PDA

View Full Version : Homm V/Vista?

suprchk
09-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Has anyone besides me had a problem loading HOMM V on Windows Vista? Is there a patch for it yet? What can I do?

suprchk
09-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Has anyone besides me had a problem loading HOMM V on Windows Vista? Is there a patch for it yet? What can I do?

Inferno015
09-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I have Win Vista x32-bit with the following components:
-Pentium 2 Duo Core 1.86Ghz processor
-GeForce 8600 GTS OC video card
-3G ram
And all my device drivers are updated. There are lags during the sieges and on one type of battlefield, but other than that, I'm playing the game on high settings with no problems. I think the problems I do have are a result of poor programming.

Omega302007
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inferno015:
I have Win Vista x32-bit with the following components:
-Pentium 2 Duo Core 1.86Ghz processor
-GeForce 8600 GTS OC video card
-3G ram
And all my device drivers are updated. There are lags during the sieges and on one type of battlefield, but other than that, I'm playing the game on high settings with no problems. I think the problems I do have are a result of poor programming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this game isnt at all optimized. Even with a NASA computer the game has huge issue http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

suprchk
09-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I've got the exact same video card and it wants XP, too! I can't even load the drivers! WTH?!

alias-hw
09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Two things.

First, have you all installed the latest version of DX9 H5 is a DX 9 game and the DX10 that comes with Vista is of no use (besides the fact that it isn't downwards compatible, like they said it would be.)

Second, I think you aren't being quite fair. Heroes 5 is a windows XP game. It came out over half a year before Vista did. You can't blame the game for having problems with an operating system that is written AFTER the game came out.

That is like complaining about the fact that your VHS recorder has problems running your DVD's.

H.W.

Inferno015
09-30-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm hoping Tribes might be a little more Vista compatible. The DX thing, I'm not so sure. I might have it (DX9) installed somewhere and located in a hidden directory, but I don't actually recall installing it. It works fine for me.

Rei-V
09-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Vista is however trying to be touted as the next gen gaming OS. Whilst the original game was released before Vista, two expansion packs will have been released after it, and vista has been publicly available significantly before even the original homm5 was released (even if it wasnt finalised yet, this is why betas are available to developers). It isn't too much for us to ask them to provide some vista compatibility for this game, eventhough it originated as an xp game. I cant see a valid excuse other than laziness.

Inferno015
09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
The third game is one of those things they won't put too much effort into. Kind of like the third part of Pirates of the Carribean. They seem desperate to finish the series and start work on something new. Don't get me wrong, I've played the demo and loved it, but all they did was improvise a few new things and add them to the original game. I would defintely have waited another year for the expansion pack if it meant fixing all those damn performance issues.

suprchk
10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Back to my original question...I take it that there is nothing I can do to make my video and HOMM V compatible w/Vista? I've had this game since LAST xmas and just got the system I thoughtwould play it! Pretty soon I'm going to put it in a frame on the wall and title it "THE GAME THAT WOULDN'T BE PLAYED."

Rei-V
10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Well, we aren't exactly sure what is happening with you yet, you simply stated that you couldn't load HoMM in windows, or even the drivers.

What do you mean when you say load? Does the game crash when you try to install? Wont let you start to install? Will let you install but then not play? What drivers can't you install?

suprchk
10-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I can install the game onto my system, but not the drivers for my video card:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-GeForce 8600 GTS OC video card </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An attempt to install the drivers for the video card literally gives me an error saying it wants 2000 or XP.

The game wants (in the specs) this card to be capable of playing. The game installs, but when I start to run it, it won't open. All I get is an error message-can't remeber exactly what at the moment, but it translates as "I want XP."

umli13
10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Do you have the right drivers? Following the little driver questionaire at NVidia's site (always use the drivers direct from their site for both video cards and RAID- don't trust what comes through M$ auto updates), you should find the correct driver at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.69.html

The code is different for each OS, so you've probably got XP drivers. Like trying to use diesel in a gasoline car. Close, gotten from the same or similar pumps, but it isn't going to work.

Inferno015
10-01-2007, 01:28 PM
The game does work on Vista and I have the exact same card as you and everything works fine. Here are some possible solutions:
1.-Your card should come with an installation CD. In Vista, go to My Computer, then System Properties and then Device Manager. Click on the plus next to display adapters and check if your card is listed there. If so then do the following:
a)Click on the Update Drivers button up on the toolbar
b) Insert your installation CD for the card and install the default drivers
c)Go to Nvidia.com and get the most recent drivers for your computer

If your graphics card is NOT listed there, it is not properly inserted into your computer or plugged in or your motherboard does not accept it. This could be because something in the motherboard is busted or simply because it was not made for the graphics card (this should not be the case if you got the computer with the graphics card and never changed it). If it is not listed, open your computer and make sure it is properly fastened to the motherboard.

2.-Install Direct X9. This is available in the game's directory or at the start menu for the game.

3.-Go to the game in the start menu, right-click and select properties. Go to compatibility and check the "Run this game in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2".

4.-Make sure all other system specifications are at the game's mimimum (RAM, Processor, Hard Drive, CD/DVD-Rom Drive)

If none of this works, then there might be something else that I missed, Try contacting the developers at support.ubi.com

suprchk
10-02-2007, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inferno015:
The game does work on Vista and I have the exact same card as you and everything works fine. Here are some possible solutions:
1.-Your card should come with an installation CD. In Vista, go to My Computer, then System Properties and then Device Manager. Click on the plus next to display adapters and check if your card is listed there. If so then do the following:
a)Click on the Update Drivers button up on the toolbar
b) Insert your installation CD for the card and install the default drivers
c)Go to Nvidia.com and get the most recent drivers for your computer

If your graphics card is NOT listed there, it is not properly inserted into your computer or plugged in or your motherboard does not accept it. This could be because something in the motherboard is busted or simply because it was not made for the graphics card (this should not be the case if you got the computer with the graphics card and never changed it). If it is not listed, open your computer and make sure it is properly fastened to the motherboard.

2.-Install Direct X9. This is available in the game's directory or at the start menu for the game.

3.-Go to the game in the start menu, right-click and select properties. Go to compatibility and check the "Run this game in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2".

4.-Make sure all other system specifications are at the game's mimimum (RAM, Processor, Hard Drive, CD/DVD-Rom Drive)

If none of this works, then there might be something else that I missed, Try contacting the developers at support.ubi.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU!!!!! You are frigging AWESOME!!! Between you and my brother in law, I am playing HOMM V! Went into device mgr, followed your instr. and voila! YOU ROCK!!!!

Inferno015
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Glad to help.

Sandsai
10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
All this business about DirectX9 does not apply in all circumstances because I have DirectX10 and my HoMMV runs just fine with the exception of some graphic glitches--such as poor rendering of shadows in close zoom. But I feel that problem is due largely to the infinite wisdom of Nvidia than Microsoft's DirectX team.

Inferno015
10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
No, shadows are a detail of the game that is never truly excellent. If you download the new demo, shadows have beeen improved based on the quality you set the game to. In the previous ones, (HoF and original) shadows were always the same. Result of pooor programming.

alias-hw
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sandsai:
All this business about DirectX9 does not apply in all circumstances because I have DirectX10 and my HoMMV runs just fine with the exception of some graphic glitches--such as poor rendering of shadows in close zoom. But I feel that problem is due largely to the infinite wisdom of Nvidia than Microsoft's DirectX team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to be more precise (and please keep in mind that I have this info from a computer magazine so I don't claim to be some wiz that knows it all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif), the thing is that Direct X 10 WAS supposed to be downwards compatible, or to be more precise that besides DX 10, Vista would also have the DX 9 components which were than packed up in the whole DX 10 package.

But in its infinite wisdom (or maybe simply a blunder) there is a key DLL file missing that prevents the DX 9 part from actually working. If you really want to get technical you don't need to install DX9 again; all you need is that missing DLL file. But it's just easier to simply install DX9 and get the DLL file that way. Besides, I wouldn't have a clue what the exact name of that DLL file is.

Anyway, if your DX10 doesn't have this problem there can be several reasons for that. For instance, you, or the person you got the computer from/installed Vista installed the DX9 at some point.

Or maybe you updated from XP to vista and because of that the DLL file was still on the computer.

Or maybe you simply have a second pressing of Vista in which Microsoft went and changed this little problem.

I don't know because I can't even begin to guess what your computer situation is. But the bottom line is (or was until now) if you got a new computer on which Vista was freshly installed you need(ed) to install DX9 to make the game work.

H.W.

Sandsai
10-03-2007, 06:31 AM
I actually just got the rig a couple of days ago so none of the scenarios you list are likely. It was refurbished though, so maybe they had XP on it but I doubt it thought because the hardware is relatively new. For instance the processor is an AMD 64 x2 6000+ 3GhZ. So I don't think it is refurbished in a sense of where someone kept it for a couple of months with recurring problems and finally got fed up with it. It seems more likely that someone had buyer's remorse after the return period and attempted to defraud the manufacturer or the seller.

In any event, I do, however, feel that the latest version of DirectX10 just might contain that DLL. If not I'm lost for an explanation except that maybe the different vista versions contain different basic/core files. It would seem strange if vista home lacked a DLL that vista premium had.

alias-hw
10-03-2007, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sandsai:

In any event, I do, however, feel that the latest version of DirectX10 just might contain that DLL. If not I'm lost for an explanation except that maybe the different vista versions contain different basic/core files. It would seem strange if vista home lacked a DLL that vista premium had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

That might very well be the explanation right there.
I didn't know that Microsoft had brought out a new DX10 version. But yeah, that is more then likely it then. Good, now I can stop going it to the ˜it needs DX9 explanation and simply say ˜you need to download the latest version of DX 10.

Oh, and for different version DVD's for Vista... there aren't any (if the comp magazine was correct.) On every Vista DVD that is sold there is the same version of Vista, namely the ultimate one (or how the most complete one is called.) It's the product key that you get with the DVD that determines which version is unlocked, so what you have access to.

So, on the DVD, all the files are the same, it just differs in what files are bing installed all depending on the access key you got. Even the difference between the 32 and 64 bit version....

Or so the magazine said. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H.W.

Sandsai
10-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Latest as of August.