PDA

View Full Version : I may simply be dumb, but please help

Timyorke
11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, I posted something about this on the old forums but with the switch i think i lost it so here goes. I have a geforce 2mx, not the newest out there but the box says that its compatable. Anyway, everything installed fine but when i go to play the game, it loads, shows the loading uru, please wait box, than the screen goes black as if its loading something but than it just pops back to the desktop. Thats not the only problem, i've fooled around with settings, and basically i have no idea what [HAL] and [REF] mean but when i switch from one to the other i have a different problem, its says that it couldn't load because the graphics settings are too high. well i lowered all the settings and than it does the thing where it loads and just pops back to the desktop without actually loading. I downloaded the newest drivers but i may have done something wrong. if anyone has the foggiest idea on what i can do please help me. I am suffering so much havingthis game and not being able to play it.

Timyorke
11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, I posted something about this on the old forums but with the switch i think i lost it so here goes. I have a geforce 2mx, not the newest out there but the box says that its compatable. Anyway, everything installed fine but when i go to play the game, it loads, shows the loading uru, please wait box, than the screen goes black as if its loading something but than it just pops back to the desktop. Thats not the only problem, i've fooled around with settings, and basically i have no idea what [HAL] and [REF] mean but when i switch from one to the other i have a different problem, its says that it couldn't load because the graphics settings are too high. well i lowered all the settings and than it does the thing where it loads and just pops back to the desktop without actually loading. I downloaded the newest drivers but i may have done something wrong. if anyone has the foggiest idea on what i can do please help me. I am suffering so much havingthis game and not being able to play it.

maztec
11-19-2003, 10:45 PM
please post yoru full hardware specs

Timyorke
11-19-2003, 10:58 PM
First of all, i don't fulfill the ram requirement, i only have 128 which may be the problem but it doesn't seem like it from the error messages i've received. anyway, my specs are(and if i miss something pr write something wrong let me know, i'm not to affluent with computers):

Windows ME
Processor: Pentium 3 (don't know the MHz)
RAM: 128 MB
Video Card: GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 properties
Sound Card: (not sure but i don't think sound is the issue)
Hard Drive: 20 GB with about 10 free
i don't know what else you need to know, please ask specifics if you need more cause i'm not too tech savvy.

p.s. - please tell me that all i need is more ram cause i was planning on doing that soon anyway. also, does the HAL and REF play into this at all? i have no idea what they mean

maztec
11-19-2003, 11:10 PM
HAL is hardware based, REF is software based.
You should probably go with HAL with your hardware.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's your RAM. UBI sucks up 256MB reaaallly quick on my system. I have 2GB and I've seen it get up over 600MB of RAM usage, so I'm sure it probably needs that minimum 256MB just to store everything for quick showing.

Try that upgrade then see what you get http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Timyorke
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
ok, thanks a lot. I get payed this weekend http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif so i should be good to go soon.

myst5010
11-21-2003, 06:18 PM
You're not alone. I have a W98 SE (stop laughing), PIII 733 (please stop laughing), 385MB memory, lots of HD, brand new Radeon 9000, DirectX 9.0b, Dell Dimension 4100 (we can laugh together on this one), and all the latest drivers etc. I even went through my sfc.exe routine to check for damaged OS files.

I get the same results as you're getting. I ran the DirectX diagnostic Dxdiag.exe, and everything works great. Nice 3d spinning boxes.

I've tried all the things you've tried, reducing the video, disabling the sound in Uru to see if it could limp along. Nothing worked.

Occasionally I get a Invalid Page Fault from ~DFnnn.tmp (wierd), and sometimes Uruexplorer crashes and leaves the machine in a state where I have to restart.

When can we get a patch to fix this? Any wizards out there?

billyat
11-21-2003, 10:31 PM
When I got the URU demo, just to kill time 'till my box version arrived I tried it out on my low-ball computer: Dell Dimension 650MHZ W98SE, 128MB RAM (you guys gunna hurt yourself rolling on the floor laughing like that) with a ASUS geforce3 V8200 64MB vid card (original drivers), DX 9.0b and a low-ball Creative PCI card. Well it crashed right after the intro AVI. So I says to myself "wadda you expect". Then I looked on my default audio settings and saw that it had EAX sound checkmarked. I don't know what that is but i'm durn sure I didn't have it. So I unchecked it and believe it or not after that the demo ran beautifully: could run the res at 1024x768 fullscreen, with textures, quality and antialiasing maxed out.

Performance wasn't spectacular but quite acceptable. After some hesitation nearing high polygon areas it smoothes out to maybe 20-40 fps.

The moral of this story is to make sure the default settings are correct. Sometimes the setup proggy misidentifies your capabilities.

http://billyat.com/dnibillav.jpg

maztec
11-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Actually you have a creative sound card. So you do have EAX. Funny that.

But EAX requires quite a bit of RAM. So with 128MB you're guaranteed to crash that setup if you're using EAX. Soon as you disabled it you probably fit, just barely, within memory requirements.

I recommend upgrading your ram. 256MB at least, hopefully to 512MB+

billyat
11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanx for the info maztec! My other computer is a Porshe -- er -- Dell 4200 2GH, XP Pro SP1, 256MB RAM, nVidia geforce4 MX 420 52.13 drivers and a really lousy sound card (the EAX choice is greyed out). It plays URU demo and prime fine, but from what you tell me if I upgraded the sound card I'd prolly hafta get more ram.

maztec
11-21-2003, 11:45 PM
billyat -- actually 256mb of ram can handle EAX http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif 128 would have no prayer. The ram sent to me was bad for my new computer, so using an old 256MB stick in the mean time and it runs just fine with EAX.

BUT, it's a bit choppy.

Upgrading ram wouldn't hurt you one bit.