PDA

View Full Version : RADAR?

ottoramsaig
02-20-2007, 06:10 AM
It seems like my radar works fine in port. However it will not detect any ships at sea. Actually ran into a destroyer T-Bone style that sank my sub. I made the fatal mistake of getting a cup of coffee and leaving my crew with full watch posted alone for 3 minutes. I heard and loud crashing and crushing sound from the wolf den. Rushing in to the room, I found my crew at panic stations with critical flooding, hitting the period key to find U97 sticking out of the side of a Clemenson. Does this radar actually work for anyone?

ottoramsaig
02-20-2007, 06:10 AM
It seems like my radar works fine in port. However it will not detect any ships at sea. Actually ran into a destroyer T-Bone style that sank my sub. I made the fatal mistake of getting a cup of coffee and leaving my crew with full watch posted alone for 3 minutes. I heard and loud crashing and crushing sound from the wolf den. Rushing in to the room, I found my crew at panic stations with critical flooding, hitting the period key to find U97 sticking out of the side of a Clemenson. Does this radar actually work for anyone?

demigod151
02-20-2007, 07:50 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

My boat is called U-97 too! Hope thats not a bad omen.

Depends on what Radar set you have. The very first Radar system that was put on the VIIc was very poor. It could only detect targets through a range of a mere 20 degrees in front of the boat. 10 degees to port and 10 degrees to Starboard.

It did pick up targets as I had one on stock game in rough seas it was very unreliable and often would just simply get knocked off, my advice don't waster the renown on it, wait till the improved version which can rotate through 360 degrees becomes available.

One thing to warn you about is, the allies had radar warning receivers before the Germans did, so when your rader is turned on the allies could actually estimate pretty accurately where the signal originated from.

I wouldn't actually bother with using a radar system till the better ones become a available as till the better radar systems became available the hydrophone was still the tops when it came to locating targets and threats.

Foehammer-1
02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I would also like to point out that if you atre gonna hunt for Arctic convoys during the polar winter (perpetual night) a good radar is a must. There are no allied planes, and destroyers will not usually leave a convoy to check out a radar contact. So if you know the enemy is close, do a single sweep yourself, don't rely on the operator, he seems to be blind and deaf about 70% of the time. Or you can dive and use the hydrophone.... I usually don't bother

ottoramsaig
02-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the quick response folks. I will try and head north perhaps AE11

dsheerin
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
When did the allies start putting radar on their destroyers?

I just started a career in '39 and a few of the destroyers' i've come across have had radar gear installed. Is this just a glitch in the model ling ?

demigod151
02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
From about September 1941 was when they began trying it out mounting it on a ship.

dsheerin
02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
thats what I thought. So I suppose its a game glitch that the models are showing radar antennae?

[]_---_[] KITT
02-20-2007, 10:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ottoramsaig:
It seems like my radar works fine in port. However it will not detect any ships at sea. Actually ran into a destroyer T-Bone style that sank my sub. I made the fatal mistake of getting a cup of coffee and leaving my crew with full watch posted alone for 3 minutes. I heard and loud crashing and crushing sound from the wolf den. Rushing in to the room, I found my crew at panic stations with critical flooding, hitting the period key to find U97 sticking out of the side of a Clemenson. Does this radar actually work for anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that sucks. But offer a genuine insight: Pause the game while leaving.

Using radar can work against you if the enemy can detect your radar emmision and home in on it. Be careful

ottoramsaig
02-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks Folks, demigod don't sweat the repeat of U numbers, I used U97 for the 4th Flotilla. My SH4 boat number will be 297 the USS Ling. I am going to lock it in as soon as I get my pre-order.