PDA

View Full Version : Where FC2 might fail. discuss.

adarwinter
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Where farcry 2 might fail:

We all have high hopes for this game and wishing for the best and while some aspects of the game does seem promising (large open ended world, many weapons, nice graphics etc) there are some areas of the game that, according to videos or lack of information, might be a fail after all.
Where's the features I fear will disappoint:

1) AI the Africans we are fighting in FC2 just doesn't seem to really know how to handle cover... at all. I cant barely recall a video of AI running for cover or shooting behind one. They have no peaking animation, which might be OK, but they COULD straff like the AI in crysis or stalker but they just don't seem to do that. Up to this point it seems like the AI in farcry 2 can chase u when u drive away and run like crazy only to stand in the open and fire at you.

2) STEALTH a big concern of mine. It seems like the AI will detect the player way too easily regardless of noise and distance of a player's shot. There have been a few video attempts of a demonstrator to make a stealth approach NONE got it right. It is really that hard to pull off? Will the AI really discover u after the first shot? Can we sneak behind the AI if we crouch and walk slowly? Can they hear silenced shots? How fast does it take them to detect u if u r in their cone of vision? According to latest videos the stealth mechanics just doesn't seem to work as well as in other games...

3) NIGHT TIME - there are over 30 videos of gameplay but only a handful of them take place during the night. Why is that? Can it be that the night time is just not very attractive nor effective? According to the videos that DO show night time it looks like the night is way too bright, the view distance is way too big and, as said before, sneaking during the night seems to fail just as much as in day time.

4) MULTIPLAYER no info yet. Does UBI really have so little to show us that they are saving it so long? If the MP was deep and interesting like it is in COD4 than we would probably see a lot of it by now and get UBI to promote it heavily getting the hype up. However if there is not a lot to show than they can delay it's reveal for a few more weeks. Im just feeling like the MP in FC2 will be a shallow experience and really nothing special.

5) Testing the MAP EDITOR yes, the map editor is awesome and a great addition but right now it feels like it's the only compelling thing about the MP but what im worried about is that many ppl will make many maps by themselves but will find it hard to really test them and play on them enough to enjoy their creation. Why? I think that if I create a map and want to test it than I need ppl to play on it. I need to host a match and get ppl to get into my match, but if the MP of FC2 is as week as I feel it would be than ppl would be more prompt to play on more full servers or SADS (if they exist) and not on some esoteric server with no players. And if someone DOES join my server than for how long will they stay? And if I do get players to play on my map I will only get them to play on it again if it's good enough to get "promoted". Ppl how create not-so-hot maps will not have a lot of chances to test them (and perhaps to improve them that way).

6) RUN AND GUN - a lot of us expect this game to be somewhat realistic but the lack of prone and leaning \ peaking movements this game might be a really chaotic run and gun, offline and online. leaning movements promote a more tactical approach to cover. it gives an incentive to find cover cuz u can lean out of it to fire while partly concealed. if u can't use cover that way than why would u bother at using cover?
i hope that the no-crosshair will force ppl to use iron-sights which slows them down enough to make the game feel more real.

These are my concerns. Want to add more of your own or discuss these 6? Please do so.

adarwinter
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM

We all have high hopes for this game and wishing for the best and while some aspects of the game does seem promising (large open ended world, many weapons, nice graphics etc) there are some areas of the game that, according to videos or lack of information, might be a fail after all.

1) AI the Africans we are fighting in FC2 just doesn't seem to really know how to handle cover... at all. I cant barely recall a video of AI running for cover or shooting behind one. They have no peaking animation, which might be OK, but they COULD straff like the AI in crysis or stalker but they just don't seem to do that. Up to this point it seems like the AI in farcry 2 can chase u when u drive away and run like crazy only to stand in the open and fire at you.

2) STEALTH a big concern of mine. It seems like the AI will detect the player way too easily regardless of noise and distance of a player's shot. There have been a few video attempts of a demonstrator to make a stealth approach NONE got it right. It is really that hard to pull off? Will the AI really discover u after the first shot? Can we sneak behind the AI if we crouch and walk slowly? Can they hear silenced shots? How fast does it take them to detect u if u r in their cone of vision? According to latest videos the stealth mechanics just doesn't seem to work as well as in other games...

3) NIGHT TIME - there are over 30 videos of gameplay but only a handful of them take place during the night. Why is that? Can it be that the night time is just not very attractive nor effective? According to the videos that DO show night time it looks like the night is way too bright, the view distance is way too big and, as said before, sneaking during the night seems to fail just as much as in day time.

4) MULTIPLAYER no info yet. Does UBI really have so little to show us that they are saving it so long? If the MP was deep and interesting like it is in COD4 than we would probably see a lot of it by now and get UBI to promote it heavily getting the hype up. However if there is not a lot to show than they can delay it's reveal for a few more weeks. Im just feeling like the MP in FC2 will be a shallow experience and really nothing special.

5) Testing the MAP EDITOR yes, the map editor is awesome and a great addition but right now it feels like it's the only compelling thing about the MP but what im worried about is that many ppl will make many maps by themselves but will find it hard to really test them and play on them enough to enjoy their creation. Why? I think that if I create a map and want to test it than I need ppl to play on it. I need to host a match and get ppl to get into my match, but if the MP of FC2 is as week as I feel it would be than ppl would be more prompt to play on more full servers or SADS (if they exist) and not on some esoteric server with no players. And if someone DOES join my server than for how long will they stay? And if I do get players to play on my map I will only get them to play on it again if it's good enough to get "promoted". Ppl how create not-so-hot maps will not have a lot of chances to test them (and perhaps to improve them that way).

6) RUN AND GUN - a lot of us expect this game to be somewhat realistic but the lack of prone and leaning \ peaking movements this game might be a really chaotic run and gun, offline and online. leaning movements promote a more tactical approach to cover. it gives an incentive to find cover cuz u can lean out of it to fire while partly concealed. if u can't use cover that way than why would u bother at using cover?
i hope that the no-crosshair will force ppl to use iron-sights which slows them down enough to make the game feel more real.

These are my concerns. Want to add more of your own or discuss these 6? Please do so.

SS4Real
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
You covered all of my major concerns as well.

Regarding the AI, I agree that so far we have not seen anything even up to par with Crysis (which still wasn't that great). FEAR and STALKER, after the patches, are the best AI I've ever seen. From the vids, the AI's reactions seem very odd.

Regarding Multiplayer, you hit the nail on the head. It scares me as well the Ubi has bombarded us with vids and info regarding all features of the game except multiplayer (minus the map editor). Maybe they're saving it, maybe not. We'll see.

Regarding Run & Gun, I will guarantee this will be a run & gun. Although large maps can help with some tactical gun play, the gameplay is def. not designed to be played in a tactical manner. Especially with no prone, cover systems, lean, etc. But I'm not saying this is a bad thing, that's probably their market. I mean isn't this primarily being pushed to the console crowd?

needfarcry
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM
im concerned 2 but none of the far cry games ave had a cover system or a lean action but they still work i loved far cry instincts predator
the only thing that really worries me is the AI wich as been as be stupid in all of the far cry games-the AI just stands there shootin at you waiting for you to shoot them, its been like this in every far cry game(if you ave far cry for the xbox or PC you'll know what i mean)
i hope they fixed that they said the AI coners and flanks you but thAT MIGHT be all the AI does HOPE NOT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif
my other concern is the stealth- some times when im playing far cry instincts predator i get spoted from miles away when im prone in a bush and even i cant see my suroundings.
i hope the only reasons the stealth vedios didnt work is because the ppl playin were not so good.

any way these things might worry me but i still think that far cry 2 will be a great game i've pre-orded it for the X360.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
P.S.-if you disergre please post your coment.

zX Sword Xz
08-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Regarding "Run and Gun", you're right, I don't know why alot of game developer are excluding the leaning/peaking feature of their games. This a really nice feature not only for SP but great in MP. I only play online game, and without these feature, I really think it will take away some of the more tactical approach. Also, I saw some one mention about scope, when scoping, the need to make it realistic. Just don't make the aim stay one place, have it moving around with your breathing.

WalkingEviction
08-29-2008, 02:05 PM
The thing that seems to concern me the most is the night problem. I really like playing games during the night time, but it's just not dark enough in Far Cry 2, and things like fire and streetlights do not produce enough difference in lighting.

You'd think this can be solved rather easily by dimming the ambient lighting even more (or perhaps getting rid of it), but for some reason, the devs decided to make night even brighter than some shaded areas in the day time.

Our best hope is that they had it brighter in their presentations on purpose, and that you can adjust the brightness levels, but that's just being optimistic.

The AI seems to me to be the next biggest problem. They do need some better cover mechanics. All they seem to do is stand and shoot once you are at firing range, rarely moving. However, I really like the way the AI stumble when you shoot them while moving.

I hope the fact that the devs hadn't showed any actual footage of mp doesn't mean that mp is currently unplayable. If it is unplayable, I hope it's because they are still working on it, and not because it's riddled with bugs.

Brimtown
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
To me, multiplayer seems to be the biggest question mark of this game. From what I've seen so far, the single player and map editor look impressive.

The only thing we know so far is the four game modes (no Seek & Secure or assault?). What we don't know is just how much customization will be available for the given modes. If we're given enough freedom with the game modes to create our own game types, then it could be a great thing. If, on the other hand, we're limited in what we can do, it's really going to have an impact.

Want2Snipe
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Your post, while SPOT-ON, might not bode well with the masses here. It appears to me the majority here are more concern with "Eye-Candy-esques" features than gameplay.

What do I mean by that? not many care about weapon ballistics, bad ai, cover systems in general but are more preocupied if there will be caves, more animals in the maps, if fires will be seen during the days. Kinda makes you think if this is going to be a First Person Shooter Game or a National Geographic Mini-Series. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Don't get me run, I don't mind all the eye-candy and cool graphics, it only enhances the inmersion of the game but, when that is substitute as the best thing in the game and the other aspect is secondady... there is no inmersion or replayability for me.

THE_C0RVAX
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
ima be playin on a hard difficulty so that should eliminate any bad ai and run n' gun. hopefully.
stealth and leaning are gunna be a big issue with me, but the thing that it will come down to is the multiplayer.
i think youl agree with me that having good multiplayer machanics and gameplay is of MILLIONS more importance than the editor and for that matter any other part of the game. if ubi fails at the multiplayer then 99% of my anxiousness and hype for this game goes to the trash.

SS4Real
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Want2Snipe:
Kinda makes you think if this is going to be a First Person Shooter Game or a National Geographic Mini-Series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by THE_C0RVAX:
i think youl agree with me that having good multiplayer machanics and gameplay is of MILLIONS more importance than the editor and for that matter any other part of the game. if ubi fails at the multiplayer then 99% of my anxiousness and hype for this game goes to the trash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. And like brimtown said, either way the multiplayer turns out will have a major impact on the game. It's something I hope Ubi is putting a significant amount of time into.

adarwinter
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
SS4real - FEAR has a great AI but it's a corridor shooter and shouldnt be compared to open area shooters. in FEAR the devs programed every possible cover-node and flanking option so the AI will choose between them in an interesting way, but in a closed environment like in FEAR there aren't THAT many options for the AI so there is only so much they can do to surprise you or adlib with.
STALKER's AI is remarkable and the biggest reason why im looking forward to "clear sky" - more of the same amazing AI. the fire fights in stalker are the best i have ever had, even though crysis did a pretty great job too.

needfarcry, if u have ever played the PC farcry than u shouldnt complain about the AI and stealth. the PC version was great in that department - u could hide and sneak around, stealthy killing ppl with a few head shots (too many, though) and the AI was very manoeuvrable and flanked around u and sought u out in a very realistic fashion (kinda like in stalker or crysis today). ut was ab awesome and clever game, for the most part.

HOWEVER u shouldnt compare FC1 to FC2. they are NOTHING (nothing nothing nothing at all) alike. u can compare crysis to farcry but not farcry2. that said there is no lesson learned in FC1 that passed along to FC2 and there are no faults in FC1 that u should be worried that will pass to FC2.

now, c0rvax, you are hyped about the MP of FC2 and it kinda worries me that u might be really disappointed since u r hyped about something u know nothing about besides how it looks like. how can u afford you fragile heart to be hyped about a game aspect u haven't seen or heard anything about.
i am only hyped about what i have seen and i have seen a LOT about the SP and it looks pretty good.

want2snipe - i think that one of the sure shots of FC2 is the replayability . if there's one things it seems to be doing right and in a unique fashion is how open and free the game is, which means that u feel like there are many more ways to tackle the challenge and i think there really is.

THE_C0RVAX
08-29-2008, 06:28 PM
im hyped because this game has the most potential ive seen since counterstrike: source to have what i want in the mp. although mp hasent been previewed before you can still look at the things they have shown in sp and get forsight into what might lie ahead. i sounded like a nerd there. woot.

Poseidon.MDM
08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
This is probably the most needed thread at this time, and i urge everyone to share their thoughts in hopes that it will be heard in time.
I am most worried about the AI, stealth, and night. The AI seems to be the most bug-ish and glitchy aspects of the game from what we've been allowed to see, and I don't even want to think of what we havn't seen.
The stealth function has proved fatal more than not, and enemies seems to know your location with only one bulet shot. THe night footage also seems uncomplete at the least, and the great graphics and lighting are severly handicapped.
I have never purchased a Ubi game before, and I hope to god they can pull this one off

Comatose23
08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:

These are my concerns. Want to add more of your own or discuss these 6? Please do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 I'm pretty sure the AI do whatever they want. Not what the programmers told them to

2. In the movies I watched the AI looked right at him when he was seen, or he threw a grenade... not too stealthy there

3. Maybe they don't wanna show to much of the game, give us something to look forward to

4. Same as 3

5. Maybe you can use LAN? Remember its testing and last I recall testing is so you can see if your map is good or not, not play it with other people

6. They said crouching gave you enough cover, and I'm guessing that you're going to want your sights/scopes/whatever you have on your gun, just like in COD4

Those are my thoughts on your worries, so if you think about that and agree with me, you won't have to worry.

Only worry I have is that Co-op probably/won't happen (I don't know for sure)

Mt.Tomba
08-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I just hope it doesn't constantly crash. It seems to crash a lot in the demos, and UbiSoft's track record isn't all that great when it comes to making stable games. I don't really care about multiplayer that much... Team Fortress 2 is constantly being updated with new content, and Left 4 Dead is coming out in November with lots of free content after release. I don't really need any of these other games for multiplayer as long as Valve keeps making multiplayer games that are way more interesting and long lasting than everyone else's.

I think most gamers' standards for AI are incredibly high. Every time a game is released the forums explode with "THE AI SUCKS!" posts. I can guarantee almost everyone here is going to be disappointed with the AI of Far Cry 2 just like everyone on Crysis forums, STALKER forums, Half-Life 2 forums, Call of Duty forums, BioShock forums, etc. are disappointed with the AI in those games. It's just something that has a long way to go, and developers promise way too much.

bongomast3r
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM
You've covered my concerns too, adar. I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied on all the points you mention, but truly satisfied? I dunno. This game looks like the balls (that's a good thing) and I guess deep down I'm expecting a lot, but I should know better than to overhype a game. The AI won't be perfect, but really there's no reason we shouldn't expect the best AI to date. I just hope we can be a lot more tactical and subtle than in the videos we've seen. If a sensation of stealth and deception can last for just a few minutes before a full-blown battle breaks out then I'll be happy, because I know that explosive battles are where FC2 really seems to shine.

I can tell you a few things I'm absolutely sure FC2 won't fail with are: immersion, the open world and the dynamism of it all. You only have to look at a few videos and screenshots to see that we're in for an absolute treat there.

About things that we haven't really seen (nighttime, multiplayer), I'm hoping it's for reasons other than that they're not very good. I'm sure we will have a few suprises in store for us. I hope we don't know everything good about this game already.

Staticks
08-30-2008, 12:25 AM
The lack of weapon attachments and configurable firing modes is another bummer that might further detract from the realism and depth of the gameplay.

adarwinter
08-30-2008, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Comatose23:

1 I'm pretty sure the AI do whatever they want. Not what the programmers told them to

2. In the movies I watched the AI looked right at him when he was seen, or he threw a grenade... not too stealthy there

3. Maybe they don't wanna show to much of the game, give us something to look forward to

4. Same as 3

5. Maybe you can use LAN? Remember its testing and last I recall testing is so you can see if your map is good or not, not play it with other people

6. They said crouching gave you enough cover, and I'm guessing that you're going to want your sights/scopes/whatever you have on your gun, just like in COD4

Those are my thoughts on your worries, so if you think about that and agree with me, you won't have to worry.

Only worry I have is that Co-op probably/won't happen (I don't know for sure) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - i am also sure that the AI in FC2 will be quit autonomous but that doesnt mean they know what to do or do it properly. i think that placing cover nodes in a large open environment like in FC2 is almost impossible which means that i dont know how the AI will treat cover if at all.

2 - that is also true in many cases, but just the fact that no gameplay video (not talking about well edited trailers) managed to get a stealthy approach is strange.

3 - we HAVE seen a few night time videos and they weren't really impressive and even now, after we've seen night time, they still avoid it in presentation and such. even where u see a demonstration of the day-night cycle (the safehouse "Scene") where time passes by) the cycle is abrupt once the night arrives and we jump to a different material.
all the demos of the game or the map editor are during the day. it's strange, and along with the fact that night just looks dull and underwhelming i get the impression it is, with a lack of better term, MEH.

4 - yes. naturally i agree that they are saving more info for later (that's for bongomast3r too) but if there was a lot of interesting info than they would have already started sharing it (COD4's MP hype was built over 3 or 4 months at leasy). this isn't GTA IV where there are no videos of gameplay but it still came out right. this is UBISOFT and FC2 where we have over 50 videos and 50 previews of any other game aspect. besides the MP. i just feel there isn't any depth to MP and all of it can be shared in one preview and a quick single video.

5 - to test a map u need it at fell capacity and see how it's balanced. and than u need to improve it afteru played it enough. once isn't enough.
this seems like a problem to me. and without the ability to place AIs in a map the editor loses a lot of it's appeal in my opinion.

6 - we can only guess and i hope what u said is true enough, but COD4 was a real run-and-gun and in hardcore (no crosshairs) it was really easy to run and spray since movement was so fast in that game.

now, c0rvax, u dont sound like a nerd, bro. not more than anyone else http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and i know what u mean - we can see how the weapon handle, how the movement feels and how much weight there is to the controls, and also the options of vehicles, explosives and such. but still... there's a lot more room to go wrong than there is to go right. IMO. the MP doesnt seem to have anything to make it stand out.
if this game had MP on the single SP map than it could have been a lot more innovative (like GTA IV is) and could have had a great potential to be unique. im not sure why UBI went the direction they did.

oh, and staticks, even though im right there with u on the weapon costumization thing i came to agree that it doesnt fit the settings that much. it makes a little more sense than the weapons in africa are low tech andd stock. no military equipment and gear like laser sights, red dots and silencers that are separate from the weapons. but i still think that inside the story there could have been a character than has military contcts and can suply with this kinda gear thus making the both of us really happy.
either way this is not a deal breaker to me and i grew to accept it. there are good games without weapon costumisation. however i dont take games with poor AI or poor MP or poor game mechanics (stealth and night time) as good games. these aspect ARE deal breakers if too many of them go wrong.

pavelfire
08-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Well, multiplayer is still some kind of "top secret", dont know why but it take too long.
Good point is that possibility of map testing. I understand that Ubi have some worries about too many maps, but if you cant test them online, you cant pimp it up. Maybe they should make some "testing channel" or so one... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But, one more very very important thing: <span class="ev_code_RED">ANTICHEAT PROTECTION </span>!?!
I really wonder how this game going to be protected against cheating and file tweaking...
Crysis multiplayer become joke after "Longpokes" looser ruined servers. I hope that FC-2 wouldnt be same case. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ynck
08-30-2008, 03:02 AM
Don't think you have to worry about 1 and 2.
For 3 check the iffy and spiffy from the latest preview of gamespy. 5 is IMO not important.

What I'm concerned about is a mix of 4 and 6.

How challenging will multiplayer be? Will it be for sugar-eating, Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, rank addicted kiddies?

I like run and gun but not COD4 style.

IceT-Bag
08-30-2008, 05:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Comatose23:
Only worry I have is that Co-op probably/won't happen (I don't know for sure) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Confirmed as not happening a good while ago http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Taylormademerc
08-30-2008, 05:38 AM
The AI is fine now that they have been touched up, when the game comes out all your worry's should be fixed

adarwinter
08-30-2008, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylormademerc:
The AI is fine now that they have been touched up, when the game comes out all your worry's should be fixed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what makes u so sure?
have u played the game yourself? if not than that is wishful thinking and nothing more.

Sheep117nl
08-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm mostly interested in multiplayer (I have xbox live and a full friendlist and that makes multiplayer a great experience). I fear that the vast majority of the online population will be making bad, non working maps which they think are really cool and then try to play them with their friends who have their own set of horrible maps they want to play.

A lot of kids will be making maps that are far to big or "fun" maps like floating city's and dark "sneak" maps and all the kids will be constantly screaming to play them.

Another problem is that Ubisoft probably wont give us enough tools to customize the gameplay. There are four multiplayer modes. 2 of them are standard deathmatch which is mostly boring and chaotic. One of them is CTF which is a solid choice but wont keep us playing for that long so I hope that either the last mode is brilliant and competetively balanced or they give us enough options to customize the gamemodes.

I just hope the basic gameplay is solid and that a community will arise that plays a good set of epic and balanced maps. If that happens this game could become a great multiplayer game.

potter_025
08-30-2008, 08:07 AM
You raise excellent points but can I remind you of some things?
- The AI are dumbed down in videos to show more of the game. The creator has a room full of people and doesn't want to spend half the presentation struggling to kill a few people.
- Stealth is no doubt hard, SAS and Delta Force are maybe the only ones that can truly complete it. The game's stealth is to ensure there is a quality of difficultness, if it was all stealth, the game would be incrdibly boring.
- The map editor complaints was hard to understand. But I agree, you need people in it, remembering it's map editor, not forge.

I really hope the multiplayer is worked on and has a fantastic ranking system with great customizable characters, or else once SP is complete, the game will sit up on my shelf for some time.

adarwinter
08-30-2008, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by potter_025:
You raise excellent points but can I remind you of some things?
- The AI are dumbed down in videos to show more of the game. The creator has a room full of people and doesn't want to spend half the presentation struggling to kill a few people.
- Stealth is no doubt hard, SAS and Delta Force are maybe the only ones that can truly complete it. The game's stealth is to ensure there is a quality of difficultness, if it was all stealth, the game would be incrdibly boring.
- The map editor complaints was hard to understand. But I agree, you need people in it, remembering it's map editor, not forge.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the AI is on easy. it isnt dumbed down. the way it's thinking is exactly the same on all difficulty levels. it's just how many hits they can take or how well they aim that differs. (i dont regect completely the notion that the easier AIs will be less prone to take cover and flank but it's just less likely...).

about stealth - in games stealth works differently. u dont have to be ex-military in games to be stealthy. there are enough games where u can be stealthy or aggressive with easy. the AI needs to not be able to detect u when it shouldnt.

Comatose23
08-30-2008, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IceT-Bag:

Confirmed as not happening a good while ago http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep seeing this, but wheres the link that tells us this? All I see is people on forums saying its not gonna happen, never a link or anything

IceT-Bag
08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
It was in one of the videos, think it was LP who confirmed it.

aa___ron
08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
It's funny how I have "concerns" about this game after watching alot of footages, I guess I'm just worried that I might expect too much from it and get disappointed like I was with Assassin's Creed (completely irrelavant I know but that was the first time I waited for a game to come out, normally I just go and buy them, never had to look forward to one).

I see that you've mentioned STALKER too, and it's funny from the impression I got, everyone seems to be absolutely convinced (including me) that Stalker:Clear Sky will be amazing, even though there are close to zero footages of the game, especially on their gameplay aspects. Yet I worry about this game after seeing so many, I guess sometimes it's not always a good idea to reveal too much after all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

KrAzY1337
08-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Run-and-gun with 'lack of prone'? The prone is a disaster in Far Cry Instincts, Evolution and Predator in multiplayer...

And as for the Editor, at least make your map appealing and balanced and your 'map name' appealing before gaining popularity.

THE_C0RVAX
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:
the AI is on easy. it isnt dumbed down. the way it's thinking is exactly the same on all difficulty levels. it's just how many hits they can take or how well they aim that differs. (i dont regect completely the notion that the easier AIs will be less prone to take cover and flank but it's just less likely...).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

id disagree with you there mate. id say that on the harder difficulties the ai improves greatly. i think ive read this in multiple interviews but im not sure.

aa___ron
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Wanted to rant about it but couldn't find an appropriate thread and I don't think it's significant to start a new one, so here I am.

Just saw the "Tree regeneration" footage, and I noticed a 50cal pistol round coming out from a desert eagle managed to cut a tree's branch with diametre of atleast 15cm in one shot, let's assume that's possible, but not only that, the branch flew and flips around a few times before landing... I mean... man I would need a 6lb cannon ball to achieve that.

adarwinter
08-31-2008, 02:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aa___ron:
Wanted to rant about it but couldn't find an appropriate thread and I don't think it's significant to start a new one, so here I am.

Just saw the "Tree regeneration" footage, and I noticed a 50cal pistol round coming out from a desert eagle managed to cut a tree's branch with diametre of atleast 15cm in one shot, let's assume that's possible, but not only that, the branch flew and flips around a few times before landing... I mean... man I would need a 6lb cannon ball to achieve that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol. and THIS is the thread where u chose to post this on? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
how about "single player discussion?

oh well.

and c0rvax, i hope u r right and i hope the latter AI will be wicked, but i think building a few scripts for the AIs in more complicated than building one script and than changing some variables to make the AI a tad bit less potent.

as FC2 seems to be a lot more focused and innovative in the SP department than it seems like the problems with the night time and AI are more crucial to the success of this game.
from watching videos it really seems like during the day the shaded areas are a lot harder to see than the world during night time. this worries me.

DarkestLight
08-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Above anything else, I think Far Cry 2 will prevail, despite the evident worries of those posts before me...

I think that Far Cry 2 will be so tuned (let us remind ourselves of how long we've waited for this game) that the lack of prone, the ambience of night and the somewhat faultering AI, will be forgotten.

However, the pitfall of very main stream games, such as COD4, is the lack of a MP community. In HL2 mods, such as Zombie Panic, everyone is there to help you. You need ammo, they've got ammo for you... You're being attacked by a zombie, they come to your rescue. It is because of the low profile of such games that a very tight, heiracichal community is evident.

And this is exactly where I think Far Cry 2 might fail. Unless set up just for your known friends, it will turn into a run and gun, quick-fingered mash up, where those red bull-addicted, lifeless zombies of over skilled teenagers will reign supreme.

What a game like this needs is, in a sense, "virtual gangs" whom play off against other "gangs", with each team communicating internally via VOIP.

I fear for UBI's sake, that this will turn into a COD4 multiplayer, where you are on your own, no matter how large your team is.

ynck
08-31-2008, 07:38 AM
We need voice commands or whatever it's called like BF2.

DarkestLight
08-31-2008, 08:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ynck:
We need voice commands or whatever it's called like BF2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, but COD4 had voice chat, but most servers ommited it, due to it being seen as pointless and it annoyed people...

Personally , I have to disagree. When used properly it can be a game winning tool.

For example, when playing Zombie Panic, the zombie team was unorganized and so when the humans were camping on a hard to get ledge, they could easily shoot us down one by one... But by communicating via voice chat, I organized for everyone to hid behind a wall, and wait. Then on my mark, I ordered them to, at once, jump and walk onto the ledge. ALmost immediately the humans were panicking and we easily won the game.

Zildjian242
08-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Only thing Im worried about is the lack of mp game modes... Id love a search and destroy, any tactical type of game mode

other then that im pumped for this game

lego94
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
is voice chat in the game, i know it sounds stupid but people are making out that it isn't.

DarkestLight
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lego94:
is voice chat in the game, i know it sounds stupid but people are making out that it isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nobody knows...:S

THE_C0RVAX
08-31-2008, 11:51 AM
if voice chat isnt in then weel just use private chat, the new xbl update coming out this fall will has 8-person private chat and thats enough for you and your team. itd be very anoying sending invites though.

i dreem of a game that filters out all little kids voices over the mic. i don like them.

DarkestLight
08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
It doesn't matter if it isn't there... Skype, or Steam, are perfectly adequate for voice in game.

lego94
08-31-2008, 12:36 PM
new update sounds cool but i have a ps3
really i dont want to use skype. i think you should be able to talk in the game. for all you little kid voice haters out there. it should be like cod4 you are able to mute people so you dont have that trouble.

THE_C0RVAX
08-31-2008, 03:57 PM
sucks lego. maybe you could try 3-waying? lol talking on cellular to guys your playing. lolololololololllolololol

DeAdLy_cOoKiE
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
hangglider straps arent moving, while they did in the previous vids.. I'm curious how animal AI (independant Artificial Lifeforms) are done, and how missions/objectives are handled, but this game will not fail, it'll redefine immersion. It's all very polished and balanced from what I've seen. In fact, most everything is done to my liking. If I have to nitpick it'd be the african music, more random characters (not only black people), and I'd rename capture the diamonds to diamond rush (gold rush/treasure hunt) and that's about it.. The overall concept is good enough for a sequel (african setting), and another one (FC3) with same concept (different characters/story) but with antarctic setting..

Want2Snipe
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
My fear is that even though the map is vast, they may block it just like they did with GRAW I & II and make it so you are forced to follow a single path for the firefight.

My other fear, as someone already said is, how crash-free the game will be at final launch? If they are having difficulties at this stage, will there be enough time for them to really polish it or are we in for a rushed patch at retail launch?

Last is difficulty levels, if other UBI published or made game is any indication, the AI doesn't change much in the way they take cover, act or react, it simple goes from them diying on the first shot and shooting at walls far away from you (EASY) to needing 3 or more shots and killing you as quick as they see you no matter the distance (HARD).

So far, I have not seeing a video to the contrary.

pavelfire
09-02-2008, 03:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ynck:
Please No! Then you cant listen enemies or so one, only some silly kids screaming ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
My biggest worry is about lack of prone. Still cant imagine how I will take proper cover during reloading etc. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
And if that means weapons have small recoil, then maps would be full of snipers, squated down in high grass.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

adarwinter
09-02-2008, 03:48 AM
pavel and want2snipe - im with you in your concerns.

want2snipe - you shouldnt be worried about your first point. i am pretty sure that most of the areas u r fighting in will be very opened. if u haven't seen at least 30 videos of more than 5 missions than u should. u pretty much get how these areas are approached. unlike GRAW there are no separate maps. it's one map. it's not like every objective in hidden in the end of a linear path like MOH:A, which also was separate maps.

about the other concern about the AI - yes. im almost every game this is how the AI differs. maybe with some grace times (like in CRYSIS).

now, pavel, according to the SP videos weapons seem to have pretty weak recoil. dont u think? im also worried about how weapons will be use in this game. in COD4 SMGs have an advantage cuz u move faster with them. other than that most ppl uses ARs. it's hard to give ARs a disadvantage than makes sense in games.
i kinda trust UBI to do their best to balance the weapons but i still wonder if will be a balance to make each weapon good at it's own range and use. how will the silenced weapons give any advantage in MP?? what will make shotguns useful when the terrain is so open and large??
many concerns i have...

Mt.Tomba
09-02-2008, 04:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Want2Snipe:
My fear is that even though the map is vast, they may block it just like they did with GRAW I & II and make it so you are forced to follow a single path for the firefight.

My other fear, as someone already said is, how crash-free the game will be at final launch? If they are having difficulties at this stage, will there be enough time for them to really polish it or are we in for a rushed patch at retail launch?

Last is difficulty levels, if other UBI published or made game is any indication, the AI doesn't change much in the way they take cover, act or react, it simple goes from them diying on the first shot and shooting at walls far away from you (EASY) to needing 3 or more shots and killing you as quick as they see you no matter the distance (HARD).

So far, I have not seeing a video to the contrary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you don't have to worry about the first one, if there is one thing UbiSoft has said more than anything it's that we can go anywhere at any time. As LP said at that Swedish lan, "you do the **** you want!" (lol). And about the AI thing, I don't know if there's any game that actually makes enemies smarter on higher difficulties.

pietraszewski2
09-02-2008, 04:30 AM
i think they will fail by not putting pred in and making it too realistic

pavelfire
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM

now, pavel, according to the SP videos weapons seem to have pretty weak recoil. dont u think? ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, absolutelly... In FC is pistols pretty powerfull in close combat and assault rifles are best on middle range shooting, but you need count with recoil what makes that weapons more "balanced" . And sniper rifle is best for long distnace shooting, (well, if we dont talk about skilled players whose love to shoot sometime on short distance without scope - what is sooo impresive and I love it, but you need practise a lot for that lol.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif )
So ussually you have to go prone, to hit target with sniper rifle, what takes time and make you own more easy target. That all togteher make some "general weapons balance". Then its clear, that when they removed prone, they have to decreasing recoil, but i can imagine, that like this can easily one good sniper (or camper) take whole map under his control... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
So I really wonder how it would be balanced... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

AWC_Pest
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
You are all worried about what features of the game will be left out or not done right.

I am more worried that the game will be released unfinished and that support will quickly drop as UBI Montreal moves on to other things. If you haven't followed other UBI Montreal games, simply look up various game titles on wikipedia and on the right side it will list the team that worked on it.

Here is a sample from the following Wikipedia article (under Reception and Sales) and an idea of what we want them to avoid in Farcry2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Six_Vegas

RJL97
09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
That ws the problem of the original farcry - Too much run and gun, very little actual stealth capability.

Crysis is better IMO because it is much more tactical, and you can be stealthy without relying on cloak (but the addition of cloak makes for some really cool gameplay).

RJL97
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
But I'd say the main failing point of FC2 is that apparently it's a console oriented game that is just being ported to the PC.
As demonstrated by a map editored designed to be easily manipulated on a gamepad.

The biggest failing of this game would be to not take advantage of the PC modding community by delivering an SDK, ease of use combined with powerful modding, that would allow them to go totally wild with the existing freeform technology that farcry 2 demod for us.

IceT-Bag
09-02-2008, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJL97:
But I'd say the main failing point of FC2 is that apparently it's a console oriented game that is just being ported to the PC.
As demonstrated by a map editored designed to be easily manipulated on a gamepad.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we should stop making the argument that FC2 is a "console port" - it isnt. It was developed on the PC first, then the consoles - therefore if anything its a "pc to console port", though I'd say it isnt a port at all.

The story line is the same, the features are the more or less the same, though the PC will have certain 'improvements', mostly graphically. There was a link on these forums to an article by a games reveiwer who compared the console version to pc version, he said the difference between console and PC was like night and day - though FC2 will look amazing on consoles - it will just look really nice on a tricked out pc due to the PC's graphical advantage.

Id be suprised if the PC editor was identical to the console one, however if this is the case I totally agree with you.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the real reason lean and prone didnt make it into the game was console restriction related - but I could be talking out my back passage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For me, the SP looks promising despite certain 'none realistic' features and the lack of lean/prone, but this game is more famed for its MP (atleast on pc), and the lack of assault mode will leave original FC1 vets dismayed to say the least.

Want2Snipe
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
want2snipe - you shouldnt be worried about your first point. i am pretty sure that most of the areas u r fighting in will be very opened. if u haven't seen at least 30 videos of more than 5 missions than u should. u pretty much get how these areas are approached. unlike GRAW there are no separate maps. it's one map. it's not like every objective in hidden in the end of a linear path like MOH:A, which also was separate maps.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, therein lies the problem... all I have seen so far is Console related and NOT PC related so I can't really feel good about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by keithsprout:
Well you don't have to worry about the first one, if there is one thing UbiSoft has said more than anything it's that we can go anywhere at any time.And about the AI thing, I don't know if there's any game that actually makes enemies smarter on higher difficulties. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, forgive me for being skeptical but after watching interviews from Ubi Montreal devs about how good Vegas 1 & 2 were going to be, or how they had done this and that and we wouldn't see any problems only to find another fiasco, I am not really ready to believe in them now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ice T-Bag:
I think we should stop making the argument that FC2 is a "console port" - it isnt. It was developed on the PC first, then the consoles - therefore if anything its a "pc to console port", though I'd say it isnt a port at all.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Even though one of the UBI Community Managers have said that, I am still skeptical that it won't be. Sure, the game was created on the PC but polished or optimized for the Xbox360 (their biggest market) so, perhaps all they will do is convert what they have for the Xbox360 to the PC just like they have done with other titles. Call me crazy or a troll but we won't know this until the game is out and by then... what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ice T-Bag:
The story line is the same, the features are the more or less the same, though the PC will have certain 'improvements', mostly graphically. There was a link on these forums to an article by a games reveiwer who compared the console version to pc version, he said the difference between console and PC was like night and day - though FC2 will look amazing on consoles - it will just look really nice on a tricked out pc due to the PC's graphical advantage
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, how can we be sure, I have yet so see any BIG differences between what I have seen for PC and Xbox and the only thing I saw on PC crashed at the end http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Do you have a link on that game reviewer? If it belongs to IGN, Gamespot or any of those who always claim that UI games are almost a perfect 10, then, well... you can't really believe him, right?

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the real reason lean and prone didnt make it into the game was console restriction related - but I could be talking out my back passage
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
See, you are even thinking it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif, we (PC Gamers) are only getting what the Consoles are getting even though the PC is capable of a lot more so... why the restrictions?.

I honestly don't want the perfect/real life balanced games, after all this is a game but, I also don't want a shotgun that can chop my head off from a 100 yards out or an unmounted M60 machine gun that can easily kill me from far far away, let alone a simple pistol.

hem_dazon_90
09-02-2008, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJL97:
As demonstrated by a map editored designed to be easily manipulated on a gamepad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so thats cause us console people dont want unintuitive tight complicated controls pc games always have

SS4Real
09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hem_dazon_90:
so thats cause us console people dont want unintuitive tight complicated controls pc games always have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif
Uhhh...what? How about the full range, intuitive (every knows how to work a keyboard and mouse), easily customizable, superior control, and excellent functionality of PC controls?

Sorry I couldn't let that one slip. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Mt.Tomba
09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Do you have a link on that game reviewer? If it belongs to IGN, Gamespot or any of those who always claim that UI games are almost a perfect 10, then, well... you can't really believe him, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if I can find a link to that preview, but I remember it clearly. I think it was on Tom's Hardware or Eurogamer. They said that the console versions looked "drab and unspectacular" compared to the PC version. Of course we won't know for sure until the game comes out, but that's what they said.

Jorge-Fonseca
09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
It's not strange that the MP aspects haven't been released, Far Cry 2 is a pretty expected game with an already group of buyers. So they are probably going to take the GTAIV approach where they released the MP details like 2 weeks prior to launch. So FC2 might plan to do the same thing although I found it strange that although we were kept in mystery that LP loosely talked about the MP in Leitzig like if they had already released the information before; That is the one thing that doesn't make sense.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
09-03-2008, 03:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by keithsprout:
Do you have a link on that game reviewer? If it belongs to IGN, Gamespot or any of those who always claim that UI games are almost a perfect 10, then, well... you can't really believe him, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if I can find a link to that preview, but I remember it clearly. I think it was on Tom's Hardware or Eurogamer. They said that the console versions looked "drab and unspectacular" compared to the PC version. Of course we won't know for sure until the game comes out, but that's what they said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Eurogamer:
Linky (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=148942&page=2)

konradski
09-03-2008, 05:25 AM
i,ll have a go
fc 2 will fail because everyone will believe people who havent even played it yet and will base their decision on hear say

same way no one bought cod 4 because everyone said sp was linear drivle(it is you know)that only had two interactive scenario,s at the end of the game ,or was is three . in my exitement of never playing it after the first run thru i lost heart and went back to lemmings

ynck
09-03-2008, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pavelfire:
Please No! Then you cant listen enemies or so one, only some silly kids screaming ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
My biggest worry is about lack of prone. Still cant imagine how I will take proper cover during reloading etc. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
And if that means weapons have small recoil, then maps would be full of snipers, squated down in high grass.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh, whot? I'm not talking about VOIP. You're character should 'say' something and those who are close should hear it. Like:

I need a medic command.
I need a ride command.
etc.

Prone is not needed for cover we have crouch. Lean however could be usefull.

fastdeutscher
09-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Let's be positive for a second here. All this talk about failure? I think Farcry 2 will general fail to dissapoint if anything.

TranceRaverJay
09-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Id Like the Idea for those commands in Multiplayer.. but in single player there would be no point, so The only way that those commands would happen would be to change the whole game structure where being Multiplayer would make it a completely different game almost, and lets face it, we want this game released this October not Next!
Only thing i hope to see would to be able to zoom in on your scope with the scoped weapons and be able to zoom in on the sight on all weapons without a scope and only a sight, because this is where Bad Company Screwed up on The Demolition classes and Specialist classes.. did they run out of time to finish the game..yes i think, or they couldnt be bothered to work on it anymore and felt it was ok just to release it as it is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

ynck
09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I think this is a good thread. It made me think: Is FC2 really what I'm looking for?

My favourite BF2 mods are slow-paced and take time to learn. Far Cry 2 seems to be the opposite.

Realism, as long as it doesn't get frustrating, and atmosphere are 2 other things I like.
Realism is a marketing trick and I think the atmosphere is not dark enough.

It looks like this will be a non-linear COD4 in Africa with some additionel features.

That shouldn't be such a big problem if this game will become very moddable. However it looks like they prefer to please the consolies then the PC fans. So I'm not expecting it to become moddable.

So:
I think I stay loyal to Battlefield 2.

Want2Snipe
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by konradski:
i,ll have a go
fc 2 will fail because everyone will believe people who havent even played it yet and will base their decision on hear say
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this could be approached from both sides really.

1.- The side of the devs hyping the game & UBI mas marketing with what they want to show you so you'll pre-order only to be dissapointed because nothing looks even similar to what you previously saw on those trailers and interviews.

2.- The side of the Naysayers like me that are skeptical of everything said by the devs and UBI because of being burnt so many times already. We (or at least I) hope that this time, I am wrong so I can really enjoy the game (5th time is a charm perhaps?)... as long as the PC game is not dumb down and plays less like an arcade-shooter and more like a rated M shooter should be (to many to list but you know which games I am talking about).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eurogamer Guy from Linky:
If you accidentally stray too far the game gently tells you to go back by increasing the effects of your malaria </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmmmm, not really liking this much me thinks!

Sure, he goes on to say that it is similar to FC when you the helos would shoot you down but it was only when you wanted to go far away from the Island to see what else was there, this never happened within the confinds (sp?) of the island world.

This is another "Wait & See" part before I buy for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eurogamer Guy from Linky:
Far Cry 2 is also a beautiful game, at least on PC. Clever shading based on layers not textures means the game can scale to your PC, and the powerful demonstration machine displayed a crisp, sun-drenched, coherent and detailed landscape; one both functional and flattering, given the decision to all but scrap a HUD. Requirements will be typically lower than bitter rival Crysis, we're told, but Far Cry 2 will happily get the most out of even the most monstrous rig. Redding describes the console versions as comparable to a "medium load-out on PC", and warns us that, "graphically you're going to notice slight differences". Which we did. <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">The Xbox 360 was the better of the two with its anti-aliasing, but both looked unspectacular and even drab in points</span>. Far from ugly, mind you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

English not being my first language kinda hinders my understand of the whole paragraph but, I would love to know what rig they tested this on.

I don't understant the part in YELLOW and I read it about 3 or 4 times.

We're told Far Cry 2 is a "very short" time away from beta and will be feature-compete in just over a month. What we saw held enormous promise, but we're still a bit sceptical. An enormous open-world where you create your own story certainly sounds very impressive, but can often lead to duplicated filler content and a stale and unengaging experience. <span class="ev_code_RED">Make good on the promises </span> of variation, Ubisoft, and Far Cry 2 could cast shadows of its own.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Finally, this is the part that makes smore sense to me and it tells me this guys could be for real. The RED part is a strong one due to UBI's bad track record of not making good on their promises.

Only time will tell and I really hope they make me eat all the bad words I have said about them.

IceT-Bag
09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I interpreted the yellow bit as the reviewer saying they thought FC2 looked better on the XBox 360 (as it supports anti-aliasing) than it did on its rival console the PS3.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Far Cry 2 is also a beautiful game, at least on PC. Clever shading based on layers not textures means the game can scale to your PC, and the powerful demonstration machine displayed a crisp, sun-drenched, coherent and detailed landscape; one both functional and flattering, given the decision to all but scrap a HUD. Requirements will be typically lower than bitter rival Crysis, we're told, but Far Cry 2 will happily get the most out of even the most monstrous rig. Redding describes the console versions as comparable to a "medium load-out on PC", and warns us that, "graphically you're going to notice slight differences". Which we did. <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">The Xbox 360 was the better of the two with its anti-aliasing, but both looked unspectacular and even drab in points</span>. Far from ugly, mind you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

English not being my first language kinda hinders my understand of the whole paragraph but, I would love to know what rig they tested this on.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In short PC&gt;X360&gt;PS3 for the graphics on show in this demo.
AA on the Xbox made it look crisper than the PS3 but not at good as the PC.

"Drab" can mean dull, flat or lacking depth of colour

HTH

CuZ

Want2Snipe
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you guys reading between some invisible lines that I can't get to? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif there is no mention of the PS anywhere there, so ofcourse, I thought he was talking about the 360 vs PC, hence, my confusion. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I would agree that because AA, the 360 has some sort of edge on the PS3... don't have any of them though so I could care less! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Redding describes the console versions as comparable to a "medium load-out on PC", and warns us that, "graphically you're going to notice slight differences". Which we did. The Xbox 360 was the better of the two </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep our lines notice that the PC is the better, and therefore the comparison of "the two" must therefore be refering to the two consoles.

That is reenforced by the fact that obiously there should be no AA advantage over a PC.

Muhad
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
there are at least four main reasons for this pc game to fail ... feel free to add to the list.

1. it's a port
2. it's hacked the day it comes out
3. it's got terrible net-code
4. it's got terrible support (patches)

Muffin_man_XD
09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
You can't really judge anti-aliasing on the videos that have been shown so far so all that you can really base it on is hear-say from the show floor which doesn't count for much.

As far as the AI concerns go it looked like at PAX the AI was significantly better.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muffin_man_XD:
You can't really judge anti-aliasing on the videos that have been shown so far so all that you can really base it on is hear-say from the show floor which doesn't count for much.

As far as the AI concerns go it looked like at PAX the AI was significantly better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Check the link over the page, the AA comments (and all other external quotes on this page) were from a very early hands on by Eurogamer.

adarwinter
09-05-2008, 01:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muhad:
there are at least four main reasons for this pc game to fail ... feel free to add to the list.

1. it's a port
2. it's hacked the day it comes out
3. it's got terrible net-code
4. it's got terrible support (patches)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

muhad, i know u r disappointed from VEGAS but taking a look at the fact in handd:

1. it's a port - it's a simultaneous development made in parallel. we know the PC version will look much better, so that's not a valid point.

2. it's hacked the day it comes out - that's probably true.

3. it's got terrible net-code - why would it? many online games on PC has a wonderful net code. VEGAS is a bad example.

4. it's got terrible support (patches) - this might be true but we can't vouch for that this soon, can we

5. i just dont think the PC version will suck. im sure that it will be better than the console version just like in any other multi platform game made in the past 2 years. but it will sell less.

back to topic -
2 more points that worrie me -

7 - MALARIA - i just think that the worrie over the malaria will distract from the game too much. UBI constantly say it will not be a hussle but i think it will. if it won't than it won't be a segnificant gameplay feature. ironically enough i believe that in order for the player to feel like he really needs to take care of his reputation (notoriety) and worrie about his health is by making the sickness requent and annoying.
i just feel like it's a feature that is out of place in this game. but that is just my guess, right?

8 - WEAPON DEGRADATION - i think that, just like the malaria, it will become annoying to constantly replace weapons not because others are cooler but because your own weapon begins to suck way too fast or that u picked it up really rusty to begin with. it feels like ubi is forcing the player to buy weapons instead of picking them up by forcing a mechanic that doesnt make enough sense. yes , weapon DO degrade but over years. not hours. if we could have weapon attachments than losing a modded weapon would really feel like a loss so u will need to buy upgrades and hold on to them, but the way FC2 is doing it... i think it will be annoying to most of us, and just like point no.7 - on order for the player to feel like he needs to switch weapons this mechaninc should probably be annoying.

Want2Snipe
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
When did they started to come up with this logic that you need achievements, buying weapons, etc, etc on an FPS game?

I know I am old and Oldschool as well but, I just don't get it.

I am totally 100% wit you on the Malaria thing as well... I feel it will hinder my enjoynment of the game.

adarwinter
09-06-2008, 03:15 AM
When did they started to come up with this logic that you need achievements, buying weapons, etc, etc on an FPS game?

I know I am old and Oldschool as well but, I just don't get it.

I am totally 100% wit you on the Malaria thing as well... I feel it will hinder my enjoynment of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i love buying weapons. in STALKER it was a lot of fun, though unnecessary. UBI is trying to force us to do that from the wrong reasons though.
well, i dont think it will be a big deal.
it's just that it kinda makes me think of another subject, which i am not sure about but i will bring it up anyway
i dont think there is enough to buy in FC2 - u get to find diamonds but there aren't a lot of stuff to buy with it.
u can't customize your avatar - can't buy clothes, body armor, sun glasses, better boots, bigger backpack, better weapon attachments and stuff like that.
all u need to buy is things u just buy once. kinda like unlocking them. (weapons, bandolier, more grenades, more syringes... stuff like that). will finding diamonds loose it's purpose relatively fast?
while i dont think it's a point to "fail" in, it kinda worries me a lil.

Muffin_man_XD
09-06-2008, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CuZtds_Lst_Stnd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muffin_man_XD:

As far as the AI concerns go it looked like at PAX the AI was significantly better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Check the link over the page, the AA comments (and all other external quotes on this page) were from a very early hands on by Eurogamer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I'm saying, this was probably said by a guy who had no more than an hour or so on this game and maybe just glanced at the other versions. I'm not saying he's wrong but you can't tell until the game is in your own hands (Or until some idiot on GameTrailers does one of those comparison videos).

RJL97
09-06-2008, 08:55 AM
7. No modding support.

JMareel
09-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I was thinking of making a whole new thread addressing questions to Ubisoft and Kimi_ regarding the multiplayer but more specifically the mod-ability of Far Cry 2. My questions and concerns regarding mulitplayer are:

1) Why have they given us the idea that creating mods and SP levels will not be possible?!
Does Ubisoft really think that this game will live long past completing the SP, if they don't include the ability to mod this game and create SP experiences? You can only play the open world SP so much before you exhaust the fun possibilities! This game is an excellent atmosphere and setting for the competitive shooting and hunting mod ( Mwindaji Expeditions (http://me.g2mods.net)) that we already have started on. Not just because it is my mod idea but I really think it will be a great addition to Far Cry 2 and also bring a unique type of MP competition to the online crowd. But I digress http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

2) Why has the information and videos been lacking concerning MP this far into its production?
We are a little over a month away from release date and we have heard very little of MP features and such. I am all for realism and physics algorithms, but I can only "WOW!" so much over constantly seeing and hearing about fire propagation and "shooting branches off of trees in a storm and watch them fly away with the wind". Are they going to surprise us with new stuff we haven't heard (especially regarding mod and MP stuff) in the time frame from now and release? I certainly hope so http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif!

3) Is the option to include AI enemies/bots in maps and MP via the editor that difficult to implement?
With all the incredible things that are possible and we can place and create and then tweak with slide bars in the map editor; why not include the option to place SP bots with AI that is configurable with a slide bar tool in the map editor?! That way we can create mods and SP maps and test our map creations ourselves without having to wait for minutes or hours for some appreciative players to connect to a self-made server and play our map and help us test it out.

Please Ubisoft I implore you to listen to the public that is going to purchase this game and have the capability to keep it alive by modding it like the one I am trying to create and creating SP experiences and a more diverse MP experience. Give us an SDK for us to create multitudes of new experiences and give us some more information about MP features and such that will make Far Cry 2 stand above and beyond other games! Work with us so that we can work with you and make this game a stepping stone to the future of gaming. Make sure you pass by our mod site Mwindaji Expeditions (http://me.g2mods.net) to see what kind of unique experience we are trying to add to this great game Far Cry 2 and how we all could benefit from an SDK.

adarwinter
09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
7. No modding support. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this should be a no.9 and not a no.7 but yes. this is a very big point.

9 - NO MODDING SUPPORT!
many games have a great potential and they come near it but don't quit get there for everyone, but these individuals (that might be a thousands) can tweak these specific attributes of the game to make it juuuuust right.

there are a lot of really small things that can improve the game for many PC gamers that can be tweaked if the game only supports MODS (things like new weapon sounds, modded weapon characteristics [recoil, sway, power], modded character attributes [speed of movement, speed of healing animations] etc etc. giving the PC gamers the ability to MOD the game by giving us comfortable files to chance and tweak goes a very long way.

Jmareel - implementing AI requires the user (us) to really know how to modify and define the terrain in order for the AI to know how to nevigate around them and how to use them properly. it's a lot more complicated than it looks. if u ever created maps for games (GRAW PC, CRYSIS, BF2 etc) than u would know how hard it is for the average gamer and might be too cumbersome for the console editor (not sure that it is).

your other points are valid, imo.
and the lack of info is already a part of my initial list - is there really so little to tell us about it that they can hide it up until now?

JMareel
09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
adarwinter... I have experience with mapping for a mod called Resistance & Liberation for HL2 Source and but not with placing AI in the map. I only designed and mapped a level for the mod with terrain and brushes and some vehicles but not with placement of enemy AI. So I will take your word for it.

Like I said, I really do hope that Ubi has plans on suprising us in the near future with news about supporting modders because that could add YEARS to the game as you already pointed out. I am glad you started this thread and hope that those that have influence in the creation of Far Cry 2, will see this and other threads saying the same thing and listen to us. Let's see what we can do to drum up support for the modding community and get Ubi to listen to us http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif !

Cranium0516
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm extremely disappointed in the map editor. ONLY multiplayer? Give me a break. And then they won't even include an SDK, while their competition like Crysis is doing GREAT thanks to its SDK. Oh well, I was only looking at this game anyways.

adarwinter
09-13-2008, 03:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JMareel:
adarwinter... I have experience with mapping for a mod called Resistance & Liberation for HL2 Source and but not with placing AI in the map. I only designed and mapped a level for the mod with terrain and brushes and some vehicles but not with placement of enemy AI. So I will take your word for it.

Like I said, I really do hope that Ubi has plans on suprising us in the near future with news about supporting modders because that could add YEARS to the game as you already pointed out. I am glad you started this thread and hope that those that have influence in the creation of Far Cry 2, will see this and other threads saying the same thing and listen to us. Let's see what we can do to drum up support for the modding community and get Ubi to listen to us http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks.

i hope so as well. modding actually MADE games like CRYSIS, STALKER, GTA:SA, HALF LIFE2 , BATTLEFIELD 2, even GRAW PC and others into what they are. giving us the ability to tweak and change will really make the difference. i dont expect UBI to do that, though. i have high hopes for GTA IV PC but not so much from UBI. vegas and assassins creed were VERY un-moddable. i dont see UBI going the extra length into giving us the ability to tweak their games.

JMareel
09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">posted by adarwinter... i have high hopes for GTA IV PC but not so much from UBI. vegas and assassins creed were VERY un-moddable. i dont see UBI going the extra length into giving us the ability to tweak their games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

adarwinter... Well first off let me tell you that thanks for the high hopes of GTAIV coming to the PC. But lets not digress and make this a post about GTAIV.

Don't you think as a community we can make a difference and sway Ubi's actions in creating an SDK for us and making Far Cry 2 mod-friendly?! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If we make that big of a fuss and drum up support for the mod community we can lead a movement for a game that will include mod tools and/or SDK that could change the way Far Cry 2 is viewed and played. Let's be the voice that represents many many other gamers and make some waves that will allow us to eventually create the experience that other gamers envision for this great game. If they don't listen to us then Far Cry 2 will consquently be just one of those games that will be popular for a little under a year then fade away.

adarwinter, lets try to lead the modding community here and and your fan site farcry2game.com to get Ubi to listen to those, the gamers, who will eventually decide how BIG Far Cry 2 becomee! I'm up for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ... are you?!

KingDustero
09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I'm looking forward to MP the most. I really hope that it is good. I'm hoping that it's so good that they're saving it for us until the last minute. They've said they want their MP t be very competative. If it is going to be competative, then it has to be good. I agree that the AI don't look that good, but maybe they have the game set on easy or something. There are a couple of difficulty levels. </span>

SteveoBuTTCuTT
09-15-2008, 01:33 AM
As awesome as Far Cry 2 looks, I too have my main problems. I hope the devs read this topic.

#1. (so far) NO SPLITSCREEN
Now I know what your thinking, "PC OR NONE N00B". Believe me when I tell you my PC can run this game. I want the Xbox 360 version though. I play Far Cry Instincts Predator for 360 with my two friends every weekend. We constantly make maps, and have hours of fun. I am sick of constantly having games with no 4 player support. I understand its hard to do, but I am sure they can find a way. Why make a console have 4 Players, when all of the games that come out don't bother? Some of us don't like playing with 12 year olds screaming and *****ing. I am not too Xbox live heavy, and I want to make *****in maps to show off to my real life friends. Why cant they just add it? FC:IP had it, why cant FC2?

#2. LACK OF ANIMALS

It is africa. Why are there only Zebras, gazelle, and wildebeest? From what we know at least. There should at least be Crocodiles or Lions.

#3. LACK OF CROUCH
How the hell can you make a shooter without crouch? What about us who love to snipe/sneak? I am sorry, but that is just plain stupid.

Thats really all I can complain about.

adarwinter
09-15-2008, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JMareel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">posted by adarwinter... i have high hopes for GTA IV PC but not so much from UBI. vegas and assassins creed were VERY un-moddable. i dont see UBI going the extra length into giving us the ability to tweak their games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

adarwinter... Well first off let me tell you that thanks for the high hopes of GTAIV coming to the PC. But lets not digress and make this a post about GTAIV.

Don't you think as a community we can make a difference and sway Ubi's actions in creating an SDK for us and making Far Cry 2 mod-friendly?! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If we make that big of a fuss and drum up support for the mod community we can lead a movement for a game that will include mod tools and/or SDK that could change the way Far Cry 2 is viewed and played. Let's be the voice that represents many many other gamers and make some waves that will allow us to eventually create the experience that other gamers envision for this great game. If they don't listen to us then Far Cry 2 will consquently be just one of those games that will be popular for a little under a year then fade away.

adarwinter, lets try to lead the modding community here and and your fan site farcry2game.com to get Ubi to listen to those, the gamers, who will eventually decide how BIG Far Cry 2 becomee! I'm up for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ... are you?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as much as your emotional and erosive speech caught me in the moment i dont see this happening. i believe a SDK is a lot of work to make. something that the community can work with needs to be rather user friendly and tweaked and bug free and that's effort, time and money that UBI will not put into this. they are certain that their game is enough for what it is and no need to make an extra effort to sell it. especially when it's a SDK that can only be used on the PC - the weakest platform.

but personally all i need is for the game to have some easy to edit INI files. STALKER has many many mods (mods that add weapon sway, bullet drops, change prices, randomness effects and ballistics and many other things) without an SDK. all thanks to easy to edit files. even if all we can change in FC2 are numbers than that's already a lot.
they dont need a SDK for that. just keep the files un-pached or un-archived. not like they did on Assassins creed. and my god, that game needed some tweaks...

SteveoBuTTCuTT,
1 - yes. if i had a console i guess that would annoy me too, but i think it's too demanding on the console to have split screen. the game needs to render twice the data which it can barely render once. there are not a lot of open world games that have split screen (if any at all) for that reason.

2 - i also wish there would be predators in the game but there aren't and i dont think this will take a lot from the gameplay. no big deal in most ppl's eyes.

3 - you mean - no prone. u CAN crouch (kneel). but u can't prone (lie down).

THE_C0RVAX
09-15-2008, 05:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveoBuTTCuTT:
#2. LACK OF ANIMALS

It is africa. Why are there only Zebras, gazelle, and wildebeest? From what we know at least. There should at least be Crocodiles or Lions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wouldnt expect you to know this but they said that theyd add more animals after the game shiped. maybe dlc or an online update.

LooperNor
09-15-2008, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveoBuTTCuTT:
#2. LACK OF ANIMALS

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After reading an interview with, I think it was Clint Hocking, I understood why. If there was predators, that means you should be able to train them, breed them, and send an army of lions into an enemy camp... Now, I might agree seeing enemys beeing chewed up by lions, might be fun, but it would ruin the core gameplay...
I think their choice of not having predators in the game is a good one...

JMareel
09-15-2008, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter...
but personally all i need is for the game to have some easy to edit INI files. STALKER has many many mods (mods that add weapon sway, bullet drops, change prices, randomness effects and ballistics and many other things) without an SDK. all thanks to easy to edit files. even if all we can change in FC2 are numbers than that's already a lot.
they dont need a SDK for that. just keep the files un-pached or un-archived. not like they did on Assassins creed. and my god, that game needed some tweaks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really didn't think of the option that Ubi could provide us with easy-to-edit files in the game and no SDK which would still allow us to alter the game. Even if all we could edit are numbers like you said that could change a whole lot of how the game functions. At the least I sure do hope we get files like that. If that's the case then I hope it will be somewhat easy to find someone that knows how to edit files like that for the mod we are trying to create.

BoxTrick
09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm just worried that the game devs actually put more focus on the MP and made a half-put together single player game, just like what Ubisoft has done alot of times.

wildthyme
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoxTrick:
I'm just worried that the game devs actually put more focus on the MP and made a half-put together single player game, just like what Ubisoft has done alot of times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm yes that could be a problem. How does the MP work? Will a section of the map be sectioned off for MP or are the a number of specially created MP maps about 1km2 ? I hope the story at least has some bite to it.

KingDustero
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">So far the single player looks awesome. If you're right about the multiplayer being way better than the single player, then I'm happy. Look at COD4. It is currently the best FPS out there and it only has 6 to 8 hours of SP. Now of days I don't care that much about SP as long as the game has a really good MP.</span>

thanom
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I am little concered about the normal people (can't remember the right word). Is there going to be women or yongsters and children? or just men againgst men? That wasn't my point of concerne. The point was if they acted and behaved convincing. (sorry for my bad english)

Fedaykin552
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM
As awesome as Far Cry 2 looks, I too have my main problems. I hope the devs read this topic.

#1. (so far) NO SPLITSCREEN
Now I know what your thinking, "PC OR NONE N00B". Believe me when I tell you my PC can run this game. I want the Xbox 360 version though. I play Far Cry Instincts Predator for 360 with my two friends every weekend. We constantly make maps, and have hours of fun. I am sick of constantly having games with no 4 player support. I understand its hard to do, but I am sure they can find a way. Why make a console have 4 Players, when all of the games that come out don't bother? Some of us don't like playing with 12 year olds screaming and *****ing. I am not too Xbox live heavy, and I want to make *****in maps to show off to my real life friends. Why cant they just add it? FC:IP had it, why cant FC2?

#2. LACK OF ANIMALS

#3. LACK OF CROUCH
How the hell can you make a shooter without crouch? What about us who love to snipe/sneak? I am sorry, but that is just plain stupid.

Thats really all I can complain about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on split screen thing but for #3 you can crouch. I think you mean there is no prone. I thought that was going to ruin quite a few games but it actually isn't that bad.

thraxus1983
09-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I have different cocerns for the PC and console versions.

PC concerns
1. No Modding, hopefully that changes when the player base is established.

2. Lack of Support, honestly this worries me more than modding.

Console Concerns
1. Game of the month syndrome, anyone with a 360 knows what I'm talking about here. If you look at the other games being released around the same time Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, ect. you could see the majority of the player base leave with in a month.

2. Match making, I hope that they do something other than lobby searchs for ranked games with an option for created maps, think Halo style match making not COD4. player matches should be lobby search though.

3. No split screen, It is truly a shame that more and more devolpers are dropping this and saying that online play and system link are good enough.

4. Customizable controls, A ton of console games are leaving this out in recent time (even some PC games), it can really ruin a game if you can't change the controls I know personally if I switch between Halo 3 and CoD4 it takes a few games before I reload instead of tossing a nad, this is more of a grip than a concern I just wish more devs treated this like how Free Radicals does than what has been going on recently.

Overall Concerns
1. Too many ideas, Ubi wants to do a ton in this game but far to often when a devolper tries this we get a whole buch of average just look at Too Human or Fable (I know different genre but the comparison works).

2.Over Simplified Map Editor, This is a dual edge sword on one hand it opens it up to people that aren't technical that have great ideas, but on the other hand you will be flooded with sub-par multiplayer maps that will slowly turn newcomers away from the game. I know this will shorten the games life on console for sure and maybe even the PC.

3. HP/ damage ratio, It's a simple mechanic that can make or break a game I haven't heard anything on how much health you vs damage you can deal. Overall this is what made games like Halo, CoD, and Gears of War while ruining games like Time Spliters 3, Perfect Dark Zero, ect. This is more important for MP than anything else.

Darklord_NL
09-28-2008, 04:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoxTrick:
I'm just worried that the game devs actually put more focus on the MP and made a half-put together single player game, just like what Ubisoft has done alot of times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uuhm, i actually think the devs have put more time into Single Player rather than Multiplayer ( Why would they include a 50+ hour Single Player campaign if they only focused on Multiplayer?) I think the devs want us ( the gamers ) to experience the Single Player story, and that Multiplayer is just something extra.

But atleast im buying FC2 for its Single Player. i'll probably play through Single Player a couple of times before i head to Multiplayer.

SonicSafais
09-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Yea, singleplayer will be great.

The PCGamer review described it better than anyone else:

They said something like:
"Far Cry 2 isn't perfect,don't expect it to be that, but no game is. Far Cry 2 is a really good game afterall and many people will enjoy it."

It's going to be good, SP will be awsome I'm sure and MP won't be bad,it'll be ok,not only because they got some very good guy into their team about a year ago who has 30 years of experience with MP and participated in some really good MP shooters as well.
They hired him to make the MP part better, that alone shows that they actually care about MP,more than we thought.

MagnumRel8ed
09-29-2008, 04:12 AM
all of these are my concerns except for the night gameplay. Although it may seem bright now just think of how impossible the game would be able to play at night if it wasn't bright, sniping in the night would be impossible and the AI would see you before you could see them becuase there not affected by the night(as far as I can Tell)The only way I could see that kind of stuff working is if you had night vision.

jmcorp
09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MagnumRel8ed:
all of these are my concerns except for the night gameplay. Although it may seem bright now just think of how impossible the game would be able to play at night if it wasn't bright, sniping in the night would be impossible and the AI would see you before you could see them becuase there not affected by the night(as far as I can Tell)The only way I could see that kind of stuff working is if you had night vision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the A.I is not affected by night?

the vids you've been watching must have been different to mine...

because the A.I ARE affected by nighttime, their view, hearing distance decreases, making it easier to sneak up on an entire patrol of troops without them noticing.

at night time the enemy tend to stay closer, around camp fires e.t.c due to their reduction in sight distance, on the other hand if you are seen at night time, the enemy will fight you harder and more viciously, this is the balance.

oh and i think the reason ppl post less night time stealth gameplay is because they fear they will fail...

dab0r
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
we havent really seen much night. it mostly consists of getting one shot off at an enemy guard with a very noisy sniper rifle, or running into a group of enemies with a loud LMG, then being spotted and saying "wtf wheres the stealth system"?!?! theres no real way to tell how the ai REALLY behaves at night while they havent spotted you, since as we see, you're always spotted (and you shouldve been considering what you were doing)

adarwinter
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dab0r:
we havent really seen much night. it mostly consists of getting one shot off at an enemy guard with a very noisy sniper rifle, or running into a group of enemies with a loud LMG, then being spotted and saying "wtf wheres the stealth system"?!?! theres no real way to tell how the ai REALLY behaves at night while they havent spotted you, since as we see, you're always spotted (and you shouldve been considering what you were doing) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

u r currect but there WAS a video on gametrailers called "night" where the stealth was well shown. it looks OK.
there has been a rahter old video that shows the player shooting light bulbs out at night. i wonder if light sources will make u, the player, much more visible to the AI...

also i would assume that during the night the vision of the AI will decrease while the hearing will increase.

magnumrel8ed, i think that sniping at night IS a bad idea and shouldnt be sported in FC2. yes, the view distance is smaller but that's cuz sniping at night shouldn't be easy. the way UBI deals with night seems a little too mechanic to me. in FC2 the objects close to the player are way too bright and the view distance is much shorter and it ends abruptly.
in real life think close by are not really that brights and they view distance doesnt end abruptly but gradually from less visible than what u see in FC2 (close by) to something more visible at far.
crysis and stalker:clear sky handles night time much better and in a more realistic manner without night vision. the night time in those games is more compelling and more realistic and the balance remains thanks to the fact that the cover of darkness works both ways - it's hard for the enemies to see u coming but it's also hard for the payer to see the enemies coming.