PDA

View Full Version : RS cable revelation

DeepDrummer
11-03-2011, 07:02 AM
I have Rocksmith on a PS3. Someone said the RS cable is the same on all three platforms including the PC one when it gets released. SO I thought hmmm...I wonder if that cable would work on my computer using my track recording program (Reaper).
I plugged the USB end into the computer and the jack into my guitar and fired up Reaper. It instantly recognised the cable as a USB mike so I set my preferences to use that as an input and low and behold. I could hear the guitar in it and record a track of it on Reaper as well. Playback was perfect. Very cool inexpensive way to Get the guitar into the computer for me although my own amp does have a usb connection.
I've seen folks spend a lot of money to get the guitar into a tracking program. Mind you the guitar comes in at a clean setting of course. Your individual results may vary.

DeepDrummer
11-03-2011, 07:02 AM
I have Rocksmith on a PS3. Someone said the RS cable is the same on all three platforms including the PC one when it gets released. SO I thought hmmm...I wonder if that cable would work on my computer using my track recording program (Reaper).
I plugged the USB end into the computer and the jack into my guitar and fired up Reaper. It instantly recognised the cable as a USB mike so I set my preferences to use that as an input and low and behold. I could hear the guitar in it and record a track of it on Reaper as well. Playback was perfect. Very cool inexpensive way to Get the guitar into the computer for me although my own amp does have a usb connection.
I've seen folks spend a lot of money to get the guitar into a tracking program. Mind you the guitar comes in at a clean setting of course. Your individual results may vary.

raynebc
11-03-2011, 08:54 AM
You could just as easily patch your guitar into a pedal/amp and plug the 1/4"->USB cable from the amp's headphone into your computer.

Derek5272
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Did you need to install any third-party drivers? I'm trying to use it with Audacity, but neither the program nor Windows detects it as a recording device. When I first plugged it in, it said it did not properly install device software, and in the Device Manager it has a yellow symbol over it, but when I try to do anything about it, I'm told I already have the most up to date driver.

EDIT: Persistence prevails where all else fails. Unplugged it (again) and it worked upon plugging it back in (...again).

TonyFarkas
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
It worked in Audacity for me, in the mic input section just be guitar adapter. Mine only worked when you press the record button.

mijodo
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I got it to work on Garage Band.

Zacasaur
11-09-2011, 02:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mijodo:
I got it to work on Garage Band. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Mac or iPad?

DeepDrummer
11-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Hey raynebc. True nuff. I have an amp with a USB out so that is what I generally use. I just thought I'd share the revelation. I didn't install anything new to get Reaper to work.
TonyFarkas. That's cool. I found audacity a bit lacking with my USB out from the amp. Nice to see you got it working for sure with the Rocksmith cable. That's a cool program (and free eh).
I ordered a second cable yesterday. Here's hoping it ships and arrives early. I bought a copy of the game for my wife's Grandaughter and her brother and sister. Rather than start a fight, I'll call it a hand me down. (especially since I opened the box and had to try the multiplayer by using their cable). I have to give it to them this week but I can confidently conclude that multiplayer is a whole lot of fun.

slayer402
11-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Just a note for the Linux users. I found that the RS cable also works great in Linux (was detected out of the box) with a combo of Jack & Guitarix or Rakarrack. Makes an awesome amp for those who might not be able to shill out the extra bucks. Can also be recorded with audacity just like in windows. Jack, Guitarix, Rakarrack & audacity are available in most distro repositories.

DrwhoGalefrie
11-09-2011, 06:41 AM
THAT'S COOL!!!!

Kemeros
11-09-2011, 07:47 AM
That's quite impressive to tell the truth. I'm even more shocked that it works on linux. Means they used very standard stuff.

Good work ubisoft! And whoever else is concerned by this brilliant product.

Zacasaur
11-09-2011, 10:12 PM
So what pc software do we know that this cable works with?

Hab_Fan
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Latency is the issue when connecting this way but I was able to address most of that by using ASIO drivers from http://www.asio4all.com. Most software like Reaper come with their own ASIO drivers and I found some of them don't perform as good as the ones available from that site. I've since moved onto hardware using a USB Audio interface although I should have gotten a firewire one instead. The USB picks up too much interference from other drivers causing clicks and crackles, really annoying.

Zacasaur
11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hab_Fan:
Latency is the issue when connecting this way but I was able to address most of that by using ASIO drivers from http://www.asio4all.com. Most software like Reaper come with their own ASIO drivers and I found some of them don't perform as good as the ones available from that site. I've since moved onto hardware using a USB Audio interface although I should have gotten a firewire one instead. The USB picks up too much interference from other drivers causing clicks and crackles, really annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this was a big help thanks much. This is my first guitar so take this with a grain of salt. I noticed no latency with Amplitude 3 after installing these drivers (before installing them it would not work properly a hiss would come out instead of sound). Then again I have an untrained ear. Again thanks Hab_Fan

JamesAtkinson
11-10-2011, 12:08 AM
The problem is that it comes in as a microphone device and the analog to USB digital transfer creates lag (which can be really bad if you're not using the ASIO drivers).

If you really want an inexpensive guitar interface check out Line6's POD line-up. I have a Pod GX. It's small, cheap, and works great with zero latency.