PDA

View Full Version : Another RAM/Vid Card Threat-Advice Pls.

racks_please
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello all. I am running SH3 on a Soyo Ultra Dragon Platinum MB with an AMD XP2100+ CPU. I have 512 MB of PC2100 RAM and my video card is a GeForce TI4600. Everything has been acceptable until I recently installed a harbor traffic mod. Now ports are too busy and everything slows to a painful crawl. I don't care about load times and such, just the ingame speed. Here are my questions...will upgrading to a gig of RAM be good enough? What if I do that and upgrade to perhaps a 6600GT 256? How much better is that vid card than my TI4600 and will it pair with my processor ok? You folks know much more than me so any help is appreciated! A new MB and processor is too much right now. Thanks!!!!

racks_please
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello all. I am running SH3 on a Soyo Ultra Dragon Platinum MB with an AMD XP2100+ CPU. I have 512 MB of PC2100 RAM and my video card is a GeForce TI4600. Everything has been acceptable until I recently installed a harbor traffic mod. Now ports are too busy and everything slows to a painful crawl. I don't care about load times and such, just the ingame speed. Here are my questions...will upgrading to a gig of RAM be good enough? What if I do that and upgrade to perhaps a 6600GT 256? How much better is that vid card than my TI4600 and will it pair with my processor ok? You folks know much more than me so any help is appreciated! A new MB and processor is too much right now. Thanks!!!!

GT182
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
My word of advice is to up your RAM to 1 gig of PC3200. 2 gigs is even better. Plus upgrade your Ti4600 drivers. nVidia's 71.89 drivers should do the trick for you.

Instead of going with a 6600GT for big buks, try a FX 5700Ultra or 5900Ultra 256 card. I'm using a FX5600Ultra 256 mb card and like it a lot. Bigger is not always better, at least cost wise. PriceWatch.com still has them both listed for very affordable prices. Or even go with an ATI 9800 Pro.

Abihco
08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
With respect to GT182, I wouldn't advise getting a stick of PC3200 RAM if cost is the primary consideration for you. Going with PC3200 won't net you any benefit other than buying a stick of RAM that will likely still be what you need the next time you go with a mobo/proc overhaul.

Your XP 2100+ CPU is running at 266 MHz FSB, correct? If you spend the extra money on the PC3200 memory, you're only going to be running it at 266 MHz anyway which negates having spent the extra money (unless you're overclocking, which might justify the cost).

I'd save the money now, buy another stick of PC2100, and dream of buying PC3200 memory when you have a mobo/proc capable of the faster FSB.

Also, two gigs of RAM is overkill on your system. There are diminishing returns as far as price vs. performance for general use and gaming past a gig of RAM.

I'd concur with his recommendation of video cards for what seems to be your price point. I upgraded from my FX5600-256 to my 6600GT, but the FX5600 Ultra isn't too shabby for an FX-series card. The 9800 would probably be a better buy than one of the FX line, however.

racks_please
08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
If I'm only going to spend $50 for another 512 of PC2100 RAM, then I can probably afford the 6600GT. Sound ok?

Abihco
08-02-2005, 01:46 PM
If you want to spend your money in a way that gives you an immediate boost, that's the route I'd take.

But you need to consider how long you're going to stick with that existing mobo and cpu. If you're going to hang onto it for a good while, go with the AGP 6600GT. If you think you might go big on the upgrade trail in the near future, go cheaper on the video card and plan on getting a PCI-X version of one of the big boys when you do your major overhaul.

You really just have to consider your overall plan for upgrades and decide how best to spend your money.

racks_please
08-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I understand. I don't want to replace the MB/CPU for another few years so this makes sense to me. Does it matter which 6600GT I select? There are quite a few different ones on newegg.com. I'm looking at the AOpen one right now. It's $140 or something like that.

Abihco
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm an MSI fanboy and have been pleased with my purchases thus far. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Newegg has the NX6600GT-VTD128 (AGP 4x/8x) for $187, with a $30 mail-in rebate offer to bring it to $157 after that little bit of hassle. That's the card I have and I'm pleased with it. It didn't have the poorly attached active cooling or ramsinks I read about with other cards, and the dynamic overclocking (D.O.T) employed by MSI is fully covered by their warranty. I'm sure a lot of the other vendors have worked out the kinks from their first production cuts, but MSI seemed to have it right from the start. The AGP version also does not have the temperature sensors enabled for use via nvidia nTune (when the PCI-X version does), but I have a saved BIOS hack I made to enable them.

I wish I would have paid only $157 for it, though. Lol. I bought mine from Newegg on 7 February at a whopping $214 plus shipping. :O

racks_please
08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Could you put into layman's terms how many steps above my TI4600 this new card is?

Lionel___hutz
08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
the 6600GT is much better then a 5700 or 5900 Ultra in game preformance and price 187 on neweeg for a card that can play ne new games on high (eg hl2). Preformace there is a big difference from the last generation fx cards to the new gen 6---. Also the new cards are more future proof with a shader model 3.0 gpu that the last gen fx seriers didnt have.

Lionel___hutz
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by racks_please:
Could you put into layman's terms how many steps above my TI4600 this new card is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well for an example on hl2 u work run right now directx 7 on low settings, with the new card directx 9 high settings and abour 50 to 60 FPS and doom 3 would not be playable with ur old card, with the 6600GT med to high settings

racks_please
08-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Awesome. So what's the best 6600 driver recommendation for SH3 performance?

Abihco
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
I always run the latest as soon as nvidia puts them out. I have only had problems with one series of Detonator drivers, but that was back when I had my Geforce 2 GTS and running a 44 series driver (a long time ago.. lol).

racks_please
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
6600GT and another stick of 512 on the way!

Dan_662
08-21-2005, 02:12 PM
I have a 2.4 ghz P4 system with 640 mb of pc 2700 ram. 1 stick of 128 and 2 sticks of 256, when you upgrade your ram I would suggest crucial.com. as they are the most comprehensive ram distributor, they also have this great website which allows you to input any type of computer model made and spits out the potential ram types you can upgrade to, also the volume of memory you can update. It's constantly updated and check for accuracy so you can be sure what you get will work. Be sure to purchase the same type as you currently have so that you don't waste any money on better performing ram that clocks down to your ram type. If for example I'd buy 2 sticks of ram of the 3200 version and I have 2700 installed the better ram clocks down to the speed of the slowest ram. Sorta like a convoy that slows to the fastest speed of the slowest ship. Be cautious of upgrading computers which only have 2 ram slots because you basically have to scrap the installed ram or ebay it and sticks of anything larger then 512mb are expensive. If you upgrade your ram you should notice improved load times in single player and career operations but in multiplayer again when mutiple computers are connected load times are linked to the fastest transfer of data time of the slowest computer in the multiplayer bunch. This computer came with a Geforce 4 MX 440 back in 2002 and I've been wanting to upgrade it since the day I got it. Sure it ran pretty good with the MX level of performance but getting into any game that wants to run a realistic resolution, i.e. 1024 x 768 or better requires a better card. If you are looking to purchase a new graphics card, bypass the FX series of cards as they are fast becomming as obsolete as the MX series cards. The Geforce 6 series is a outstanding choice for SH3 and other games such as doom3 or halflife 2 anything that requires some horsepower under the hood. Strengths of power most 6 series cards are denoted by their relative number in the series. Higher = better. The 6800 was the first card configuration to be released and most powerful in the class, followed by a 6200 and 6600 series. The class also has some cool suffixes such as GT, OC, Ultra. The Ultra designation denotes the most power and speed while the GT and OC is signifantly faster the the stock model. I have a 6600 which compared to the Geforce 4 MX 440 is lightning fast. It's also better then the FX series 5200, 5700, etc. One thing to consider with upgrading a graphics card is the possibility that you'll need to upgrade your power suppy as well. The computer model I have is a Dell, midrange, 4600. The stock install on powersupply for most systems is 115% of peak expected power demand and the power demand difference between the Geforce 4 MX 440 and the Geforce 6600 is considerable. The card manufactures recommend a minimum 350 watt ps and the system originally came with a 250 watt ps. As I've been told it's possible to run with a lower rated powersupply however it will increase the rate of wear on the powersupply and possibly fail to run if the powersupply simply cannot supply enought electricity. Powersupply are pretty cheap $40-60 range and the 6 series cards are reasonably priced. I got my 6600 for $135 which was a bargon. Good luck and post some more ?'s if u got em about upgrading.

Abihco
08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm curious.. Did you get the 6600, and what do you think?

racks_please
08-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Sure did. Got the card and the other 512. Not bad. Marginal improvement. I got far more improvement, though, by going into regedit and killing more than half of those useless background apps. Other than the few I knew about and knew were important, I googled each one and read about it. If it wasn't critical, I killed it. Reboot...like a new machine.

Abihco
08-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Interesting. I would have expected a report different from the "marginal improvement." I had a leaps-and-bounds experience going to the 6600GT from my FX5600XT.

quillan
08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I suspect that part of his problem wasn't due to the video card, but rather due to the processor. I've still got an XP 2000+, and I have some similar issues when too many ships are in the area (with a 9800 Pro video card and a gig of ram), so I'm pretty sure that's due to the CPU being overworked. I'm really looking forward to getting my new build put together now.

racks_please
08-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Yep. That's the big anchor.