PDA

View Full Version : Help with the correct mod for me, please help.

bluicedownunder
08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I have spent the last few hours surfing thru all the mods trying to find what I'm looking for and I thought I would resort to throwing the question out to u guys.

I like the War Ace mod but am not keen on downloading 2 parts at over 1gb just for the select few features I'm after.

And they are;
- I love the thought of task groups battling between each other making the world more realistic and not relying on ur actions to change the environment around you, (just sit back let them hammer each other then come in and pick up the scraps)
- I like the thought of being able to actually get the german planes to back you up with air cover, thats great too.
- And traveling ships back and forth from harbours, not just spotting them on patrols.

Ur help would be greatly appreciated.

bluicedownunder
08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I have spent the last few hours surfing thru all the mods trying to find what I'm looking for and I thought I would resort to throwing the question out to u guys.

I like the War Ace mod but am not keen on downloading 2 parts at over 1gb just for the select few features I'm after.

And they are;
- I love the thought of task groups battling between each other making the world more realistic and not relying on ur actions to change the environment around you, (just sit back let them hammer each other then come in and pick up the scraps)
- I like the thought of being able to actually get the german planes to back you up with air cover, thats great too.
- And traveling ships back and forth from harbours, not just spotting them on patrols.

Ur help would be greatly appreciated.

bluicedownunder
08-29-2007, 12:37 AM
any1 please?

AtlantikEel
08-29-2007, 01:34 AM
GWX.
It's worth the download time (Current version is 1.03, with 1.04 in the works).

By the way, German planes back you up depending on:
1. The proximatey of Luftwaffe bases.
2. A factor built in to SH3:
(pathway is ProgramFiles/Ubisoft/SilentHunter3/Data/Cfg/Airstrike,
and opens with wordpad, notepad or Microsoft Office Word)
; 1. Compute airbases in range according to their aircraft maximum ranges
; 2. Compute air coverage factors on allies/axis/neutral on the target zone
; 3. Compute airstrike probability from each base
; 3.1 check number of aircraft that can strike at that range and conditions, and compute a coverage factor based on the range of each aircraft type
; and detection area around submarine ( 10 km radius )
; 3.2 multiply coverage factor for the target area with :
; - current airstrike probability againt that side
; - nigft factor ( if necessary )
; - airbase competence
; - close to airbase factor
; 3.3 check probability for airstrike
; 3.4 add more aircraft probabilistically for a large target

Maximum Aircraft Range=2000 ;[>0] in kilometers
Poor Airbase Modifier=0.2 ;[>0] Modifier for poor airbase (carrier) rating
Novice Airbase Modifier=0.6 ;[>0] Modifier for novice airbase (carrier) rating
Competent Airbase Modifier=1.4 ;[>0] Modifier for competent airbase (carrier) rating
Veteran Airbase Modifier=2.4 ;[>0] Modifier for veteran airbase (carrier) rating
Elite Airbase Modifier=3.0 ;[>0] Modifier for elite airbase (carrier) rating
Night Modifier=0.2 ;[>0] Modifier on strike probability at night
Default Air Strike Probability=35 ;[>0] Default probability to send an airstrike from a airbase (carrier)
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Radio Messages Sent=25 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a radio message sent
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=50 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on a contact message sent
Enemy Air Strike Probability Increase on Player Detection=40 ;[>0] Increase over the default probability on player detection
Atenuation Factor=10 ;[>0] decrease from an increased probability to default one on each air session
Logic Steps Between Air Sessions=20 ;[>0] steps between air fighting sessions, 10*Logic Interval(90sec)

Note:
Friendly Air Strike Probability Increase on Contact Report Sent=50

It may be possible to increase the airstrike probability by increasing the value "50" to, say, "75" ...... but back up your file first!

bluicedownunder
08-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Thank you very much for that detailed answer, champion

danurve
08-29-2007, 07:28 AM
What ever mod you decide upon your going to have to deal with download time. And then when new releases come out, doing it all over again.

AtlantikEel is correct about the Luftwaffe airpower. I have seen them finish off my targets, attack ships before I can finish them off, observed them attack convoys, watched them miss, attack less worthy targets, all that jazz.

I like War Ace because of the action, battles, task forces, scenerios, etc. It is quite brilliant. It has alot of harbour traffic, almost to much even on a 256 card it's a job. You can still sink a ship with your deck-gun in War Ace without having to spend 100 rounds and needing to hit below the waterline. Your ship/target ID isn't messed with either. All a matter of taste really.

I was going to suggest if harbout traffic and air power is all your after to look into harbour_traffic 147, while not a supermod it's details are impressive.

ricbar89
08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Is it possible to just select certain parts of a mod, like if i were to download war aces of could i just have harbor traffic, task force battles and historical events?

AtlantikEel
08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricbar89:
Is it possible to just select certain parts of a mod, like if i were to download war aces of could i just have harbor traffic, task force battles and historical events? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With GWX and JSGME mod installer from Jonesoft you can install/uninstall specific mods (any GWX compatable community mods that you want) at will; GWX has a few optional mods built in.
I don't know about the other supermods.

Two Stukas once saved me from depthcharging (GWX 1.03) in the English Channel during the Battle of Britain, so the Luftwaffe can be useful in this game!