PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Bombing fails.

TheXenon
11-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Anyone else smoke bombing pursuer's as they're about to assassinate you and then fail? Is this a glitch? I baited someone into coming up behind me to kill me and I dropped my smoke bomb before he made any physical contact but he just assassinated me through it, was this lag or a glitch? It's happening quite often and it's annoying.

A guy even messaged me after the game and told me he was surprised to have killed me threw the smoke bomb clearly observing that I'd had thrown it at the correct time to initiate a stun counter.

Any thoughts?

TheXenon
11-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Anyone else smoke bombing pursuer's as they're about to assassinate you and then fail? Is this a glitch? I baited someone into coming up behind me to kill me and I dropped my smoke bomb before he made any physical contact but he just assassinated me through it, was this lag or a glitch? It's happening quite often and it's annoying.

A guy even messaged me after the game and told me he was surprised to have killed me threw the smoke bomb clearly observing that I'd had thrown it at the correct time to initiate a stun counter.

Any thoughts?

Wile E Coyoteee
11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm awesome at smoke bombing, idk why I don't use it more. Part of it may come down to lag, but it's about learning the maximum range of your smoke bomb, which really only comes with time. Sometimes it's almost good to pop it SLIGHTLY sooner than you know he's gonna hit it, cause he'll usually walk into it, and if not you can run away.

Other times, I'll go around a corner and wait and pop it as he's moving around the corner.

Or you can really mess with em, and if they're kinda close but far enough behind you that you can turn around and walk towards them without immediately being stabbed? Do it, and 9 times out of 10 they nut themselves and run at you. Worst case scenario they think you don't know they're there so they stay walking for an incognito kill, but at the last second you throw a bomb and punch em in the face. Infact, I can't recall a single time where that didn't work, lol.

When you turn towards them coming out of a crowd, their adrenaline kicks in and all their brain thinks about is, "OMG OMG OMG LOL!! This idiot's gonna walk right into my blade!!". It overloads them with excitement in in that split second the last thing they're thinking about is a smoke bomb, because you're moving towards them not away. They think you havn't spotted them so they let their guard down.

But yeah, to directly answer your question, once in a great while you'll pop smoke and they'll be jumping through it to stab you. Usually it just means they pretty much hit X at the exact same time you bombed, or maybe lag is a factor and in reality they hit X just before you hit bumper for the smoke. It doesn't happen that often!

berm87
11-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Wile has some great advice there. And while I haven't tested it much yet, you could also try using Mute to keep your target from assassinating you. Just keep in mind that the first Mute ability only lasts for 1.5 seconds. However, it's range is longer than the smoke bomb, so it may be an option as well.

Cronstintein
11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
smoke bomb takes like .33 seconds to actually activate whereas mute seems to be instant.

I agree with the comment about letting them run into it. You want the smoke up before they're in killing range.

TempleO
11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Also, I've noticed that if your pursuer has even the tiniest bit of elevation on you (even a stair or two on a stairway) smoke bomb seems completely ineffective.

UnsentSoul
11-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Seems like i experience the same problem. Countless times I can smoke and then stun the person no problem but 1/3 the time they walk right through it and assassinate me. The worst is the jumping assassination from behind because they can jump like 12 feet and right into the smoke and take you out. Maybe there's no hope in this situation. Just amazing that things seem to work 1/2 the time like they are suppose to. They did beta this game for the ps3 and i play on the xbox 360 so i dunno but its almost more frustrating to try to play.

TheXenon
11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
It seems we have the exact same play style when it comes to smoke bombing, almost one third of my points are from stuns. :P It just gets annoying when I pop it and then they're already assassinating me threw it.

I think it should interrupt the assassination even if they pressed the button at the same time, it should immediately stun them! That would be awesome.

kobester03
11-20-2010, 08:54 PM
I also use the smoke bomb to pull off stuns. My problem was during my last game saw the guy running towards me with the arrow above his head he stopped then started walking. Once I knew he was in range I dropped the smoke bomb. He was stunned so I turned around and fast walked up to him, hit the button to stun and get killed smoke was still on the ground when this happend. Also I'm sure he was stunned the character was bent over coughing like they usally do

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Ya I understand if they hit the x button before or around when u drop the smoke the assassination wins everytime. I just wish out of the 10 hrs. I put into the MP. I would feel like I'm getting better. It seems like luck takes over skill everytime. Anyone wanna play hit on xbox hit me up. Unsent soul

Xkorpio_769
11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
It's usually due to lag.... best is make him run towards you, then drop it, he'll definitely get caught up in the smoke no doubt. That's what I usually do and I usually end up first.

Fitzy010
11-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Works for me. :P

I was dissapointed that I unlocked a smoke bomb that lasts longer.... 1 Second longer than the orignal.

E-Zekiel
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I've had the opposite experience. On a VERY RARE (VERY VERY RARE) occasion someone will lag through my smoke, but in general? Impenetrable. I've even had times where my pursuer actually started the assassination animation and was about to pwn my face off and send me to hell, but then he started choking on smoke. Then I punched him in the face.