PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Original DVD

mukojin
03-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Is it possible?
I bought mine from ubishop, but always play on the copies (for protecting the original).

Tried to dupe the original DVD but it wasn't accepted by the protection system.

So is it any way for me to do a legitime backup copy?

(Please no piracy flame posts, its a legit claim from a legit owner....)

mukojin
03-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Is it possible?
I bought mine from ubishop, but always play on the copies (for protecting the original).

Tried to dupe the original DVD but it wasn't accepted by the protection system.

So is it any way for me to do a legitime backup copy?

(Please no piracy flame posts, its a legit claim from a legit owner....)

eddie_wood
03-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I guess the policy is that if you break the DVD they will send you another.

steve_v
03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
You're probably not going to like this answer, but

In a nutshell, you have not purchased the game or the files on your disk, you have purchased a license to use them, subject to any agreements you clicked "yes" to when you installed the game. There should be a license txt file in your SH 3 directory which spells it out for you. Also, discussion of no cd cracks, disk imaging, etc is not allowed per forum guidelines.

Here is a legitimate solution addressing your concerns: D-Skin Disc Protectors http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3429438

If some damage should occur to your disc, UbiSoft will replace it for a small fee. Consult your manual for details.

Lastly, its been almost 20 years since I got my first cd player and have owned hundreds of discs. Do you know how many I've damaged in that time? None. They sat in the sun in the car and at the beach and just kept on playing. Hopefully, your luck will be as good.

mukojin
03-31-2005, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys....
Not an easy topic, with no solution in sight, other that baby caring for this dvd...

Regards...

mightyduck100
03-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Mukojin, the whole reason the copy protect software is on the DVD is to stop you duping your original for ANY purpose whatsoever.

For every owner like you who a legit there are 10 other bods out there trying to blag a free copy. If no one wanted freebies there would be no need for any copy protect and the world would be a happy smiley place.

Like steve_v I treat my CD's and DVD's rather badly but so far...touching lots of wood... they seem to keep coming back for more.

The pressed DVD's and CD's which come off a manufacturing line are generally much better at coping with surface damage than the DVD's you use for data backup.

I've done system test on music CD's by punching 3-5mm holes in them at quarter circumference intervals. The ECC still coped and it played without and jumps or breaks and you wouldn't know the CD looked more like a sieve.

So chances are you'll be OK.

vandal2k5
03-31-2005, 06:46 AM
This game uses Starforce.

In other words, not a cat in hells chance. In past experiance though, when I've damaged a disk the publisher replaces the disk for free if I can prove it legit etc. Had to pay for postage and that but worth it.

eddie_wood
03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mightyduck100:

I've done system test on music CD's by punching 3-5mm holes in them at quarter circumference intervals.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this to my son's rap music CD's....

mightyduck100
04-01-2005, 07:44 AM
---------------------------------------
I do this to my son's rap music CD's....
---------------------------------------

Nice work eddie_wood. I wish I could do that to some of my girlfriends CD's. :-)

uncle_newt
04-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Naw...put 'em in the microwave and watch the light show! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

---------------------------
Disclaimer: not responsible for any loss of life or limb. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

klh
04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve_v:
Here is a legitimate solution addressing your concerns: D-Skin Disc Protectors <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a note that the D-Skin may not work. My DVD-ROM reads SH3 just fine through the D-Skin and gets to the startup menu, but Starforce can not verify through it on my machine.

Not a problem really - I've never damaged a disc before.

JaFO_NL
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve_v:

In a nutshell, you have not purchased the game or the files on your disk, you have purchased a license to use them, subject to any agreements you clicked "yes" to when you installed the game. . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's only valid if you see the agreement *before* the actual sale.
In any other case you can disregard any such 'agreements' as they can't be legally binding.

// ---
There is a solution ... it's called warez.
Ubisoft have attempted to cripple any fair use of their product, so I'd say they get what they deserve this way.

steve_v
04-01-2005, 03:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JaFO_NL:
There is a solution ... it's called warez. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Heres something you may find interesting.

Feds Crack Down on Software Piracy Sites
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=108&sid=440348

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Three members of a global computer piracy ring admitted Thursday they shuttled millions of dollars in computer games, movies and software around the world through a coded system of Web sites and chat rooms.

The men pleaded guilty in U.S. District court to federal copyright charges, becoming the first people convicted in what the U.S. Justice Department said was the largest-ever investigation into software piracy.

Their arrests came after FBI agents in New Haven spent more than a year looking into the underground "Warez" community on the Internet.

-------------------------------------

Maybe when you're done reading that, you could revisit the forum terms of use you accepted when joining to understand just how unacceptable your post content is.

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wantout.jpg

Captain_Prinz
04-01-2005, 08:25 PM

In a nutshell, you have not purchased the game or the files on your disk, you have purchased a license to use them, subject to any agreements you clicked "yes" to when you installed the game. There should be a license txt file in your SH 3 directory which spells it out for you. Also, discussion of no cd cracks, disk imaging, etc is not allowed per forum guidelines.

Here is a legitimate solution addressing your concerns: D-Skin Disc Protectors http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3429438

If some damage should occur to your disc, UbiSoft will replace it for a small fee. Consult your manual for details.

Lastly, its been almost 20 years since I got my first cd player and have owned hundreds of discs. Do you know how many I've damaged in that time? None. They sat in the sun in the car and at the beach and just kept on playing. Hopefully, your luck will be as good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MY COMMENTS ON THIS ;-)
This might be true and all but it sounds a bit like a redundant arguement for two reasons :

ONE : By installing the game you already violate the agreement that you may not copy it. Thus you effectively have made a "copy" of the digital and protected data by installing it on your HDD and having a copy on DVD. So you violate the agreement as soon as you click install. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TWO: By not installing the game you have not agreed to any angreement and thus have a certain right to make a backup copy, even if you do not know what is on your owned dvd.

Just a thought to stir up a few emotions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Comments welcome.

indylavi
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
You can backup a Starforce protected game. The only problem is that you won't be able to authenticate the CD (or DVD in this case) if you want to play it. However, a 1:1 copy of all data on the CD can be done. But you will still need to use your Orig. disc to play or bypass the copy protection and thus doing something illegal. So basically, what's the point. Besides, with the cost drop, you should be able to pick up a new copy soon for about $20