PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell 1- GeForce 6800 series - Shadows Fix

Ionix_9
11-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Hello all. Since this is my first post, I realise I may be asking too much by asking if this thread can be stickied, but, hopefully it will help some poor soulds who lost their shadows in Splinter Cell after buying their shiny, new GeForce 6800 series card.
For starters, make sure that you update your graphics drivers and motherboard driver, etc.

Instructions:
1) Open the 'system' folder in the folder where you installed Splinter Cell (e.g. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Splinter Cell\system )
2) Make a backup of SplinterCell.ini (e.g. Copy it to the root folder of the SC1 install)
3) Open the original SplinterCell.ini in the /system folder.
4) Change this line: ";ForceShadowMode=0" -to- "ForceShadowMode=0"
5) Save the changes.
6) Play the game with shadows.

If this didn't work, try changing the line to "ForceShadowMode=1". If that still doesn't work, change the line back to its original form (;ForceShadowMode=0), and set the option below it, "EmulateGF2Mode=0" to "EmulateGF2Mode=1". Hopefully, that will fix it.
And that's about it. All I ask is that the admin/moderator sticky this so that others who have a GeForce 6800 series card can still enjoy this great game.

Thadigan314
03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes, sticky this people. I had to search for 2 hours for this fix when I upgraded to geforce 6600gt and I wanted to replay sc1 and sc2 before buyihng 3.

SZero013
03-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Will try. Does anyone have a reasoning for why a single semi-colon makes a difference?

Cralle
03-17-2005, 02:51 AM
A semicolon states that the line is a remark, and therefore not to be executed.

SZero013
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok, but if that's the case, why are only the Geforce 6 series affected and not others by the small change?

Sorry, just curious.

Tfrogs1
03-19-2005, 11:48 PM
What about for Pandora Tomorrow? Some of the shadows - most noticeably the spotlights - don't show up. I've had a look in the SplinterCell2.ini file, but there's nothing about the shadows.

S.a.S-Akbari
03-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Ah yea a sticky!

DaWizeGuy
03-24-2005, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tfrogs1:
What about for Pandora Tomorrow? Some of the shadows - most noticeably the spotlights - don't show up. I've had a look in the SplinterCell2.ini file, but there's nothing about the shadows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pandora Tomorrow uses the same shadow and lighting system for all cards so all you can do is to try different Forceware drivers and see if one solves the problem.

DaWizeGuy
03-24-2005, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SZero013:
Ok, but if that's the case, why are only the Geforce 6 series affected and not others by the small change?

Sorry, just curious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GeForce 3/4/FX cards are affected too. Splinter Cell is basically an Xbox port and makes use of the hardware Shadow Buffer on the NV2A XGPU to accellerate shadow rendering. The XGPU is basically a GeForce 3/4 class GPU and Splinter Cell's Shadow Buffer system is for some reason incompatible with the newer GeForceFX and 6xxx cards. Nvidia probably tweaked the Shadow Buffer engine on the newer cards which make them incomptible with the shadow buffer system used in Splinter Cell. Fortunately Splinter Cell has a fall back shadow and lighting system often referred to as the "shadow projector mode". This mode was written to support Radeon cards which lack hardware support for Nvidia shadow buffers (depth textures). GeForce 3/4/FX/6xxx can use this mode as well and although it doesn't look nearly as good at least it enables shadows.

The good news is that hardware shadow buffering works fine in the upcoming Chaos Theory, at least in Shader Model 1.1 mode.

S.a.S-Akbari
03-25-2005, 06:30 AM
CT is a different story :/ ^^

DaWizeGuy
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S.a.S-Akbari:
CT is a different story :/ ^^ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed it is. It was programmed by the Shanghai Team, not the original Splinter Cell Team (Dany Lepage et. al.)

cooldude6681
03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
CT?! CT was not programmed by the Shanghai team, it was programmed by the Montreal team (the originals, yay for them).