PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore mode for PC

JET-WTF
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by kazzoo:
Today we are pleased to announce the release of a Farcry 2 title update for Xbox 360. Update: PlayStation® patch 1.03 now also available. Please keep PS3 feedback in this thread too, though if any issue you encounter is console-specific please mention which platform you are playing on.

This patch will include a lot of improvements for both single player and multiplayer modes; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want. Information on a similar update for PS3 and PC will be announced soon. Here is a list of the fixes and additions:

Single Player
Fix some random crash occurring during specific Malaria attacks
Fix health damage not following the difficulty level when switching difficulty during player’s walkthrough
Fix some camera issue when using a mortar near a rock
Reduce significantly the probability of having a corrupted save game*

Multiplayer
Add Respawning time in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add Starting rank in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add min players in the host option
Add deaths in scoreboard
Balance current damage model
Show VIP on Scoreboard (for your team only)
Players can stay on the same host for consecutive matches in Ranked match
Add a Quick match button when selecting a map in the Map community
Fix vehicles spawning on their initial position immediately after being destroyed by an explosion
Fix client being disconnected from the host randomly and not being able to see it after that
Fix death message does not appear randomly
Fix some issues when interacting with objects
Fix bandolier doesn’t always unlock extra ammo
Fix some bug when healing another player and getting wounded at the same time
Fix diamond gain in rank mode
Fix players don’t get a request to keep a map after playing on a IGE map
DLC Fix some issues when using the crossbow

Extra features
Add a “hardcore mode” that will provide a new damage model where all weapons do much more damage to increase realism.
Add the possibility to play Rank matches on a selection of user maps**

Many of the new features were requested by members of the community and we would like to thanks everyone for taking the time to communicate with us, we hope you will enjoy the improvements.

* We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. We found out during our testing that several elements could cause an issue with the same consequences and therefore prevent certain players to finish the game. We have been able to provide solutions that prevent those corruption problems in most cases and we haven’t encountered any problems now. We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused to some owners of the game.
** In answer to a growing demand we have developed a tool that enable us to mark user’s created maps as ranked. You should already find a selection of those maps thanks to some of our active community members.

Well since hardcore mode for console has been out since the 11th of may, I dont see us PC players getting that mode. Any word on that Ubi? or are we PC players now negated to second rate citizens?

JET-WTF
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kazzoo:
Today we are pleased to announce the release of a Farcry 2 title update for Xbox 360. Update: PlayStation® patch 1.03 now also available. Please keep PS3 feedback in this thread too, though if any issue you encounter is console-specific please mention which platform you are playing on.

This patch will include a lot of improvements for both single player and multiplayer modes; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want. Information on a similar update for PS3 and PC will be announced soon. Here is a list of the fixes and additions:

Single Player
Fix some random crash occurring during specific Malaria attacks
Fix health damage not following the difficulty level when switching difficulty during player’s walkthrough
Fix some camera issue when using a mortar near a rock
Reduce significantly the probability of having a corrupted save game*

Multiplayer
Add Respawning time in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add Starting rank in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add min players in the host option
Add deaths in scoreboard
Balance current damage model
Show VIP on Scoreboard (for your team only)
Players can stay on the same host for consecutive matches in Ranked match
Add a Quick match button when selecting a map in the Map community
Fix vehicles spawning on their initial position immediately after being destroyed by an explosion
Fix client being disconnected from the host randomly and not being able to see it after that
Fix death message does not appear randomly
Fix some issues when interacting with objects
Fix bandolier doesn’t always unlock extra ammo
Fix some bug when healing another player and getting wounded at the same time
Fix diamond gain in rank mode
Fix players don’t get a request to keep a map after playing on a IGE map
DLC Fix some issues when using the crossbow

Extra features
Add a “hardcore mode” that will provide a new damage model where all weapons do much more damage to increase realism.
Add the possibility to play Rank matches on a selection of user maps**

Many of the new features were requested by members of the community and we would like to thanks everyone for taking the time to communicate with us, we hope you will enjoy the improvements.

* We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. We found out during our testing that several elements could cause an issue with the same consequences and therefore prevent certain players to finish the game. We have been able to provide solutions that prevent those corruption problems in most cases and we haven’t encountered any problems now. We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused to some owners of the game.
** In answer to a growing demand we have developed a tool that enable us to mark user’s created maps as ranked. You should already find a selection of those maps thanks to some of our active community members. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well since hardcore mode for console has been out since the 11th of may, I dont see us PC players getting that mode. Any word on that Ubi? or are we PC players now negated to second rate citizens?

Mangs607
05-21-2009, 05:39 PM
How is it you do not see PC users getting the Hardcore Mode?

Elaborate Please

Pezant_
05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
He starts off with that remark yes, but he has in fact left it up to UBI to respond. He is trying to kick them into action. If you have read any of the replies here from UBI, most come from a swift kick to the balls 1st.
I would just be happier if they would let us know how much longer we on PC have to wait. But that’s the point! They NEVER let us know but still want us to pat them on the back for a great job...good job or not, support is lacking, even if we do end up with the Hardcore mode, and I for one really would like to see it.

deadlyartist
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Lets Just hope that they release the hardcore mode for PC and it works as it should Unlike the hardcore mode they released for Rainbosix Vegas 2 pc which was broken and yet to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!

Pacient.cz
05-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, to be honest I expected 2 -3 weeks delay after consoles release, so end of May 09 is the point when I would start to be really nervous.
But still - its not easy to try calm down our members on czech players scene, and its even harder, when we havent from UBI one single word about PC patch for few weeks.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

GFEInJecTioN
05-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Yes Pac!ent my friend,these ppl are totally irresponsible...and they have lost lot of players in Far cry 2 community already..for sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-22-2009, 01:23 PM
What I would also like is a hardcore mode for single player too. I hope the delay is because they`re incorporating stuff like this for Single players as well as the game certainly deserves this extra mode.

Black_Widow9
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
As Atmon stated (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/8971018037/p/1), Hardcore mode will be available for all platforms with the next wave of patches. So when the patch is available for PC you will have it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TAW_OKay
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the hardcore mode involve less skill. With increased weapon damage if you see them, they're pretty much dead. But as it is now you have the oportunity to turn around and kill them in the head before they finish off with torsoe shots...if you have the skill that is.
Is that how it works?? Let me know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

deadlyartist
05-23-2009, 01:30 PM
No Hardcore mode takes more skill and quicker reflexes.Most games as you play now have been catering to a no skill fps fan base as oppose to when they first were released on pc.

Think back to ravenshield,ghost recon just to name a few PC games.Then consoles became mainstream and ruined the genre for us hardcore tactical players.Devs see the easy sale,ease for release on console and parents who buy their brats what they want with out doing proper research and now we are stuck in an era of bad product after bad product with quick money for publishers and dev teams to cash in on.

Hardcore mode should not be called hardcore no less than an arcade mode should be called arcade. Hardcore is to similation as arcade is to fantasy.

Hate everyone crying camper what about tactics I don't see or have seen any war where bullets are being shot and people are running around like idiots trying to get a kill.

A famous movie Rambo did he run and gun or did he use tactics? Those that want to run and gun should play games like Quake,Unreal,Unrealtournament halo 1,2,3 and etc... its more your game style The army developes a game called the america's Army and they put you through a training course,I bet at anytime doing the course your not taught to run and gun like an idiot.

P.S. Aren't weapons suppose to cause damage or just flesh wounds?

JET-WTF
05-23-2009, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
As Atmon stated (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/8971018037/p/1), Hardcore mode will be available for all platforms with the next wave of patches. So when the patch is available for PC you will have it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then can we have a hardcore thread in the PC forums, as well as a patch info and all other sticky pertinant to PC threads that were left in the console section? OP only is needed we can add new comments/questions.

Maybe 5 minutes work copying the OP and starting a new thread in this forum. leaving the thread in the console section SAYS its for console regardless of what Atmon said originaly.

We PC players should not need to or be forced to go to the console forums for information for PC FC2.

@TAW_OKay

Right now you dont need to see them to get the kills, theres that stupid *** nametag above everyones head. If your bullet can go through it, the nametag shows.

Losing the nametags above the enemies makes it easier? making the weapons better balanced so its not all AS50 or MGL matches easier?

AS50 without hardcore: look for the nametags and shoot below them regardless of being able to see the player or not. get kills and dont see the players themselves is easy no skill kills otherwise known as noob.

AS50 with hardcore: Scan the area, spot someone and either get a kill or they duck behind concealment/cover and you dont know where they are. assault rifle players can now sneak up on the sniper using foliage for concealment.

SeaFireLIV
05-23-2009, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadlyartist:
No Hardcore mode takes more skill and quicker reflexes.Most games as you play now have been catering to a no skill fps fan base as oppose to when they first were released on pc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. If you have tried the more realistic FPS` like Red Orchestra where one to two shots means instant death you`ll see how such games create a greater skilled player. Not only is the player forced to be more skilled (accurate), but he also starts using better tactics when facing his foe because he knows he cannot just jump into a major fight without being almost immediately killed.

Just like in reality.

JET-WTF
05-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah FC2 is lousy for accuracy, most good games its 2-3 rounds from burst to the body for a kill, with FC2 its near a clip to the body per kill and that with an AI thats standing still. all games headshots are a sure kill though.

I aim for chest(heart) and let the recoil put a couple more rounds upwards, usualy get a headshot kill without headshot notification in near all the games i play. With FC2, repeat usual kill tactic again and again because it seems only the first bullet registers as a hit. thus near a clip for body shots. I shouldve frapsed it but a friend of mine stood still and let me test it. yup near a clip for a body shot kill.

tested in another game, dead with 2 rounds. again another game 3 rounds. same scenario.

The AS50 is fine as it is with body/headshots, but instant death when shooting a foot??? thats a bit too much when it takes near a clip to the body with all assault rifles. I dont know about the noobs here but if I took a 5.56 or a 7.62 round to the torso im not going to be doing anythin but screaming like a schoolgirl and not shooting back. I expect a good game to have the same affect.

Pacient.cz
05-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Once I read post from COTaBucky HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/9331090657/p/10)
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">"PLease NEVER ,NEVER do this again!!!!Some of the weapons work great but the bullets just STOP existing at a rediculously short distance on some of the guns(ar15,and mounted guns for example)."</span> I started to have some worries about weapons balance whose should be made by patch. I really hope that UBI will not even decrease range of assault rifles bullets, because then it would be worse than now.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Se please "let the bullets fly" same as they do in real life. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-24-2009, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pacient.cz:
Once I read post from COTaBucky HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/9331090657/p/10)
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">"PLease NEVER ,NEVER do this again!!!!Some of the weapons work great but the bullets just STOP existing at a rediculously short distance on some of the guns(ar15,and mounted guns for example)."</span> I started to have some worries about weapons balance whose should be made by patch. I really hope that UBI will not even decrease range of assault rifles bullets, because then it would be worse than now.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Se please "let the bullets fly" same as they do in real life. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, sure, let them fly, but them let them lose killing power and accuracy (as they lose momentum)the further they go.

TAW_OKay
05-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Ofcourse the bullets stop killing when you get to a certain distance because of the loss of momentum. Thats obvious and NOT a flaw that should be patched. Let the bullets fly? You mean have infinite speed? Come on.

Second of all, I like the resistance of the AI and the online opponents. It means you have really got to shoot them a considerable amount of times before they die. I own COD 5 on PS3 and I think its teeeerible. It could be the fact that I dont particularly like FPS games on the PS3, but what I do know for certain is that you could kill someone without even knowing yourself because you were shooting for someone else and you got a lucky shot on someone in the distance.

FPS games on Console are as boring as sin, maybe I would have enjoyed COD 5 more on the PC. Im gonna try Modern Warfare 2 on the PC to see what I think.

TAW is Recruiting! (http://taw.net)

MChat
05-24-2009, 09:20 AM
The wall at 500 meters for sniper rifles is ridiculous. And this wall doesn't exist in Single Player mode. This is what I'm talking about:

See a player a long ways off, bring up the scope, line up on his head (noticing that the red tag above his head doesn't show) pull the trigger. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Nothing all he hears is bullets wizzing over his head. Take ONE step forward, notice now that the red tag appears over his head, line up, pull the trigger: KILL.

Obviously the engine doesn't support gravitational and weather effects on bullets. But just having a "wall" out there at some distance is stupid. The maps are, if I'm not mistaken 1000 meters across: ANY of the sniper rifles in the game can hit man sized targets at that distance. Any of the 5.56 or 7.62 based weapons in the game can hit targets at that distance (just harder to do w/ open sights). Snipers are already limited by the weak scopes in the game (e.g. A head sized target at 500 meters through my 16x scope on a .308 is easier to see than the entire body of a player at 500 meters w/ the AS50 in game). But then snipers are given the benefit of being able to walk around scoped in with a bench-rest-steady aim and standing vs crouched is the same steadiness.

Give me hardcore mode, decent vegitation and a ghillie suit in game and a good sniper will be very hard to FIND (much less shoot) in game, even with the ridiculous tracers (NO sniper will ever use tracer rounds, OR the most worthless 2nd weapons upgrade: a flair Gun). Even without HCM, I am able to sneak around in the jungle coming forward just enough to find a target, pick it off, then move on, at least on some maps. I've gone 16/0 on maps with decent vegitation, not a huge kill, but I'd rather have a decent KDR than a stack of kills and just as many deaths.

Now if you want a game that has gravitational and wind effects on bullets, multipower scopes, differences in steadiness between standing, crouched and (gasp) PRONE, heart rate affecting steadiness, breathing affecting steadiness (with an "empty lung" button to short-term improve steadiness) then try Sniper Elite. It even has a cool "bullet camera" mode in single player where it follows the bullet to it's target. Good luck finding this 4 year old game though. Perhaps we'll get lucky and someone will produce another like it someday. I'd love to play FC2 maps with Sniper Elite's engine (where 1000 meter + shots are possible).

Shadyhot27
05-24-2009, 02:41 PM
MChat is right, sniper elite is the end all sniper game. I own that one and FC2 would pwn if it incorporated those bullet physics. There's nothing like shooting some guys ear off at 2000+ meters from under a wrecked truck.

SeaFireLIV
05-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I think the problem is such rules for online play with badly unbalance the game for everyone except snipers. The ordinary non-sniper guy wouldn`t be able to even start without being constantly sniped to death, especially if the game world distance cannot go further than the sniper rifle. Then everyone would just take sniper rifles and sit around in silent servers with the odd shot ringing out for anyone who dares poke his head up.

This would destroy the enjoyment for those who do not want to be snipers in a sniper world.

I play only offline these days (too many jerks online), but I was in one game where sniper rifles were used on maps that were too small and unless you were a camping sniper, the game was useless to anyone. You couldn`t even set off from the start point without your entire group getting wasted every time.

Eventually, no one except sniper played.

In this game, you`ve got to limit the reality distance of sniper rifles if you expect anyone to play the game online. Offline it`s no issue cos only AI suffers if you`re a sniper guru.

Pacient.cz
05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take ONE step forward, notice now that the red tag appears over his head, line up, pull the trigger: KILL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I talk about, Of course assault weapons must lose killing power and accuracy regarding to distance (as all other weapons should, AS50 included..!), but now its like the wall on 100 +/- meters and it doesnt matter if you aim good or not, you cant hit oponent because of that "wall" and I say that shooting/damage distance range for them should be increased.
If you like that you can aim to your oponent head with scoped AR-16, emptying half clip to him and then he turns arround and get you down by one shot from AS50, just because that "distance limit", then OK, you dont need to agree.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Black_Widow9
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JET-WTF:
Then can we have a hardcore thread in the PC forums, as well as a patch info and all other sticky pertinant to PC threads that were left in the console section? OP only is needed we can add new comments/questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I added the Patch Update (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/8151049857) Thread but wouldn't you guys rather have a Hardcore Mode thread when it's released?

JET-WTF
05-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I believe having a hardcore thread would be good for new PC people to see whats up and coming. if its only in the console side then they may not know about it or think it may be for console only either way isnt good..

TAW_OKay
05-25-2009, 03:22 AM
I put my hand up about the momentum thing. What MChat was chatting on about was spot on and the "wall" is unforgiving. Ive never played SniperElite, but im imagining fairly limited game play if its just about sniping.

About all the campers that just snipe... that is why Ubi added the banning feature to all admins. It gives the ability to the people who host servers to make and execute there own rules. When I host my server the 2 weapons I ban are MGL (who doesn't) and the AS50. In small maps a shot to the head or 2 shots with the M1903 of the Druganov are harder than using the FAL etc so they are better of using the other weapons. And with the bigger maps, the sniper may have the advantage but it doesnt ruin the fun for the people who decide to use the FAL etc because if they get shot with one bullet, they know it was a good shot.

In my opinion, AS50 just ruins the fun.

TAW is Recruiting! (http://taw.net)

_

MChat
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAW_OKay:
About all the campers that just snipe... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a difference between "campers" and "snipers." A sniper will make just a few shots from one place and then move on to another place. A camper will sit in one spot until he's killed and then will go back to the same spot after he respawns. I've been on maps where any sniper was called a camper; I guess they want a sniper to come down and march down the street like Rambo. Sniping in games like FC2 is about the Kill-Death-Ratio. The idea is to kill without being killed, not see how many kills you can rack up (regardless of how many deaths it took to get there).

Unfortunately on some maps there's only one or two "good" sniping positions (which generaly means I switch from a sniper to a pray-n-sprayer). The addition of a prone position would greatly improve this.

I play mostly sniper, becuase it's more realistic. Real warfare isn't like Rambo. In reality when the bullets start flying, you get behind something - QUICK - and then peak out for looking for targets; using covering fire to move quickly from one hidey-hole to another. But games like this are more geared to wannabe Rambo types... charge down the middle of the street guns blazing. So the typical auto-weapons become weakened to support that style of play... but then what do you do about sniper weapons? Either you have "unbalanced" sniper weapons or you have seemingly invincible players.

In reality an AS50 isn't going to kill someone by hitting them in the elbow or foot. But it might as well be a kill (said target would be missing whatever limb was hit). As for 1 shot 1 kill torso shots with an AS50, in real life the 50 cal would practically turn someone inside out hitting them in the torso, so I'd say that's pretty realistic.

Black_Widow9
05-25-2009, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JET-WTF:
I believe having a hardcore thread would be good for new PC people to see whats up and coming. if its only in the console side then they may not know about it or think it may be for console only either way isnt good.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You asked for it, you got it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Although, there isn't any new information.

JET-WTF
05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Black Widow, now who said you guys just lock threads or ignore us....

SeaFireLIV
05-25-2009, 04:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MChat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAW_OKay:
About all the campers that just snipe... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a difference between "campers" and "snipers." A sniper will make just a few shots from one place and then move on to another place. A camper will sit in one spot until he's killed and then will go back to the same spot after he respawns. I've been on maps where any sniper was called a camper; I guess they want a sniper to come down and march down the street like Rambo. Sniping in games like FC2 is about the Kill-Death-Ratio. The idea is to kill without being killed, not see how many kills you can rack up (regardless of how many deaths it took to get there).

Unfortunately on some maps there's only one or two "good" sniping positions (which generaly means I switch from a sniper to a pray-n-sprayer). The addition of a prone position would greatly improve this.

I play mostly sniper, becuase it's more realistic. Real warfare isn't like Rambo. In reality when the bullets start flying, you get behind something - QUICK - and then peak out for looking for targets; using covering fire to move quickly from one hidey-hole to another. But games like this are more geared to wannabe Rambo types... charge down the middle of the street guns blazing. So the typical auto-weapons become weakened to support that style of play... but then what do you do about sniper weapons? Either you have "unbalanced" sniper weapons or you have seemingly invincible players.

In reality an AS50 isn't going to kill someone by hitting them in the elbow or foot. But it might as well be a kill (said target would be missing whatever limb was hit). As for 1 shot 1 kill torso shots with an AS50, in real life the 50 cal would practically turn someone inside out hitting them in the torso, so I'd say that's pretty realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with much of your points, but I disagree that being a non-sniper makes you rambo. If the game had realistic bullet hits then there would be no rambos, but people working in teams to clear an area.

Also, in real life Snipers cannot clear an enemy area alone or we`d only have snipers wouldn`t we? That`s why we need the grunts to go and pacify an area; the ordinary assault soldier is just as important as a sniper.

The ordinary soldier doesn`t want to die any more than the sniper, but someone`s gotta go where the sniper fears to.

MChat
05-26-2009, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I agree with much of your points, but I disagree that being a non-sniper makes you rambo. If the game had realistic bullet hits then there would be no rambos, but people working in teams to clear an area.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most multiplayer games I've been on with an "arcade-like" damage system, the vast majority of players use the charge-full-steam-ahead-pray-n-spray tactics of Rambo and some even bunny hop around as if they're the abominable offspring of Rambo and the Energizer Rabbit. That could relatively easily be remedied without making the damage more realistic by changing the behavior of the cross-hair.

Currently on every FPS that I’m aware of, the cross-hairs are in the exact center of the screen so whatever you’re looking directly at is what gets hit, no matter if you are in a full sprint or hoppy around like a mad rabbit high on Redbull. Change it so that the cross-hairs move around off of center based on your movements: the more violent your movement the farther off of center it moves.

Stand still or creep forward slowly and the cross-hairs are centered. Walk around and the crosshairs move in an arcing motion from lower left to high-center to lower right, probably as much as an 1/10th screen off center. Go into a full sprint and the cross-hair moves around in a more random and violent pattern ranging as much as 1/3 to 1/2 off-center. Start jumping around and have the cross-hairs jump from one side of the screen to the other, up and down completely off screen at times with the possibility of even shooting yourself in the foot if you’ve got the trigger pulled.

It'd probably be easy to even have professional soldiers come in using infrared lazer pointers mounted on simulated weapons and have them attempt to keep the weapon pointed at a spot on the screen as they stand, creep, walk, jog, run, jump and even crawl. Then base the amount of movement off of center on those results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Also, in real life Snipers cannot clear an enemy area alone or we`d only have snipers wouldn`t we? That`s why we need the grunts to go and pacify an area; the ordinary assault soldier is just as important as a sniper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but in real life soldiers don’t just run around shooting each other (e.g. Team Death Match); there’s a mission 99% of the time. The multiplayer modes like Capture The Diamond and Uprising go a long ways toward replicating this and in these modes the sniper role is reduced to what it should be: a support/cover role. Protect the vital asset (in FC2 diamons/check point) and/or keep the enemy pinned down so your ground team can do their job.

I miss the game mode (I forget what it was called) in the original Far Cry where one team was defending a base and the other team was attacking trying to take it over. There were 3 checkpoints for the 1st team to defend and the 2nd team to take over. Once the round ended (due to success or timeout) then the roles were reversed and the 2nd team was now on the defense and the 1st team’s goal was to capture all points in less time than the 2nd team did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
The ordinary soldier doesn`t want to die any more than the sniper, but someone`s gotta go where the sniper fears to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real life this is most definitely true. In game is a different story – dying is just part of the game, you try to kill as many as you can before you get killed yourself and then wait for the respawn timer to count down.

I would like to see a “freeze-tag” mode where players are dead until a team-mate “rescues” them. And the team with the last man standing wins a point. I think this might help with the Rambo syndrome a bit; as if you want to play more (longer) then you need to be smart about your movements.

GentlemanK
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MChat:

Stand still or creep forward slowly and the cross-hairs are centered. Walk around and the crosshairs move in an arcing motion from lower left to high-center to lower right, probably as much as an 1/10th screen off center. Go into a full sprint and the cross-hair moves around in a more random and violent pattern ranging as much as 1/3 to 1/2 off-center. Start jumping around and have the cross-hairs jump from one side of the screen to the other, up and down completely off screen at times with the possibility of even shooting yourself in the foot if you’ve got the trigger pulled.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the "Rambo" type gameplay is unrealistic, but the arcade damage modeling is one of the things I personally enjoyed about this game.

I just wanted to point out, that while being able to run around spraying bullets with an assault rifle accurately is unrealistic, so is the limited damage those weapons do.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is how unrealistic the as50 is. Have you ever fired a scoped rifle in real life? When you toggle your aim down the sight in FC2, it's unrealistically easy to hold your aim steady, which is something very hard to replicate in real life, especially for an extended amount of time.

Personally, I won't play Hardcore mode, allthough tbh I got sick of the constant disconnects, and other multiplayer issues awhile ago. To me, the question is, will more realism actually translate into more fun, and I don't think it will. People ask for prone, which may be more realistic, but will make snipers even more of a nuisance than they already are. You want people's crosshairs to bounce around when moving with an assault rifle, sure more realistic but it's not fun playing a game and not being able to hit anything either.

What you guys are basically looking for, in my opinion is a different game. This was made to be an arcadey shooter, and I think it was best as such. Time will tell I suppose, if/when this patch is released.

MChat
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GentlemanK:

Another thing I'd like to point out, is how unrealistic the as50 is. Have you ever fired a scoped rifle in real life? When you toggle your aim down the sight in FC2, it's unrealistically easy to hold your aim steady, which is something very hard to replicate in real life, especially for an extended amount of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I addressed this earlier, IIRC, or maybe it was another thread. Yes, players shouldn't be able to "scope-in" and then walk around with a bench-rest-steady aim. In fact just walking around should be enough to get the toilet-paper tube effect on a scope (where you're no longer seeing a perfect circle, but rather a distorted foot-ball shaped oval). A change in steadiness in standing vs crouched vs prone is definitely needed; and while I'm at it, the heavier the weapon the more unsteady the aim should be the longer it's held up. There's a reason certain weapons have a bi-pod. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As for snipers being annoying... they wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't try running around in the wide open, hopping up and down prayin' and sprayin'. The cover objects exist in game for a reason http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM

The ordinary soldier doesn`t want to die any more than the sniper, but someone`s gotta go where the sniper fears to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real life this is most definitely true. In game is a different story – dying is just part of the game, you try to kill as many as you can before you get killed yourself and then wait for the respawn timer to count down.

I would like to see a “freeze-tag” mode where players are dead until a team-mate “rescues” them. And the team with the last man standing wins a point. I think this might help with the Rambo syndrome a bit; as if you want to play more (longer) then you need to be smart about your movements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, actually, that all depends on the User, but when i did play online I did not go out to kill the most enemies regardless of anything else. for me it was about supporting your team and EVERYONE in your team trying to stay alive and making sure the other side `died`, even in gaming terms. We never just barged out looking for te most kills.

Red Orchestra is one such game which often rewarded such team work and while many play like rambo, it`s the grunts that play like realistically without dying that did best.

So, no, we don`t fight like we don`t care just cos we don`t die for real. Just like you snipers try to stay alive as long as possible even though you don`t die for real.

GentlemanK
05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I think everyone has to admit that they get a rush from topping the leaderboards, but for me it means nothing if my team has lost the match.