that there's not much to report this week. Bear with us - things will be better soon.

Thanks again.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What's New, Uru? (http://urulive.ubi.com/US/)

maztec
01-27-2004, 01:10 PM
TRM, for what it's worth -- crashes are in the client. Authentication Errors, login errors, etc, are in the server.

Lag is both.. . Oddly enough, I've been logging my systems performance in every way possible while playing Uru for the last several months -- and that "link-in" lag (being the most persistant, dependable, and still around lag -- the others seem to be getting better on my end! -- except rendering lag when things that can't be easily predicted are in viewing range...) Well, link-in lag literally pauses my whole system -- on all of my systems.

By the way, dual processors mean nothing to Uru -- it can only utilize a single processor. In fact, if my tests so far have been accurrate, dual processors and "hyperthreading" seem to actually make the games performance worse, not better. -- Possibly if you associated the games process solely with the secondary processor and had the primary processor handle everything else while in game....... that might improve things.

Maz

---
Have you had your D'LA today? (http://www.dniactivities.org/)
Katran KI#: 2831843
Atrus KI#: 4941719

p0nyb0y
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi
1st let me say that I am hoping I am posting this is the correct area, as last time I posted I was told basicly to go to another forum because I posted something in the "wrong" character forum!

I have found that I have many errors in playing uru, but I dont know if they are URU or my computer.

1st when I would link into the city or another area and get a black screen I noticed if I did cnt alt del i had many rundll32's and if i endtasked them, wow my blackness went away.
2nd everytime I log out of URU whether it be by system error or stack dump or just a normal exit i have to reboot before I can get back into uru. I get a little box that tells me to reboot if this error happens again, which it always does.
3rd i have found upon rebooting and getting back into uru my ava is hard to control actually fighting me on where i want her to go and where she wants to be.
4th some of the lag is caused by my system and NOT the servers. and yes i have custom built system that is well above spects for the journey. ALOT of people use alt - tab to bounce back and forth between uru and say Forums to post things and this causes lag..virus programs instant messager, your email set up to check your mail every 10 min. which is automatic and a lot of people dont know this...

So in a nut shell, I think that a lot of the issues are on both sides.

lets say someone wanted xp and didnt want to buy it, so they copied a friends and installed it. This can cause files to be corrupt or missing in windows that causes some issues. And i can bet if someone hacked their game, they have the know how of getting programs off the newsgroups which may not have all the files like help files are removed to make the file size smaller.

I am not accusing anyone on of anything please dont think that, I just think that maybe before we go busting ubi or cyan some people may need to format, defrag, or just check cnt alt del and see what is running on their system at any given time, you will be suprised at what shows up compared to what only needs to be running or what is supposed to be running.

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

but I know marlboro is right in saying he has a sweet system, top of the line programs he uses for his work and his issues are not like mine. I have seen other games with no lag at all and almost as much graphics (being a beta tester a couple new MPOG games yet to be released) 1 of which i have been in with 50 other people running around chating, fighting, trading, exploring, and no lag at all and all of us in the same area.

So we are both to blame, but for the most part some of the lag may be caused by other players doing things they shouldnt be doing. Thus causing everyone to lag.

p.s I would like a puzzle. Thank you and have a great day.

Srikandi
01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Crashing out of the game when linking is my most severe problem. And I have a new high-end system too (3.0 Ghz processor, 1 gig of RAM, etc. etc.) If there are any tweaks I can do to ease the problem I'd love to know what they are.

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

p0nyb0y
01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Okay after further investigation, I have found that I am still getting the black screen, but i can click on things when my cursor changes, but i dont seem to move. Like if i put it by where my ki or relto book should be, it will make a click marker, but when i click it i still have black screen.

I thought that it was connected to rundll32's, but it is not. ;o( that sometimes works but not all the time.

I dont seem to have a problem with getting into the city (open link) as much as making it into the city.

I like to see new areas of the city open, i cant lie about that, but i would rather just have everything fixed properly before moving ahead, as i have said before, it is will be ready in may, tell me to come back in may. dont keep giving me something that just causes crashes on my system, lockups, and well errors. I havent had a complete game - meaning log in get a marker chat run around and log back out - in a long time.

we cant blame the over invitations either because as of now pretty much everyone gets in within a day or two.

thank you

hammett.au
01-28-2004, 05:17 PM
if you get a black screen then your game has crashed. press enter and you should return to desktop. if that doesnt work then press f4.

i think its just a bug that the error message doesnt show.

p0nyb0y
01-28-2004, 05:45 PM
actually with the black screen i get sometimes if i wait for close the rundll32, i am in game and fine. no problems at all, besides walking off a cliff.. without seeing it. hehe

CRESTON2
01-29-2004, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guinevere4719:
I'm a 10-year Cyan fan too.

I now work for Ubi.

So, I can't use sarcasm to answer... and trust me, I'm really great at it! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, this forum is for just what you're doing in it - venting frustrations, and telling us your serious concerns.

What you need to understand, however, in case you are not sure about this, Cyan and Ubi both ARE listening, reading and working very hard to solve what problems linger and capitalize on what strengths exist.

As always, thank you for continuing to join us, both in game and on the forums. These threads and posts are not going unnoticed. It's just that there's not much to report this week. Bear with us - things will be better soon.

Thanks again.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://urulive.ubi.com/US/&lt;HR&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt; (http://urulive.ubi.com/US/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>) Guinevere, You delightful person, your response is the most hopeful message I have seen yet. I have spent hours, over days searching for some light at the end of the tunnel. Why did it take a bit of very witty sarcasm by the originator of this thread to smoke out that promising news many of us are waiting for? Btw, I bet he is a theatre critic in real life. I will say one thing, I have not seen the bashing I have in other non-URU game forums, thank heavens. But we have been frustrated for information. If I might be so bold, You are a real Pal, Thank you. Cheers, Murray.

[This message was edited by CRESTON2 on Thu January 29 2004 at 07:15 PM.]

-Jewel-
01-30-2004, 06:43 AM
p0nyb0y, once again you hit the nail on the head, albeit in your own strangely unpunctuated and decapitalized way http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Marlboro, thank you (no, really!) for your great post.
It made such a difference from the countless "Whine nag complain http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif" posts I have had the privilege not to want to read.
Usually I don't like sarcasm, but in this case it worked... at LAST someone from Ubi actually RESPONDED!!!

http://members.chello.nl/~s.nent/images/uru.gif

akelli
01-30-2004, 12:34 PM
First, let me say I'm loving URU Live, even with the crashes and lags. I've played all the Myst games alone and find this to be much more fun due to the interaction with other players.

As to the lags, I found that I can minimize the ones caused by my own system by disabling the audio in the setup at the beginning of the game, not on the KI. It seems to help just enough to make moving around less agonizing.

Scara_Brae
01-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Excuse me if I am not as "with it" when it comes to systems, files, errors, settings etc., but I'd like to know how much of the problem that people are having with getting into the city and lag once in, is caused by the 24/7 players? Politically and morally incorrect as it may be, I have a life that involved two civilizations. ( D'ni and the real world ).It appears to me that many people live in D'ni only. Avatars that stand, unmoving, uninvolved and unwatched while junior is at school or in bed asleep. How much pressure are they putting on the server? Perhaps it is time to "time stamp" city visitors. The air in D'ni can't be that great and perhaps a one hour per day limit on breathing it should be enforced. At least that way some of us "might" stand a chance at playing this "potentially" great game. Just a question folks but, I know I won't pay to play unless the game becomes more accessible.
( P4 3.0 / 1 gig DIMM / ATI 9800pro / ADSL / Intel Audio (set low ) ///

ALNAPZOK
01-31-2004, 02:05 AM
I have been trying to play Uru live for over a month and only made in once. I crashed when trying to link somewhere else. That was the last time I ever got in. I thought something was wrong with my graphics card or system. But after reading this post I know I'm not the only one. I agree....I well not pay to play if I cannot get in without crashing or getting a call stack level 14 error, or freezing up.

Vormaen
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
I am going to say one thing and one thing only. I understand just what's it's like to have these problems. I do not have near the technology in my system, nor the connection speed to be considered a high end system. But I abide, waiting for things to fall in place. As long as we protest and speak our mind, Cyan will know it is worth trudging on.

I have one complaint though. The original poster, this is for you. It is your right to vent your frustrations. But is it really necessary to use such sarcasm? That in any form of conversation would be considered rude and disrespectful. I myself have gotten upset at performance levels and lag........but here's one thing I do understand overall. Cyan is working their collective arses off to give us a great product. They are trying something new, and beautiful, and I salute their efforts. Maybe you should have started when there was no online play. Then you might not be so harsh. But I tell this to everyone looking over my shoulder while I have these problems and badmouth the company. "you think you could do better? I urge you to try."

Please do not misjudge me, I am not trying to start a fight, or heat. I am just saying, and I'm sure the community would agree, have a little respect for these guys. You have problems, let us, and them, hear you. But negativity like what I found in this post will not solve the problem. If I were a developer and I read that post, I wouldn't put squat into my future efforts. Because that shows that nothing I do will ever be good enough, and I wouldn't think it was worth the effort, belittling the way you did. But that's just me. I just see a lot of people who think just because they aren't face to face with the group, it means full rights say whatever they please without hesitation. They are reading, and words, spoken or typed, still can hurt.

"Many People can think with their mind, but how many of you can really contemplate with your Hearts?"
Organizer of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni movement, Discoverer of Reflections and Fire,and friend to all explorers.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pa131e7ac7e4f15edd4d69291852d2ba4/f9c3b037.jpg.orig.jpg

dividertabs
01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Obviously if the developers do not improve the game before launch they will lose a lot of money and nobody will be happy. I hope they realize this.

02943340@Katran

Vormaen
01-31-2004, 03:42 PM
No one believes them to be stupid. If they cannot have it ready by their planned release, then Prologue goes on. I was happy just playing another Myst game. It is becoming obvious some are not playing for the right reasons.

"Many People can think with their mind, but how many of you can really contemplate with your Hearts?"
Organizer of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni movement, Discoverer of Reflections and Fire,and friend to all explorers.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pa131e7ac7e4f15edd4d69291852d2ba4/f9c3b037.jpg.orig.jpg

pickles295
01-31-2004, 05:02 PM
It's nice to see someone from Cyan finally reply (but no real name). I too can't easily stomach the mysticism in their corporate culture in dealing with the public. On their site, nowhere is there listed a single phone number, email address or any meaningful contact information. They hide behind their website. For example, when I first tried to get my game registered with the CD key, it told me it was already registered. For two months I did my best to get the cleared up.

The only thing that did work was a very real (but nice) threat of litigation within 24 hours. My account was fixed the next day. Should it take a threat of legal action to get such a simple thing done? Perhaps not, but it was the only thing that worked.

Of course the game/system crashes are a real hassle. However, this IS a GAME and this is IN BETA after all.

So people, kindly post your bugs. If URU or Cyan chooses not to read them, they will be the ones to suffer when people quite pay them any money.

One more thing. URU, Cyan or who every you really are, quite being such a MOUSE<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> and put some contact information on your site. You should be thankful if people are ringing your phones off the hook.

pickles295
01-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Can you cool it with your advertisements please? Nobody really cares. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vormaen:
No one believes them to be stupid. If they cannot have it ready by their planned release, then Prologue goes on. I was happy just playing another Myst game. It is becoming obvious some are not playing for the right reasons.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mszv
01-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Just a pleasant reminder from your pleasant mod (hopefully I'm pleasant, but sometimes I wonder!). Feel free to say all that you want about the game, both good and bad. But, please don't bash each other.

Thanks.

Regards, mszv play as amarez
KI #: 81782, Achener (main shard)
KI #: 2679970, Katran

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!
------------------
How to submit a bug report From Uru Live - ? (lower right) - ? (help), Contact Customer Service (bottom), From Forum - http://support.ubi.com/ - Knowledge base (left), Ask a question.

Whitch2
01-31-2004, 07:01 PM
pickles295, you might want to take a little time to get aquainted with these boards and how they are operated and maintained. What Vormaen has as his sig is no more or less than a great many other community members. People tend to use a variety of subjects for their sigs.....quotes, drawings, guild affiliations, fan site affiliations, etc. There is nothing wrong with this as long as they abide by the Forum Guidelines. (http://www.ubi.com/US/CommunityZone/Forums/guidelines)

As mszv stated....say all you want about the game - we welcome your opinion, but please DO NOT start in on other board members. If you have an issue, contact one of the Mods. We are trying to maintain a civil atmosphere in our little community. I hope you will help us in our efforts. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sheldarn
01-31-2004, 07:46 PM
And there was me lining up a cone circle for mszv http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/mockface.gif

Seriously though, from what I've seen with Cyan in the past, I don't really expect too much of a response right now, as I believe the poor sods are just working away trying to sort out the bugs. If they can extend the city from 30 to 35 people without waving flags all over the place, then I guess I can back off a bit and see what happens.

It's probably as frustrating for them as for us, wanting to see lag go 'thwup' and we all go running round like maniacs in the city. I'll just spend my time wandering the 'hoods for now, talking to friends, and new people I meet.

Hope to see you down there,
Tarl Raven

D aniel
01-31-2004, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vormaen:
I have one complaint though. The original poster, this is for you. It is your right to vent your frustrations. But is it really necessary to use such sarcasm? That in any form of conversation would be considered rude and disrespectful. I myself have gotten upset at performance levels and lag........but here's one thing I do understand overall. Cyan is working their collective arses off to give us a great product. They are trying something new, and beautiful, and I salute their efforts. Maybe you should have started when there was no online play. Then you might not be so harsh. But I tell this to everyone looking over my shoulder while I have these problems and badmouth the company. "you think you could do better? I urge you to try."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I consider sevre crashes that 'may' actually damage my harddrive rude. I consider the fact Ubi is not responsible for any damage to my machine by their software (I actaully allowed my drive to read/write for over an hour 1 nite just to see if anything would move in the game). Savvy computer users call this 'thrashing'. Its bad for your drive.

That said: If you read my post CLOSER it is NOT directed to Cyan (it is actaully complimenting their work of the past 5 years). It is directed to UBI. Since I can not say for such what kind of server clusters are being used nor what kind of pipeline data is being delivered on - I can state that UBI needs to put more resources into fixing what is broke.

I am not going to apologize for my post. It was meant to be witty, comical and to the very real point of venting my frustrations.

Granted I do commend Cyan for their most excellent concept and efforts thus far, but while the gest of my original post was to UBI, Cyan too, needs to focus a bit more fixing what is wrong. Its their partnership - THEY need to resolve the issus together.

Errrr... I DID start when there was no online play. I wasnt a closed beta tester, but I had the game within a day or two of release.

Anyway - now that I have my frsutrations vented - let me continue to say:

I LOVE THIS GAME

So heres an open invite to all in this thread: Join me in the pub - the first round is one me. (I hear the 2300 year old scotch is out of this world!)

D'aniel (all shards)

mszv
01-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Sheldarn is that cone circle a good thing or a bad thing? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
You know, you can use cones - hmmm - maybe I can kick them into
position and use them to assist in a jump!

I do find the silence from the developer and the publisher (Cyan and Ubi)
to be darn irritating. I'd like them fix the bugs, and the lag,
and I'd like to be able to get into the city (Ae'gura) right now.

Regards, mszv play as amarez
KI #: 81782, Achener (main shard)
KI #: 2679970, Katran

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!
------------------
How to submit a bug report From Uru Live - ? (lower right) - ? (help), Contact Customer Service (bottom), From Forum - http://support.ubi.com/ - Knowledge base (left), Ask a question.

Vormaen
02-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Well with that said, cool. Cyan has put out some great games in the past, and I to love the hell out of Uru. I am just waiting patiently. As for hard drive crashes, I haven't experienced anything like that yet. I think Ubi should play a more active role in helping cyan get the servers to a usable point, if they aren't already.

SteveCrid
02-01-2004, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheldarn:
Seriously though, from what I've seen with Cyan in the past, I don't really expect too much of a response right now, as I believe the poor sods are just working away trying to sort out the bugs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, Uru is a totally different ballgame from Myst and Riven. Those games *couldn't* be rolled out the door until they were ready. Cyan doesn't seem to be the kind of company that has the "we can release a patch if we need to" mentality.

Uru *Prime* was, I think, ready for release. Yes it was fairly small. Yes, Kadish was a nightmare and seemingly counter-intuitive. But I didn't encounter any *technical* problems playing Uru Prime. (Other than I could do with a faster PC. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) I suspect Ubi looked at Prime and didn't stop to consider how much they would tick off the fanbase when they found out that Live was nowhere near being ready.

With an offline game there is no specific need to talk to and listen to your fanbase (provided the game isn't bugged to hell and back). Good advertising, reviews and distribution are essential, but the communication is pretty much one-way. If you decide to communicate with your fanbase, that's a nice added bonus for the players, but not essential. I may be being cynical, but with an offline game once you've got their money that's it. (Unless you tick them off really badly, and they decide never to buy any of your other titles out of principle).

But with an online game, *have* to talk to your user base. Their continued support means your continued income. If they leave, your money dries up. It's as simple as that.

To go back to your original point, I'm sure everybody at Cyan who CAN help on the problem IS helping on the problem. It's been pointed out that the people designing new content probably aren't programmers who could fix the current problems. They haven't stopped working just because of a problem that they're powerless to help fix. Similarly there are people employed at Cyan/Ubi whose job is to talk to the public. I wouldn't have expected *them* to stop working because of the current technical problems.

If the computer system at my work suddenly went down, I'd still expect the receptionist to be there to answer the phone and greet visitors. But that wouldn't mean that the rest of us weren't still working our butts off to fix the problem.