PDA

View Full Version : Beta

train79
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
With Haze on the horizon and the Halo 3 Beta in full swing (with problems), should Ubisoft do a Beta or just get it right the first time. Your thought?

train79
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
With Haze on the horizon and the Halo 3 Beta in full swing (with problems), should Ubisoft do a Beta or just get it right the first time. Your thought?

deded999
05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Interesting question. I'm not sure how necessary a public beta is; (you could make a case that the Halo beta is as much about publicity as it is about improving the game). Plenty of good online games have been produced without public betas. Obviously it's a company decision whether to run these publically or behind closed doors.

sanderDrost
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
i think haze can proof itself with just movies and pictures and the fact that most ts lovers are interested by it being made by free radical.

BuddyFlashheart
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of public betas, but a lot of people seem to mistake them for demos and react accordingly. It's an opportunity to play an upcoming game for free, but the general purpose is to help the developer test and improve the game. A lot of people tend to forget about that second part.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deded999:
Interesting question. I'm not sure how necessary a public beta is; (you could make a case that the Halo beta is as much about publicity as it is about improving the game). Plenty of good online games have been produced without public betas. Obviously it's a company decision whether to run these publically or behind closed doors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halo 3 seems to be more of a stress test than anything, and of course the publicity doesn't hurt given that it's basically complete in terms of game mechanics (game mechanics that are largely built on two preceding games, so they are naturally solid) and base tech. But that's probably not the best example of a public beta. The beta I'm in right now is fairly obviously focused on performance and stability/integrity, far more so than Halo 3. I'm not going to name it or give any examples, but suffice to say that it's very clearly a beta of an unfinished game.

TerranUp16
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
A beta for the PC version could prove amply beneficial- that's the place where FR really needs to make inroads and so the publicity aspect of it will serve them well. However, the PC also generally has more dedicated, hardcore, and serious gamers than the platforms, and thus beta tests can do more on a PC- that's also partially a matter of infrastructure with the ability to send immediate feedback and the ability to have beta forums.

BuddyFlashheart
05-25-2007, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TerranUp16:
A beta for the PC version could prove amply beneficial- that's the place where FR really needs to make inroads and so the publicity aspect of it will serve them well. However, the PC also generally has more dedicated, hardcore, and serious gamers than the platforms, and thus beta tests can do more on a PC- that's also partially a matter of infrastructure with the ability to send immediate feedback and the ability to have beta forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the perks of beta testing a console that comes with a built-in web browser. But I agree with you about the "hardcore" part.

TerranUp16
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
A built-in browser, but not a built-in keyboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

spartan1308
05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Ok, so you're doing the Warhawk beta. I'm sure it's not against the NDA to say that you are in the beta. I would add that both Shadowrun and H3 betas had and have online beta forums. One part of qualifying for the Shadowrun beta was signing up for the forum.

RippyGator
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Its all up to the game developers if they think that the game should have a BETA, alot of people forget that the main reason for BETA's is to find the bugs in the game before releasal.