PDA

View Full Version : New to SH4

Rusty_S85
06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I wanted to play SH3 on my laptop but couldnt get it to work so I picked up SH4 Gold Edition and have to say I am impressed that I am able to run max graphics setting with no problems on this laptop. Only thing is I dont see the screenshots I took in game in the SH4 folder so if anyone could help with that I will post some of the screens.

Rusty_S85
06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I wanted to play SH3 on my laptop but couldnt get it to work so I picked up SH4 Gold Edition and have to say I am impressed that I am able to run max graphics setting with no problems on this laptop. Only thing is I dont see the screenshots I took in game in the SH4 folder so if anyone could help with that I will post some of the screens.

MWolfe1963
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Must be running vista....correct?

Rusty_S85
06-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Yep Vista 64-Bit

I did a search for SH4Img but found none I dont know if the screens actually saved or not but I found the PhotoSH4 or something like that which is the photos of the harbor recon I took in game.

Yooperbacker
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Hello Rusty_S85,

Have you tried using the Find feature on this forum.
Up on the left near the top of the page are tabs and one says Find. Click that and you can put in a word to search for and it will bring up post topics with that word in it. Works pretty good.

I did a search with the key words Screen Shots and I did find this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9701043185?r=9701043185#9701043185) that may answer your question. It is a post from Aug. 2007 but I think it still holds true with it's answers. I have XP so I couldn't tell ya.

buddha231974
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
I use Vista...

When I want a screenshot (for anything) I press Cntrl and Print Screen/SysRq....

The Print Screen/SysRq button is generally above the numeric keypad.

Then, go to your favourite picture editing software, and paste.... There it is!! Exact duplication.

To toggle between Silent Hunter 4 and the desktop, simply press the Windows key (the one with the little Windows icon).

Rusty_S85
06-09-2009, 01:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yooperbacker:
Hello Rusty_S85,

Have you tried using the Find feature on this forum.
Up on the left near the top of the page are tabs and one says Find. Click that and you can put in a word to search for and it will bring up post topics with that word in it. Works pretty good.

I did a search with the key words Screen Shots and I did find this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9701043185?r=9701043185#9701043185) that may answer your question. It is a post from Aug. 2007 but I think it still holds true with it's answers. I have XP so I couldn't tell ya. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally forgot bout the search feature here. I know when I took a screen shot in the "order" box at the top it said the destination to find the photos in. Strange thing is I can see find the photos I took from my recon of harbors but not the others. I will have to do a search for the BMP files to see maybe the name was changed. If not I will try out what that article said to do in the morning. Already got the laptop put away for the night.

Wolferz
06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Welcome aboard, Rusty,

It's possible that your in game shots are not even saving to the drive. It's Vista's User Account Control at work. Yooper has pointed to the thread that suggests turning this off. Not something that I would recommend. Especially with a laptop.
The best way around UAC is to use it. When you start the SH IV app, try right clicking the shortcut and select "Run program as Administrator." Your shots will save without Vista wanting or trying to ask permission. Like it does with every other input command.

A word of caution if you are running any Mods.
SH will get real squirrely if it's run as admin without first loading your Mods with JSGME, also run as Admin.

Vista is slightly different in how your SSs are saved. Run an advanced search in Vista for *.bmp
You can start your search from the little search box at the bottom of your START menu. A larger search window will open. At the top redo the search for *.bmp, but this time be sure to check the box labeled; "include hidden and system files"

It can take some time if you're packin a big drive but, your shots will show up.

Although, Buddha's method probably works just as well, it could get tedious in a large engagement. Ctrl + F-11 is my preferred method of saving screenies and they all go in the same file. Making it simple to scroll through them with Picture Viewer. From there it's a simple click to open the pic in paint so you can save it ashttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.giffile name of your choice here).jpeg.

Last but not least, it sucks total rocks that Ubi hasn't come up with a patch for SH III to run on Vista.
Thanks for helping us out there boiyz!

C'mon, all that is needed is to pull that stupid system checker out of the installer and Vista will happily jam it in the X86 programs file.

Rusty_S85
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I will try the Adminstrator route, I dont have the laptop hooked to internet as of now so I just turned that feature off but going to turn it back on. Theres all these warnings on the tool bar at the bottom that wasnt there before. But I got some screenshots and they worked fine. I will probably post them in the screenshot competition.

On SHIII, it does suck because I have never played through the whole game I never got past 1943 since I was playing realistically. I put it on Vista laptop even ran it as adminstrator and it just wouldnt run kept telling me its for Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows XP or something to that extent. I did a search for that though but I kinda dont want to mess up a new laptop so I just picked up SH4 with the U-boat add on so atleast I can command a U-boat.