PDA

View Full Version : Make the game play nice with Windows' security model

toadlife2
01-02-2006, 04:36 AM
My suggestion: Step into the 21st century and make the game compatible with Windows' security model.

The game keeps settings in the game directory, which if installed in the default program files dirrectory is not modifyable by users who aren't administrators. Also the cdkey data is kept in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Again, an area where only admins can write to.

Users like myself who run our computers as limited users for security reasons are constantly having to tweak security settings to run software like far cry. There is no reason why a program can't be written to keep user settings in the appropriate areas of the OS.

If the game stored the game settings in "Documents and Settings\username\" and the CD Key info in "HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software", it runs just fine for regular users.

toadlife2
01-02-2006, 04:36 AM
My suggestion: Step into the 21st century and make the game compatible with Windows' security model.

The game keeps settings in the game directory, which if installed in the default program files dirrectory is not modifyable by users who aren't administrators. Also the cdkey data is kept in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Again, an area where only admins can write to.

Users like myself who run our computers as limited users for security reasons are constantly having to tweak security settings to run software like far cry. There is no reason why a program can't be written to keep user settings in the appropriate areas of the OS.

If the game stored the game settings in "Documents and Settings\username\" and the CD Key info in "HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software", it runs just fine for regular users.

ninjadave87
05-26-2006, 12:52 PM
i was locked from the admin thing too for security reasons. i tapped the enter button 5 times and my computer lagged up and let me by without the password. lol...my computers sucks.

me:1 computer:0