PDA

View Full Version : Before the patches come out ....

johns1234
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I noticed in Crysis that Crytek made exactly the same control goofups that they made in the original Far Cry. No toggle
crouch. No toggle zoom. Seems all my dire predictions about Crysis came true, so I guess I learned to translate all the excuses ... and now here comes Far Cry 2 making the exact same ones. The delays. The bullroar about them wanting to get it right before putting it out. Here's what that means:

1. We want the game to be bug free before putting it out:
Translation: We are a bunch of cheap con-artists, who really don't want to pay our coders, so we only let them work on
the game in their spare time. Over the last year, we have hardly worked on the game at all, but maybe we will get back
to it some day. Shoot. All it takes is to put some new faces on COD2, and knock over a few trees. No big rush.

2. Far Cry 2 is the sequal to Far Cry:
Translation: Hmm .. Crysis and Halo3 might open up a kids market for older shooters, and we should cash in on that and
dump a quicky look-alike out the door. Somebody go get the MOHAA and COD code out of the basement, and let's see what
we've got. We'll call it Far Cry 2 and get a lot of free advertisement from the old gamers on the UBI website, but
actually, it will in no way resemble Far Cry.

3. The Beta has shown us that we need more time, so the new date is November 11, 2009:
Translation: Gee Whiz ... The Crysis scam didn't work. Nobody is buying that piece of junk. Maybe we should really
think about doing a real Far Cry 2 with Jack and Val and the Trigens ?? Anybody know a good coding company who could
handle a job like that? Maybe Piranha Bytes could talk Grandma into loaning them the Crytek Engine.

4. 'Scoops, Kimi ... et all moderators: We assure you that Far Cry 2 will come out when it is ready:
Translation: We don't have a clue. All we know is there is a rumor that UBI is working on it.

5. Me: Right. Sure. You bet.
Translation: If you guys want to see the real Far Cry 2, load up Gothic 3, and in 30 minutes of game play, you will
feel a sense of joy that you're finally back in the woods, and if you aren't careful, and keep your bow at the ready,
something is going to eat you.

johns1234
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I noticed in Crysis that Crytek made exactly the same control goofups that they made in the original Far Cry. No toggle
crouch. No toggle zoom. Seems all my dire predictions about Crysis came true, so I guess I learned to translate all the excuses ... and now here comes Far Cry 2 making the exact same ones. The delays. The bullroar about them wanting to get it right before putting it out. Here's what that means:

1. We want the game to be bug free before putting it out:
Translation: We are a bunch of cheap con-artists, who really don't want to pay our coders, so we only let them work on
the game in their spare time. Over the last year, we have hardly worked on the game at all, but maybe we will get back
to it some day. Shoot. All it takes is to put some new faces on COD2, and knock over a few trees. No big rush.

2. Far Cry 2 is the sequal to Far Cry:
Translation: Hmm .. Crysis and Halo3 might open up a kids market for older shooters, and we should cash in on that and
dump a quicky look-alike out the door. Somebody go get the MOHAA and COD code out of the basement, and let's see what
we've got. We'll call it Far Cry 2 and get a lot of free advertisement from the old gamers on the UBI website, but
actually, it will in no way resemble Far Cry.

3. The Beta has shown us that we need more time, so the new date is November 11, 2009:
Translation: Gee Whiz ... The Crysis scam didn't work. Nobody is buying that piece of junk. Maybe we should really
think about doing a real Far Cry 2 with Jack and Val and the Trigens ?? Anybody know a good coding company who could
handle a job like that? Maybe Piranha Bytes could talk Grandma into loaning them the Crytek Engine.

4. 'Scoops, Kimi ... et all moderators: We assure you that Far Cry 2 will come out when it is ready:
Translation: We don't have a clue. All we know is there is a rumor that UBI is working on it.

5. Me: Right. Sure. You bet.
Translation: If you guys want to see the real Far Cry 2, load up Gothic 3, and in 30 minutes of game play, you will
feel a sense of joy that you're finally back in the woods, and if you aren't careful, and keep your bow at the ready,
something is going to eat you.

R1ZN0
12-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I officially pass my torch to Johns1234... lol Who pulled your string ?? lol

fabulouscoops
12-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey, don't drag me into this. I only read the forum like you do. I just have the added ability to edit posts and move and delete stuff.

1. a little harsh.

2. This has been discussed ad nauseum. FC2 in no way resembles FC1 other than the promise of non-linear gameplay. Using FC players to move a product is the dumbest advertising ploy they could do. Even if all 100 of the world's Far Cry players joined in, no one would hear it.

3. 2009? Where is that coming from? I guess you are a pessimist.

4. see above. I don't assure people of anything.

5. Go play your RPG or troll the Gothic3 forum. Far Cry 2 was done by Matto.

Portchyboy
12-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Ok while I understand where your coming from, I think its a bit harsh to judge the game before its even out.
and FYI there was a togglezoom in farcry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

bongomast3r
12-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I hate it when games are overhyped and the release date just keeps getting pushed back until you just don't care anymore when it comes out (not living up to the hype).

But FC2 isn't at that point, nowhere near it. The original release date I heard was like second quarter of 2008, all I've heard of is about the release date being pulled forward. So only when it starts pushing that original Q2 release date will I start to worry, mildly.

johns1234
01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Far Cry when first released did not have toggle zoom, or toggle crouch. We got it after a lot of griping about the controls ... about the 2nd demo release. And it is obvious from all the dumbed down modern shooters, that the industry is just handing us a lot of rehash of very old shooters ... and they are dropping HDR .. and even reverting to the Euro keybds with little or no mouse controls. UBI is not going to work on this game. It is just going to be another Crysis-look-alike, running theme code from older games. Crysis is nothing but a linear COD rip-off with a tacked on Sci-Fi theme, and terrible graphics in those areas. Actually, it is not even up to that level, when all you do is drive down a shore line and shoot people ?? There is no game in the game, and that is obvious. CRYTEK simply did not put in the time beyond the first demo level in Crysis, and that is very obvious. And remember .. CRYTEK and UBI are the same thing, with the same attitude. Far Cry 2 is going to be nothing but another crappy linear shooter with no game in the game. And I will be very surprised if it has more than 5 levels.

On that theme, take an honest look at Gothic 3 ( I'm not just hyping another product here ). You will quickly see that G3 is a very very long game, with super good environment ( This is the Far Cry legacy ). I think herein lies the continuation of excellent PC gaming. Gothic 3 is a RPG / FPS hybrid, and is much more a FPS game than a RPG game. The story is historical and very well developed. Those of you who spent the old days on Far Cry, will find that G3 is equally replayable and worth the time spent. It is not a kids game, and that makes it even better. The mouth breathers hate G3 because it actually takes a high-end PC with at least a 7800 video card. And it takes time to build weapons skills and survival skills. And .... there are girls to rescue.

Finally, I can only hope that CRYTEK and UBI will sell out to Jowood, so we can get some decent PC games that actually entertain us. Meantime, all of us should keep an eye on the bargin bin where the latest shooters are most certainly going.

slayer_1970
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
As fsr as Gothic 3 goes well....Never played so I can't comment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Far Cry 2 is going to be nothing but another crappy linear shooter with no game in the game. And I will be very surprised if it has more than 5 levels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty harsh and you have no idea thats the case. Have you played the game already?!?!? NO! You can't base any absolutes on demos or what you may have read. I can take your statements more seriously once you have actually played the finish product.

Your certainly have the right to an opinion but in this case its more negitive guess work.

britrb
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I vote to rename this thread to "Flamers only!"

Not that it really means anything though, but I have had d good laugh reading this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I have played and completed Crysis, and found it to be a really good and beautiful FPS. Although it was a bit linear, still gave me choices as to which way I went about taking on targets.

Even if Far Cry 2 does end up being restrictive in any way, I will still enjoy it purely due to the amazing scenery http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Have fun all,
Brian.

P.S. It would help to inform people if there was a HD teaser video out though.

GotMilk1980
10-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Patch this!