PDA

View Full Version : is 300 watts enough power??

mex-assassin-
08-29-2004, 10:17 PM
whats the least power that i need to run a rig with the following specs??

windows xp home/ed

p4 2.8 ghz ~ 2.9 ghz HT.. 800fsb/1mb cache

ABIT AS8 mobo Intel 865PE/ ICH5-R Chipset
8x AGP..

ge force fx 5900 xt 128 mb

1 gig of pc3200 c2.5 PQI memory (2 x's at 512mb each)

memorex dvd 8x burner..
dvd rom....

was working fine..but i installed a spectrum fan card and it seemed to be working fine... but now i tried to install games and it locks up... i just disconnected that damn fan... and it still locked up.. i did a restore on windows and see if that works.. was working fine till today.. can it be the power supply? nothing is overclocked... also another thing...what can i do to help with the heat.. it gets hot very fast especially when i play doom 3 at high specs.. and far cry at high specs.. i had to remove one panel of the tower to get extra air in there.. is a bigger power supply gonna help with the heat??

mex-assassin-
08-29-2004, 10:17 PM
whats the least power that i need to run a rig with the following specs??

windows xp home/ed

p4 2.8 ghz ~ 2.9 ghz HT.. 800fsb/1mb cache

ABIT AS8 mobo Intel 865PE/ ICH5-R Chipset
8x AGP..

ge force fx 5900 xt 128 mb

1 gig of pc3200 c2.5 PQI memory (2 x's at 512mb each)

memorex dvd 8x burner..
dvd rom....

was working fine..but i installed a spectrum fan card and it seemed to be working fine... but now i tried to install games and it locks up... i just disconnected that damn fan... and it still locked up.. i did a restore on windows and see if that works.. was working fine till today.. can it be the power supply? nothing is overclocked... also another thing...what can i do to help with the heat.. it gets hot very fast especially when i play doom 3 at high specs.. and far cry at high specs.. i had to remove one panel of the tower to get extra air in there.. is a bigger power supply gonna help with the heat??

fabulouscoops
08-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Bigger PSU will not cool your case. I have heard folks who had sucess opening their box and blowing a big fan into the case. There are aftermarket coolers available from zalman, volcano, and others.
Heat might be the cause of freezing games. Far Cry and DOOM can tax your CPU and GPU to the max.
If you have a good name brand power supply, then 300 Watts should be enough but a poor quality PSU could be doing you in if you have installed upgrades lately.

P4-HT 3.0 GHz (northwood, 800MB FSB, 512k L2 Cache) @3.12 GHz, Win XP Home SP1
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 256 bit (oc:412/366), Directx 9.0C, Cat 4.9 beta
1024 MB (2x512) Mushkin PC3200 DDR 400 RAM [2-3-2-6], Intel D865PERL Motherboard
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW, Audigy 2ZS, SATA WD 37 GB Raptor, WD 120 GB Caviar
19" flat screen CRT @90 Hz, 400 Watt Antec PS
3DMark03 5860; aquamark3 47,300

ToranagaSama1
08-30-2004, 01:24 AM
First, the Power Supppy (PSU) has little to nothing to do with cooling your system. At best the fan(s) inside the PSU will pull *some* air out of your system, but that's not fully its purpose.

Overheated CPU and/or GPU and/or Memory can cause "lockups".

The "fan card" *may* help in particular situations, but your situation is not one of them. At least, not at this point.

First, how do you *know* that, "it gets hot very fast"? You need to determine your in-game temps. Google and download Motherboard Monitor, set it up to log temps every 30 seconds. Report back to the thread, Case/System and CPU temps. Don't know if the fx 5900 has a temp sensor, but if so, then records some temps as close to in-game loads as possible.

A quick and dirty way to test if you have a heat issue is to completely take off the side panel and point a Desktop Fan blowing air into the case. If the lock ups stop, then you've got a heat issue.

What happened when you removed "one panel of the tower"?

Several things can be done to address heat issue(s), but first make sure you actually have a heat issue, as the problem could be something else; such as poor quality memory. You can test for memory quality, but first you need solve or eliminate the heat issue.

Need to determine if its the CPU, GPU or both.

Luck!