PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer is a ghost town?

nobikaigan
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Sure, I am pretty new at the game, but I have found that everytime I venture into the ubi.com multiplayer area...tumbleweeds! I played the game a few weeks to get used to it in anticipation of some multiplaying, and nothing?!?! Am I doing something wrong? I just log in from the main menu in the game and nave see any ongoing games.

nobikaigan
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Sure, I am pretty new at the game, but I have found that everytime I venture into the ubi.com multiplayer area...tumbleweeds! I played the game a few weeks to get used to it in anticipation of some multiplaying, and nothing?!?! Am I doing something wrong? I just log in from the main menu in the game and nave see any ongoing games.

Rafe1
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I simply don't have the time to play online,and I think most people are still occupied with their first careers.

ken4045
11-21-2007, 03:49 AM
nobikaigan was there yesterday and played time was about 14:00 and there was three of us. It might be you're time zone I live in the U.S. my time zone is EASTERN STAND TIME. I will try to be there around 11:00hrs to day.

NIMITZ1967
11-21-2007, 09:40 AM
One of the things that works against on-line play is the very nature of the type of warfare we are dealing with.....

The role that these subs mostly played was as a Lone Wulf......

I realise that 'groups' or 'pack' attacks did exist in the Pac war, but these were generally, on my understanding, 'ad-hoc' affairs...not standard proceedure as it was for the Germans...

So, with the clandestine nature of these missions, it follows that most of them should and are carried out alone...

This , sort of, works against the entire concept of on-line play, in my view and my view alone...

I would just love to know how to start the online thing so that i could at least 'have a go' and see what it is like...

another one of my handicaps from not knowing , really, how to use this computer properly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

nobikaigan
11-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the responses... I was also kind of wondering how and online patrol would play out, how would time compression and communications be handled, and how stable the game would be. I know the historical inaccuracies of 'wolfpacks' in the Pacific, but the opportunity to play online with others is too tempting. I am currently stationed in Hawaii (yes, Pearl Harbor...) so the time zone thing might be an issue, I usually check the online games after work, about 16:00 here, which is 18:00 in PST and 21:00 EST, so I might be missing the times when games are started. I would think that if there was a game in progress it would show up on there, and the times I've looked, I never even see a game being played. That leads me to believe that possibly I was not configured properly to play online... But I have the latest patch (1.3 I think) and a fast connection so... Anyway, I'll keep chugging along and see. Any other inputs are appreciated!

Flamewagon
11-21-2007, 12:51 PM
You know I have never been on multiplayer yet and I bought the game when it came out. With each patch I restarted my sub career and I guess I just stayed there. I may well check it out.

Vlaba
11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
This is where a DD hunter group add on would shine. You'd need to confine the battlefield, such as setting up a scenario, in order to mix it up without huge time commitments. Didn't SH3 have some talk about this with some other sim UBI was (or did) release?

nobikaigan
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Yea, I have been checking the online room every so often and I have still never seen anything in there... I am really concerned about that. I am wondering if for some reason my setup is not correct, improper ports enabled or something like that, but I get no error messages or anything, even when I set up to host a game. So my question should be, does anyone ever see another player in the multiplayer room, or is itr alwways empty?

nobikaigan
11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
OK, topic can be put to sleep for me, I found some games going on this weekend, and was successful in playing a game online. Not too bad, but I found myself wanting to set the time compression during the slow parts, but that is a no-go! Thankfully the MP games start right next to the targets... I'm considering starting a thread for MP 'pickup' games, so ppl not enlisted in online squadrons can try to play online once in a while.

walkirie
11-26-2007, 11:48 AM
You cannot use Time compression in Multiplayer

mush1960
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
My brother and I regularly link up online. While he's setting up a scenario and I'm waiting in the ubisoft lobby, I've noticed the same thing, i.e. very few games around. We're on around 20:30 at the weekends (GMT) and see only 1 or 2 other games looking for people. In SH3 it was a lot busier. Maybe people are still struggling with getting SH4 through the patches and working properly - it is a bit resource intensive.