PDA

View Full Version : Automotive question, cold weather and tire pressure.....

Yen Lo
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
k I live in cold climate. i filled up the tire pressures in my truck to recommended level of 35 psi. Then the tempureture dropped to like zero degress, and tire pressure dropped to like 25 psi. So did the tire pressure drop because air escaped from the tires, or because the air condensed due to temperature drop?
Never had a leak before cause all 4 kept their pressure till it got cold.
What happens when it gets warmmer like tomarrow, up to like 45 degrees?

Yen Lo
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
k I live in cold climate. i filled up the tire pressures in my truck to recommended level of 35 psi. Then the tempureture dropped to like zero degress, and tire pressure dropped to like 25 psi. So did the tire pressure drop because air escaped from the tires, or because the air condensed due to temperature drop?
What happens when it gets warmmer like tomarrow, up to like 45 degrees?

Hornet57
01-24-2005, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yen Lo:
What happens when it gets warmmer like tomarrow, up to like 45 degrees? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tire pressure does change with the wheather like up when hot and down when cold. Hot air expands and cold air contracts.

Demon_Mustang
01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Yah, the ideal time to check your tire pressure and adjust accordingly is when the temperature is "normal" for your area.

If it's too hot, you'll get an abnormally high reading, if it's too cold, you'll get an abnormally low reading.

ScrubberManFSJ
01-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Step 1) Go to a Praxair store, or something similar, such as Air Liquide

Step 2) Buy a small cylinder of Nitrogen (about 40$)

Step 3) using a low pressure adapter (make one for a few bucks) bleed tires till almost flat.

Step 4) Fill with Nitrogen

Step 5) repeat steps 3 and 4 about 5 times each, then fill with nitrogen to proper amount of pressure.

Step 6) Never deal with tire pressure again (unless it leaks) as Nitrogen does not react with climate as does air.

I have 2 vehicles and 3 quads on this system, and even when the temp reaches -35 celius, there is no noticable difference in tire pressure.

Hornet57
01-24-2005, 08:34 PM
When I use to drag race I had to check the tire pressure after each run. With slicks if the air pressure is too high they wont grip .

ScrubberManFSJ
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Did you have Nitrogen in the tires?

Demon_Mustang
01-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Ooohhh, is that why one of the mechanics I went to have a big tank of nitrogen?? Now I'm curious if they use that trick as the regular way to inflate customers' tires...

Trogdor93
01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't want to turn this into the let's pester Hornet and turn this into an automotive forum so I'll be polite and ask permission. Hornet, do you mind if I ask you a couple of car questions?

Demon_Mustang
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Why don't you want to turn this into a let's pester Hornet with car questions thread???

Yen Lo
01-25-2005, 12:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScrubberManFSJ:
Step 1) Go to a Praxair store, or something similar, such as Air Liquide

Step 2) Buy a small cylinder of Nitrogen (about 40$)

Step 3) using a low pressure adapter (make one for a few bucks) bleed tires till almost flat.

Step 4) Fill with Nitrogen

Step 5) repeat steps 3 and 4 about 5 times each, then fill with nitrogen to proper amount of pressure.

Step 6) Never deal with tire pressure again (unless it leaks) as Nitrogen does not react with climate as does air.

I have 2 vehicles and 3 quads on this system, and even when the temp reaches -35 celius, there is no noticable difference in tire pressure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious?

Yen Lo
01-25-2005, 12:27 AM
LOl so I checked the pressure yesterday, and at about 15 deg faren. all tires were about 25 psi, so i went to the station( about 3 blocks away), and filled to 35 psi. Sure enough, went outside today and at 42 degrees farenheit the tires were like 37-38 psi.
So I guess you should fill up your low tires till, it warms up then let the air back out again lol.

Hornet57
01-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Go ahead Trogdor ask away.
btw are you paying with cash or credit card? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ..............j/k

I heard about Nitrogen but never used it Scrubber

ScrubberManFSJ
01-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Quite a few of the racers use it I hear, and it seems to work good. Since its an inert gas, there is no danger from it.

And like I said, it works well for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Hornet57
01-25-2005, 06:55 AM
When I fist heard about it I thought it was a joke. I thought Nitro= BOOM http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But I never heard anyone in my racing circle use it.......... of course it was a pretty small circle http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Demon_Mustang
01-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey, at least they are not filling their tires with hydrogen to save on weight! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif