PDA

View Full Version : To what Dark Gods, PunkBuster?

devtain
02-14-2009, 06:36 AM
No, I seriously want to know... To what Dark, Perverse, Hate-Filled, Vengeful, Demon-spawn, Insane, Monster Gods do I have to sacrifice things to get PunkBuster to work?

Please, please tell me, UbiSoft. There is nothing hacked or scripted or otherwise tampered-with about my installation of Far Cry 2. I regularly run the manual PB update check to see if I have the latest version, and it tells me that I do.

So why -- seriously, why -- can I barely finish a game at all, some nights not even a single game, without being kicked by PB?

Please, just tell me this one thing. I promise I won't ***** about the random crashes to the desktop. I won't mention the endless 'You have been disconnected from the host' game killers, often happening 30 seconds from the end of the game. I won't rend my clothes at the fact that if I had managed to finish half of the games I get punched out of, I'd be a twenty-something level player by now.

Actually, I will rend my clothes about that, since it's painfully true. Every damn level I've managed to attain has come at a huge cost compared to others who aren't experiencing the same constant (CONSTANT!) issue with PB and random disconnects.

So, please UbiSoft, tell me what I have to do? I'm begging you to either admit that this is a broken game on the PC, or tell me how I fix it so I can actually play at least a majority of the games I join to the end.

devtain

devtain
02-14-2009, 06:36 AM
No, I seriously want to know... To what Dark, Perverse, Hate-Filled, Vengeful, Demon-spawn, Insane, Monster Gods do I have to sacrifice things to get PunkBuster to work?

Please, please tell me, UbiSoft. There is nothing hacked or scripted or otherwise tampered-with about my installation of Far Cry 2. I regularly run the manual PB update check to see if I have the latest version, and it tells me that I do.

So why -- seriously, why -- can I barely finish a game at all, some nights not even a single game, without being kicked by PB?

Please, just tell me this one thing. I promise I won't ***** about the random crashes to the desktop. I won't mention the endless 'You have been disconnected from the host' game killers, often happening 30 seconds from the end of the game. I won't rend my clothes at the fact that if I had managed to finish half of the games I get punched out of, I'd be a twenty-something level player by now.

Actually, I will rend my clothes about that, since it's painfully true. Every damn level I've managed to attain has come at a huge cost compared to others who aren't experiencing the same constant (CONSTANT!) issue with PB and random disconnects.

So, please UbiSoft, tell me what I have to do? I'm begging you to either admit that this is a broken game on the PC, or tell me how I fix it so I can actually play at least a majority of the games I join to the end.

devtain

Retnil
02-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Is the updater pointed to the correct folder? When I first set up the manual updater, it was set for the game in steam. I have the DVD version. Had to manually correct the folder path.

You can always have it set to update to your desktop then copy the files over to your PB folder.

Want2Snipe
02-14-2009, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devtain:
I'm begging you to either <span class="ev_code_RED">admit</span> that this is a broken game on the PC,
devtain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they were reading & paying attention to your post right up to this part, then, everything went dark and the next thing you know... they are working on the next installment.

They thank you for your patronage though and hope that by the time they are ready to hype the next game, you have forgotten (completely) about this one and you are ready to dish out 50 bucks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

IceT-Bag
02-14-2009, 10:42 AM
PB kicks are usually caused by one of the following:

1&gt; Out of date PB (client version)
2&gt; Firewall blocking PB ports
3&gt; AV/Firewall software is too aggressive when scanning packets (I had this with Nortons Internet Security a couple years back)
4&gt; Network issues between you, the PB master server and the server you are connected to.

First thing to try is to delete the entire PB folder in your FC2 folder, then run PBSETUP to force PB to download the latest client files - this seems to fix it most of the time.

Check for the existence of PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe on your system, if either are found give them full access to the internet.

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Andromaide
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Also type into console

pb_sleep 500
pb_security 0

cheers