PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunter Frets Are Off

PaulGlendinning
10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I am not certain if it is my game, my chord, or my guitar. The only guitar in the house I have is the one that came with the game, and they will not replace the software alone. Is anyone having an issue where when you play Duck Hunter, you hold down third fret and it says you are holding down the second, or forth? This is happening time and time again.
Tried re-booting XBOX
Tried Unplugging and re-plugging in guitar
Tried cleaning the ends of the chords.

Thoughts?

PaulGlendinning
10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I am not certain if it is my game, my chord, or my guitar. The only guitar in the house I have is the one that came with the game, and they will not replace the software alone. Is anyone having an issue where when you play Duck Hunter, you hold down third fret and it says you are holding down the second, or forth? This is happening time and time again.
Tried re-booting XBOX

Thoughts?

SeattleSauve
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Have you tried tuning the guitar with a real tuner? I've noticed the in-box tuner is pretty lax.

My problem with ducks is my low e-string has fret buzz above the 17th fret or so, so as soon as ducks start coming higher than that I start losing the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I need to get my guitar tuned up, my issue is not the game's fault http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JamesAtkinson
10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Does the rest of the game give similar results? When you play a song are your notes constantly being missed and the game pointing you up or down a fret?

If so, it's not the game or the cord or the xbox, it's your guitar an the intonation is off. I'd suggest that you get a tuner and check the intonation. You can do this buy tuning the guitar then take the big E string (the thickest string) and fret it at the 12th and check the tuning. If it's not in tune then your intonation is bad.

There's plenty of resources online on how to fix this, or you can take it into a guitar shop and they can do a proper setup on it, should only cost about $30 or so.

r1chard34
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulGlendinning:
Tried re-booting XBOX

Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking about getting thicker strings on my guitar. If I vary the pressure on the second or third frets on the 6th or 5th strings the pitch varies and the game picks it up.

Sometimes when I see those yellow arrows I check myself and notice that I have a death grip on the neck of my guitar. If I relax a bit I see fewer arrows. But hey, I need one more thing to think about when I'm learning a song?

Butterhead1975
10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
what i have noticed thus far is i have a hard time putting enough pressure on the strings higher then twelve and i have to really concentrate on the pressure otherwise it counts it as a missed note. on the low e string this is hard to do sometimes and you just need to work on the position of your finger on the fret and press down a little harder cause sloppy fingering on the frets will be more noticable as you move up on the neck.

Mad_Duck_03
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
It would be nice if the game tuner - the one listed under menu-tools or something like that, (not the one we use before each & every song or game), was patched so we could check 12th fret intonation, might help determine if problems are with the guitar, or something else.

KilaRoach
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulGlendinning:
Tried re-booting XBOX

You need to have the intonation on the guitar set. I had the same problem and was given this advice. Didn't really want to belive that my brand new guitar needed adjustment. Went to guitar center and the tech wasn't to sure that that was the problem either. But after he did a setup on my guitar it now works perfect.

JulesLechter
10-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Of 4 guitars I used on the game, I noticed this on only one. Drove me crazy because it only happens at the third fret. Guess I should get my girl tuned up.

AlexLifeson
10-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Check here for the Gibson Les Paul type guitar guide for intonation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMFdSkBvkM

or here for the Fender Strat style guitar guide for intonation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVRCMJLnm4

GregSmith2011
10-30-2011, 11:27 PM
yep intonation is most likely the culprit. I dusted off my old peavey strat knock-off that I haven't played in ages for this game tried the duck hunter and whoa!! talk about off. So I spent an hour setting the neck (had some fret buzz) and also set the intonation. Once I got all the strings setup properly the problem disappeared.
Setting intonation isn't hard, but if it does intimidate you, it doesn't cost a whole lot to have a shop service your guitar.

Bookerman
10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
I had this same issue and the solution was TECHNIQUE.

Basically I was putting my fingers too far away from the fret itself... trying to put them "in the middle" of the space between the frets.

As soon as I moved my finger down toward the fret a bit better everything started working.

Might be just me...

CircusMidget_TS
10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Definitely take into consideration of all the responses given here and check out our FAQ as well at http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...ers/detail/a_id/8982 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8982)

Arik v2
10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Tried re-booting XBOX

Thoughts?

Hey! I had the exact same problem! Some people said it's intonation, but that's not adjustable on the Rocksmith guitar. However, upon examining my guitar, I noticed my string was slightly askew, and not directly above the pickup. I shimmied the string on the metal bar it sits on where you fret so that it is centered above the pickup, and voila, no more duck hunt issue at all. Cheers.

Dojomojomofo
11-19-2012, 07:02 AM
I have the same problem - I can't even do the basics in this game. Trying to do things like shifting or sustains, I basically play the note it asks for... then try again and again and again, then try frets above and below it, +/- 2 frets until it lets me pass each note. Sometimes I can do it on the fret it asks for if I press lightly enough that the note sounds dull and off key with no sustain, like "thub thub" but obviously that's not right.

Could a future patch include an intonation checking mode (maybe with a fret guide for total beginners so the test gives valid results?) I'm using the Epiphone Les Paul Jr that came with the kit and it seems obvious mine is miles off out of the box. I obviously have more hardware to buy/experts to see before I can start using the basics of this software.

C.Linton
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Tried re-booting XBOX

You need to have the intonation on the guitar set. I had the same problem and was given this advice. Didn't really want to belive that my brand new guitar needed adjustment. Went to guitar center and the tech wasn't to sure that that was the problem either. But after he did a setup on my guitar it now works perfect.
Yes, you would think so, but it happens more often than not that just about every guitar/bass you buy will need setting up of some degree.

C.Linton
11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey! I had the exact same problem! Some people said it's intonation, but that's not adjustable on the Rocksmith guitar. However, upon examining my guitar, I noticed my string was slightly askew, and not directly above the pickup. I shimmied the string on the metal bar it sits on where you fret so that it is centered above the pickup, and voila, no more duck hunt issue at all. Cheers.

That's not totally true. I tmay not be as adjustable as, say a Strat, but it's more adjustable than 99% of acoustic guitars. I have one of these Epi LP Jr's, and the intonation on is very good, moreso than I expected.

s2046
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Despite being mass-produced in China by people on $0.25 an hour then shipped across the world and left sitting in a box on a shelf before being ordered over the internet and shipped to your home adress, I don't think it's useful to think of an instrument as a piece of technology the same way as a TV is. For one thing, the wood breathes and reacts to changes in temperature and humidity, so even if it were perfectly set-up at the factory, it probably wouldn't remain so by the time you got it.

I found it really helpful to get my guitar set-up by a guitar technician, for the intonation, but also to make it more comfortable to play, setting the action, putting new strings on of my choosing etc (I use really light 8-gauge strings that require little pressure).

C.Linton
11-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Indeed. What s2046 said is spot on.