PDA

View Full Version : SH4 Mods

Tizi0728
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm new to the whole mods part of SH4. Can you run two different mods at the same time? I was thinking of installing the TMaru mod but also hear d there are more out there.

Tizi0728
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm new to the whole mods part of SH4. Can you run two different mods at the same time? I was thinking of installing the TMaru mod but also hear d there are more out there.

Maverick_U2007
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
First....welcome to the forum.

Second...Yes you can and no you can't run 2 different mods at the same time.

If you understand what type of MODS there are,,,then I'm going to waste your time.

There are big ones....like Trigger Maru

and there are little ones, ie one that corrects the stadimeter settings in the Recognition Manual to ensure better target hits.

In this case the little one will run with the big one...but my understanding is...that two big ones will not run together (but may sometimes??)...however,

the Modders are really clever people and there will always be a 'read me file' with each mod to explain which other mod it may or may not run with. However,

You can still run all the different 'Big Mods' if you want and have them all on your computer at the same time. To do this you will need

1. The original game re-installed and patched to Version 1.4 This you will retain as your 'clean game'.

2. You then go into the C/Program files/Ubisoft folder and copy that 'clean game' into the Ubisoft folder and rename it. Do not try to do another install via the DVD it won't work Call it say Trigger Maru Version.

3. You then need to download a thing called MULTI SH4...I know it is available, I got it from the Subsim website. You then run this in the 'Trigger Maru Version folder'.

4. When you installed the original clean game, it installed a folder in your 'My Documents file' which is called SH4. This is where all your games save files go. So you run Multi SH4 and this then gives you the option to create another file in your' My Documents' folder...probably use TM1.

5. Creat a shortcut from the 'Trigger Maru' folder in Program files/ubisoft and run the game for a short time and the save file will be created in 'My Documents folder'.

6. Down load a thing called Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) and run it in your C/Program files/ubisoft/Trigger Maru folder. Run it in that folder and it will create a mods folder.

7. Download the most recent Trigger Maru file and place it into the 'Mods' folder. Then enable it with JSGME.

Hey Presto...you now have two copies of SH4 on your computer....one the original game and now a further one with Trigger Maru.

And you can go further and do the same again and create further folders for further 'Supermods' so that you can try them all.

If you haven't tried any of this...don't worry it is not as bad as it first seems.....and if you already know what I have written.....then I have had some good typing practice.

Cheers and Good luck,

Any problems post again here

Maverick

CapnScurvy
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes, you can run several mods at the same time, however you have to do a little home work to see if they are compatible. First off you will need to download the JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME). The utility can be found in the "Tips, Mods, Tools....." sticky thread of this forum. It has directions in it's Readme and further instructions can be found by reading dgrayson's "Mod Installation Step By Step".

Next you will need a decompression tool to help open the downloaded mods. Most mods are compressed to save in size so a good tool is WinRaR that will work with most formats. You can download a free copy of the latest 3.71 here:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Now for your home work. Mods like Trigger Maru 1.7.5 or Real Fleet Boat 1.4 are large comprehensive mods that have several modifications rolled into one. Each has it's differences and unique features. You need to look through the various forum threads to get a handle on what you prefer. With JSGME installed you can choose one by "activating" it. Run the game to "see" which you like. Don't run both at the same time, this will cause the wheels to fall off the cart!!! The reason is, many of the files within the mods are the same files just changed to each ones specifications. Having two different changes to the same file may cause the game to CTD. At best the game may continue to run but the game will have unpredictable outcomes.

For the most part I think I would start small with modding your game. A different item here, a small change there. Read the information provided, either the forum mod post or at least the included Readme, if there is one. You'll get the hang of it soon, and increase your knowledge on what YOUR preferences are. Above all though, enjoy the game for what it is by itself. The extra added "fluff" can get in the way of the pure reason the developers designed the game.

dgrayson
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
If you have never installed any MODs, click on the Step by Step mod Installation in my sig. That should give you a good overview.

Tizi0728
01-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Hey thanks guys, this really helps.

Tizi0728
01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
hey guys, one more thing. I have patch 1.4 loaded, and it seems I'm getting different results when i adjust my gameplay settings. I want to use manual targeting. But when i check it, and hit apply settings, i go to my career game I'm playing, manual targeting is not turned on. I exit, got back to my settings, and sure enough, manual targeting is off. what am I doing wrong.

dgrayson
01-19-2008, 08:06 AM
In the career game you must adjust the game play settings while you are in your office. You set them by clicking the "radio" on your left. Then the gameplay setting will "stick" for that patrol.

Tizi0728
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Great, thanks again Gray.

Tizi0728
01-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Is there a way to get back to the office to adjust your gameplay settings once you've started your patrol?

dgrayson
01-22-2008, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tizi0728:
Is there a way to get back to the office to adjust your gameplay settings once you've started your patrol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, once you leave port you can't change the settings until you return from patrol and are ready to leave again, under normal circumstances.

If you are comfortable with file operations, there is one thing you can try. Go to the SH4 folder in My Documents and then to the SaveGames Folder. Look for the newest folder there and open it. You should see a file named GameplaySettings.cfg. Open the file with notepad and you should see this:
[Current]
LimitedBatteries=true
LimitedCompressedAir=true
LimitedO2=true
LimitedFuel=true
RealisticRepairTime=true
ManualTargetingSystem=false
NoMapUpdate=false
RealisticSensors=true
DudTorpedoes=true
RealisticReload=true
NoEventCamera=true
NoExternalView=false
NoStabilizeView=true
MPShowPlayerNames=false
MPShowTorpedoes=false

Make a copy of the file and save it somewhere safe, just in case. Then make the necessary changes to the file in the savegame, change trues to falses or vice versa and save the file. The new settings should then be effective for that save.

Good Luck

Tizi0728
01-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks Grayson, I'm an IT guy so working with directories isnt a problem. Thanks again. This site is great.