PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes to desktop far too often for an Open Beta!

citybuilder
08-11-2007, 03:25 AM
I've been trying the game. Basically playing a LAN game with only myself in the game to get the hang of it. Of course when you enter the game you immediately win, but you can continue playing.

In the last 10 minutes of trying to play it's crashed to the desktop 3 times. I would understand if this was still alpha or closed beta, but by the time its in open beta the majority of crashes should be worked out of the game.

So, what am I doing to cause the crash? Nothing that I can think of. Zooming in one time and BANG! CTD. Scrolling the map and BANG! CTD. Placing a bakery on the map and BANG! CTD.

Being that it is still in Beta I would have assumed that there is a place to report bugs or problems that we find in the game, but I failed to find anything that instructs where to send off bug reports for the game. Is this really Open Beta, or is just a publicity/free advertising to drum up some interest in the game? All the beta that I've been in, both closed and open have had some official way to contact the developers and let them know of problems one might be experiencing.

Overall, it's a hard game to like when it crashes so frequently.

My computer:
AMD 64X2 4600+
Windows XP Pro SP2
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB (yes I have SLI cards).
4GB of RAM.
Latest mainboard, sound, and video card drivers as of a couple days ago. I also installed the directx that comes with the download.

Anybody can think of any solutions or where to go to properly report crashes and other bugs?

Thanks,

citybuilder
08-11-2007, 03:25 AM
I've been trying the game. Basically playing a LAN game with only myself in the game to get the hang of it. Of course when you enter the game you immediately win, but you can continue playing.

In the last 10 minutes of trying to play it's crashed to the desktop 3 times. I would understand if this was still alpha or closed beta, but by the time its in open beta the majority of crashes should be worked out of the game.

So, what am I doing to cause the crash? Nothing that I can think of. Zooming in one time and BANG! CTD. Scrolling the map and BANG! CTD. Placing a bakery on the map and BANG! CTD.

Being that it is still in Beta I would have assumed that there is a place to report bugs or problems that we find in the game, but I failed to find anything that instructs where to send off bug reports for the game. Is this really Open Beta, or is just a publicity/free advertising to drum up some interest in the game? All the beta that I've been in, both closed and open have had some official way to contact the developers and let them know of problems one might be experiencing.

Overall, it's a hard game to like when it crashes so frequently.

My computer:
AMD 64X2 4600+
Windows XP Pro SP2
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB (yes I have SLI cards).
4GB of RAM.
Latest mainboard, sound, and video card drivers as of a couple days ago. I also installed the directx that comes with the download.

Anybody can think of any solutions or where to go to properly report crashes and other bugs?

Thanks,

ChicaGamer
08-11-2007, 03:31 AM
Well, I'm glade that I'm not the only one having this trouble lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
But I think that possible reason for the crash is the high memory that the game uses on a computer. It could be just that your computer doesn't have enough memory to run it for very long along with all of the other things running on your computer (things you don't technically see) But it could also be that the game has afew glitches.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

citybuilder
08-11-2007, 03:36 AM
4GB of RAM as posted in the OP. I have to doubt the game can take more than that. The 320MB ram is the RAM on each video card not the system RAM.

Okay I've posted this over on the gamespot forum since that appears to be where UBI people are hanging out instead of at the UBI forums.

PWH
08-11-2007, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChicaGamer:
Well, I'm glade that I'm not the only one having this trouble lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
But I think that possible reason for the crash is the high memory that the game uses on a computer. It could be just that your computer doesn't have enough memory to run it for very long along with all of the other things running on your computer (things you don't technically see) But it could also be that the game has afew glitches.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could try a few adjustments.

1. My computer/properties/performance settings/Adjust for best performance.

2. My computer/properties/performance settings/Advance/Memory usage System cache.

3. My computer/properties/performance settings/Advance/Virtual memory change/Custom size.

This made my 2nd computer run better for RoaE. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

xhriztjan
08-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Your 4 Gb is the problem. Windows Xp cant handle more than 3,5 Gb of ram unless your running on a 64bit system. Those 3,5 is including your graphic memory so with your cards I think you only see about 3 Gb of ram. Right clik on My computer then properties and it will tell you how much ram is seen. Having more ram on a 32bit windows system will create unstability. I know i got 4 Gb and it worked for a while but i had to remove 1 Gb to get it stable.

If you want to use 4 Gb ram i suggest you upgrade to vista 64bit, 4 Gb on a 32bit wont give you anything since it only can use a maximum of 2 Gb per application anyway.

One more thing, your are playing a beta it isnt the final product we are actually bug testing it as we play cause that is what your doing when you play the beta.

pennyuk
08-11-2007, 04:43 AM
One more thing, your are playing a beta it isnt the final product we are actually bug testing it as we play cause that is what your doing when you play the beta.

Well said X this is the first time we have had any involvement with any of the "Settlers" series,and as it is Beta its expected to have bugs,the reason we are playing it to find them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PWH
08-11-2007, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xhriztjan:
Your 4 Gb is the problem. Windows Xp cant handle more than 3,5 Gb of ram unless your running on a 64bit system. Those 3,5 is including your graphic memory so with your cards I think you only see about 3 Gb of ram. Right clik on My computer then properties and it will tell you how much ram is seen. Having more ram on a 32bit windows system will create unstability. I know i got 4 Gb and it worked for a while but i had to remove 1 Gb to get it stable.

If you want to use 4 Gb ram i suggest you upgrade to vista 64bit, 4 Gb on a 32bit wont give you anything since it only can use a maximum of 2 Gb per application anyway.

One more thing, your are playing a beta it isnt the final product we are actually bug testing it as we play cause that is what your doing when you play the beta. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had big problems when I had 4Gb & running X3 Reunion had to take 2Gb 2 & 4 slots out.
But maybe the motherboards are better now.

Kalevala1982
08-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Only problems I've encountered are:
-Disconnections when playing online games. Then not being able to reconnect to Online play unless I reboot my system (error message says unable to connect check your firewall and network settings). Or if I'm in the online lobby and try to create a game error message says its either my firewall settings or its a server side problem. Which I think is the cause of not being able to reconnect to the online lobby. Or I get an error message when trying to join a game saying client timed out yet the game is still there on the menu.
-Weird texture glitches which stretch things way off the screen either vertically or horizontally. This is solved by tabbed out and back in again. Bandits that don't attack unless you attack them, they just issue idol threats.
-Sending a thief into an enemy castle to grab intel on their territory (essentially just lifts the fog of war on the enemy lands) seems way to short. I think it was like 30seconds before my intel reverted back to the fog of war.

I havn't had any loading or crash problems yet.

citybuilder
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Okay, well I'd try taking out 2GB of RAM but I know that isn't the problem (UNLESS THIS PARTICULAR GAME HAS A PROBLEM WITH A COMPUTER HAVING 4GB OF RAM). If my system was unstable it would be unstable across the board and not just with one game (a beta game at that). Seriously, there is no instability in my computer, I run a lot of games and other applications on my computer and I don't have any games/applications that produce a CTD. My system never blue screens and is rock solid. This system was put together back in Feb or March of this year and it has been completely stable since and continues to be now.

Yes I understand this is an open Beta, Im currently in another couple game betas right now but can't name them due to the NDA.

Okay, with that off my chest and out of the way I can say that the CTD's only happen when trying to play a LAN game by myself. I've played the tutorial for quite a while last night and it did not produce the CTD that I experienced in the LAN game. I shut down the computer last night and restarted this afternoon and tried it again. Indeed the tutorial mission is stable for me and I played for quite some time. Then I tried a LAN game again by myself and within 10 minutes I had my first CTD. I didn't bother trying again since it's now shown a pattern in that it only happens with a LAN game and not with the singleplayer game.

Anyway, thanks for your input, I'll keep my 4GB of RAM until my system becomes unstable if that ever happens, and can only hope that the developers fix the game to get rid of this problem in the LAN games which apparently Im not the only one to experience CTD's, however I don't know if the other people that are experiencing this are only experiencing it in the LAN games or the singleplayer games. It's really not that important for me to find out since this is an "open" beta which for a multiplayer game is usually more of a stress test rather than a search and destroy (bug) beta test. That would or should have been done in closed beta.

Okay, thanks again for the input.

PWH
08-12-2007, 02:51 AM
citybuilder.

Thought you might find this interesting. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195743&page=1&pp=10

citybuilder
08-12-2007, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PWH:
citybuilder.

Thought you might find this interesting. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195743&page=1&pp=10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've seen that before since I actively play Lotro, Im all over their forums both in the US and over seas. I think it an interesting read.