PDA

View Full Version : Question about Binoculars

CovertKi11
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, so I never even knew the spies had binoculars until a couple days ago when I was tweaking my SvM controls. I tried them out and they seem kind of pointless, is there any point to using binoculars? Oh yea, and do they make you show up on EMF?

CovertKi11
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, so I never even knew the spies had binoculars until a couple days ago when I was tweaking my SvM controls. I tried them out and they seem kind of pointless, is there any point to using binoculars? Oh yea, and do they make you show up on EMF?

scworld
10-05-2005, 12:28 PM
They can lock onto 1 objective (useful for noobs for navigating), they can hack Merc's comms from a distance, they can *gasp* magnify things. I am not sure if they make you light up on EMF. I only think so.

Chimera87
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">i think u can use binoculars for hacking enemy communications....</span>

element54
10-05-2005, 01:07 PM
what do you mean "lock on to 1 objevtive"? i'll have to give that a try.

Eclyps3
10-05-2005, 01:15 PM
If you aim at an objective's icon with binoculars and press "Use" you will lock on to that obj - it will be the only one you see in enhanced reality. Pointless to the max.
The binoculars make you light up in EMF.
I never used it for hacking since it's hard to follow your target for long and usually you will get babbling instead of heavy-duty tactic discussions(that, and the language problem).
I only use it to see if merc has GasMask. Sometimes...

Toshi_
10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Aim at one of the objectives, press Shift and bang! Only this objective is marked on your HUD...
Maybe it's helpfull for beginners to navigate, but it's USELESS for ppl who know the map...
I don't use it... It's a feature without a purpouse (well... maybe in DMs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), just like changing ROF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

EDIT: grrrr Eclyps was faster http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

SITHDUKE
10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
I find it best used on hospital due to the common on-look you have over the mercs. Looking at them through windows or from celings is handy but it means you can't escape and because you're visable on EMF means the costs of them far outweigh the benefits.

CAKE_Wha_
10-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Think about it this way:
Binoculars are for viewing distant objects, and Versus is only playable if the distances between things are small (otherwise there's a whole lot of nothing to do every time you spawn). Also, maps tend to be focused on the interior of buildings, since it's about a million times easier to justify all the stuff spies would need. This translates into even smaller distances around a spy. Try walking (or looking, for that matter) down a (real) hall with (actual) binoculars. There really isn't a point, since you can already see everything in full detail without them, without the FOV restriction.

Basically, it's an attempt to balance by equality (think WarCraft2). The mercs can zoom in on stuff, so why not the spies? :shrug: At least they don't take any space or make noise.

BigSlim_UK
10-07-2005, 08:27 AM
In PT my best use for them was on Vertigo, i would stay at spawn and hack the mercs comms, because one would always stay and try to snipe....

It worked a treat because if you hacked quick enough you would know if they are planning to let one of the rooms go, thus making it easier for us to know which room to go for firsthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And since i was on the spy spawn, no one would snipe me (except Amn and Xan) because it was spawn killinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Try using it on clubhouse in the garden. You'll be snipe free because there's glass in the way, but you still get to hack the mercs comms.

stff
10-07-2005, 08:28 AM
while we're on the notion of binoculars and zooming in, i think spies should be able to zoom while using gun, while it may not seem useful, here is one possibilty u can use it. Zoom ability would greatly increase ur accuracy, so u could get headshots on mercs more easily, this could be useful against MT *****s, so ur partner can get past someone undetected, what do u guys think

BigSlim_UK
10-07-2005, 08:34 AM
If they remove the laser that comes with the gun completely, then yeah i'll be happy with zoom, but tbh the laser works most of the time for aiming.

Bionic-Blob
10-07-2005, 08:44 AM
i would be happy if they got rid of the grid-like motion of the laser aiming

Xan-99
10-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey don't drag me into this Slim, Amn was the one spawn sniping.

FlamingGimp
10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bionic-Blob:
i would be happy if they got rid of the grid-like motion of the laser aiming </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you've got your sensitivity (in-game) cranked up, the game compensates by skipping pixels. Buy an MX518, it's got adjustable dpi settings on the mouse. That way you can lower your sensitivity back to 10, and get no pixel skipping, but still have the same movement/control.

Raakile91
10-10-2005, 07:59 AM
maybe UBI should think about an upgrade that the spies could track mercenaries' communications by pointing them with their binoculars new tracking laser. (note: it would not make the merc show up on radar, only allow spies to hear merc speaking to his voicechat for 90 secs. also the tracking laser would be visible in EMF faintly like all other lasers and spy's suit would show up also when he's using it)

Wh1tE_Dw4rF
10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlamingGimp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bionic-Blob:
i would be happy if they got rid of the grid-like motion of the laser aiming </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you've got your sensitivity (in-game) cranked up, the game compensates by skipping pixels. Buy an MX518, it's got adjustable dpi settings on the mouse. That way you can lower your sensitivity back to 10, and get no pixel skipping, but still have the same movement/control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tnx !! i have that mouse so im all happy i first used mouse speed 20 but with this i dont need that =)