PDA

View Full Version : Beland PAX09 interview (G4)

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Beland PAX09 Interview (http://g4tv.com/videos/41495/Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Maxime-Beland-PAX-09-Interview/)

In this interview Max discusses objective text projected on the environment, stealth (how he's changed it), sound, and overall gameplay.

I think this as fantastic and in-depth interview explaining his feelings on the previous games and on the newer features him and his team offer in Conviction. Yes, his feelings may be subjective, but I do believe the game is taking a step in the right direction.

Check it out, give some feedback, let me know your thoughts.

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Beland PAX09 Interview (http://g4tv.com/videos/41495/Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Maxime-Beland-PAX-09-Interview/)

In this interview Max discusses objective text projected on the environment, stealth (how he's changed it), sound, and overall gameplay.

I think this as fantastic and in-depth interview explaining his feelings on the previous games and on the newer features him and his team offer in Conviction. Yes, his feelings may be subjective, but I do believe the game is taking a step in the right direction.

Check it out, give some feedback, let me know your thoughts.

Mr.E.Bear
03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Haven't watched it yet, hope he uses the words panther, super, and frustration!

mateus99
03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
sorry man i have already seen it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif but yes i think the games direction is solid and pretty good i would like to see how it ends http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif enyway i have high hopes for the game

J Saint777
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
PAX09? Yeesh.

I think we all discussed this video in like, September 2009.

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.E.Bear:
Haven't watched it yet, hope he uses the words panther, super, and grandma! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2 out of three lol
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mateus99:
sorry man i have already seen it but yes i think the games direction is solid and pretty good i would like to see how it ends enyway i have high hopes for the game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good man, I can't wait to see this game on my 42' panasonic plasma, instead on my computer screen haha
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSaint777:
PAX09? Yeesh.

I think we all discussed this video in like, September 2009. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to be rude man, I've never seen it, and I've seen almost every vieo out there. Sorry to dissapoint. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Versus-Mroj
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
WoW... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

New for me...

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Versus-Mroj:
WoW... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

New for me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! good man...what'd youthink about his direction and answers to Adam's questions?

Maxy239
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
it won't load for me, can anybody pull it off and reupload it please? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
http://g4tv.com/videos/41495/S...nd-PAX-09-Interview/ (http://g4tv.com/videos/41495/Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Maxime-Beland-PAX-09-Interview/)

Maxy239
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
nooo, i mean that it loads the page put the video stays black and won't play. thanks for the quick response though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Hmm sometimes that happens with videos. If you want to see any one of these numerous videos, go to google, click the videos tab and search for maxime beland interview...

Aveelo
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maxy239:
nooo, i mean that it loads the page put the video stays black and won't play. thanks for the quick response though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Video On Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_W2MY7aWEo)

AGENTxxxxx47
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
2:55 in the video "there's allot of stealth games out there forcing the stealth on the player making you feel weak and slow"-Beland

WOW I'm speechless, I guess if football games force football on the player whe gotta reinvent football.

This guy wow...I mean just WOW

First Grandma comments , then the stealth ratings at the end of the game, then the goggle comments, then the batman comments

AirborneRedneck
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Why does he sound so immature? He's like 40 right? Damn.

MarchingOn
03-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Awesome vid! Thx 4 posting.

sammyboy1981
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
If it's alright I'd like to start a thread concerning a video I "found" from last year's E3...

Seriously though, we get it Beland...you don't like stealth.

ACE11567
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Cool, thanks man

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry everyone, I thought it was a new video.

Joshua Morrison
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Na it's pretty old, just like Belend IMO "I wanted to put panther sounds in the game!"

sumoaltus
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah I saw that too, he was kidding about the panther sounds I think though lol

Joshua Morrison
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sumoaltus:
Yeah I saw that too, he was kidding about the panther sounds I think though lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol I don't think he was joking I think he might of realized later down the road it was a bad idea or the sound director told him it was a bad idea.

savior2006
03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sumoaltus:
Yeah I saw that too, he was kidding about the panther sounds I think though lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think so. That's all Beland ever talks about is panthers and predators. I think he's suffering from a repressed childhood of wanting to be some predatory animal that ripped another animal's face off, and now he's taking it out on Splinter Cell. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Maxy239
03-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks a lot Aveelo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

Aveelo
03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maxy239:
Thanks a lot Aveelo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

np

Pacer1988
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I like it when people on here make fun of Beland for using the word super alot, as if people who make fun of it dont have a word they use too much...coz everybody does.

Dagio12
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
that was new for me.. so thanks.

i pretty much know his thoughts on the game at this point but i did like the talk about difficulty settings. it seems that the harder difficulty will be more then just how many bullets you can take. a lot of people have questioned that for a while, but it seems that on harder modes the AI will react faster and better, and they will be able to detect you much easier. I hope all that is true as it will create more realism and i think force more players to be patient and stealthy to be more successful. HERES HOPING

Yabab_2
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I hadn't seen this interview, very interesting. I like how he developed on the difficulty settings and etc.

sumoaltus
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, thanks. Yeah I'm glad to see that he's working on the realism and difficulty on the gameplay, that's fantastic.

Dephkt
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm glad to see that he's working on the realism and difficulty on the gameplay, that's fantastic. /sarcasm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sumoaltus
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
? Okay.

The thing that makes me laugh the most is this. Out of all of the posts I've read, it seems as if the so called "loyal Splinter Cellers" think they're smarter than those who actually like the idea of this new direction.

Psh, I love DA and the previous games, and I happen to be a huge fan and supporter of the series. But apparently I'm not as smart as those who don't like this new direction.

Dephkt
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
? Okay.

The thing that makes me laugh the most is this. Out of all of the posts I've read, it seems as if the so called "loyal Splinter Cellers" think they're smarter than those who actually like the idea of this new direction.

Psh, I love DA and the previous games, and I happen to be a huge fan and supporter of the series. But apparently I'm not as smart as those who don't like this new direction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is, a lot of the older fans of the series loved it because it was a semi-realistic game that required thinking, or at the very least trial and error. You could play the missions using interesting gadgets or without alerting a single guard - hence, ghosting. The characters coincided with their personalities of previous games, and it was overall a very solid series.

The thing about SC:C is that, while they say you can play most situations stealthily, you don't have the abilities of the past. Gone is the whistling, the lock picking, hacking, dragging bodies - it's just a shallow reincarnation of the past games. Furthermore, they've completely messed with the plot and characters, turning it into a Hollywood script for the masses with little regard for what made the series great. I have absolutely no problem with making the series more accessible to the masses, so they can share the love for the series that I have, but there is no reason to disregard the stealth side of the game.

The same can be said for Rainbow Six, the older (true) Tom Clancy titles were difficult and very rewarding, requiring planning for the various missions. Rainbow Six Vegas (a la Beland) introduced regenerating health, less control over your team, very little planning (if any) - so, while it was fun, it was nothing like the series was supposed to be - and that's exactly what Splinter Cell is becoming.

RaulO4
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dephkt:
? Okay.

Psh, I love DA and the previous games, and I happen to be a huge fan and supporter of the series. But apparently I'm not as smart as those who don't like this new direction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is, a lot of the older fans of the series loved it because it was a semi-realistic game that required thinking, or at the very least trial and error. You could play the missions using interesting gadgets or without alerting a single guard - hence, ghosting. The characters coincided with their personalities of previous games, and it was overall a very solid series.

The thing about SC:C is that, while they say you can play most situations stealthily, you don't have the abilities of the past. Gone is the whistling, the lock picking, hacking, dragging bodies - it's just a shallow reincarnation of the past games. Furthermore, they've completely messed with the plot and characters, turning it into a Hollywood script for the masses with little regard for what made the series great. I have absolutely no problem with making the series more accessible to the masses, so they can share the love for the series that I have, but there is no reason to disregard the stealth side of the game.

The same can be said for Rainbow Six, the older (true) Tom Clancy titles were difficult and very rewarding, requiring planning for the various missions. Rainbow Six Vegas introduced regenerating health, less control over your team, very little planning (if any) - so, while it was fun, it was nothing like the series was supposed to be - and that's exactly what Splinter Cell is becoming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>agree

they could have had the stealth from ct which was just done and improved it
then add the action that conviction now holds

but now the only stealth it has is the basic that even MF2,halo3,gta4,uncharted 2,,,,,,and more more that action has.

I'm buying this game because this should be Sam last mission
but not sc6 its not the game i played.
I already have many action games to choose from.

plus if Sam back in sc6 and its base after scc I'll be mad
because oldman(60) years old now no

i think Sc6 need to have stealth from ct/improved stealth.

let me add this L&S ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY TO STEALTH

EX.
MGS3 Snake eater

Camo system rocks and shold be in sc to expand its stealth.

another EX.
MGS4

Camo plus L&S

you can have a 80% rating on you camo but when move to shadow you get a bonus like now its 90%

and an other way to expand was to move Sam from indoors too outdoors....OMG &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;something new to this game that has not be done before.
and i don't mean those mission from sc
that was just like indoors mission.

now have the action put in for those others

and you have a game that both holds old fans and new comers.

theirs only a few stealth games out there and now we are down to 3-4 stealth games.

where the action just got a unneeded action to add to the list.
well IMO ^^^^^^^^^^ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sumoaltus
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I will definitely agree with you guys in saying that the new Rainbow Six games are complete garbage. No planning, just shooting. If you read Rainbow Six by Mr. Clancy, It's nothing even close to Vegas 1&2.

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
? Okay.

I don't think anyone's questioned your intelligence at all. People have just questioned the points and reason behind your arguments, some of which have been incorrect.

I will definitely agree with you guys in saying that the new Rainbow Six games are complete garbage. No planning, just shooting. If you read Rainbow Six by Mr. Clancy, It's nothing even close to Vegas 1&2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you think that same team being in charge of developing Splinter Cell is going to produce a different result?

sumoaltus
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo:
? Okay.

I don't think anyone's questioned your intelligence at all. People have just questioned the points and reason behind your arguments, some of which have been incorrect.

I will definitely agree with you guys in saying that the new Rainbow Six games are complete garbage. No planning, just shooting. If you read Rainbow Six by Mr. Clancy, It's nothing even close to Vegas 1&2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you think that same team being in charge of developing Splinter Cell is going to produce a different result? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's hope they don't misinterpret the core principals of SC. I don't think they did, why would they make the same mistake twice?

I'm sure they've seen plenty of feedback from fans saying that the game is terrible

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I doubt it.

I'd say they saw the high sales numbers and the big reviews calling it "the greatest shooter ever" from the mainstream gaming media, who don't know their arse from their elbow, and I'm pretty sure they thought they did a fantastic job.

They had brought Rainbow Six to the mainstream by removing the hampering, bulky tactics and planning approach and made it a sleek, sexy run and gun shooter that a wider audience could enjoy.

The exact same thing is happening with Splinter Cell and it's being done by (almost) the exact same team.

Dagio12
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dephkt:
? Okay.

The same can be said for Rainbow Six, the older (true) Tom Clancy titles were difficult and very rewarding, requiring planning for the various missions. Rainbow Six Vegas (a la Beland) introduced regenerating health, less control over your team, very little planning (if any) - so, while it was fun, it was nothing like the series was supposed to be - and that's exactly what Splinter Cell is becoming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although i agree with you on certain small points and i know that it wont be 100% the same as the old games without the hacking and carrying of bodies and such, i think that some people were just pointing out the difficulty issue that a lot of people talk about. how easy the game seems to be and how the AI seems dumbed down, taking away realism and taking away the patience, thinking, and planning aspect of the previous games and how you can just run around a shoot with hardly any accountability for not being smart and stealthy. ( and let me just point out that on the previous games, on easy, and using your guns and gadgets, the games were pretty easy too...) but anyways. now we are kinda told that the harder difficulty settings may be a lot more then just taking less bullets to die.( this is the first that ive actually heard that the difficulty setting may be more in depth then we might have been lead to believe).. this could lead to needing to be smart, patient, stealthy.. playing the game more intelligently if you want to succeed on the realistic mode and if you want to just run around and shoot... you may not be so lucky.

now im not saying this will be the case or its 100% confirmed.. but its some decent info that if true maybe a really good thing for those who want a challenge and some more realism. if the guards are more sensitive to detect sam.. and react faster and better.. then we may not be able to get away with whatever we want and there may be a little more incentive to be sneaky.

now im not really a lightsider nor am i a darksider.. i just enjoy splinter cell games and am trying hard to look at it very subjectively. its just frustrating when reading these forums that when we learn new info that may disprove what some people think, we have some of those people that just seem to belittle other peoples opinion by making crude sarcastic remarks instead of insightful arguments. Im not trying to start a war or argue with anyone and I dont think any one group ( lightsiders/ darksiders) is to blame... ive seen it on both sides. sorry for the rant. and although i dont share your opinion all the way, i can appreciate your opinion and why you arent to keen on this new direction.

time for work.

Cyrus.H
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RaulO4:
? Okay.

The same can be said for Rainbow Six, the older (true) Tom Clancy titles were difficult and very rewarding, requiring planning for the various missions. Rainbow Six Vegas introduced regenerating health, less control over your team, very little planning (if any) - so, while it was fun, it was nothing like the series was supposed to be - and that's exactly what Splinter Cell is becoming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>agree

they could have had the stealth from ct which was just done and improved it
then add the action that conviction now holds

but now the only stealth it has is the basic that even MF2,halo3,gta4,uncharted 2,,,,,,and more more that action has.

I'm buying this game because this should be Sam last mission
but not sc6 its not the game i played.
I already have many action games to choose from.

plus if Sam back in sc6 and its base after scc I'll be mad
because oldman(60) years old now no

i think Sc6 need to have stealth from ct/improved stealth.

let me add this L&S ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY TO STEALTH

EX.
MGS3 Snake eater

Camo system rocks and shold be in sc to expand its stealth.

another EX.
MGS4

Camo plus L&S

you can have a 80% rating on you camo but when move to shadow you get a bonus like now its 90%

and an other way to expand was to move Sam from indoors too outdoors....OMG &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;something new to this game that has not be done before.
and i don't mean those mission from sc
that was just like indoors mission.

now have the action put in for those others

and you have a game that both holds old fans and new comers.

theirs only a few stealth games out there and now we are down to 3-4 stealth games.

where the action just got a unneeded action to add to the list.
well IMO ^^^^^^^^^^ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh man, a Splinter Cell game based around Fisher in his Navy SEAL years that involved relying on camouflage in an outdoors environment instead of light and shadow in a secret enemy base would be epic!

It would be the Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater of the series. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

RaulO4
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Cyrus ^^^^^ great idea

but it should not remove the L&S
but there you go he found a way to add camo in to this series...and thats was one guy lol.

and it would be pretty cool if you had to survive in the woods
like most of your gear need to be found on site
but since this is not MGS you cant bring all the gear you have instead you have to choose your gear

and leave the rest in spots....

all and all the point is that Cyrus idea was something new to this series and its still a stealth game...