PDA

View Full Version : freezing problem - game or PC?

quartet
10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi, a few times now, my game has frozen and the only thing I have been able to do to get out of the game is to shut my PC off manually (ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab, and alt-f4 don't work). Today it happened after I had been playing for a couple of hours. I rebooted and started to play again. This time it froze just a few minutes in. My question is: is this the game or perhaps a problem due to overheating of my system? Here's what I am running:

Dell XPS700
Vista 32 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4ghz)
GeForce 8800GT
2gb RAM

Thanks for any and all help, suggestions, etc.!

quartet
10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi, a few times now, my game has frozen and the only thing I have been able to do to get out of the game is to shut my PC off manually (ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab, and alt-f4 don't work). Today it happened after I had been playing for a couple of hours. I rebooted and started to play again. This time it froze just a few minutes in. My question is: is this the game or perhaps a problem due to overheating of my system? Here's what I am running:

Dell XPS700
Vista 32 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4ghz)
GeForce 8800GT
2gb RAM

Thanks for any and all help, suggestions, etc.!

Xanthias1
10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
One thing you may want to try next time.

I have had the game freeze up a couple times now. If your system isn't fully dead, but the system won't let you leave the FC2 screen...

Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Task Manager, wait a few seconds, Alt+E to select "End Task" (the current application is default selection when task manager is brought up, Alt+E again to confirm on the pop-up dialog. These are the keyboard shortcuts and have worked for me both times.

Your Mileage May Vary. =-]

quartet
10-26-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks. i meant to say ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, not shft-alt-del (who knows what that does? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

halons
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
My system crashes frequently...I get a black screen, both my monitors turn off (like they don't have a signal), I have to restart.

Tried everything, latest drivers (beta nvidia drivers crash crisis in same way - never done that before now).

3xGTX280
DDR3 2000mhz
Q6600 3.6ghz (prime stable)
RAID raptor drives defragged.

john_chi
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by halons:
My system crashes frequently...I get a black screen, both my monitors turn off (like they don't have a signal), I have to restart.

Tried everything, latest drivers (beta nvidia drivers crash crisis in same way - never done that before now).

3xGTX280
DDR3 2000mhz
Q6600 3.6ghz (prime stable)
RAID raptor drives defragged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm not SEEING a BSOD, this is exactly how FC2 crashes for me whenever I try to start it. The splash screen shows up, hard drive reads, then my monitor goes black, I hear the crash bleep sound, and my monitor goes to stand-by mode.

I am, however, able to blindly restart my computer properly with the keyboard shortcuts (windows start key, U, then R).

Xanthias1
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I only included the full keyboard shortcuts for Task End because when I did C+A+D, the graphics wouldn't let me "leave" the game, but I could see that the Task Manager had popped up behind the un-refreshable window.

I was under the impression that C+A+D had no noticeable effect, not that the pc had become unresponsive. My apologies. =-]