PDA

View Full Version : grrr i keep missing

Torpedo_Sam12
09-10-2005, 12:13 AM
i am having so much fun with this game, though i constantly find costal merchants on my career. I line up anywhere from 50-90 degree angle shots, at no closer then 550 meters.. the eels go in the water, i wait in anticipation for the joyous BOOM that follow, just to hear a "Thud" and the torp drop off and fall to the bottom.

first thing through my mind "Well ****"

now they know i am there, and they start the Z pattern anti-sub movements... which makes targeting almost impossible from 1000 meters.

i find that i can run on the surface with deck guns and pick them off pretty easily, expecially if they are carrying explosive cargo, just use high explosive shells.

I am just tired of coming home with only a 15k ton record

please oh great submarine captains... HELP ME OUT!

Torpedo_Sam12
09-10-2005, 12:13 AM
i am having so much fun with this game, though i constantly find costal merchants on my career. I line up anywhere from 50-90 degree angle shots, at no closer then 550 meters.. the eels go in the water, i wait in anticipation for the joyous BOOM that follow, just to hear a "Thud" and the torp drop off and fall to the bottom.

first thing through my mind "Well ****"

now they know i am there, and they start the Z pattern anti-sub movements... which makes targeting almost impossible from 1000 meters.

i find that i can run on the surface with deck guns and pick them off pretty easily, expecially if they are carrying explosive cargo, just use high explosive shells.

I am just tired of coming home with only a 15k ton record

please oh great submarine captains... HELP ME OUT!

vanjast
09-10-2005, 12:29 AM
You're either :-
(1) too close.
(2) hitting the ship at an angle of greater than ~30 degrees.
(3) got a lot of dud torps from the kriegsmarine armory

I've standardised on the below so I don't have to waste time number crunching
Settings:-
(1) Torp depth = 0
(2) Detonator = Impact (I)
(3) 350 <= Gyro Angle <= 10 degrees (Those 3 grey numbers on the right - Scopre view) with Angle on Bow ~+-90
(4) Distance - In scope view the ship mast height must just full your view (x6 zoom).
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kaleun1961
09-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Torpedo depth zero? Is that correct? Do they run on the surface like a surfboard? Sounds crazy, but if it works for you, then keep on trucking.

FI-Aflak
09-10-2005, 01:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Torpedo depth zero? Is that correct? Do they run on the surface like a surfboard? Sounds crazy, but if it works for you, then keep on trucking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do much more damage if the explode under the keel. Also, the magnetic detonator won't bounce off if you hit at an angle.

However magnetic dets can explode prematurely in heavy seas and you have to know the ships draft so you can set depth to just below that.

The only time I'd use zero depth would be for shooting at destroyers or little boats, and I wouldn't waste a torp on a non-warship small boat unless I had one left over and I was only a little ways away from home.

vanjast
09-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Every torp I've used has been zero depth and impact detonator, that's since I've started my 4 th career (after the 4th installation of SH3). I've yet to have a torp fail on me.
It might be on this forum or in a book of my war library that I read that after discovering the problems with their torps, the UBoat captain set all torps to zero depth and impact detonators
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Messervy
09-10-2005, 08:00 AM
It would be great had that been the case and the Devs had actualy included it but i think it`s mere coincidence.

SpectreFC
09-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I think it actually mentions it in the manual.. early war torpedos had a problem that they 'drifted' deeper at longer ranges, so captains were told to set the depth to 0.

And yes, in rough seas, the torp can actually 'skip' out of the water.. at least in SH3.

I have found if you set the depth to 0 (1 technically), the magnetic pistols have a greater tendency to go off.
So I turn them off.

Torpedo Sam: Heres my guess as to whats happening... either your attempting to fire at them from too small an AOB (50 degrees is a hard shot IMO), wait till at least 65-70... 80-90 is your best bet tho.

OR

Your topedo's are set too deep, and they are just bouncing off the bottom of the keel, and you should set them shallower.

Think about the shape of a torpedo.. Think about the rounded nose. The very tip of the nose has to impact something for the impact pistol to detonate.. If the angle of impact is too shallow, that rounded nose will just glance off without ever touching the tip. Make sense? Just try and visualise that next time your setting up a shot.

Good luck, captain!

Let us know how your next patrol goes!