PDA

View Full Version : Developer Q&A #1

QuidProKuo
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
We asked you for your questions to the devs and you gave us a tremendous reply. Here's the first batch of answers straight from the dev team! Now, before you say, "hey, where's my question?" I should point out that more answers are coming. This is just the first batch.

Keep sending in your questions and thanks for the great response so far.

-QPK

Developer Q&A #1

1. Is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up just Super Smash Brothers Brawl with a Turtles skin?

A. TMNT: Smash-Up is a Wii brawler, so of course it has some similarities with Super Smash Bros Brawl. As you already know, the game is developed by the Japanese studio GameArts, who also worked on Super Smash Bros Brawl. But apart from this common lineage, TMNT SU includes many specificities that make it a very different game from SSBB.

There’s the TMNT universe setting, the interactivity of the arenas, the different gameplay mechanics such as the way it handles ring outs /health bar balance, special Ninja powers, specific moves and combos that are launched through attack buttons plus all directions (compared to 4 directions in SSBB), the Arcade mode also works very differently from the SSBB story mode.

2.Any chance those of us with PS3's are going to get a new TMNT game too?

A. Currently we’re only focusing on the Wii version of TMNT: Smash-Up, in order to concentrate our efforts & deliver the best possible experience.

3. How will the combos work, will it be more like Smash bros or Tekken?

A. More like Smash Bros. in that you’ll be free to try to hit them with whatever you want rather than having specific moves that only chain together. However, there are obviously moves that chain well together, and those that don’t. There are also some guaranteed hits which most players will find quickly.

4. Similar to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, will single-player modes have several non-playable boss characters?

A.There are boss characters that can be unlocked after you defeat them in the Arcade mode.

5. Will there be objective-oriented minigames, or small games within the game?

A. There are a number of objective-oriented mini-games that pop-up during the Arcade mode. Once these are unlocked they will be available to play from the main menu. These include dodging kunai (ninja stars), collecting as many pizzas through a level in a selected time limit, speed trials for climbing a stage a high as well, etc..

6. Will story modes contain a separate cut-scene and ending for each characters or is it a single-based story?

A.There are separate cut-scenes for each character in the game, complete with their own endings.

7. How will the story modes be presented - Animatic style with voiceover/Motion Comics or CG animated cinematic (pre-render or in-game models)?

A. The story modes will be conveyed via original comics drawn by Jim Lawson, the TMNT Comic-book artist, with voice acting by many of the stars from the TMNT animated series.

8. Besides different "special" moves and range, will the characters have different abilities or special properties that make them more unique from the others (e.g. ability to move faster than other characters, ability to jump higher than other characters, ability to jump more times than other characters, etc.)?

A. Each character has been designed to be unique in the way they’re played. Elements such as range and seed all come into play. For example, Donatello will have longer range in his attacks than Raphael, while Raphael will be faster than Donatello. Also, characters will all have different attacks & special moves.

9. When characters grab an edge, are they invincible for very long? In Smash Brothers, players were able to exploit the invincibility time given when grabbing the edge to avoid fighting their opponent.

A. You are not invincible when hanging off a ledge. This is because the matches have a much smaller focus on ring-outs. There are still ring-outs in some stages, such as Manhattan, but some other levels are more about defeating your opponents through combat.

10. In an IGN preview of the game, there is a statement "blocking too much puts you in a vulnerable state". What does that mean exactly? Do they mean that you will be penalized for blocking too much (like the dizzy from your shield breaking in Smash) or do they just mean that you are vulnerable to throws and unblockable attacks even when blocking?

A. Blocking does put you in a vulnerable state leaving you open for opponents throw attacks. Players also have the ability to dodge moves (roll or move out of the way) which not only avoids a hit but leaves your opponent open for an attack. This comes in very handy and is very important for skilled players.

11. Further on blocking: how does the blocking system work? Are there low or high blocks or just one block? Can you block attacks targeted toward the back of your character?

A. There’s just one general block, blocking is blocking.

QuidProKuo
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
We asked you for your questions to the devs and you gave us a tremendous reply. Here's the first batch of answers straight from the dev team! Now, before you say, "hey, where's my question?" I should point out that more answers are coming. This is just the first batch.

Keep sending in your questions and thanks for the great response so far.

-QPK

Developer Q&A #1

1. Is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up just Super Smash Brothers Brawl with a Turtles skin?

A. TMNT: Smash-Up is a Wii brawler, so of course it has some similarities with Super Smash Bros Brawl. As you already know, the game is developed by the Japanese studio GameArts, who also worked on Super Smash Bros Brawl. But apart from this common lineage, TMNT SU includes many specificities that make it a very different game from SSBB.

There’s the TMNT universe setting, the interactivity of the arenas, the different gameplay mechanics such as the way it handles ring outs /health bar balance, special Ninja powers, specific moves and combos that are launched through attack buttons plus all directions (compared to 4 directions in SSBB), the Arcade mode also works very differently from the SSBB story mode.

2.Any chance those of us with PS3's are going to get a new TMNT game too?

A. Currently we’re only focusing on the Wii version of TMNT: Smash-Up, in order to concentrate our efforts & deliver the best possible experience.

3. How will the combos work, will it be more like Smash bros or Tekken?

A. More like Smash Bros. in that you’ll be free to try to hit them with whatever you want rather than having specific moves that only chain together. However, there are obviously moves that chain well together, and those that don’t. There are also some guaranteed hits which most players will find quickly.

4. Similar to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, will single-player modes have several non-playable boss characters?

A.There are boss characters that can be unlocked after you defeat them in the Arcade mode.

5. Will there be objective-oriented minigames, or small games within the game?

A. There are a number of objective-oriented mini-games that pop-up during the Arcade mode. Once these are unlocked they will be available to play from the main menu. These include dodging kunai (ninja stars), collecting as many pizzas through a level in a selected time limit, speed trials for climbing a stage a high as well, etc..

6. Will story modes contain a separate cut-scene and ending for each characters or is it a single-based story?

A.There are separate cut-scenes for each character in the game, complete with their own endings.

7. How will the story modes be presented - Animatic style with voiceover/Motion Comics or CG animated cinematic (pre-render or in-game models)?

A. The story modes will be conveyed via original comics drawn by Jim Lawson, the TMNT Comic-book artist, with voice acting by many of the stars from the TMNT animated series.

8. Besides different "special" moves and range, will the characters have different abilities or special properties that make them more unique from the others (e.g. ability to move faster than other characters, ability to jump higher than other characters, ability to jump more times than other characters, etc.)?

A. Each character has been designed to be unique in the way they’re played. Elements such as range and seed all come into play. For example, Donatello will have longer range in his attacks than Raphael, while Raphael will be faster than Donatello. Also, characters will all have different attacks & special moves.

9. When characters grab an edge, are they invincible for very long? In Smash Brothers, players were able to exploit the invincibility time given when grabbing the edge to avoid fighting their opponent.

A. You are not invincible when hanging off a ledge. This is because the matches have a much smaller focus on ring-outs. There are still ring-outs in some stages, such as Manhattan, but some other levels are more about defeating your opponents through combat.

10. In an IGN preview of the game, there is a statement "blocking too much puts you in a vulnerable state". What does that mean exactly? Do they mean that you will be penalized for blocking too much (like the dizzy from your shield breaking in Smash) or do they just mean that you are vulnerable to throws and unblockable attacks even when blocking?

A. Blocking does put you in a vulnerable state leaving you open for opponents throw attacks. Players also have the ability to dodge moves (roll or move out of the way) which not only avoids a hit but leaves your opponent open for an attack. This comes in very handy and is very important for skilled players.

11. Further on blocking: how does the blocking system work? Are there low or high blocks or just one block? Can you block attacks targeted toward the back of your character?

A. There’s just one general block, blocking is blocking.

TurtleFreak
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Hooray! Looking forward to the rest of the Q&As. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

shinigamihedge
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Q&A looks pretty good! I guess somebody listened to my "NEWS!" freak out earlier today, heheh. :P j/k.

Can't wait for the next piece of Q&A.

MegaKrang
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Sweet, thanks for info. Anticipating the next set!

FalconSuxNBrawl
08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Cool.

You answered a good bit of my questions. Thanks QPK and Ubi guys, I like this update. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I especially like the answer to the combo system. A little more free-form it seems. Nice.

quino711
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
thnks for the info.
cant wait to see more !!

the answer to question number 4 might be interesting =) hope we get the bosses im thinking of http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

DOS_Turtle
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
@shinigamihedge:
i thought the same thing, somebody listened to your outcry for news ^^

JBG1986
08-03-2009, 04:24 PM
By guaranteed hits do they mean unblockables?

SNTB1988
08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Judging by the cutscenes displayed in "Developers diary part 1" the arcade mode may be longer than ur average arcade modes found it street fighter and stuff which makes me ponder if theres more to this Arcade mode than just "stage 1, VS this fighter, or stage 2, vs this fighter." hearing that we're gonna see alternate cutscenes for each turtle sounds awesome! Its the same story but diff cutscenes depending on which character you choose! Can't wait to play the story mode!

TMNTLVR07
08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Good first questions and answers. Looking forward to many more. I can't wait to play this game! It's going to be awesome!

kor31
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Good! And TMNT re-shelled is awesome, leatherhead is ultra charismatic and shredder too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So good job Ubisoft!

LeonardoSama
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Is there any chance we would see a more mature Turtles game, more like an adaption of the Mirage Comic Series in game form? I think that its something that die hard Turtles fans have been wanting for a long long time. I know I can speak for a lot of the fans when I say a fully opened world turtles game is long over due. If you combined Assassins Creed with Ninja Turtles you would get one amazing game. Just being able to go from the turtles lair to the street to the rooftops would be amazing. Being able to climb on anything run from rooftop to rooftop would finally give you the feeling of being a true ninja turtle. Not to mention being able to train with master splinter or your brothers in the dojo when you unlock new moves. Please I heed you to hear the cries of the die hard turtles fans and release a more mature turtles game.

Also is there any chance you guys would release a complete Ninja Turtles Video Game Collection? From Arcade to Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Gameboy Sega. All original versions complete with loads of unlockables etc? You could leave off the 4 newer Konami home console games those were horrible.

DOS_Turtle
08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
oh yeah, an open world turtle game would be awesome!

i mean the possibilities are there. we had quite some games that show it, e. g. in spider-man 3 you could even enter the sewers. doing that (in a better way of course) in a turtles game would make more sense http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

oh and yes, please no kid stuff. as the new movie is based on the comics i WOULD say "release such a game alongside the new movie" but i WON'T say it, as licence games that need to be done when a movie comes out are always unfinished and, in most of the cases, are horrible.

MetaYoshi007
08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DOS_Turtle:
oh yeah, an open world turtle game would be awesome!

i mean the possibilities are there. we had quite some games that show it, e. g. in spider-man 3 you could even enter the sewers. doing that (in a better way of course) in a turtles game would make more sense http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

oh and yes, please no kid stuff. as the new movie is based on the comics i WOULD say "release such a game alongside the new movie" but i WON'T say it, as licence games that need to be done when a movie comes out are always unfinished and, in most of the cases, are horrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi i have to say b.s. on that. Watch kung fu panda and then play the ps2 version of the game. Sure it's not the best...but it's pretty damn good.

DOS_Turtle
08-08-2009, 03:01 AM
b.s.? what's that? can i eat it? ^^

referring to the kungfu panda thing:
well of course there are good movie games, if you look closely you will see that i said "...in most of the cases, are horrible".

shinigamihedge
08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Movie games tend to be horrible because of the ridiculously short deadline between the movie release and the same year's summer/holidays deadline for the game.

That's why they always end up rushed and terrible.

I haven't played TMNT though. I don't know if I will.. I tend not to play movie games because I KNOW what will happen either way, if I saw the movie.

DOS_Turtle
08-08-2009, 12:26 PM
yes, that with the short deadline is what i was saying. a movie game goes fine by me, if the developers could finally decide to not launch it with the movie. of course the hype will be the biggest at the relase of a movie, but there also will be a DVD release.

if developers wouldn't count that much on all the dollars, they would say "if fans are out there, being made by the movie and stuff, they'll wait a little for the game" but instead they probably always think "maybe they even haven't seen the movie or have seen it and are still hyped by it so we gotta sell it right now to make lots of cash! bling bling!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

blackandblue85
08-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I dislike the fact that the Smash Up Combo system is just like the SB games. There's actually no combos of any kind in that game except for Matrh's over + B and the A, A, A combo. If you call getting launched in the air and trying to fight but can't a combo, that's not even close. Being that almost everyone is welding a weapon in the game, you would think that the combo system would resemble Soulcalibur's. It's disappointing.

Frettchen1988
08-17-2009, 04:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blackandblue85:
I dislike the fact that the Smash Up Combo system is just like the SB games. There's actually no combos of any kind in that game except for Matrh's over + B and the A, A, A combo. If you call getting launched in the air and trying to fight but can't a combo, that's not even close. Being that almost everyone is welding a weapon in the game, you would think that the combo system would resemble Soulcalibur's. It's disappointing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having a combo system like the Smash Bros. series isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can be very creative with your characters abilitys and moves if done correctly and may figure out something new every once in a while, which I deem to be more fun than doing the same dial up combos every match.

Also, there are combos throughout the whole Smash Bros. series. Even in Brawl(though there aren't that many of them in Brawl and they are rather simple and short). Brawl is kind off a black sheep in the series gameplayvise in terms of speed and combos. SSB and SSBM both had many possible combos to offer.

We also haven't seen much of the characters moves in the videos. Up until now most of the videos schow people mashing the same standard combo over and over again with 1or2 special moves thrown in randomly. You can hardly judge the potential of the game in terms of combos that way. Especially if we havn't even played the game ourselves. In addition to that, it was said in the third answer, that some moves chain well together and that guaranteed hits do exist in the game, which means there will be combos in the game.

DOS_Turtle
08-17-2009, 06:07 AM
yeah i find it a little odd to judge something complex like the fighting or combo system without having put a single hand on the game.

furthermore i agree with frettchen1988 that i prefer a simple fighting system like smash bros you can build your own tricks with. i'm not a person who'll sit down and learn all the combos of my favourit characters (or even better of every single character) to fight a good match. that's not what a video game is to me. believe me, i am far away from being a 'casual gamer', but i think i am not the only gamer out there who thinks that a game should be easy to get into. so once you have gotten into that easyness you can start pulling off tricks like there already are in smash bros. (or even the edging thing in simple games like mario kart).