PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Classes or Place your own Weapons?

FALLEN CHAMP
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
For me the weapon class thing made building maps a real nightmare, my style is run and gun although I don’t mind a bit of sniping in the right maps.

With FC1 I could build a map and place the weapons where I wanted them, sometimes I would put one sniper rifle in a central area which would be balanced for either team to get to – this meant that once this weapon was picked up until it respawned no one else on the map would be sniping.

Now if I made the exact same map in FC2 I have no control – depending on what weapon classes’ people choose can and often does have a huge part in how a map plays. I was constantly battling to try and chop down the snipers view and make it difficult for them. Often I made small CQC maps which was a nightmare for the long shooters among us.

This is not a moan as such – I am trying to say that there is a split from FC1 & FC2 – I am sure many many people love the weapon class system but there are also those that like placing their own weapons in a map and having a little more control so the map plays how they want it to be.

It is just like wanting to host a game of pistols or rockets only – we are the creators so it would be nice to have both options, a classic mode in multiplayer and in the editor which allows us to place our own weapons and pick up weapons from downed players would be a move that might keep both parties happy but do the developers have the balls to do it.

I was not a fan of the weapon reload boxes in FC2 – but I could see how they could flow players around the map to get to them, I much prefer picking weapons up from the ground as in FC1
(an option to keep both parties happy is what I say - FC1 was more arcade orientated and FC2 went for realism, why have a split when you could cater for each fan from previous games)

FALLEN CHAMP
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
For me the weapon class thing made building maps a real nightmare, my style is run and gun although I don’t mind a bit of sniping in the right maps.

With FC1 I could build a map and place the weapons where I wanted them, sometimes I would put one sniper rifle in a central area which would be balanced for either team to get to – this meant that once this weapon was picked up until it respawned no one else on the map would be sniping.

Now if I made the exact same map in FC2 I have no control – depending on what weapon classes’ people choose can and often does have a huge part in how a map plays. I was constantly battling to try and chop down the snipers view and make it difficult for them. Often I made small CQC maps which was a nightmare for the long shooters among us.

This is not a moan as such – I am trying to say that there is a split from FC1 & FC2 – I am sure many many people love the weapon class system but there are also those that like placing their own weapons in a map and having a little more control so the map plays how they want it to be.

It is just like wanting to host a game of pistols or rockets only – we are the creators so it would be nice to have both options, a classic mode in multiplayer and in the editor which allows us to place our own weapons and pick up weapons from downed players would be a move that might keep both parties happy but do the developers have the balls to do it.

I was not a fan of the weapon reload boxes in FC2 – but I could see how they could flow players around the map to get to them, I much prefer picking weapons up from the ground as in FC1
(an option to keep both parties happy is what I say - FC1 was more arcade orientated and FC2 went for realism, why have a split when you could cater for each fan from previous games)

WretcheddDrake
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, I never played Far Cry 1 for the PC, but I played Far Cry Instincts up to Predator for the Xbox consoles and Far Cry 2. I agree with your point.

I'd much rather have greater control when it comes to making the maps the way I want to by adding weapons where I feel they fit best.

The weapon class system was atrocious, most of the time you only had one useful weapon out of 2 and it didn't provide any strategy to the game.

First few months of the game everyone just ran around with the grenade launcher (noob tube) getting easy kills and the whole weapon class system was imbalanced.

And of course, it being Ubisoft and all, didn't bother to even address these issues until the game population died off.

I hope they don't repeat the same mistake.

SHilander
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
If they replicated the balance they had in FC1 (PC), then I think that would be nice. A lot of games seem to be unbalanced these days when it comes to classes in MP mode. But, if done right like in FC1 then it can be a real blast to play.

legacyzero
06-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Great post.

If you ask me, I think they can BOTH exist. Here's how.

-Make it where it is a validation requirement that the Map maker place a certain amount of weapons in the map in order for the map to clear and be validated.

-Allow the person hosting the map to choose between A)Use the map author's placed weapons; or B)Use a set of Pre-determined classes that the map author made; or C)Use a set of pre-determined classes created by the Devs.

I prefer weapon placement, to be honest. I allows the Author of the map to better control the map and it's balance per his vision.

It also is just as the OP said. I like having only 1 or 2 snipers in my maps, and with classes, this makes it annoying as more people who snipe (or think they can snipe) turn it into a long range contest. I've had some of my maps' potential reduce because of this. Not to mention, I cant place powerful weapons in hiding places to reward people that explore.

Classes in general are a bad idea. But they can co-exist.

killa_677
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
You should be able to make your own classes for weapons like in COD. You should be able to place weapons on the map. And that's about it.

Negrumir
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Copied from my bost at fcmaps.net

I say no classes, placing weapons is far superior.
But hear me out.

I'd like to have both, Halo Reach did it well. You can have classes and customize them. this is very useful for objective modes like Invasion. However, the core gameplay is still based on weapon pick-ups this is much better for balanced gameplay as you can decide where rockets and snipers are and lay everything out the way you want. It also allows you to restrict the weapons to what you want.

But what I'd really want comes from one of my absolute favorite games of all time: Timesplitters.
Firstly and unlike Timesplitters, I want to be able to place all the weapons on the map at once, TS only let you place 6 different ones at any given time. The feature that I want from TimeSplitters is the weapons slot design. Say you have six weapons per map, you can place as many of those six as you want, but you can only have six different ones. So (and I'll use FC2's weapons as an example) you first place the Makarov as a base weapon, then the Uzi, then the AK-47, you also have a Homeland-37, an AS-50, and a CARL-G as power weapons. This set up could make almost any player made map so much better.

1. Makarov
2. Uzi
3. AK-47
4. homeland-37
5. AS-50
6. CARL-G

Now why do I want a slot system?

Say your buddies want to play a snipers only match, instead of exiting the game, opening up the editor and replacing all the weapons with snipers, you simply change the weapon slots in the match options.

1. M1903
2. M1903
3. Dragunov-SVD
4. Dragunov-SVD
5. Dart Rifle
6. AS-50

Which means that wherever you placed the previous 1 - 6, the new weapons will take their place on the map. If you only put one CARL-G (weapon 6) like you should have, there will now be only one AS-50, if there were originally two AS-50s, one per base (weapon 5) there will now be two Dart Rifles in their place.

This also allows you to make easy adjustments without having to edit the map for testing something new. Don't like the CARL-G? Replace it with an MLG-140. Homeland-37 seems useless, go a different route by swapping it for a Mac-10.

The default weapon setup should be saved with the map, but should be changeable during matches to allow for fun custom games.