PDA

View Full Version : U-512 bags a yacht

hueywolf123
01-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, last night I was transferred after two patrols from Kiel to W'shaven. Good news as that canal is becoming boring.
After leaving on patrol number three (gwx) in my Type IID (the one with two connimg tower hatches), I headed to my assigned patrol grid.
Not long after midnight on the third day, I stumbled across a liner and took her out with two fish.
Before too long a C&D dd arrived on the scene, so I slipped three fish at her. All were heading well untill they all detonated early.
I slunk away as silently as I could with my one remaining fish.
On my way back across my watch crew sighted a ship, taking no chances I had us down to periscope depth for a listen - nothing - up again.
Binoculars showed me a sail just above the horizon, at quite a long distance. I confirmed her heading, then plotted an intercept course.
Ahead flank, man the AA gun! I would have ordered.
Lo and behold, the yacht starts zig zagging like a motor launch would (possible, but not probable). We went under again and the zig zag stopped.
Of all the stupid things, I launched my last fish, but not before I'd set it to magnetic impact, aimed just a little deeper than her draught.
Wooden hulls are not well known for their magnetism, and as such, the fish is probably still thundering along now.
We surfaced again, a little red faced, and blew them away with the AA gun. I mean, we didn't want them telling their friends of our stupid mistake, did we?
The morale here kiddies, set your fish to shallow impact for yachts, or you might look as silly as I did

hueywolf123
01-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, last night I was transferred after two patrols from Kiel to W'shaven. Good news as that canal is becoming boring.
After leaving on patrol number three (gwx) in my Type IID (the one with two connimg tower hatches), I headed to my assigned patrol grid.
Not long after midnight on the third day, I stumbled across a liner and took her out with two fish.
Before too long a C&D dd arrived on the scene, so I slipped three fish at her. All were heading well untill they all detonated early.
I slunk away as silently as I could with my one remaining fish.
On my way back across my watch crew sighted a ship, taking no chances I had us down to periscope depth for a listen - nothing - up again.
Binoculars showed me a sail just above the horizon, at quite a long distance. I confirmed her heading, then plotted an intercept course.
Ahead flank, man the AA gun! I would have ordered.
Lo and behold, the yacht starts zig zagging like a motor launch would (possible, but not probable). We went under again and the zig zag stopped.
Of all the stupid things, I launched my last fish, but not before I'd set it to magnetic impact, aimed just a little deeper than her draught.
Wooden hulls are not well known for their magnetism, and as such, the fish is probably still thundering along now.
We surfaced again, a little red faced, and blew them away with the AA gun. I mean, we didn't want them telling their friends of our stupid mistake, did we?
The morale here kiddies, set your fish to shallow impact for yachts, or you might look as silly as I did

WilhelmSchulz.
01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

AO1_AW_SW_USN
01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Being a former ordnanceman of the United States Navy, I have an intricate knowledge of how fusing works.

WWII era contact fuses were far less sensitive than today's standards (that goes without saying). So I would be somewhat shocked to see a successful torpedo attack against a wooden ship while using an impact pistol... let alone ask why a Commander would fire a valuable resource at such a lowly target? (sorry hueywolf, I had to poke fun at you a little bit) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

hueywolf123
01-31-2007, 06:59 PM
No insult taken http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif, I wonder that now also, but I suppose, only having an AA and no deck gun, and only one fish left