PDA

View Full Version : Great! Just a few things are missing

gojiradakiaju
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I purchased the game yesterday immeaditly after getting off of work. It was worth every penny and I haven't stopped playing (with the exceptions of bathroom and snack breaks).
So, after contemplating some things, I've noticed that there aren't a whole lotta "other" maps. Also, there is no map editor. Now, I know without a doubt that Ubi will be updating the game eventually, just as 3do did way back in the day. I'd just like to see more multiplayer hotseat maps and options. Team playing would rock. A map editor would be godly, finally giving those of us with too much time on our hands to make a masterpeice. So, I commend Ubi on a job well done. Afterall, no ones perfect.

gojiradakiaju
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I purchased the game yesterday immeaditly after getting off of work. It was worth every penny and I haven't stopped playing (with the exceptions of bathroom and snack breaks).
So, after contemplating some things, I've noticed that there aren't a whole lotta "other" maps. Also, there is no map editor. Now, I know without a doubt that Ubi will be updating the game eventually, just as 3do did way back in the day. I'd just like to see more multiplayer hotseat maps and options. Team playing would rock. A map editor would be godly, finally giving those of us with too much time on our hands to make a masterpeice. So, I commend Ubi on a job well done. Afterall, no ones perfect.

Malfurius
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah and things will get fixed and made better.

From fabrice

Hi everyone

I see many people wondering and complaining about the content of the game. These discussions happen on most forums I visit, but not to the level of what happens here at CH. I couldnt care less for what pirates think, but when long time members of the community join the threads, it means a clarification is needed.

As a note, I find it interesting to see that people who get the game for free, illegally, still get on to complain - perhaps they're french ?

Anyway, here are some details on what will be released this week (and the next for the US), and what will be released later. Most if not all of these infos were already given through Q&As.

H5 will consist of :
- A campaign of 6 chapters with 5 missions each. Each chapter is centered on one race, in this order : haven, inferno, necropolis, dungeon, sylvan, academy.
- 6 single scenario maps, plus 3 more in the limited/collector edition
- 10 multiplayer maps
- 18 preset heroes for the duel mode

In the couple of months following the release, we'll offer updates containing notably :
- 10 more multiplayer maps
- the map editor
Of course these updates will squeeze unforeseen bugs and improve the balance, but besides this and what i listed, we are planning more content, although i wont detail it now.

In the first addon, a lot of features will be added, notably a random map generator. I cant give more specifics on this addon yet, but the time to disclose more info is not far away.

Now, I'll try to adress some subjects of discussions I've read these days.

There arent enough maps !
All in all its close to 60 maps that will be playable. H3 and H4 offered about 70. That's indeed more, but I think we spent enough time on all these maps to guarantee their quality. The 10 initial MP maps for instance, have been through the beta test for most of them. The other maps did not go through it, and they have been reserved for an update after the release, to get more time to polish them.

Why doesnt the game include the map editor/rmg/... ?
This is a choice that we made, and this choice is, what does matter for the initial release ? I think an editor is critical for a game longevity, but not for the release. So we can take a bit more time to finish it. Same about the rmg, this is not something that most players will boot right after install. We concentrated on creating a world and a story, and that is played through the campaign, and the single scenarios, which are all closely linked with the world events (well, except one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif).

The performance drops a lot !
The game has been tested on all common configurations and almost all graphic cards, and the results were outstanding, much better than i anticipated. Nival did a great job at tweaking performance in the last few weeks. However, there is one particular case where you can see a framerate drop, its when you lower the camera down to the ground level, and pan to see the whole map on the screen. In this case, logically, you get to display a huge amount of objects, and the framerate will drop. But this is clearly not designed as a playable view, it is there only for screenshots.

The AI is bad !
Well, one thing's for sure, is that we didnt communicate enough on this point. It was developed late in the process, thats the main reason. The AI has been done and tuned with the help of Steve Fawkner, and the result is quite good. Its a pretty efficient attacker. Any flaw that is discovered after release will of course be corrected through an update.
In the scenario or campaign maps, the AI is strictly guided, as these maps are about a story. So the AI has great limitations to what it can or cannot do. This is not the place where you can judge it.

The missions are too difficult !
This is one point i recently answered to i think. Judging from the demo feedback and also from reviewers, an easy setting was missing. It will be added in the first update.

To conclude, I suppose it is normal that fans get anxious right before the game release, and even more so when pirates feed their own (often misinformed) opinion into the fray. The feedback we've had from the journalists is great so far, and I hope you will agree on that when you get to try the game for real

So that means loads of stuff will be added soon

Sid1120
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
*To that Fabrice guy

"So we can take a bit more time to finish it. Same about the rmg, this is not something that most players will boot right after install."

I wouldn't go up to say that I might be the truth itself, but it still is a fact that an increadible amount of players playing HoMM play it for it's Hotseat aspect. Myself, I had been awaiting for quite some time this new addition...

And now I ask myself: "Where is my favorite multiplayer game..."? I bought HoMM3 3 times (The first time around as it was released, then the Complete version and even a second time after my CDs broke in my computer.) and not one of those times did I find myself needing anything else. After all, it did have infinite replayability right from the start: an editor at least. The Complete version was simply freaking nutz with the introduction of the generator. But with HoMM5, it's hard to really to play any Hotseat since you have succesfully kept me wanting for more while not letting me have it. How? Because:

-HoMM5 not having any generator nor a simple map editor, I am unable to get past the low, depressing 10 maps...
-Wanting to play some Hotseat HoMM action on uncharted action, I launch up HoMM3 and realize with horror how bland and pale it is compared to HoMM5's new leveling system...

And so I can congratulate you for killing my dreams and hopes *Crying smiley, etc.*

The funny thing is still:
You come up here defending the game and trying to tell us how great lacking something is. Ain't it wierd? If someone ever makes a mistake, I'd expect him to excuse himself and explains how he will fix the situation, letting me know that he learned from his mistakes and that I may expect a brighter futur. However, you, you simply try to dictate our needs, which is a somewhat wrong marketing strategy. This actually agravates me as not only was I wronged, but you're trying to shovel down my throat your mistakes as delicaties.

For exemple, the map editor, which you said will simply come out as a better version, could simply have been updated, giving you people feed-back on how to improve it.

Anyway, I wrote a good paragraph I think and time is running short so I'll get back to writing down some chemistry reports.

MatteoG14
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Sid, you couldn't have said it better.

While Fabrice does make some sense, I too bought the game entirely for the multiplayer aspect of it. The hotseat games. I got hooked into the series from the start, HoMM1 was a completely unique game, and HoMM2 and HoMM3 improved on every aspect of the game. The fourth in the series tried to take things to a new level, changing a lot, in turn causing a LOT of people to become unsatisfied with the game...

With every Heroes game that came out, the hotseat became my most sought after aspect. The campaigns - while clever story lines and interesting quests, just didn't have the same impact as myself and 3 friends facing off against 4 AI opponants. The VERY POOR selection of maps really dissapointed me.

The lack of a map editor was downright suprising. Heck, when I opened the box and saw that the traditional character sheet foldout wasn't in there, I was genuinely upset and let down.

Dear Ubisoft,

Just because you have the rights to the name, doesn't mean we'll just magically bow down to whatever half-finished **** you throw at us.

Love,
Me

P.S. Put the random map generator in a patch, not an expansion!

P.P.S. Make the RMG VERY similar to the one in heroes 3.

That being said, I really hope that they pull it together and actually release a content patch SOON - the game is very dissapointing so far. Even a downloadable PDF with the creature info would be great...

So far not too impressed with the game - it may look great, and play very much like Heroes 3, but that isn't cutting it...